PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Redcloak vs Monster in the Darkness

Jankmaster98
2015-11-19, 03:40 AM
Because of Certain actions taken during Start of Darkness, or perhaps because The Monster figures how really how bad Redcloak was treating Mr. Stiffly, do you think in the next book or really at any tie in the series we will see a confrontation between Xykon's two most powerful lackies? I for one think that would be awesome to see, but we can't be sure I guess until it happens. So... Thoughts?

foobar1969
2015-11-19, 09:59 AM
Well, we know that Redcloak will betray Xykon (with the gate ritual), and Xykon ordered the Monster in the Darkness to eat Redcloak if he does. So yes, this confrontation will happen.

King of Nowhere
2015-11-19, 12:12 PM
the story is pushing the mitd to swap with the good guys, so i think it just as likely that it will side against xykon if it can. unless... maybe mitd will abandon xykon when the oots break into the final room, only to be magically compelled to still fight for xykon. and redcloak will fight for... huh. there are too many conflicting loyalties there to make reliable predictions.

grandpheonix
2015-11-19, 01:13 PM
I like to think MiTD will eat Red Cloak when Red Cloak tries to get MiTD on his side, against Xykon.

Its gonna happen during the confrontation, at the exact moment we find out with MiTD really is.

*drops umbrella* Chomp!

TCRM
2015-11-20, 05:18 PM
I like to think MiTD will eat Red Cloak when Red Cloak tries to get MiTD on his side, against Xykon.

Its gonna happen during the confrontation, at the exact moment we find out with MiTD really is.

*drops umbrella* Chomp!

I don't know... Redcloak has always seemed like the most battle savy of Team Evil to me. Real flexible with spell casting and quick to learn. I think it would be weird for him to go down easy.

Roland Itiative
2015-11-21, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I also don't think that Redcloak will go down without a fight. He has his own contingencies, including Xykon's phylactery.

If the MitD's geas is activated, only for Xykon to notice that his continued existence is effectively linked with Redcloak's (assuming the MitD can casually destroy the phylactery, which considering his power is probably the case) we'll have a great source of tension.

Wildroses
2015-11-24, 12:11 AM
My pet theory is the monster will turn on Redcloak and Xykon after he watches them kill O'Chul. They have no idea of the strength of his attachment right now and an enraged monster is going to cause a lot of collateral damage.

Zwiebelchen
2015-11-24, 08:56 AM
I don't think that the MitD will directly betray Xykon. It has the mentality of a child, after all. Childs mostly won't turn on their parents, regardless of what they think is right or not. I think it might oppose, but it will never actually attack Xykon. Redcloak, however, is a completely different story.

The question is more: would Redcloak even need the MitD against Xykon? When I truly think about the dynamic between Xykon and Redcloak, then Xykon is definitely "the dragon", while Redcloak is the evil mastermind pulling the strings. I would be surprised if Redcloak isn't the "final boss" in this story. Besides, in a true fight between Xykon and Redcloak, he would have all the advantages on his side anyway: Direct access to the Phylactery, protection spells for days (especially against Xykons favorite spell Meteor Swarm), enough healing spells to outlast all of Xykon's spellslots and a horde of goblins under his command.

Wizards are good, but they are nothing without protection.

TCRM
2015-11-25, 11:17 AM
I don't think that the MitD will directly betray Xykon. It has the mentality of a child, after all. Childs mostly won't turn on their parents, regardless of what they think is right or not. I think it might oppose, but it will never actually attack Xykon. Redcloak, however, is a completely different story.

The question is more: would Redcloak even need the MitD against Xykon? When I truly think about the dynamic between Xykon and Redcloak, then Xykon is definitely "the dragon", while Redcloak is the evil mastermind pulling the strings. I would be surprised if Redcloak isn't the "final boss" in this story. Besides, in a true fight between Xykon and Redcloak, he would have all the advantages on his side anyway: Direct access to the Phylactery, protection spells for days (especially against Xykons favorite spell Meteor Swarm), enough healing spells to outlast all of Xykon's spellslots and a horde of goblins under his command.

Wizards are good, but they are nothing without protection.

Xykon is a lich. He is his own muscle.

littlebum2002
2015-11-25, 11:44 AM

So you think the whole dialog between O-Chul and the MitD trying to convince him he's Good was just a massive waste of time then?

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-01, 07:10 PM
Xykon is a lich. He is his own muscle.

Wholeheartedly agreed. Beyond the whole 'Lich' thing, he's also an epic level spellcaster. Redcloak is level 17 (maybe level 18 if he recently gained one). It would be verily suprising to me if Xykon didn't have bigger protections in place. He's been crafting magic items 8 hours a day, after all (and knows contingency).

Edit: On topic, The Monster wins.

Zwiebelchen
2015-12-02, 06:05 AM
So you think the whole dialog between O-Chul and the MitD trying to convince him he's Good was just a massive waste of time then?
Define "good". And why would that have anything to do with MitD turning against Xykon?
Between "fight for Xykon" and "fight for Redcloak" is also "don't fight at all".

littlebum2002
2015-12-02, 02:47 PM
Define "good". And why would that have anything to do with MitD turning against Xykon?
Between "fight for Xykon" and "fight for Redcloak" is also "don't fight at all".

Because the entire point of the MitD interacting with O-Chul is to set the stage for his eventual betrayal of Xykon. If he doesn't betray Xykon then he stays a pawn of the Evil characters of the story, and then O-Chul's discussions with him were a waste of time.

Zwiebelchen
2015-12-14, 10:30 AM
If he doesn't betray Xykon then he stays a pawn of the Evil characters of the story, and then O-Chul's discussions with him were a waste of time.
Maybe O-Chuls discussions with him had a different purpose, like pointing out that the MitD actually has a functioning brain beyond infantile reasoning?
It's not like this story wasn't full of red herrings so far.

Nightcanon
2015-12-21, 07:30 PM
I don't think that the MitD will directly betray Xykon. It has the mentality of a child, after all. Childs mostly won't turn on their parents, regardless of what they think is right or not. (snip)
I think if more children had the powers of the MitD (I'm thinking of causing earthquakes by stomping its feet and punching Miko several hundred feet, though a stone wall), there would be more matricides and patricides. In any case, a stubborn, child-like "SHAN'T" at the critical point might be all it takes for someone to overcome Xykon. The MitD doesn't have to eat Xykon to cause his downfall, he just has to refuse to eat Roy/ O'Chul/ V.