PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How to get extra ranks in Knowledge Arcana?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-21, 05:07 AM
I have a sorcerer that would I like to get 8 ranks in Knowledge-Arcana as much earlier than 5th level as I can. Please help.

Thanks in Advance!

nedz
2015-11-21, 05:27 AM
Skills Summary
Your maximum rank in a class skill is your character level + 3.

This is the general rule, so you would need a specific rule to counter this.

Dread_Head
2015-11-21, 05:34 AM
The simplest method is to take the feats Favored and Primary Contact from Cityscape which grant you one extra skill rank in the skill of your choice.

Cheesier methods involve gaining extra hit dice temporarily and then using Psychic Reformation to shift your skills around. One way to do this is by getting a Bard to use Inspire Greatness on you but I think it can also be achieved by polymorphing into a Dusk Giant?

Taelas
2015-11-21, 05:40 AM
The feats are the only unambiguously viable options I can think of, assuming Cityscape is in play. Using temporary HD and psychic reformation relies on your DM not just saying "no".

Uncle Pine
2015-11-21, 05:46 AM
I have a sorcerer that would I like to get 8 ranks in Knowledge-Arcana as much earlier than 5th level as I can. Please help.

Thanks in Advance!

What do you need the ranks for? Qualifying for a feat and/or a PrC? Or do you need it for a longer period of time than "leveling up"?
Leech Ghost Skill (Ghostwalk) can be used to bypass skill requirements, although you'll need to pay a spellcaster or use a scroll if you need it at 5th level (since it's a 5th level spell).

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-21, 09:40 AM
I am indeed attempting to qualify for a PrC. Thank you all for your assistance.

Chronos
2015-11-21, 09:49 AM
The simplest cheesy method is the Reincarnate spell. You lose a level, but you still keep all your skill ranks. So you get to 5th level via normal means and get your 8 ranks, then you die and get reincarnated four times. You're now a first-level character with 8 ranks in Spellcraft.

Of course, this won't actually get you to eight ranks any faster, since you still have to level up in the first place to get them. But it will get you to any point past that faster, since you'll need less XP to level up.

Ruethgar
2015-11-21, 09:57 AM
It doesn't circumvent the levels, but if you choose a full bloodline at level one it costs 0xp and raises the skull cap by 3. Less cheese costs 3k xp at level 2.

Twurps
2015-11-21, 11:23 AM
It doesn't circumvent the levels, but if you choose a full bloodline at level one it costs 0xp and raises the skull cap by 3.

Wouldn't that also leave you dead? As bloodline levels don't grant HP you wouldn't have any HP at all....