PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Your PC rises from the grave - Welcome to Undeath

arcane_asp
2015-11-20, 11:37 AM
Hi GitP!

So after finishing up our most recent gaming projects (including a tortuously long 4e pirate game, a fun 5e adventure abandoned due to players moving away, and a more interesting short campaign of Bunnies & Burrows which I GM'd) its time for my gaming groups next adventure. This time I wanted to focus on a special adventure idea I had, influenced and inspired by Kaveman26's awesome undead cattle-drivers campaign journal (its over in the main RPG forum, highly recommend it you haven't taken a look yet!)

The players will be true heroes of a small typical fantasy kingdom, but in the opening scene they will be slain by their antagonist, a villainous master nercromancer. After some symbolic dreams, they will be revived as free willed undead versions of themselves under the necromancers overall control. He is going to use them to enter the resting place of a deceased greater Angel, who's tomb no Evil Soul can enter. Naturally the PC's, being virtuous souls even in undeath, will be able to enter on his behalf to take the Angels raiment and take it back to the necromancer for own insidious ends (think MWA-HA-HA level scheming plans). Once they get to the lower levels of the tomb (past traps & monsters originally intended to repel mortals) they will come across some holy sanctified areas they will have to get creative to get through.
Though they can try and resist the necromancers puppeteering of their undead bodies, threats of turning the PC's against the kingdom they once served will likely keep them in line, albeit looking for any opportunity to break free of his control. Knowing some my players, they will quite enjoy being 'creatures of darkness' for the sake of this adventure :smallsmile:

I'm looking for some input in applying undead templates to their PC's (I'm think of starting them at level 5 for the sake of expediency). Their initial death & out of body experiences will give them a chance to choose a symbolically appropriate object to influence what their mode of undeath will be. So far, I'm planning -

Zombie (that old undead constitution is going to come in handy!)
Wight / Ghoul (seems slightly weaker option, may need to boost their draining abilities)
Vampire (may have to slightly nerf to bring keep balanced with the others templates)
Ghost (not 100% sure with this one, being able to move through walls is going to make a dungeon crawl tough)

I'm positive some of you have had undead PC's at one point, is there any good undead types I haven't listed here? Lich occurred to me, though is very OP template to try and make for a group of L5 PC's.

Kane0
2015-11-20, 03:02 PM
You missed shadows and skeletons.

Are these going to be full templates or just tossing in one or two abilities?

ShikomeKidoMi
2015-11-21, 01:16 AM
It depends on a number of factors, as the poster above me pointed out.

Generally, I'd avoid the particularly high-end complex undead such as vampires or liches, unless you want to run a high power campaign and make a lot of work for yourself. It can be fun, but you need a lot more prep work, especially with vampires.

Zombies and skeletons are fine bases.

Zombie would be- Move speed 20 feet, gain immunity to poison, Darkvision 60 feet (if you don't already have it) and maybe Undead Fortitude- but I'd heavily consider reducing it's use to once per short or long rest.

Skeleton would be gain Darkvision 60 feet (if you don't have it), immunity to poison and exhaustion , and vulnerability to bludgeoning but retain normal move speed. They'd also be harder to disguise as living beings.

You might even let your players choose which one they want, as long as they aren't doing something cheesy like picking a Frenzy Barbarian Skeleton. Otherwise, I'm assuming you want to let the keep their class abilities, so I'd leave their attributes and so on alone.

The Shadowdove
2015-11-21, 02:17 AM
Revenant or death knight - like?

I imagine heroes brought back as a skeleton warrior/maintaining their learned abilities would be better off than a mindless farmer turned skele with a sword.

arcane_asp
2015-11-21, 04:12 AM
Okay, some interesting replies.

Shadow - hadn't even thought of this, could be an excellent one as long as they cant have full insubstantiality

Skeleton - I had considered it but they did seem a bit uninteresting. I guess maybe they're one of the faster undead

Repentant & graveknight - I do like these, although they seem very similar to each other and Wight (in terms of fluff)

As Shiko mentions, vamps and liches can be very powerful so they will be scaled back a bit, at least to begin with. I thought the players would each have a different 'flavour' of undeath to give them a bit of distinction, so it's a matter of applying balanced templates to their characters.

I didn't want to give away too much to them too early, but I will request they try to avoid cleric/paladin characters as that's going to get complex :smalleek:

Is there a good source for undeath templates in 5e? I could probably cobble together something appropriate but wanted to see if who had trodden this ground before (this marshy, grave strewn ground of darkness)

Zalabim
2015-11-21, 04:31 AM
The lack of a werebeast option is disturbing, surprising, and deplorable. It just isn't rising from your grave without it. Comes with its own threat of unleashing the once-hero on the townspeople. In fact, if they're all types of undead/monsters with dangerous hunger, I think that could be a good unifying theme.

ShikomeKidoMi
2015-11-21, 05:57 AM
As Shiko mentions, vamps and liches can be very powerful so they will be scaled back a bit, at least to begin with. I thought the players would each have a different 'flavour' of undeath to give them a bit of distinction, so it's a matter of applying balanced templates to their characters.

Vampires aren't just powerful, they're complicated. They have a lot of different powers and a variety of weaknesses that can come up at awkward times. This can make for some nice role-playing hooks, of course, but you have to take things like not being able to go out during the day or cross rivers into account when designing adventures. And also explain why their enemies don't take advantage of that when it would be too inconvenient.

JellyPooga
2015-11-21, 06:43 AM
I wouldn't get too exotic with this idea, myself; Zombie or Skeleton would be the only two choices if I were running it (i.e. "flesh" or "no flesh"). I might be tempted by allowing Shadow, but the benefits of incorporeality are far too great by comparison.

If you have things like Wights, Ghouls, Shadows and such on the list, why would anyone willingly choose a "lesser" option like Zombie?

Unless, of course, you're going to make a progression of power into the full abilities of the undead type (like the Monster Classes of 3ed). If characters must sacrifice Class level/abilities for the "racial" ones of their Undead form, then crack on.

Logosloki
2015-11-21, 08:07 AM
Zombie, Skeleton, Thrall and Bound object might be better options.

Zombie and Skele need no introduction of course. Thrall is your vampire lite option, Give them spiderclimb and regeneration, the bite and claws attacks without the bite attack extra effects. Downplay the vampire weaknesses. Remove Forbiddance, change harmed by running water to disadvantage rather than acid damage, change sunlight hypersensitivity to sunlight senseitivity (as drow), keep stake to the heart but make it whenever the heart is staked rather than just in their resting place.

Bound Object is your ghost/poltergeist lite. Basically this is ghost on a leash. The bound object prevents the player from moving x feet away from the object otherwise they fade out and lose capabilities.

Mad_Saulot
2015-11-21, 08:56 AM
Shadows arent incorporeal/insubstantial, they are technically amorphous, they cant pass through walls unless there is a gap or crack.

I'd be tempted to increase a skeletons move speed by 10ft since they have no flesh to slow them down and to balance them against the zombie fortitude.

Ghosts and vamps and liches are too powerful to be player characters but if you wanted to have them you could compare their normal threat rating to one of the other players who has a zombie character and give the lesser undead an xp multiplier so that they advance faster through their classes and catch up to the vamp/whatever power level.

arcane_asp
2015-11-23, 06:25 AM
Oooh, some good replies there, thanks guys & gals! Much appreciated :smallsmile:

Some good new additions I will be making!

There are going to be balance issues which I am going to address - the players will get to choose the form of their undeath but they won't be fully informed on exactly what is involved. During their original death they are going to be in the dream state between life and afterlife - their non corporeal forms are presented with a table of different objects and they will be asked to choose one. The objects are thematically linked to the template they'll receive.

Dice = skeleton
Doll = zombie
Drinking straw = vampire
Sundial = shadow
Fishing hook = bound ghost
dried flower = wight

I'm gonna ditch the Lich (hey that rhymes!) as too bothersome for this adventure in terms of scaling back their power level but keeping them recognisably the same type of undead.

Zalabim - really sorry, I'm not classing were-creatures as true undead. They are cool monsters and I have used them in the past as a great threat and even had a were-bear player! But they are too vibrant and alive to fit with the theme of this adventure.

One last one to run by you guys - Mummy. Yea or nay?

Logosloki
2015-11-23, 08:11 AM
I am loving the object symbolism!

Alejandro
2015-11-23, 09:34 AM
The lack of a werebeast option is disturbing, surprising, and deplorable. It just isn't rising from your grave without it. Comes with its own threat of unleashing the once-hero on the townspeople. In fact, if they're all types of undead/monsters with dangerous hunger, I think that could be a good unifying theme.

I see what you did there. Excellent.

Zalabim
2015-11-23, 09:34 AM
The were-beasts is an Altered Beast thing. No hard feelings.

Now you just need a good description to go with each item. I'd want each item to seem interesting in some way.

Dice = skeleton
These ivory cubes are hand-carved and painted with black pips. They're accompanied by a wooden cup carved to resemble a laughing skull.

Doll = zombie
This doll is garbed in blue and green clothes that have faded with time. The stitches are mismatched in places, showing it's been repaired again and again.

Drinking straw = vampire
This coconut looks like one of those fruity island cocktails. It's topped with a paper umbrella and a red crazy-straw sticks out of one side.

Sundial = shadow
This palm-sized, stone sundial bears a stark shadow at the 12 o' clock position, though your surroundings are lit by a soft, diffuse light.

Fishing hook = bound ghost
This simple fishing pole is a flexible wooden rod with a length of fine cord tied on. There's a small glowing bug speared on the end of its hook.

dried flower = wight
On the page of this open book is a single pale flower, pressed, dried, and preserved here like an eternal memory.

gold coin = mummy
This clay jar is nearly overflowing with odd gold coins. They're slightly elongated, like rectangles with rounded edges, and bear imprints of organs rather than royalty.

meat = ghoul
This is a plain hamburger.

arcane_asp
2015-11-23, 11:06 AM
Nice work Zalabim, I will use that word-for-word if I may? Maybe the hamburger could be a stone plate / cutlery or something. Possibly along the lines of:

A long thin box containing a stone knife, fork and spoon. Faint staining to the knife and spoon looks like it came from some ancient meal.

Struggling to think what would differentiate the mummy from the zombie though. I guess I could keep the standard move speed, the undead constitution, but gain a vulnerability to fire?

Zalabim
2015-11-24, 04:23 AM
Absolutely. The ghoul addition was really a joke, but it seems you've got the idea down quite well now.

The mummy could be different by using some minor divine powers, blessings and curses. Up to 2nd level spells by character level 5, as some of the racial spells. Blindness/Deafness, Lesser Restoration, inflict/cure wounds, bane or bless, hellish rebuke that does piercing damage from a swarm of beetles. I don't have the book in front of me so there's probably some other good options.

samcifer
2015-11-24, 11:14 AM
I'll rise from my grave, but only if I can turn into a werewolf that can throw fireballs.

arcane_asp
2015-11-25, 01:48 AM
I'll rise from my grave, but only if I can turn into a werewolf that can throw fireballs.

Sort of a 'Hot Dog' then?

samcifer
2015-11-25, 12:58 PM
Sort of a 'Hot Dog' then?

Or the weretiger. He was neat, too...

arcane_asp
2015-11-26, 10:46 AM
I'm getting properly excited now, this is going to be a good'un!

Story - check
Undead templates - check

Thanks GitP, as usual some awesome advice! Hats off to Zalabim especially :smallbiggrin:

The 'scene' I am most looking forward to in this RP is when they have to pass through the town of their loyal supporters. Will they remember they are all undead beings now? Will they hide their nature? Will they sneak through, or just cut loose and scare the **** out of people? Mouth is frothing with possibilities...

samcifer
2015-11-27, 11:05 AM
...Althought the dragon CAN fly and the bear is nice and fuzzy... Okay, I want to be able to turn into all of them. :D

...And now I have the post-transformation music stuck in my head...

arcane_asp
2016-01-19, 10:20 AM
Heh, I've been running this one for a few months, its been fun :smallcool:

I'm writing up the notes for the adventure (including maps & undead templates) and I'm considering putting it up online somewhere so another group can run it. Can anyone think of a snappy name for the adventure?

Suitably macabre titles only please :smallwink:

Hudsonian
2016-01-19, 10:53 AM
Shadowkissed Endeavors (yes, unfortunately I have seen Vampire Highscool)
Vein Attempts at Heroism
The Adventures of the Unusual, Nearly Deranged, Endangered, and Auspicious Denizens
Zombies and a pocket of Lips
The Walking Undead (I couldn't resist, I'm sorry)
The story of the 2nd Death
This Party's Dead
Forever Alive(ish)
Never Ever Cared for Repercussions, Obviously!

arcane_asp
2016-01-19, 11:12 AM
I freakin' love "This Party's dead", that is inspired. So many levels :smallamused:

Also "The Story of the Second Death" is quite a portentous title!

Good work Husonian :smalltongue:

Hudsonian
2016-01-19, 11:36 AM
I freakin' love "This Party's dead", that is inspired. So many levels :smallamused:

Also "The Story of the Second Death" is quite a portentous title!

Good work Husonian :smalltongue:

Why thank you. I was quite partial to "The Adventures of the U.N.D.E.A.D." myself.

Also:
The Killing Killed
No rest for the Undead
Undying Deadication
No Country for Dead Men
Deadly Denizens
In the light of Night (I don't get it, but for some reason my brain is all, "YOU HAVE TO DO THIS ONE")

JackPhoenix
2016-01-20, 04:19 PM
It starts with the TPK (what? It's true)
Undead like me (anyone seen the series?)
The next big adventure (for your Harry Potter fans)
Tales from the Mausoleum (do you get a lich narrator?)

arcane_asp
2016-07-05, 10:12 AM
Not sure if this thread will be on the Dead side (like the PC's).

Quick update for this one - have just finished running the adventure. It was 5 sessions, and worked out as well as I could've hoped. Not only did the undead PC's have a great time working out how best to enter a village of living humans without being attacked/turned, they also made a base of operations in the village storm drains and managed to infiltrate the shrine they were tasked to enter.

They worked through the dungeon with normal PC levels of paranoia, with only minimal trips back to the surface to get some tasty flesh for the Zombie PC. Once they cleared the traps and the unexpected city of diminutive celestial beings established in one room, they bested the boss and began talking about their next move. They were freed from their Necromancers control and this split the group.

The zombie & skeleton wanted to try & resurrect themselves before returning to the Necromancer for revenge. The Wight & mummy pretty much went native, and went straight back to him to vow their allegiance to his evil schemes. The shadow player didn't commit to anything, and drifted throughout the world, haunting random people until he eventually dispersed.

We had an excellent session which needed hefty ammounts of improve and a couple of battlemaps, where the resurrected PC's returned to the Necromancers cave with mobs of angry townsfolk. The wight & mummy players led the defence of the necromancers cave. There was an epic battle (player vs player) which ended in the Necromancers victory and the death of everyone except the wight.

The Player is very attached to his Wight Wizard PC and is pushing to have him in the next game. Not sure how that will work :smalleek:

Overall though, really good fun. Undead PC's CAN work as a concept :smallcool:

mAc Chaos
2016-07-06, 11:51 AM
Sounds pretty neat. I want to try something like it out sometime now.