PDA

View Full Version : A Water Powered U.F.O.

Mr. Moogle
2007-06-02, 12:52 PM
You could either call me a genius or a retard but here's my idea, several decanters of endless water secured by sovereign glue to the bottom of a iron contraption. Some of the decanters would create vertical thrust while the others would have command words spoken to turn or accelerate forward while other command words would control altitude.

But herein lies another problem. How many decanters would be needed? Well I think I have that problem solved as well. A DC 12 strength check is required to hold the decanter when in "gyser" and a person with 14 strength can make that check by taking a 10. So if we figure that each decanter can lift as much as a person with 14 strength over their head. Than that means that each decanter can generate 525 pounds of vertical thrust. With that being said you would need about 200 pounds of iron to make this thing and 2 ounces of sovereign glue. So we're lookin' at 4800 in glue, 18000 for 2 decanters, and (1sp x 200 pounds) about 20 gp in iron. Which adds up to 22820 gp rounded to 23000 for simplicity or extra materials.

Now to make this sucker i think it would require a DC 20 Knowlage (Engineering) check and a DC 20 Knowlage (Physics) check.

Here's where we get into the nittty-gritty about how the thing sould fly. A maximum speed of around 80 feet per round would fit and it could acend/decend in increments of 20.

Miscellaneous
Since it's a little bigger than a large sofa i think that 2-3 people should be able to ride in it as long at their total weight dosen't exeed 850 pounds. Beacause its comprised compleely of iron i think 20-25 AC would fit. Also people under this would take bludgeoning damage = to 1d4 + 1d6
for every increment of 10 feet that the U.F.O. was above them.
And thats my flying machine, let me know what you think

jindra34
2007-06-02, 01:02 PM
you would need a lot more decanters...

Mr. Moogle
2007-06-02, 03:31 PM
No, I wouldn't. if you look at the math than i think you would see that it makes sense.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-06-02, 06:20 PM
An interesting idea, but with all the magic items needed to get it going, why not just enchant the saucer to fly, and leave out the decanters and glue?

Yes, I know that wasn't the point, but (accepting your figures as correct) you're looking at more than the cost of creating the middle sized carpet of flying, and more than the market value of the smallest carpet of flying.

J_Muller
2007-06-02, 06:25 PM
This would work better, and fit better, as an underwater exploration vehicle.

Logic
2007-06-02, 07:38 PM
This would work better, and fit better, as an underwater exploration vehicle.

Or, you could just jump straight up, and use a single decanter of endless water as your propeller.

Sorry, but the vehicle the OP has devised is impractical, and other items that function exactly as he intends his vehicle to function.

jindra34
2007-06-02, 08:19 PM
No, I wouldn't. if you look at the math than i think you would see that it makes sense.

Math based on DnD statisics is iffy at best... additionally you have no steering or vertical acceleration even if your numbers are right...

Roderick_BR
2007-06-02, 08:52 PM
Or, you could just jump straight up, and use a single decanter of endless water as your propeller.

Sorry, but the vehicle the OP has devised is impractical, and other items that function exactly as he intends his vehicle to function.
Put two of these inside a backpack, with holes in the lower part. Water-powered Jetpack. And a lot wet pants...

Logic
2007-06-02, 09:24 PM
Put two of these inside a backpack, with holes in the lower part. Water-powered Jetpack. And a lot wet pants...

Not unless you invent the magical waterproof clothing!

Poppatomus
2007-06-02, 09:45 PM
problem is SRD says you make the check to avoid falling down, not to avoid getting thrown accross the room. The math is innovative, but fails on that point. The back pressure isn't propelling the holder, it just makes it difficult to hold on to and keep your bearings.

"A 710 grain arrow at 183 fps has only 0.57 slug-feet per second of momentum, and a mere 52 foot-pounds of kinetic energy."
source (http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/Momentum%20Kinetic%20Energy%20and%20Arrow%20Penetr ation.htm)

that would make for one hell of a deadly decanter just on its own, if all that force translates into kinetic energy. Not sure a strength check would be enough. Plus, rather than the piddling 1d4 of the geyser you'd be better off just pointing the non opening end of the decanter at your enemy. It would be like hitting them with a cannonball. [In case it isn't obvious I know next to nothing about physics. If this is wrong, please let me know.]

Logic
2007-06-03, 07:50 AM
that would make for one hell of a deadly decanter just on its own, if all that force translates into kinetic energy. Not sure a strength check would be enough. Plus, rather than the piddling 1d4 of the geyser you'd be better off just pointing the non opening end of the decanter at your enemy. It would be like hitting them with a cannonball. [In case it isn't obvious I know next to nothing about physics. If this is wrong, please let me know.]
You are forgetting equal and opposite reactions. (Catgirl death throes can be heard in my general vicinity.)

jindra34
2007-06-03, 07:57 AM
You are forgetting equal and opposite reactions. (Catgirl death throes can be heard in my general vicinity.)

not discussing comic so no cat girls killed...

puppyavenger
2007-06-03, 09:33 AM
No it's all physics that kill catgirls

Mr. Moogle
2007-06-03, 12:21 PM

But using that theirs no way that they would stay in place also this was not ment to be compared to the carpet of flying. Imagine 60/70 of these in a line flying over enemy troops. Imagine how much damage that would cause. this was ment tobe an assult/recon/troop transporting device.

Poppatomus
2007-06-03, 12:23 PM

wait, how am I fogetting equal and opposite reactions?