PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Books

Setra
2007-06-02, 03:58 PM
I love dragons, and I like reading..

Could anyone recommend some books that have dragons in them?

I've already read Dragonlance (Not EVERY book, just most), and the Obsidian Chronicles Trilogy..

However I am very bad at finding books to read, could anyone recommend some good ones?

downthetimehole
2007-06-02, 04:08 PM
I just listed it in a different thread but I'll put it here too. the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.

The series focuses around a dragon that is part of the English aerial corps (an air force but instead of using say planes or other such things people crew on board sentient dragons) during the Napoleonic wars.

Truly great books, and very much centered around dragons.

Setra
2007-06-02, 04:59 PM
Those sound interesting, I'll see if I can't get ahold of them.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-02, 05:07 PM
There's always the Dragon Riders of Pern series. Whether those are any good or not I will not go into.

"Tea with the black dragon" by R.A. MacAvoy is supposed to be good. According ot my parents.

Toastkart
2007-06-02, 05:23 PM
The Dragonmaster series by Chris Bunch is good if you like military fantasy fiction.

Setra
2007-06-02, 05:26 PM
There's always the Dragon Riders of Pern series. Whether those are any good or not I will not go into.
Didn't like em, though I didn't get too far into them either...

Either way, I'll be looking into the books.

Logic
2007-06-02, 05:56 PM
DO NOT read Eragon if you like literature. There are too many things wrong with that book to mention.

The Dragonriders of Pern comes to mind as a good set of books to read about dragons.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-02, 06:04 PM
Pern I only liked a couple books here and there. The book explaining how it all came to be was my favorite, but I can't warm up to it as a whole.

Eragon is an odd bird. I found it to be a rather copycat adventure with alot of trite stuff... but yet I was still entertained by it all.

There is a series I think everyone here would love called 'The Wizardry'. It's about a computer programmer that is summoned into a fantasy world to save it... but no one has a clue how he's supposed to do that except for the one who summoned him... who was killed in the process. That may sound corny, but it is a fantastic series and holds more true to fantasy than most.

'The Wizardry Consulted' in particular is all about dragons, the all of them deal a good bit with them. In the second book an entire programming team is brought in, recruited from a renaissance fair, and one of them is a D&D player who just watches in rapture as the castle guard flies over on his draconic mount.

Matthew
2007-06-02, 06:37 PM
My advice would be, whatever you do, stay well away from any book by Anne McCaffrey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_McCaffrey) that begins with the prefix Dragon- (i.e. pretty much all of them). As it goes, you might like them (after all some people must), but consider yourself forewarned.

Lemur
2007-06-02, 09:43 PM
The Dragon and the George, along with the Dragon Knight and ensuing Dragon Knight series by Gordon R. Dickson are pretty good, if memory serves.

Serpentine
2007-06-03, 09:27 AM
Lessee... >consults growing library<
Dragon and the George has already been mentioned, as has Anne McCaffery... The Last Dragonlord was okay, had a guy called Linden, always a bonus. A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic, obviously (includes a severely boiled-down version of The Dragon and the George). Tamora Pierce has a few dragons, but they're not about them per se, and she is admittedly probably a girl's writer. Liveship Traders, sorta. There was another one, but I can't remember what it's called, which is really annoying. All the characters were dragons, though, and there were "natural" and "magical" types.
Hm. I need more books. Two and a half bookshelves are not enough!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-03, 09:32 AM
*grins*

I have three book cases in my room, two taller than me, and they are overflowing. The smaller one is dedicated to fantasy, one of the others to sci-fi, and the other to 'Other', mostly classics and school books.

Serpentine
2007-06-03, 10:05 AM
Ah, bookcases, that's the word I was looking for. I have two taller than me (and wider, coincidently) and one about hip-height. Admittedly the two big ones have the equivalent of about... 3 or 4 shelves empty (alas!), but the small one is now overflowing (with, uh, Animorphs and Tamora Pierce...:smallredface:). So, I have one for flick-throughable books, one for series, and one for everything else.
As for dragon books again, the only other ones I haven't mentioned aren't actually novels.

Setra
2007-06-03, 03:49 PM
Well getting ahold of, and reading the books (And checking out more books by those authors) should keep me busy for a bit.

J_Muller
2007-06-03, 04:15 PM
I never really got into Dragonriders of Pern, but there's a series by Jane Yolen entitled the "Pit Dragon Trilogy" that's pretty good. The first is "Dragon's Blood."

CaptainSam
2007-06-03, 04:27 PM
Another vote for Temeraire. A nice twist on the Napoleanic Wars.

Another negative for anything McCaffery. after the fourth book, it's all pretty meh.

Blue Moon Rising by Simon R Green has a dragon in it. Good fun.

How could you all forget The Hobbit?

Setra
2007-06-03, 05:37 PM
How could you all forget The Hobbit?
I thought they just knew that everyone has read it by now :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2007-06-04, 07:21 AM
I like the Pern series... I also liked her The Ship Who Sang but don't bother with Dinosaur Planet. Seriously. Craptacular.

Jerthanis
2007-06-05, 10:11 AM
it might be too kiddie for you, (it might have been too kiddie for me when I read it when I was like, 10) but my favorite dragon book to this day is "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher" for its themes, morals, simple magic and the fact that I was the biggest wuss in the history of mankind by crying at the end. I don't care though.

The Hero and the Crown was another great fantasy book which happened to include a lot of dragonslaying. In fact, it had one of the best knock-down, drag-out fights with a dragon ever. Really solid action with a great, unlikely duo of heroes in a tomboyish, not-in-line-for-the-throne, considered-barely-better-than-a-bastard princess and a mostly lame, old horse.

I wasn't a fan of the Pern books, but I perhaps didn't give them enough of a chance. I was told Dragonsong was the best, but I got halfway through and got bored and never got around to trying any of the others in the series.

Serpentine
2007-06-06, 06:59 AM
The mention of kiddy books reminds me, there's "How to Tame Your Dragon", a Viking take on the whole thing.

DarkLightDragon
2007-06-06, 07:37 AM
"How to Tame Your Dragon" I own that book! It may be kiddy but its still awesome.

temerious
2007-07-19, 05:53 PM
try Changeling by Zelazny

StickMan
2007-07-19, 06:12 PM
Song in the Silence is a great book, but you need to read all of the books to real understand the story. The fist book is great on its own but its like the lord of the rings in that the whole series is one story in multi book form. They are my favorite books and I read a lot.

The next two are The Lesser Kindred, and Redeeming the Lost.

Kitya
2007-07-21, 12:00 PM
I believe Mercedes Lackey has some Dragon books.. I think it's the Joust books. I haven't read them, but the Valdemar books are all really good sooo...

Dinosaur Planet was an OOOLLLLDDD book, and you're right, it sucked. However, reading the rest of the series, starting with Sassinak, is really quite good. Sass kicks butt!

As for bookcases... hmmm... we have two in our bedroom, three in the spare room, and we'd have more but we've run out of room, so we have several boxes of the books that we don't read very often, AND all the books I saved from when I was a kid for our daughter to read when she's bigger.

My parents have two entire walls in the basement made into shelves for books. They have more books than their local library. We're big book peoples. *grin*

Hell Puppi
2007-07-22, 01:33 AM
Jeremy thatcher actually ties into the 'dragon's blood' books, by the name tiamat, i believe, but then again i haven't read either book in forever and tiamat is a pretty common name in fantasy.

I did like the original pern books, along with the girl who talked to draongs.

The Dragon and the George is also awesome. I own the rest of the series, but it gets kinda boring near the end of the series. It's was the premise of the movie 'flight of dragons,' if you've seen it.

Delcan
2007-07-24, 09:37 PM
Read Barbara Hambly's Dragonsbane. Excellent book, with excellent human characters, and one absolutely stunning dragon. Morkeleb the Black is one of the most awesomest dragons in any book series, ever.

After you read that one, if you feel like reading some hideously depressing but also good sequels, there's also Dragonshadow, Knight of the Demon Queen, and Dragonstar, by the same author. If you start on the second, you must read through to the fourth - because otherwise you'll never see the closure to it all. Just the one, or all four - can't do it any other way.

MostlyHarmless
2007-07-27, 11:01 AM
The dragon Glaurung plays a part in the story of Túrin in Tolkien's Unfinished Tales, specifically in "Narn i Chîn Húrin (The Tale of the Children of Húrin)".

It's one of my favorite stories and would make a darn fine movie if you ask me (and if Peter Jackson made it). Very sad story though. And Glaurung makes Smaug look like a puppy.