PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Homebrew Race

Hydra207
2015-11-19, 05:31 AM
I'm looking for help building a race i have some the basics down i mainly need a name they are humanoid rabbit creatures akin to the appearance of the rabbits from overgrowth the basics are generally a race based of confidence and dexterity think the stats if the Drow but I need a name and race proficiencies, please help

Balyano
2015-11-19, 08:25 AM
Well, rabbits are lagomorphs so for the name you could try something like Lago.
And to mix up the spelling a bit make it Lageau, Lageaux, L'geau, all pronounced the same.

Given a rabbits traits maybe proficiency with perception due to the big ears.
Alternatively don't give them proficiency with perception, but give them advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing.

Since rabbits are good jumpers maybe they should have double jumping height/distance.

I'm thinking there needs so be some sort of ''tricky'' ability of theirs. Not sure what kind. Something like how Halflings can hide behind bigger creatures. Maybe after an attack misses them they can use their reaction to move 5 ft. without provoking an attack. Basically the attack missed because they jumped out of the way reflexively.

As for the confidence part maybe they are so confident that it's hard to tell when they are lying. They are so confident and quick witted, they don't hesitate when telling untruths or implying they have some hidden advantage. So proficiency with bluff, because it's hard to read their tells, they are natural con-men and poker champions.

Balyano
2015-11-19, 09:42 AM
As an additional reason for the rabbits being confident bluffers is that it allows for a Halfling Ranger with a speech impediment to have the following occur.

''Aarakocra season!''
''Lageau season!''
''Aarakocra season!''
''Lageau season!''
''Aarakocra season!''
''Lageau season!'''
''Lageau season!''
''Aarakocra season!''
''Well, you heard him doc, it's aarakocra season, better let him have it.''
*TWANG!*

Hydra207
2015-11-19, 06:15 PM
Ok those are some really good ideas anymore ideas would still help but those ideas are pretty great, Thanks

JackPhoenix
2015-11-19, 07:19 PM
Virmen (as in, vermin), if you don't mind the copyright

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/7/74/Virmen.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120319083747

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-20, 09:08 AM
As an alternative on the naming front, the French word for rabbit (Lapin) is fairly well-known and most people will figure out what it means without needing to explain it. So you could take that as the root and end up with something like lapinins or laplings... Though they both sound kind of stupid.

The abilities suggested above are all nice and thematic, but if you're building the race from the ground up (rather than reskinning a drow), you'll need to make sure it's balanced. Maybe take it over to the Homebrew Design subforum?

Daishain
2015-11-20, 11:12 AM
While deciding on distinctive features, I suggest taking a look at the following:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ViqLSEN67mmd2Lo_OJ-H5YX0fccsfI97kFaqx7V1Dmw/edit

The maker broke down features to point values so that existing races could be compared and new ones balanced. The system is not perfect, but it serves as a good starting point for such homebrew

N810
2015-11-20, 11:20 AM
You could give them some form of rabbit hiding ability,
You may hide as a free action on the first hound round of combat,
and will remain hidden until you move... (or something like that).

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-20, 11:37 AM
on the first hound of combat,

Cry 'havoc!', and let slip the hounds of combat!

Balyano
2015-11-20, 01:30 PM
When struck by an attack a rabbit may use their reaction to let out a heart-wrenching scream that sounds like a humanoid infant in severe pain. Any being with a heart immediately feels guilty about hurting the rabbit. No save.

seriously....worst sound ever.

Balyano
2015-11-21, 07:31 AM
As a bonus action a rabbit can rub it's right foot. The next roll of any kind the rabbit makes is made with a +1d6 luck bonus and any instance of disadvantage is negated. A rabbit can transfer this bonus to an ally by severing the appendage and bequeathing it to said ally.

Anderlith
2015-11-21, 07:57 AM
Lops as a name might fit. After the lop breeds.

Give them a burrow speed. 15ft at least monopolizes a rare ability & is good flavor. Maybe an increased jump too.