PDA

View Full Version : Linear Guild- Evil PCs or NPCs

AkodoKoji
2007-06-02, 02:43 PM
My friend and I were having a discussion about the Linear Guild. I firmly believe that they are supposed to be the evil party of Pcs who wants to rule/destroy the universe while he believes that they are NPCS nemesis. In my opinion, while they may have started out as the evil opposites it seems that they have evolved.
I mean they have the "evil party" stereotypes. The Smash everything half-orc, the overly dramatic megalomaniacly leader, and of course the unnecessarily (but not unappreciated) sexy female character. I was what werewondering of other people's opinions

jindra34
2007-06-02, 02:44 PM
NPCs. For the sole reason that a PC does not lather rinse and repeat a failed plan...

Borris
2007-06-02, 03:02 PM
Besides, if they were PCs, why would their numbers change constantly? Why interview Larry Gardener if you already know he's not going to join the party? Why would two PCs leave without being replaced by new characters when the rest of the team needs to be rescued from prison?

Unless you consider eceryone but Nale, Sabine, and Thog to have been cohorts, but that would imply that each of them, even Thog, has the Leadership feat.

AkodoKoji
2007-06-02, 03:13 PM
Besides, if they were PCs, why would their numbers change constantly? Why interview Larry Gardener if you already know he's not going to join the party? Why would two PCs leave without being replaced by new characters when the rest of the team needs to be rescued from prison?

Unless you consider eceryone but Nale, Sabine, and Thog to have been cohorts, but that would imply that each of them, even Thog, has the Leadership feat.

More like Nale has some sort of "evil Leadership" feat which allowd him to take multiple cohorts but no followers.

Edit: Or GmNPCs. Alright I'm stretching now.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-02, 04:54 PM
They're totally PCs. They're adventurers after all.

I once had the theory that the Order of the Stick and the Linear Guild have the same players. Elan's player was bored of being stupid and sucking as a bard so he made his intelligent pseudo bard to replace him.

Rincewind
2007-06-02, 05:07 PM
My friend and I were having a discussion about the Linear Guild. I firmly believe that they are supposed to be the evil party of Pcs who wants to rule/destroy the universe while he believes that they are NPCS nemesis. In my opinion, while they may have started out as the evil opposites it seems that they have evolved.
I mean they have the "evil party" stereotypes. The Smash everything half-orc, the overly dramatic megalomaniacly leader, and of course the unnecessarily (but not unappreciated) sexy female character. I was what werewondering of other people's opinions

You really discuss things like this with your friends, eh? :smallsigh:

Lizard Lord
2007-06-02, 05:21 PM
I say they are PCs since acording to the link below Zz'dtir's fly spell was house ruled in so it could last longer.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0049.html

As for why they interviewed people that they knew wouldn't join, for comic releif I would say.

Also didn't the Oots interview a monk, but took Belkar because they needed a tracker?

As for why Everyone but Nale and Thog to be replaced.

With the amulet smashed Hilgya had no desire to rejoin the LG.
YikYik was killed.
No one knew where the lawyers took Zz'dtri.

Zaldrak
2007-06-02, 05:39 PM
They're recurring villains (Nale even says that to us). So they must be NPCS.
Unless you consider the OOTS to be the recurring villains instead. But it's a fact that they are PCS, so this cannot be.

Driderman
2007-06-02, 05:50 PM
I think they may be another group of players recruited to play the recurring villains who are perhaps a bit too enthusiastic and tend to see themselves as the PCs from time to time, until the DM reminds them that they're just NPCs...

holywhippet
2007-06-02, 05:51 PM

If you assume a player is handling Nale and that he is the leader then other players might roll up a character and offer to join him. The player controlling Nale would look at the character sheets and either accept or decline their offer. If declined, the players could roll up another character.

They haven't received replacements to their numbers because Nale was stuck in jail and in game terms he can't do any recruiting unless he tries to recruit other prisoners which he chose not to do. Sabine tried to recruit Miko which Nale was unsure about.

AkodoKoji
2007-06-02, 06:05 PM
They're totally PCs. They're adventurers after all.

I once had the theory that the Order of the Stick and the Linear Guild have the same players. Elan's player was bored of being stupid and sucking as a bard so he made his intelligent pseudo bard to replace him.

And Roy's player does Thog because he is tired of being the straight man.

Baalzebub
2007-06-02, 06:30 PM
Yeah, they are Evil PC's, just like Xykon, Redcloak and the MITD... :smallannoyed:

Querzis
2007-06-02, 06:46 PM
They are PC because in the OOTS world, PC seems to be nothing more then adventurers who always have much more importance then they are supposed to have. I mean, there is billions of people in this world but six people alone saved the world from the Snarl and created the gates, six other people are supposed to defend those gates and six other people (the LG and team evil) try to control those gate and rule the world. PC are protagonist or antagonist, thats all. Roy also had interview to find people to join his party after all.

AkodoKoji
2007-06-02, 06:55 PM
They are PC because in the OOTS world, PC seems to be nothing more then adventurers who always have much more importance then they are supposed to have. I mean, there is billions of people in this world but six people alone saved the world from the Snarl and created the gates, six other people are supposed to defend those gates and six other people (the LG and team evil) try to control those gate and rule the world. PC are protagonist or antagonist, thats all. Roy also had interview to find people to join his party after all.

I never really thought of it that way but it does kinda make sense. I know that Xykon reminds me of every single sorceror I've ever seen.

Basalock
2007-06-02, 07:18 PM

you be smart man

the_tick_rules
2007-06-02, 07:23 PM
well they're recurring villains they're memorable npc's, but npc's anyways.