PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Avariel (Winged Elf)

RavenJovan
2015-11-20, 08:16 PM
Avariel (Winged Elf)

“Avariel are said to have the most beautiful voices of all the Tel'Quessir, the sound of their songs even brought tears to my dwarf companion’s eyes." —Eldar Nai'lo, Songs of Legend

The Avariel (Aril-tel-quessir in elven or "winged folk") were amongst the first of the elven races to migrate to Faerûn. However, conflict with Dragons almost wiped them out before the First Flowering and while they have survived since that time, they are considered by most to be myths or legends. (2)

Avariel (Winged Elf) Names
Avariel pick their own names upon reaching the age of majority, though closefriends may continue to use the avariel's "child name". Family names are of vital import to the avariel, whose lineages stretch back untold centuries, devoted to the path which they have chosen. (1)

Male Names: Aerontar, Daedamai, Peregrane, Raptiir, Sperenshay, and Talasphir.
Female Names: Aerie, Cassae, Esthaenie, Icaria, Lethri, and Nahlrie.
Family Names: Adongala ("Peacewhisper"), Driiquar ("Airdance"), Elandinai ("Arrowbreeze"), Kiirquarlani ("Gemsoul"), Silathdiir ("Mountainstone"), and Xilokerym ("Petalsword").

Avariel Lands
Avariel settlements are rare, located in secluded and inaccessible mountains, their many towers carved into the rock faces and plateaus, resplendent with many windows, perches, and balconies. Their societies are commonly composed entirely of avariel dedicated to one of the two castes: the warlike, or the peaceful, though a rare few settlements compose members of both castes. The warlike are not all combatants, as might be inferred, though many are, but all follow the philosophy of action, of doing. Peaceful are the thinkers, those inclined to study, magic, art, music, and philosophy. There is no animosity between the two castes, both of whom have long lineages, and they each support and respect the other to the best of their abilities. Avariel seldom trade with outsiders other than elves, obtaining from them the rare metal implements that they themselves do not use. Avariel craftsmanship utilizes glass, crystal, obsidian, and stone almost exclusively, even in the construction of weapons, and gems and semiprecious stones are used for currency. Those rare avariel encountered beyond their mountain dwellings are usually those seeking escape from pity due to their inability to fly, or the rare avariel gripped by an overpowering wanderlust. (2) 

Religion
The avariel are a deeply religious people, but they owe their greatest loyalty, not to Corellon Larethian, but Aerdrie Faenya, the winged elven goddess of the air, the weather, and avians. Although their true origins are a mystery, the avariel hold that it is her intervention that enables them to survive, and that they are her favored children. Some avariel even belief that they were the original elven race, though many more of their sages speculate that Aerdrie Faenya's hand melded them with their beloved giant eagles. (1)

Avariel (Winged Elf) Traits

Avariel are more delicate than their earth-bound cousins, with hollow bones to aid their flight. They have pale skin, often porcelain white. An avariel's wings are usually white, but can be black, brown or speckled. Avariel are also known to practice the dyeing of wing tips. Their eyes are slightly larger than normal and range in color from brilliant blues to green or purple. Their hair color normally is a silver-white or black. (2)

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Age. Although elves reach physical maturity at about the same age as humans, the elven understanding of adulthood goes beyond physical growth to encompass worldly experience. An elf typically claims adulthood and an adult name around the age of 100 and can live to be 750 years old.
Alignment. Like elves, the avariel value freedom, and lean towards the gentler aspects of chaos, and although not quite as deeply respectful of all life as their ground-dwelling kin, are still good more often than not.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Flight. You have a flying speed of 50 feet. To use this speed, you can’t be wearing medium or heavy armor. You must be in a space wide enough to accommodate your wingspan to fly. Your wingspan is equal to twice your height. When you take damage while flying, make a Constitution save with a DC equal to 10 or half the damage taken, whichever is higher. If you fail the saving throw, you fall to the ground. If you are wearing armor you are not proficient in or any Medium or Heavy armor, you may not fly. You may not fly in normal backpacks or armor. The cost to alter your gear to be suitable for flight is equal to half the cost of the gear.
Keen Sight. The avariel has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and magic can’t put you to sleep.
Avariel Weapon Training. You have proficiency with rapiers and spears.
Claustrophobia. Whenever an avariel finds itself enclosed in a small area for any significant length of time, it must make a Will save (DC 13) or become panicked (-2 morale penalty on all actions; can become aggressive). Saves are made every day. The panic subsides when the character is brought out into the open air.
Languages. You can speak, read and write in Elvish and Common. The avariel speak the same lilting and fluid language as other elves, and some have even devised an intricate sign language based upon this tongue. Some avariel consider it a source of pride to learn and speak Auran, the language of all avian creatures, and a rare few learn a scattering of the languages utilized by those races dwelling in proximity to them.
Castes. There are two different castes of avariel, the Warlike and the Peaceful.

Warlike
Avariel warriors are geared towards war and power, answering to war chiefs who govern avariel society equally with the religious leaders. They live by a complex code of honor and spend their lives defending their race. In combat, these avariel show no mercy, often using ranged attacks from above and believing that others should know better than to create an enemy of a superior foe, such as themselves. They also view surrender to be dishonorable (for both themselves as well as their enemies), holding the idea that when a warrior draws blood, it is a promise of battle. (2)
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Dive Attack. If the avariel is flying and dives at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a melee piercing weapon attack, the attack deals an extra hit die damage to the target.

Peaceful
The other side of the avariel society includes scholars, philosophers and artists. Intellectuals who believe in solving problems through reason and diplomacy, these avariel spend much time researching magic and history, contemplating religion and worshiping Aerdrie Faenya, and producing art for the sheer joy of creation. (2)
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom or Intelligence score increases by 1.
Peaceful Artists. You are proficient in two artisan tools of your choice.

Young avariel spend time immersed in both cultures (this can last over a decade), so that no matter what sect they come from, they have a deep understanding and respect of how the other half lives.

Panicked: A panicked creature must drop anything it holds and flee at top speed from the source of its fear, as well as any other dangers it encounters, along a random path. It can’t take any other actions. In addition, the creature takes a -2 penalty on all saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. If cornered, a panicked creature cowers. A panicked creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape. (1)
Aggressive: You gain a +2 bonus on initiative checks, but you take a -1 penalty to Armor Class. (1)

Site Sources:
(1) http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/avariel.htm
(2) http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Avariel

RavenJovan
2015-11-20, 08:25 PM
By all Means critique away. :smallsmile:

Edit: Oh and keep in mind I change the initial post consistently until I deem it complete.

Steampunkette
2015-11-20, 08:58 PM
I think splitting out subraces on an elven subrace is a bad idea.

I also feel like giving them the "Drop to 1" and "Roll an extra damage die" speak more towards stronger, hardier, more volatile races like Orcs and Dwarves. Avariel as hollow boned elves, making them more frail and lightweight than even high elves. That doesn't scream powerful or durable to me.

Instead of having subraces with strength or intelligence/wisdom, just make them charismatic and dextrous. It's a nice set of statistics, it points out the inherent beauty and grace of the race, and it's not nearly so flexible for class min-maxing. Though they will make rocking Bards, Dexadins, Warlocks...

I like Panicked. It's a good roleplaying enforcement which limits character power, overall. I dislike the "Whenever you take damage while Flying" function. It almost completely negates any benefit to flight in combat. I'd suggest changing it to critical hits, but also make Critical Hits make it impossible to fly for 5 rounds, or until magical healing is applied, whichever comes first.

RavenJovan
2015-11-21, 01:47 PM
I think splitting out subraces on an elven subrace is a bad idea.

I also feel like giving them the "Drop to 1" and "Roll an extra damage die" speak more towards stronger, hardier, more volatile races like Orcs and Dwarves. Avariel as hollow boned elves, making them more frail and lightweight than even high elves. That doesn't scream powerful or durable to me.

Instead of having subraces with strength or intelligence/wisdom, just make them charismatic and dextrous. It's a nice set of statistics, it points out the inherent beauty and grace of the race, and it's not nearly so flexible for class min-maxing. Though they will make rocking Bards, Dexadins, Warlocks...

I like Panicked. It's a good roleplaying enforcement which limits character power, overall. I dislike the "Whenever you take damage while Flying" function. It almost completely negates any benefit to flight in combat. I'd suggest changing it to critical hits, but also make Critical Hits make it impossible to fly for 5 rounds, or until magical healing is applied, whichever comes first.

Its not an elf subrace, while they "are" cousins to the elves and even considered "winged elves", I don't see them as a simple subrace. As for the subrace division that was a mistake in typing on my part, its a separate caste not subrace, as the children must study under both for a time and chose which to be part of.

As for the features perhaps something different would be in order? How about this? This is to replace savage attack. I'm working on finding something for the Peaceful to have.

Dive Attack. If the avariel is flying and dives at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hits it with a melee piercing weapon attack, the attack deals an extra hit die damage to the target. The damage increases to 2 hit die at 3rd level, 3 at 5th level, and 4 at 7th.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-21, 02:01 PM
Balancing flight is always tricky, and being able to move 50' is especially problematic. On the other hand, Claustrophobia (should be Wisdom instead of Will, btw) could be really nasty depending on what your DM considers "confined" and a "small area" to mean. Overall, I think you're okay, though playtesting would be a good idea.

I have to agree with Steampunkette about Savage Attacks and Relentles Endurance. If other 'martial' races like dwarves, dragonborn and goliaths don't get them, there's no reason why some pansy sky elves should. Also, the Weapon Training should be the sole domain of the warlike caste. Perhaps give a tool proficiency to the peaceful one?

RavenJovan
2015-11-21, 02:11 PM
Balancing flight is always tricky, and being able to move 50' is especially problematic. On the other hand, Claustrophobia (should be Wisdom instead of Will, btw) could be really nasty depending on what your DM considers "confined" and a "small area" to mean. Overall, I think you're okay, though playtesting would be a good idea.

I have to agree with Steampunkette about Savage Attacks and Relentles Endurance. If other 'martial' races like dwarves, dragonborn and goliaths don't get them, there's no reason why some pansy sky elves should. Also, the Weapon Training should be the sole domain of the warlike caste. Perhaps give a tool proficiency to the peaceful one?

What about my Dive Attack ability? They both have the weapon training because children spend time in both sides of the cultures as they pick up at least something from it. As for the Peaceful, I'm looking into that aspect.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-21, 02:26 PM
I think your Dive Attack is too powerful. At the very least, it shouldn't scale by level. Pikes do d10 piercing, and rapiers do d8 with finesse, making the feature more powerful than Sneak Attack (which is strong as class features go) up to level 8. Okay, you have to dive, but that's not much more difficult than the requirements for Sneak Attack.

And I'm not sure it makes sense, lore-wise. To me, elves should be more about art, dancing and magic than running around stabbing people.

RavenJovan
2015-11-21, 02:32 PM
I think your Dive Attack is too powerful. At the very least, it shouldn't scale by level. Pikes do d10 piercing, and rapiers do d8 with finesse, making the feature more powerful than Sneak Attack (which is strong as class features go) up to level 8. Okay, you have to dive, but that's not much more difficult than the requirements for Sneak Attack.

And I'm not sure it makes sense, lore-wise. To me, elves should be more about art, dancing and magic than running around stabbing people.

I'll nerf the Dive Attack by removing the scaling part (I may just create a feat that may allow scaling), but as for the elf lore thing, they aren't elves, they are "related" to elves, but they are (at least in my perspective) not actual elves, hence the fey ancestry, they are of fey decent like the elves but aren't elves.

KoyukiTei13
2016-03-12, 03:19 AM
About your claustrophobia...

I've been working on a flying city full of flying races for a steampunk-esque theme, and I've found something you might like from an Aarakocra variant.

Claustrophobia. While in spaces under 10x10 and/or with no obvious access to the sky, you must make Wisdom save versus DC 8 each hour or become Frightened.
Initially, it was much, much longer, and the DC was 5 instead of 8, but this might be a good way to describe the area and effect? You can always change Frightened with your Panicked, too, because that was an interesting mechanic.

Imagine being in a catacomb killing skeletons at level 2, and your birdman cleric bolts out the door due to 'the walls are trying to crush me!'

Amnoriath
2016-03-12, 09:12 AM
Aside from the issue of Flight no race gets a flat advantage on an ability check, especially one such as Perception. So, just stick with proficiency. Additionally it seems odd that a Caste is actually more resilient than any other elf sub-race but you say they are less hardy in flavor.
Ultimately while you did borrow from the Aarakocra you did provide some defined restrictions that make it more palatable. I do thank you for that, but I still stand by the principle that WOTC wouldn't ever make race that had a land speed of 50 speed in the same armor restrictions and same base speed even though flight is far more powerful.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-12, 12:47 PM
Will saves? Panicked (just go frightened)? Morale penalty and flat penalty? An extra hit die damage? And just remove aggressive -stay simple-. This sounds really cool but please take again a look at the 5e rules:smallwink: (no offence)

RavenJovan
2016-03-12, 01:47 PM
hmm, I thought this thread was burried and lost...ah well, I'll redo this one later, I have a whole book to translate with my improved balancing skills, and of course with the help I get from here I'll likely have them all perfect as I post them.