PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Race

RedFred
2015-11-20, 12:41 AM
My first homebrew race, I'm looking for a input (as I think I may have made them a touch over powered).

Description:
Eyeless heads (reminiscent of an eel, with twin lower mandibles in place of a lower jaw) snake out on a three foot neck attached to a skeletally thin torso, from which sprout four arms (two per shoulder), their legs are reminiscent of some great running bird, bending backwards at the knee and finishing in heavily padded, two-toed feet. The entire frame is covered in a shiny chitin, ranging in colour from complete black to dark greens and blues. They stand about six feet six inches at the shoulder, although they frequently crouch to take up as little room as possible. Instead of sight, they use a combination of subsonic echolocation combined with electroreception.

Chthon - Traits
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution, Wisdom and Dexterity scores each increase by 1.

Age: Chthon mature rapidly, hitting maturity at 5 years, and have no known life expectancy.

Aberrant: For the purposes of spells and abilities that relate to type, you are considered to be an aberration

Alignment: Most Chthon are neutral in all regards, valuing the order of the tribe but also the creativity and adaptability afforded by personal freedom. The harshness of the environment makes altruism difficult to practice, and truly evil individuals frequently prove more trouble than they are worth to the tribe and are dealt with accordingly.

Size: Chthon stand around 6 and a half feet at the shoulder, with a three foot long neck on top of that. Your size is Medium.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Aberrant Mind: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed

Undersight: You do not truly “see” the world as other races do, instead you use a mix of echolocation and electroreception. You have darkvision out to a range of 90 feet, and advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks made to listen. However, you cannot ever discern color, only shape and texture. If lightning or thunder goes off (either from a natural or of a magical source) within the range of your darkvision, you gain disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks for one turn.

Secondary arms: You have another set of arms, these are slightly weaker than your primary arms, and can be used to wield light weapons, items or in conjunction with your main arms to wield versatile weapons as two-handed weapons. You may draw/stow/use a number of additional item equal to the number of secondary arms you have free, once per turn. This ability does not allow you to make additional attacks.

Nomad: Your people are used to moving and going for days without food or rest, you have advantage on all rolls against exhaustion and ignore the exhaustion penalties at levels one and two, however you treat exhaustion normally on and above level three.

Languages: You speak Common and Undercommon, as you are blind you can neither read nor write with ink in the “common” manner. However, you can read and write the languages you understand if the words are raised above the material they are written on, or carved into a solid surface.

ruy343
2015-11-20, 12:51 AM
Those are some pretty neat ideas; I like it. It's very alien.

Do the extra arms allow you to grapple additional creatures? This thing could be a grappling monster if so...

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-20, 01:26 AM
Pretty interesting!

A quick note: there's nonsuch thing as a "listen check" anymore. It's "Wisdom (Perception) check that relies on hearing".

Also I believe that there is a braille-like writing system called Qualith that is used by illithids and grell to render Deep Speech* onto paper. It's read in four simultaneous lines (usually via tentacle), so a human could never learn it, but this four-armed race might be able to.

*Which is now different from Undercommon in case you weren't aware.

RedFred
2015-11-20, 10:17 PM
Those are some pretty neat ideas; I like it. It's very alien.

Do the extra arms allow you to grapple additional creatures? This thing could be a grappling monster if so...

I wasn't going to rule it specifically, if the player wanted to, I'd rule that both arms would have to be free and then they would get advantage to continue the grappel (but not on the initial establishing shot, to reflect the lower strength in the arms but also that you have a better handhold).

RedFred
2015-11-20, 10:25 PM
Pretty interesting!

A quick note: there's nonsuch thing as a "listen check" anymore. It's "Wisdom (Perception) check that relies on hearing".

Also I believe that there is a braille-like writing system called Qualith that is used by illithids and grell to render Deep Speech* onto paper. It's read in four simultaneous lines (usually via tentacle), so a human could never learn it, but this four-armed race might be able to.

*Which is now different from Undercommon in case you weren't aware.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that, I'll change it shortly.