PDA

View Full Version : What to work on...

Khoran
2007-06-02, 04:24 PM
Probobly the wrong place to post this, so if it is, I'm sorry.

I need some opinions. I've recently been brainstorming for one campaign setting setting, but last night, I got an idea for something completly different and I'm not sure which one to work on now. So, I want some opinions from the boards on what would be more interesting, since I am most likely going to post these when finished.

The first idea, the one I've already done a little work on, is a going to be a Steampunk setting. It's going to have an early idustrial revolution style to it, both in development and in culture; but of course it will have a magical overtone, mainly divine magic. One of the major themes in this one is going to be new ways vs old. Tradition v.s. Progression, New Faith v.s. Old and maybe even Machine v.s. Magic in some sectors.

The second idea is the newer of the two ideas. I don't have as much detail on this one yet, but the idea is that it's going to be set in a desert that seems to carry on forever. The world, so far, is going to have a bit of a post-apocolyptic feel to it. If a character enters these vast deserts, there is a good chance that they could find an something abandoned/ruined.

So, which one do you think I should work on?

Quietus
2007-06-02, 05:02 PM
Seems to me like the first would lend itself better to a more roleplay oriented game, and the latter, to a dungeon-dive setting. Either sounds like it could pull together nicely, so really it depends more on what your group is interested in.

PinkysBrain
2007-06-02, 06:37 PM
I'd disagree, all else being equal (and as vague as the rest of the description is at the moment it is) I think the more fantastic the setting the more it is suited for exploration heavy campaigns rather than interaction heavy campaigns.

Magic steam punk also seems more suited for campaigns with an epic storyline. Which is is a pro for me, but might be con for others.

Anyway, it sounds like Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura the RPG vs. Fallout the RPG ;) For what it's worth, I liked the former better.

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-02, 06:41 PM
...Combine them.

I'm serious. An endless desert with ruins of a long-lost civilization. The modern inhabitants have developed technology to cope with the harsh conditions and ease travel. Magic will be somewhat-recently discovered in the ancient ruins and harnessed in the name of progress.

Rahdjan
2007-06-02, 06:49 PM
I like the desert idea. You can make the enviroment as much a part of the challange as the monsters. Also, you could use the taint system from Heros of Horror to simulated being in contaminated areas and the mental effects from being in an unending desert. It could be like Dark Sun without the Psionics and Defilers.

Khoran
2007-06-02, 08:41 PM
Quietus: Yes, well, my group tends to be into anything in all honesty. My group enjoys anything, and has never really shown an interest for one style over another.

PinkysBrain: These two systems do divide there. The Steampunk world is more interaction and would probobly contain more political intigue, while the Desert world would obviously be more about exploration and discovering the truths of the world.

Call me Siggy: That idea has merit. However, the desert setting and what I had in mind for the Steampunk setting don't click. I'd thought of the idea, but ultimatly I decided it went againt my vision for both of them to combine the two.

Rahdjan: Thank you for your input on the taint system, though I will have to read into it more to know if it's what I would like. However, mentioning it, I would like to input some form of insanity system that could come from wandering in the desert to long on your own (Such as developing dementia.) And as for your second point, I never played Dark Sun, so I cannot speak there.

So far I am feeling that the Desert World is the more popular choice.

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-02, 09:24 PM
I would like to input some form of insanity system that could come from wandering in the desert to long on your own (Such as developing dementia.)

I think this would work well for what you have in mind... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm)