PDA

View Full Version : suggestions about dervish

bigbaddragon
2007-06-02, 05:05 PM
The story goes like this: currently I'm fighter 1/scout 4 and I'm trying to
survive long enough to become a dervish, through one more level of scout and one more level of fighter. The scout level is so I get evasion and to qualify for Improved skirmish feat. Due to our DM's generocity we get bonus feat at 2nd, 7th, 12th and 17th level. I have already acquired following feats:
-weapon finesse
-weapon focus(scimitar)
-two weapon fighting
-two weapon defense
-mobility
-dodge
-combat expertise

and following stats:
str 14, dex 18, con 14, int 13, wis 13, cha 8.

I won't be needing improved twf since my DM changed two weapon fighting feat so that you gain aditional off-hand attacks when you get aditional attacks with main hand (when you get BAB). Also I took a character trait from "Unearthed Arcana" which lowers HP by 1 per HD and gives aditional 10 feet to base land speed.

I would be very grateful for any useful suggestions about my feats and equipment in the future.

I'll most likely take improved skirmish feat next level but I'm in a doubt what afterwards. Also the campaign is taking place in Eberron and if it lasts long enough I plan on taking levels in "Hair of Siberys" PrC but that may change.
Feats from other campaign settings may be allowed as long as they are not campaign setting specific.

Again, thanks for any useful suggestions.

Flawless
2007-06-02, 06:04 PM
A single level of ranger would get you track as a bonus feat as well as a favoured enemy and you'd qualify for the swift hunter feat. With it you can apply your skirmish damage to your FE even if it is immune to crits.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-06-02, 06:10 PM
3 words will be your best friend as a Dervish: Two Weapon Pounce. Nothing like a full attack at the end of a charge with no penalties to attacks. Best way to kill the enemy spellcaster. Move faster than him, and do a full attack.

Flawless
2007-06-02, 06:14 PM
You get to make only one attack with each weapon, not a full attack via two weapon pounce.

TheOOB
2007-06-02, 07:06 PM
Get the wounding special ability on both your scimitars ASAP. A TWF dervish gets a lot of attacks, and can pile on the con damage with the wounding quality, which will help you kill enemies that much faster.

Also Two-Weapon Defense is pretty horrible, you are better off quaffing potions of shield, or investing in an animated shield for extra AC.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-06-02, 07:16 PM
I want to be the Nose of Sibrys, the Hair is too boring.

bigbaddragon
2007-06-02, 07:28 PM
Ha ha, watch out what you sniff :smallcool:

Btw I like both the idea with ranger level and the idea with wounding weapon property. I found a weapon property that gives the ability to bestow a -2 penalty to almost everything if you score a critical hit with that weapon but I can't remember where it was. Anybody knows?

P.S. This weapon property doesn't allow a save to avoid it

Stephen_E
2007-06-03, 05:56 AM
You could also look at 1-3 levs of Druid.

1st lev gives you access to wands of Flame Blade (and every other Druid spell of level 4 or lower).
3rd lev give you the ability to cast it without a Wand twice a day.
You get decent HD, and ignore undergrowth/vegatation for movement purposes.

If you can get Energy Substitution someway it would be good for those occasions when the enemy are Fire proof.

Metamagic Rods of Empower - lesser are also wonderful for this.
IIRC by RAW you can Metamagic Rod a Wand cast spell. Note that to use a Metamagic Rod you must possess it, but there is no general requirement to weild it in your hand, so you can have a Wand in one hand, and a Rod tucked down your boot.

Flameblade creates a 3' long flame from your hand that is weilded as a Scimitar. Thus it crits as a Scimitar, would be treated as a light weapon and gain bonus damage and attack for been a edged weapon thanks to your Dervish abilities.
The Flame Blade does 1d8 +1/2 caster levels (max +5), with no Strength bonus, and requires a melee touch attack to hit (but you'd use Dex because of Weapon Finesse). Note because it's a variable damage it can be empowered to do (1d8+CL/2) x1.5, and you bypass any DR, the bane of TWF, because it's energy. Been a touch attack you should hit with most, if not all, your attacks. If you get someone to make your Wands at CL 10, while it's more expensive, they'd last for 10 mins a pop, and do 1d8+5 damage + Skirmish damage + other bonus damage.

Stephen

Starsinger
2007-06-03, 05:58 AM
Stephen! That's brilliant! I've been hounded lately to play something other than a full spell caster.. thanks :smallbiggrin:

Stephen_E
2007-06-03, 06:42 AM
Stephen! That's brilliant! I've been hounded lately to play something other than a full spell caster.. thanks :smallbiggrin:

Convince your DM to let Rangers have Flame Blade as a 1st lev spell, and then watch their faces as your Ranger takes Empower, Energy Substitution, Practiced Caster and that feat that allows you to double the damage by doing it once as type "x" energy and once as type "y" energy.:smallbiggrin:

Stephen

Starsinger
2007-06-03, 06:44 AM
Once I look up all those feats I'll ask about it... too bad there's not a bow version of flame blade.. well I guess the Wu Jen Fire Shuriken spell might work for a ranged version... Hmmm.

Talya
2007-06-03, 07:58 AM
Also Two-Weapon Defense is pretty horrible, you are better off quaffing potions of shield, or investing in an animated shield for extra AC.

If his DM made ITWD and GTWD automatic the way he made ITWF and GTWF, then it's probably worthwhile. 3 shield AC while dual-weilding is worth a single feat.

Anyway, I'm not all that enamored of favored enemy unless the DM is obviously going to have you fighting a single type of enemy a LOT. If you didn't already have weapon finesse, I'd have suggested three levels of swashbuckler: weapon finesse for free, and with a single point of intelligence you could get +2 to damage on both hands. (Again, that's conditional on the DM not putting you up against a lot of elementals/undead/constructs.)

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-06-03, 08:15 AM
You get to make only one attack with each weapon, not a full attack via two weapon pounce.

ahhh.., you are correct Flawless.. calling it Pounce threw me off. But you still do get a second attack at the end of a charge; so it is viable; Two Weapon Rend is a good one also.

Sucrose
2007-06-03, 08:52 AM
If you're aiming for Dervish, then I think that a high-priority feat for you is Elusive Target, from Complete Warrior. Its tactical maneuvers are useful in conjunction with Dervish Dance, even with Strength as a relative dump stat, and Negate Power Attack removes the main threat of two-handed weapon wielding barbarian psychopaths.

bigbaddragon
2007-06-03, 04:40 PM
Yes, elusive target would do nice since i won't have to many HP to spare (I get one less per level). It's a good idea, especially if someone uses shock trooper against you. I completely forgot about that feat. Thanks.