PDA

View Full Version : Techsmith and Firearms

ekarney
2015-11-21, 01:56 AM
So for anyone who's read it Faiths and Pantheons presents the Techsmith class, which is pretty cool in it's own right however it states in it's proficiencies that it gains EWP (Firearms) and usually when a class is given a proficiency it implies that the player may be using those weapons for the class, however in 3.5 there's very little support for firearms outside of the DMG and that tone DragMag afaik, so my question is what sort of firearm support is available in 3.5 nd if a firearm using build (Without aptitude boomerangs or the like) is viable?

Nashira
2015-11-21, 03:19 AM
I've not read the class, but have you looked at the sample Techsmith presented in F&P? It should list some gear and such and give a build. They usually aren't terribly optimized but out might give you an idea of what the creators were going for.

Uncle Pine
2015-11-21, 04:23 AM
I've not read the class, but have you looked at the sample Techsmith presented in F&P? It should list some gear and such and give a build. They usually aren't terribly optimized but out might give you an idea of what the creators were going for.

There's no such thing as a sample Techsmith, because Faiths and Pantheons doesn't list any sample build for the PrCs it introduces.

@OP: I think you're out of luck. As far as I know, firearms in 3.5e had little to no support. Moreover, since they had so little support they're outright terrible compared to most other weapons (relevant exceptions include repeating crossbows and things like sianghams).
You're better off refluffing heavily enhanced and enchanted crossbows as guns or giving Use Magic Device to Techsmiths instead of Exotic Proficiency (firearms) and have them use wands.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-21, 04:28 AM
That's pretty much it. There isn't really anything to support firearms in 3.5, and what's there is worse than just using a bow or crossbow because of lack of support.
If you actually want to use guns on your character i'd suggest backporting PF content, which actually supports that playstyle (because of the Gunslinger).

ShurikVch
2015-11-21, 05:45 AM
Don't do PF - Misfires SUXX

Greyhawk 2000 (Dragon #277) have Dwarven HMG - 6000 gp, 35 lb., 4d8 piercing, 19-20/X2, and Range Increment 1000'

Also, you may try to quickdraw Field Guns (Dragon #321) - shooting them is just a standard action, thus you can try to rapidshot; 2500 gp, 6d6, no crits, area attack (line 500'X5')

paranoidbox
2015-11-21, 07:48 AM
I've always liked the 2nd edition arquebus, which I think inflicted a mere 1D10 damage, but if you rolled a 10 you could roll again (and again on another 10, and again on another 10, etc etc...).

It's been a long time since I've played 2nd edition, so I might be misremembering. (Also, this doesn't really help you. Sorry!)

Tohsaka Rin
2015-11-21, 10:52 AM
Imply import the weapons from the multitude of D20 Modern books. The main core book has several, and the armory supplement has TONS. If you want to go further, porting in the Futuretech weapons, with a technomagical twist could work pretty well, too.

D20 Modern was made by WotC, and built on the 3.x chassis, so weapon importing en masse isn't a problem at all... Um, except for the really weird wealth system they used... Other than that, though, no problems! Eh heh heh heh... :smallsigh:

ekarney
2015-11-21, 08:24 PM
That's quite weird then isn't it? That they'd give it that without it being viable at all.

I'd say this was more of a curiosity question than anything else since we use our own rules for firearms at my table, we just treat them as crossbows for the purpose of applying feats and firing times and whatnot except instead of consuming ammunition when you load it you also consume gun powder. I know it's not a historically accurate system but it keeps the option open for anyone who wants to use the DragMag firearms and whatnot. With Artillery functioning as standard because whilst D&D can get ridiculous there is a line (Not necessarily power wise because even the most powerful wizard might think that's it's a little conspicuous).