PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Fighter Archetype - The Blademaster

Deadandamnation
2015-11-19, 05:05 AM
That archetype take the place of the Champion that is pretty boring and underpowered.

Feel free to comment, i'll appreciate.

The Blademaster is a fighter that use Ki to fight with perfection:

3rd level)

Inproved Critical : You score criticals with attacks with 19, 20.

Unarmored Defense: Whil you wear no armor your AC is 10+dex+wis.

Ki: You get 1 Ki point for any level you have into Fighter class (like a monk). You regain your Ki after a short rest.

Mystical Shield: (1 Ki) You can cast the Shield spell.

Mystical Armor: You can cast Mage Armor on yourself as a Ritual.

Karma Strike: (1 Ki) When you hit an enemy with an attack you can use a Bonus Action to increase the damage by 1d8 and the target must make a wisdom save. If he fail you can chose to impose him a condition: prone, stunned, restrained, poisoned etc. That condition last for one round.

The save DC is based on your wisdom.

Combat Perfection: (1 Ki) You can take the Dodge and Dash Action as a Bonus Action. You take both the bonuses.

5th level)

Wind Walk: (3 Ki) You can cast the Mysty Step spell and become Invisible when you reappear until you concentrate. (That's pretty big as they are two level two spells in one)

Mirror Image: (2 Ki) You can cast the Mirror Image Spell as a Bonus Action.

7th Level)

Evasion: You get the evasion feature.

9th level)

Bladestorm: (3 Ki) You can make one attack against any foe in a 20-foot radius.

Karma Speed: (3 Ki) You can cast the Haste Spell on yourself.

10th Level)

Superior Critical: Your critical chanche become 18/20.

13 th level)

Mystical Freedom (4 Ki) You can cas Freedom of Movement on yourself.

Superior Wind Walk (5 Ki) You can cast the Mysty Step and when you reappear you are under the effect of Greater Invisibility.

15 th level)

Deadly Critical: When you score a critical you roll two additional damage dices instead of one.

17 level)

You should be able to cast one 5th level spell for 5 Ki points I haven't decided yet.

18 th level)

Combat Meditation: When you score a critical you regain 2 Ki points.

I don't think that it will be overpower, do you? Probably is better than many other unoptimized classes and the explanation should be longer about the powers, but i think that's a pretty cool and easy to use class.

Let me know your opinions.

Malifice
2015-11-19, 05:19 AM
MAD, OP to all heck and contains several redundant class features.

Why play a Monk? It's a gestalt fighter monk.

djreynolds
2015-11-19, 05:35 AM
It reminds me of 1st edition Oriental Adventures Kensai .... it could be cool. But actually it may work better as a monk archetype, instead of flurry of blows give flurry of blades. But check out the old book very cool stuff

Deadandamnation
2015-11-19, 05:45 AM
Well why play a monk in any case, monks never get love in DnD. It's MAD as the Eldritch Knight is, the stats should be Dex, Con and Wis or Str, Con and Wis.

The only thing that's maybe broken is the fact that Ki replenish any short rest, maybe increasing the cost of the features by one?

If you compare raw damage a Paladin still hit harder, if you compare defenses you lack all the auras or immunities or healings. If you compare versatily you only get good buff spells but no utilty tools. Maybe evasion features should be removed.

Compared to a Bard or a Sorcerer? That class still suck in my opinion.

Deadandamnation
2015-11-19, 05:52 AM
Well effectively I could make it a Monk that fight with a weapon to give monks some love...i'll do it! Maybe it become better balanced.

Kane0
2015-11-19, 06:04 AM
You might want to have a look at the kensai homebrew, ill link it when i find it

Aha here we are: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?422749-Martial-Archtype-Kensai

Sredni Vashtar
2015-11-19, 10:36 AM
Why should it replace the Champion? I figured the point is that the Champion is supposed to be straightforward. This is an entirely different subclass in both concept and execution.

ShamasTheBard
2015-11-19, 07:19 PM
Why should it replace the Champion? I figured the point is that the Champion is supposed to be straightforward. This is an entirely different subclass in both concept and execution.

I agree, I personally like Champion.

Nowhere Girl
2015-11-19, 10:21 PM
Well why play a monk in any case, monks never get love in DnD. It's MAD as the Eldritch Knight is, the stats should be Dex, Con and Wis or Str, Con and Wis.

Eldritch Knights aren't MAD. If you pump anything besides Con and Dex or Str as an EK, you're doing it wrong. If any of your spell choices is a spell that involves saving throws ... again, you're doing it wrong.

Despite the way the archetype is presented in the book, EKs should not attempt to be mini-wizards. What they are and should focus on being is fighters who have self-buffs, utility spells, and auto-defense spells (e.g., Shield).