PDA

View Full Version : PC Stupidity Stories

Varian
2007-06-02, 09:25 PM
I know theres another thread like this, but that was 30 pages... I think a new one was needed.

Douglas
2007-06-02, 09:36 PM
I think the official new thread mark is 50 pages.

Varian
2007-06-02, 09:36 PM
So... the first really stupid mistake?

This is the party: human cleric(Teagan), human fighter(Elith), human rouge(Lax). The DM rolls for the players, so they dont know if they see/hear/whatever everything

DM: The road your traveling on curves gently to the south. Beside it you see a large ravine.
Cleric: I'll spot check
DM: *rolls* You see a tree nect to the ravine, a rope tied around its trunk and hanging over the side.
Rogue: I'll climb down
DM: *rolls* Okay, you make it saftly down what seems to be about 50 feet of rope.
Rogue: I'll light a tourch
Fighter: I'll follow
DM: *rolls* okay, as you start down the rope you get halfway and then slip, taking *rolls* 7 points of damage.
Fighter: Ow... I'm pretty hurt
DM: *rolls* Okay, as you stand there, a giant 3 foot long rat tackles Lax, doing 1 point of damage and forcing him to drop the tourch
Fighter: I'll quickdraw my bastardsword and attack it! *rolls* 17?
DM: You hit it, good job. Roll damage
Fighter: *rolls* 8
DM: You slice its head off. Teagan, you hear battle down the ravine, do you want to do anything?
Cleric: Mmm... no, I dont want to fall
DM: Okay... two more rats come out of the darkness surrounding you and attack Elith.
Rogue: *screams* I'm running away! *moves her character out of the light of the tourch
DM: ... okay. You run off a cliff, falling a hundred and fifty feet, taking 56 points of damage. Your dead.
Fighter: I'll attack the remaing rats

Seriously... it may not seem that bad, but my gosh....

Varian
2007-06-02, 10:20 PM
With the same group....

The group decided to rest in the middle of grassland, without seeting watch, without lighting a tourch.

DM: Lax, you wake up to somehing biting your leg. Take 2 damage
Rogue: I'm gonna yell for everyone to wake up and pull out my dagger
DM: Okay, everyone wakes up
Fighter: Whats going on?
Rogue: Something just bit me and woke me up
Righter: Then Im going to stand up and quickdraw my sword
Cleric: Im going to spot
DM: *rolls* You dont see anything because the clouds cover the moon. In fact, you dont even see your comrades because its so dark. Everyone roll initiative *everyone rolls*
Fighter: Im going to attck! *rolls*
DM: Okay, you miss
Cleric: I'll swing my mace
DM: You miss as well
*20 min later, seriously*
DM: In the pitch blackness you miss. Elith, take one point of damage
Rogue: Maybe we should light a torch
Cleric: No, thatll take up a turn!

EricDerKonig
2007-06-03, 12:36 AM
lol. :smallbiggrin:
I'm actually surprised you didn't end up hitting each other.

Ryacko
2007-06-03, 01:06 AM
I would have started 'accidentally' hitting people.

Prustan
2007-06-03, 05:24 AM
My main character (a modified Half-Elf/Aasimar Paladin) would have used her Daylight ability in the first round.

Orak
2007-06-03, 04:51 PM
Exploring a temple guarded by non-agressive but powerful guards in the middle of a desert. They have told the party that they are there to prevent the great beast from being awakened.

DM: You walk into a room that is painted in heiroglyphs and sigils. There is a large eye on the floor.
Fighter: I jump on the eye.
DM: The eye blinks.

Goes downhill from there. Spend the rest of the campaign running from some giant desert dragon. Eventually get pinned down and end up as its slaves.

Icewalker
2007-06-03, 05:07 PM
Ok, I have one. I know a guy who runs dnd for his job. Basically how it works is there is a pool of characters that have been created over the years, and people pick out characters and then go on massive and awesome adventures. Usually include little fighting, more puzzles and traps.

Most of the characters that are regularly played are either new characters made by veteran players, or their old characters who range from 15-25 in level. We were playing with these. And one new kid made a new character, an assassin. Level 1. This is basically a summary of the adventure (it's pretty long, took place over a week):

There was a demigoddess being born, some evil vizier wanted to kidnap her and take her powers, so he had to get to her at the top of this tower. The tower had I think 9 or 11 massive puzzle/traps in it, and he stole a powerful item from loads of different people to get to the top. We got sucked into the adventure because one of the items was from one of our members, 22nd level mage.

The first time we encountered him, we had just watched him disintigrate about 30 people, 10 or so at a time, then he thrust his staff into the ground, put up some kind of invincible shield we couldn't teleport through, and started putting on super powerful magic items. We did figure out that one of our members could psionically dimension door through the shield however.

This guy: "Do it! He's practically defenseless!"
...yeah.

She did it, grabbed the staff to take it out of the ground, hoping that would lower the shield. It mind-controlled her, and she went and lopped off the head of another PC with her vorpal sword.

He escaped through the gate, we followed him. By the time we get inside (gate was magically locked) he is already in the tower. First obstacle: theres a moat. of some evil black demonic looking ooze. The guy decides to climb a nearby tower. when he reaches the top, theres a half-dead skeletal Vrock up there who smashes him, drops him way below -10, and knocks him off the tower. One of the high level PCs, a pegasus paladin, catches him and heals him before he dies. When he lands: "I climb the tower again!" We stopped him of course.

We figure out the moat puzzle get over and enter a room full of masks. We explore, nobody touches the masks (we all know something bad will happen) and he stops and talks to one of them for about 3 rounds. Then he tries to take it off the wall, and everybody gets hit with 10 psionic blasts. We barely made it out with everyone alive.

Got into the next room which was full of some mysterious floating cloth in shreds all over the room. It is floating around...but solid, you can climb on it. He decides to climb up into it. It begins to bunch up and get thicker around him...and he keeps climbing. Soon he is wrapped in some cocoon of it and starts suffocating. We save him, figure it out, get into the next room.

After this I can't remember every room, but I do know a few:
There was a genie who demanded a magic item from each of us. One person could split into copies, rolled 11 copies, and then gave 10 of her +5 staff to him, and he let us all through. This guy was trying to decide whether to steal an item from the genies pile of treasure. We stopped him.

There was a room with a golem, who did a shockwave that doubled in damage every round. We had to deal 500 damage to him in one round, with only one person attacking. After about 2 rounds the shockwaves started killing this level 1 assassin, so we had to keep healing him.

Basically, he killed/almost killed us/himself in every room. We try to keep a closer eye on him now and stop him from actually doing anything when he comes, or at least make sure he stops touching things that will clearly set off horrible traps.

DaMullet
2007-06-03, 07:23 PM
How does one get into a PrC in a level 1 campaign?

EndgamerAzari
2007-06-03, 09:15 PM
This just happened the other night. We found a hundred-foot tower in this manor, with ladder leading up it. After exploring the top of the tower and finding nothing, the Goliath barbarian in the party separated the ladder from the wall as he climbed down and stuck it in his bag of holding. God alone knows what he intends to do with it.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-06-03, 10:55 PM
Ok, I have one. I know a guy who runs dnd for his job. Basically how it works is there is a pool of characters that have been created over the years, and people pick out characters and then go on massive and awesome adventures. Usually include little fighting, more puzzles and traps.

How do you run DnD for a job? Is he like a grandmaster in the park who'll play you for 5$? Does he charge per die roll?

Matthew
2007-06-08, 04:33 PM
I guess he is either an RPG Company employee or Icewalker is employing hyperbole.

Saph
2007-06-08, 04:45 PM
I've posted this before, but it was in a different thread.

Star Wars campaign. Two of the PCs are snooping around the perimeter of a secret Imperial military base outside the city limits. They don't go to any effort to actually hide, so before long a pair of stormtroopers approach them. Now, bear in mind, before the conversation starts, this base is way outside the city. We're talking total wilderness here. There's nothing to be seen in every direction except the military base, which has big DO NOT APPROACH signs.

Stormtroopers: "What are you doing here?"
PCs: "We're looking for a resteraunt."
Stormtroopers: "..."
PCs: "Do you know where we could find one?"

They weren't impressed.

- Saph