PDA

View Full Version : Just Starting Out

Neftren
2007-06-01, 11:48 PM
So after a basic crash course through D&D by my friend, I figured out most of the basics. Anyone care to guide me through the complex process from the very beginning? Also, if anyone has helpful tips for a beginner.

No, I do not currently own any of them fancy spell books or whatnot. I'm pretty much in unfamiliar territory and I am just starting out...

brian c
2007-06-01, 11:55 PM
I'd suggest looking over at http://www.d20srd.org/ for all the free information that's available. Other than that, it would help if you were more specific. What exactly do you want/need to know, what are you interested in? Are you about to make a character, and if so what do you want him (or her) to be like? Spellcaster, fighter, healer, sneaky guy, etc.

Dawgas
2007-06-01, 11:55 PM
Complex process of what?

Probably the best thing I can do right now is link you to the http://www.d20srd.org (SRD) and hope that's what you're looking for.

Neftren
2007-06-01, 11:57 PM
Ah, thank you. I'd tell you guys the specific information but I have no idea what's needed in the first place >.> One of those wierd paradoxes when starting out.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 12:05 AM
Right, someone explain to me the difference between a Half Elf and an Elf. I have gone so far as to decide on either of those two races (depending on what the difference is). Also, what does Alignment play on your character other than for obvious RP reasons?

dyslexicfaser
2007-06-02, 12:16 AM
Besides the RP stuff, it can involve some small stuff involving cleric spells (protection from law/chaos, stuff like that), and some classes need to be a certain alignment, like paladins have to be lawful good.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 12:17 AM
Okay, well I'm going for ranger so I guess I can be whatever I want?

Okay, a lot of the stuff here is similar to the KotOR games in a sense... lets see if I can use that knowledge.

Rahdjan
2007-06-02, 12:18 AM
I'll answer the alignment question. It plays a part in your class availability and to some degree the feats you can take. Monks have to be Lawful, Barbarians have to be chaotic. There are also feats for good and evil characters depending on what books your looking in. Also, DMs percieve the alignments to be able to do different things so make sure you ask your DM what role alignments will play in your game.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 12:19 AM
Ahhh, is there a way to change your alignment?

I mean, after you've made the character...

Also, does anyone have a character sheet template or anything I can use temporarily?

Morrandir
2007-06-02, 12:20 AM
Elves have more of the benefits of being an Elf (More bonuses, the higher dexterity, able to use longswords, rapiers, and bows without killing themselves, etc.). However, Half-elves don't get the drawbacks. Lower Constitution, most notably. You'll just have to read up on them and decide, really. Just remember, if you get halfway through making your character and decide to be a different race, you can go ahead and switch. Usually. Depends on how evil your Game Master is.

Alignment is a guideline. Mostly RP, though some classes and items take it into account. A Paladin, for instance, MUST be Lawful Good, putting others above themselves, essentially. (Don't get on my case. We don't need an Alignment War here.)

The items that deal with alignment are pretty advanced, and HOPEFULLY, you won't come across them.

P.S. There are ways to change alignment. If you go against it, congrats! You have a new alignment! Just be warned that if your class was relying on a certain alignment, you may lose benefits.

Rahdjan
2007-06-02, 12:22 AM
There are certain spells and magical items that will do it while acting in accordance to the alignment you want is up to the DM. Some will argue that a single evil act is enough to make someone fall from good to evil and yet a life time of good just wont errase that village you slaughtered.

Remember, you can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 12:26 AM
Haha, okay since I wanna have a starting age of 110, I'll roll an elf >.>

Here's what I got so far. Tell me if I missed anything.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Race: Elf
Alignment: Neutral Good

Class: Ranger
Height:
Weight: 85 x 1d6 (Rolled a 1) = 85 lbs.
Okay, so what if I'm younger than "middle aged"?
Also, how the freak do I roll the 1d4? It's got 3 numbers on it on each side!

Neftren
2007-06-02, 12:41 AM

Also, how do I determine what feats/skills I get every level?

Rahdjan
2007-06-02, 12:41 AM
on any given side only 1 number will be shown right side up. It's usually at the top or point of the dice but I have seen them at the bottom too. Just look at which ever number is right side up.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 12:45 AM

Also, how do I determine what feats/skills I get every level?

Can someone answer the above.

Height:4' 5" + 2d6 (Rolled two 6's so I assume 1ft gain?) = 5ft 5in.

Level:--Base Attack Bonus:--Fort Save:-------Ref Save:------Will Save:
1st--------------+1----------------+2-------------+2 ----------------+0
---------Special Abilities:
---------------------Favored Enemy: Goblins, Track, Wild Empathy

Also, what's Ref?

Tomkin
2007-06-02, 12:52 AM
You are about to start playing the most awesome game ever. Tell us how it goes!

Re skills/feats: At 1st level and every 3rd level thereafter (that is, 3rd, 6th,9th, etc.) you may pick one feat for which you qualify (it should have a little blerb telling you the prerequisites). As for skills, at every level you may distribute your skill points however you want. As a ranger you get 6 + INT modifier points per level, and that number times 4 at first level. Remember that although you can distribute skill points however you want, the maximum number of points you can invest in a skill is equal to your total level + 3. Also remember that one skill point in a cross-class skill only counts as 1/2 a point.

Also, you should try to find an experienced DM if you don't have one. It will be SO much easier, believe me.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 12:57 AM
So virtually identical to how KotOR does it, except it's a 2 and 1 for cross class rather than the 1/2 here. Right, how do I determine my intelligence/stats/etc?

Neftren
2007-06-02, 01:13 AM
Hmm d20srd doesn't specify how to get attributes... I'm totally clueless. Are there default attributes for an elf ranger?

Dhavaer
2007-06-02, 01:32 AM
Ability generation varies from game to game. Your DM should specify.

Bassetking
2007-06-02, 01:33 AM
Roll 4d6, drop the lowest roll.

Do this six times.

Congrats, you have your attributes.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 01:35 AM
Ignore that. Thanks!

RTGoodman
2007-06-02, 01:38 AM
Okay, a lot of the stuff here is similar to the KotOR games in a sense... lets see if I can use that knowledge.

That's because the KotOR games are based entirely off of the d20 system, which is also the basis for D&D. Now isn't that convenient? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, you asked for a character sheet - behold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/charactersheets)! You can print out all you want. If you're just starting out, I've heard that the 4-page "Revised v3.5" sheet (the first one) is best.

Also, you might want to check out the following articles from the Wizards of the Coast website. They go step-by-step in creating a character and filling out your very first character sheet.

Facing a Character Sheet: Part 1 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070109), Part 2 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070123), and Part 3 (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070206).

Neftren
2007-06-02, 01:41 AM

Attributes:
Str: 12
Dex: 20 (18 + 2 Racial Bonus = 20)
Con: 14 (16 - 2 Racial Penalty = 14)
Int: 15
Wis: 15
Cha: 13

Skills: 25 Total
Diplomacy: 6
Climb: 7
Escape Artist: 7
Move Silently: 5

Feats:

Right, what else do I need now? Skills and Feats?
Also, suggestions would be nice! I'm logging off now but I'll be back soon to check up on some stuff.

Khoran
2007-06-02, 01:49 AM

Attributes:
Dex: 18 + 2 Racial Bonus = 20
Con: 16 - 2 Racial Penalty = 14

That's right. Skills and Feats. As Elf Ranger with 15 Int, you should be starting with 32 Skill Points at first level and gaining 8 Skill points per level. Your class skills are detailed on the SRD page, so there is no need for me to list them again. Unfortunatly, I am not an expert with Rangers so I don't know what 8 skills would be "best" aside from Survival being a corner stone.

The max rank you can have in a skill at 1st level is 4, and then it goes up one each level after that.

As for Feats, you have one of them and I am unsure of what you would like to take, personally, and am unsure of what resources you have available to you (Though I assume just core.) Based on your stats, I am guessing you are going to be a bow ranger, so picking up feats that help your archery that you don't get through class abilities would most likely be best.

Also, welcome to the game. :)

Neftren
2007-06-02, 01:52 AM

Attributes:

Skills: 25 Total
Diplomacy: 3
Climb: 5
Escape Artist: 7
Move Silently: 3
Survival: 7

Feats:

Also, suggestions would be nice! I'm logging off now but I'll be back soon to check up on some stuff.

Latest update, read the little blurb. Anyway, I found a useful die roller on DnD's site so I can use that now yay!

Khoran
2007-06-02, 02:02 AM
Alright, so I peaked around, and here is what I think.

For your first level Feat, you should get Point Blank Shot, then at 3rd level I'd recomend Precice Shot.

Skills, I'm just going to take a crack out. Your milage may vary.

Climb: 4
Hide: 4
Listen: 4
Move Silently: 4
Search: 4
Spot: 4
Survival: 4
Use Rope: 4

I avoided the Knowledges, since I don't know what kinda guy you are going for. However, those are a handful of skills that I think would be generally useful. However, if you find something in there that you don't like, feel free to change it. :)

Jack Mann
2007-06-02, 02:12 AM
You got the weight wrong, but that's understandable. Took me some careful reading to figure out those charts.

What you're supposed to do is roll for your height. Mark down the number, and add it to the base height. Roll for your weight. Here's where it gets confusing. You don't multiply that by the base weight, or else you'd see a fair number of quarter-ton elves. What you do is you multiply the number you rolled for height with the number you rolled for weight, and add that to the base weight. Your elf should, therefore, weigh 97 lbs.

Bassetking
2007-06-02, 02:19 AM
You got the weight wrong, but that's understandable. Took me some careful reading to figure out those charts.

What you're supposed to do is roll for your height. Mark down the number, and add it to the base height. Roll for your weight. Here's where it gets confusing. You don't multiply that by the base weight, or else you'd see a fair number of quarter-ton elves. What you do is you multiply the number you rolled for height with the number you rolled for weight, and add that to the base weight. Your elf should, therefore, weigh 97 lbs.

Best.

Character Concept.

EVER.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-06-02, 02:22 AM
First, I would highly suggest reading up the Skill Summary (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/skillsSummary.htm) to get a better idea of what skills are all about, how many points you can put into them, and whatnot.

But the basics:

There are two types of skills: Class skills, and Cross-Class skills. Class skills are those skills which your particular class tends to use a lot and are trained in, such as the Survival skill for Rangers. Cross-Class skills are those which are not normally attributed to that particular class, and he must effectively learn them in his own spare time as a hobby, such as a Fighter learning Spellcraft.

Rangers have very good skill selection, and a lot of skill points to put into them. From KotR terms, I'd probably equate them to a Bounty Hunter. That's not an exact match (Rangers don't get +d6 attacks, for instance), but it is close.

Rangers are typically in the role of a Scout, someone who can detect ambush, and set one up if necessary. They're also typically the one who is able to track things. In fact, they have several class abilities later on which increases their ability to track things.

If this is something you want to do, I'd suggest some of the following skills:

Survival. This is an important skill for you to get, probably THE most important since only two other classes get this as a class skill (Barbarians and Druids). This skill lets you use your free Track feat to it's utmost, and can be used to bail a party out of trouble when they get problems with terrain.

Hide and Move Silently. These two skills, when paired, make you very difficult to find, which can be very helpful in setting ambushes as well as not being seen while you scout ahead.

Spot, Search, and Listen. These three are your sensory skills. Many are confused about Spot and Search, so let me clarify now... Search is when you are actively looking for something, like a secret door. Spot is a passive 'Did you just see that?' sort of skill that usually isn't as good at finding things, but can be done without your character knowing he should be looking for something. Of course, Listen is used to detect noises.

Handle Animal. This is another skill that not too many classes get. You'll find it most useful if your party picks up a Dungeon Mule or you want to start teaching your Animal Companion tricks after you get one.

Knowledge: Nature, Knowledge: Dungeoneering, and Knowledge: Geography are all useful skills which add to your ability to track through synergy bonuses.

Use Rope: Handy if you're wanting to tie someone up

Climb: Nice for climbing anything from trees to cliff faces

Swim: Another mobility type skill. Not too many people get it, but a couple of ranks couldn't hurt

Skills I would not reccomend:

Diplomacy. That's not really a strong point for Rangers. Let someone else who has a faster tongue do that.

Escape Artist. Again, thisisn't on your Class Skills list, so spending 4 skill points only gives you 2 ranks, so probably not the best choice unless you simply want to make absolutely sure you have ways of getting loose if you get captured.

IMPORTANT NOTE
Your stats will modify your total skill in your skills and also affect your saves. When you look at a skill, it will have a stat listed in parenthesis next to it, such as Survival (Wis). This stat is what is used to modify your total skill in that skill. So, for example, if you had a Wisdom of 15, you would have a Wisdom Modifier of +2. So if you took 4 ranks in Survival, and you had a Wisdom of 15, you would have a total skill of 6 in Survival. Wisdom is also the stat needed for your Will save, which starts out at 0 for a Ranger at 1st level, would be increased to 2.

Tomkin
2007-06-02, 07:58 AM
Just being a semi-power gamer here, you might want to switch your STR and INT scores. Mostly it depends what combat style you're choosing. If you're planning on taking Two-Weapon Fighting at second level, you should try for a higher STR; if you're taking Ranged combat style STR isn't as important.

Also, don't forget to roll hit points. Your hit points at first level are equal to the max you can roll on your Hit Die plus your CON modifier - in this case, 8 (max. of 1d8) + 2 (CON mod) = 10 HP. And as several people pointed out, the skills are done wrong.

You know, maybe they should have an example of character creation in the Player's Handbook for things like this. That would be useful.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 08:47 AM
The extraordinary high Dex compared to Str is because I plan on being an Archer rather than more of a Melee. I also heard somewhere that the feat Weapon Finesse is here as well allowing you to substitute Dex for a hit roll...

Okay here's another shot at the skills:

Weight: 97 lbs. (Fixed? or no?)

Attributes:
Str: 15
Int: 12

Skills: 28 Total

Feats:
Point Blank Shot

Khoran
2007-06-02, 09:19 AM
Looking good, I'm assuming that these skills are including Ability Bonuses and Armor Check Penalty? If not, remember, the highest rank you may have is 4 in a skill However, you may want to see how much gold you are supposed to get at start before you do equiptment. He might either be doing average starting gold or the rolling for it.

And yes, you did your weight right this time.

Skyserpent
2007-06-02, 09:44 AM

Math! It's what's for dinner!

Neftren
2007-06-02, 01:40 PM
Looking good, I'm assuming that these skills are including Ability Bonuses and Armor Check Penalty? If not, remember, the highest rank you may have is 4 in a skill However, you may want to see how much gold you are supposed to get at start before you do equiptment. He might either be doing average starting gold or the rolling for it.

And yes, you did your weight right this time.

Wait, I'm such an idiot. Skills are maxed out by Level + 3. Okay, I'm an idiot. I'll go fix the chart. Ahahaha I'm the ultra light elf that's lived 124 yrs!

Okay, what else am I missing?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-06-02, 01:49 PM
My suggestion: Switch your Int and your Str scores. This will let you do more damage with a Mighty Composite Longbow.

You're also missing quite a few skillpoints. Rangers have (6+Int Mod) *4 skill points at level 1. Most people generally take that to mean you have 6 + Int Mod skills you can cap.

This means with an int of 15 (as you do currently), you'd actually have 8*4 = 32 skill points. Quite a few more than you've got listed. Even with an Int of 12, you'd still have 7*4 = 28 skill points.

Morrandir
2007-06-02, 01:55 PM
Well, you know, elves mature at 90 :smallbiggrin:

As far as the build goes, it looks good, if your math is right. I don't play fighty-types that often, nor do I with skillmonkeys. Now you need equipment.

Personally, I'd suggest light armor, as you won't be up front beating things, but you need something to deflect the occasional melee fighter that slips past your frontline friends, and the arrows they shoot back. If it gets too heavy, it slows your movement and you can't avoid many enemies.

Weapon-wise, it's up to you. I like crossbows, myself, but bows are more effective for number of attacks per round, and the feats available for them. Unless you want to spend a feat on a repeating crossbow proficiency.

Random adventuring stuff? Basics: bedroll, food, waterskin, backpack. After that, whatever you think might be useful. Let your DM know what you have, if they're any good, they'll find uses for a couple of your items.

My group has so much fun with 10-foot poles :smalltongue:

de-trick
2007-06-02, 02:25 PM
first i welcome you to DnD

secondly for equipment with your Dex id say take a light weapon which are the following Dagger, punching Dagger ,spiked Gauntlet, light Mace, Sickle
throwing Axe, light Hammer, Handaxe, Kukri, light Pick, Sap, light Shield, Spiked armor, Spiked shield, Sword short, rapier, whip, or spiked chain

third for other equipment think if you were going on a medieval adventure what basic things do you need food, cloths, water, bandages, sacks and many many others

forth with a 20 or +5 Dex id say get the best armor that allows you to keep your Dex bonus

id go with a studded leather

Neftren
2007-06-02, 02:50 PM
The extraordinary high Dex compared to Str is because I plan on being an Archer rather than more of a Melee. I also heard somewhere that the feat Weapon Finesse is here as well allowing you to substitute Dex for a hit roll...

Okay here's another shot at the skills:

Weight: 97 lbs. (Fixed? or no?)

Attributes:
Str: 15
Int: 12

Skills: 28 Total

Feats:
Point Blank Shot

Hmm, okay so I made the attribute and skill changes. As for gear, I prefer longbows or composite bows so I'll go check the book for stuff. For weapons I think I like Longswords or Rapiers... probably a dual wield pattern but with shields... what's the benefit of a shield?

For armor, I traditionally like chainmail items... I dunno, I guess I'll keep looking.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-06-02, 03:13 PM
Best.

Character Concept.

EVER.

"What!? Not all Elves are those anorexics you read about in the ancient scrolls!"

XD

Matthew
2007-06-02, 03:26 PM
Hmmn. I would be inclined to go with this array:

Strength 13
Dexterity 18(20)
Constitution 16(14)
Intelligence 15
Wisdom 15
Charisma 12

Mainly because at Level Four you can jack up your Strength to 14 and gain the full benefits, but you'll never get those lost Skill Points back from Intelligence. Alternatively, swap Wisdom with Strength and jack up your Wisdom at Level Four.

de-trick
2007-06-02, 03:42 PM
shield give you a bonus to AC (armor class)

Morrandir
2007-06-02, 06:53 PM
Yeah, shields give more armor, in trade for a higher armor check penalty. The two notably special ones are the Buckler and Tower Shield.

The Buckler can be used on the same arm as a weapon, but gives a -1 to attack rolls, and loses the AC bonus until your next turn, IIRC.

The Tower Shield can be used for cover, preventing attacks from landing, in return for you sitting there like a turtle.

Accersitus
2007-06-02, 07:13 PM
Don't forget to add some rope to your equipment, or make sure that someone else in the party brings rope. You always end up needing rope at some time.

Neftren
2007-06-02, 08:20 PM
Right, now I'm just filling out the sheets. Currently just level one. Is it a bad idea for me to just build in another 5 or 6 levels if I'm just starting out?

Matthew
2007-06-02, 08:28 PM
No, but be prepared to change course at any given Level Up. Best to use a Heavy shield at Level 1 (or at least have one available).

BardicDuelist
2007-06-02, 09:36 PM
www.rpgwebprofiler.net has online character sheets.

Wizards has a tutorial at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/playdnd

Neftren
2007-06-03, 08:08 AM
Okay, anyone know if there is an online encyclopedia for weapons/armor in D&D?

Also, filling out the sheet now.

What does ECL stand for, what can be an Elf's Religion/Patron Deity, what are "Looks". How do I calculate speed + Initiative Modifier.

kjones
2007-06-03, 08:58 AM
This (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/equipment.htm) has pretty much everything you would need at first level.

ECL stands for "Equivalent Character Level", which in your case is just how many levels you have.

Your patron deity can be anything you choose, though if it's someone like Gruumsh (god of orcs) then you'd need to justify it somehow. Standard deities for elves are Correlon Larethian, Goddess of Elves, and Ehlonna, Goddess of Nature. Make sure you get one whose alignment corresponds at least somewhat with your own.

Speed depends on your race and how much stuff you're carrying. First, elves have a base speed of 30ft per round. If you're wearing medium or heavy armor, this drops to 20ft per round (but, as a ranger, you shouldn't have that kind of armor in the first place.) Then, add up the weight of all your equipment, weapons and armor inclusive. There is a table here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm) that tells you how heavy that load is relative to your strength. If you are carrying a medium or heavy load, your speed decreases. Try to lighten up.

Initiative modifier, by default, is just your dexterity modifier. There are feats, such as Improved Initiative, that you can take to improve this.

Looks are entirely up to you, but it might help to look at some pictures of elves in fantasy. Just Google it.

Neftren
2007-06-03, 10:34 PM
Is Correlon Larethian an acceptable patron for a Neutral Good?

Bassetking
2007-06-03, 10:47 PM
Is Correlon Larethian an acceptable patron for a Neutral Good?

You're an Elf. Corrie L. is an appropriate Deity no matter what you're doing.

PMDM
2007-06-04, 01:34 AM
Welcome to the game. People should post help topics like these more often. As a ranger, keep in mind that as you level, you soon will have access to divine spells. Those need Wisdom to cast, though. Unlike Wizards, who need Intelligence to cast.

Neftren
2007-06-04, 06:10 AM
Ah, okay, so bump that as well? Considering adding another 6-8 levels or so...

Storm Bringer
2007-06-04, 06:51 AM
when you say '6-8 levels'. are you on about character levels? if not, levels of what?