PDA

View Full Version : Because Stormwrack doesn't have enough[items]

Winged One
2007-06-03, 12:11 AM
Ring of Sailing
This ring gives the wearer knowledge of the ways of the sea instilled by it's creator, giving them a +5 compotence bonus to Profession(sailor) checks.
Faint transmutation; CL 2nd; Forge Ring, creator must have 5 ranks in the Profession(sailor) skill; Price 2,500 gp(52*100).

Ring of Sailing, Improved
As a ring of sailing, except it grants a +10 competence bonus on its wearer’s Profession(sailor) check.
Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Forge Ring, creator must have 10 ranks in the Profession(sailor) skill; Price 10,000 gp(102*100).

Ring of Sailing, Greater
As a ring of sailing, except it grants a +20 competence bonus on its wearer’s Profession(sailor) check.
Strong transmutation; CL 17th; Forge Ring, creator must have 20 ranks in the Profession(sailor) skill; Price 40,000 gp(202*100).

Ring of Sailing, Bonded
These wooden rings are keyed to a specific ship, and are typically whittled from the spars of that ship. They function as a normal ring of sailing but only aboard the vessel it was made on. They are often issued to the crew of a particuarly fine ship to give them an edge without the risk of theft by an untrustworthy deckhand.
Faint transmutation; CL 2nd; Forge Ring, creator must have 5 ranks in the Profession(sailor) skill, creator must spend the entire item creation process on the keyed ship; Price 1,250 gp(52*100/2).

Third Eye Sail
This kind of third eye continually grants the wearer a +10 competence bonus on Profession(sailor) checks.
Moderate clairsentience; ML 7th; Craft Universal Item, creator must have 10 ranks in Profession(sailor); Price 10,000 gp(102*100).

Third Eye Shipmind
This kind of third eye allows the wearer to speak telepathicly with any ship that they are standing on, as the true helmsman power. It grants no other benefits of true helmsman, only the ability to speak with the ship.
Moderate clairsentience; ML 11th; Craft Universal Item, true helmsman; Price 5,000 gp(entirely ad hoc).

Rum of Luck
Actually a potent, and often faked, magical elixer, this coveted beverage gives the drinker an extra luck reroll for the day. The luck reroll fades when normal luck rerolls are gained, and is used first before normal luck rerolls. A character may only benefit from rum of luck once per day.
Moderate transmutation; CL 11th; Craft Wonderous Item, any luck feat; Price 1,000 gp(the cost of a lucky charm devided by 7).

Helm of Disguise
Often installed on notorious smuggling vessels, infamous pirate ships, and other well-known ships that often need to opperate innocuously, this ships wheel allows the captain(or another officer who knows the command word), twice per day to alter it as with a disguise ship spell. A ship can remain disguised indefinately through the use of this item as long as somebody who knows the command word is aboard, but the command word must be said exactly 12 hours after the last use of the word, making the magic prone to short, but critical, times where the vessel's true form is shown, due to it's user not knowing the exact time.
Moderate Illusion; CL 12th; Craft Wonderous Item, disguise ship; Price 34,560 gp(4*12*1800*2/5)

Helm of Disguise, Reliable
Due to a normal helm of disguise being so touchy about the command word being said at the exact time required, this version was created in order to eliminate the chance of the disguise slipping. A reliable helm of disguise is activated by either a command word or by the wheel being turned in precise ways, simmilar to a combination lock. When activated, the reliable helm produces a disguise ship effect continuously until commanded to change or stop projecting the disguise. In addition to not needing the command word constantly spoken, this also allows the ship to stay in one place, unmanned, and not be discovered until somebody either uses true seeing or interacts with the ship and saves to disbelieve the illusion.
Moderate Illusion, CL 7th, Craft Wonderous Item, disguise ship, Price 56,000 gp(4*7*2000)

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-03, 12:39 AM
I'd buy them. Looks great, can't really add or criticize anything. Good job.

Winterking
2007-06-03, 12:46 AM
Cool gear. I personally would be inclined to make the rings significantly cheaper, but limited to particular ships, or only giving a full bonus if they're on a particular ship. But that's because I'd give them the fluff that they had to be made out of the same wood, or whittled from the ship's spars, or something.

Icewalker
2007-06-03, 12:50 AM
Well, I need magic items (lots of em) for my sea-based campaign world, and I looked through Stormwrack and decided I didn't really want anything in it.

I'd totally use these...but I'm removing Profession (Sailor) from the skills.

The rum is awesome.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-06-03, 12:50 AM
Cool gear. I personally would be inclined to make the rings significantly cheaper, but limited to particular ships, or only giving a full bonus if they're on a particular ship. But that's because I'd give them the fluff that they had to be made out of the same wood, or whittled from the ship's spars, or something.

Oooh...cool fluff.

Winged One
2007-06-03, 01:05 AM
Ah. Well, I altered the fluff on the normal rings, but also added one like you mentioned. If you want an Improved Bonded or Greater Bonded version, just halve the price on regular Improved/Greater rings.

Well, I need magic items (lots of em) for my sea-based campaign world, and I looked through Stormwrack and decided I didn't really want anything in it.

I'd totally use these...but I'm removing Profession (Sailor) from the skills.

The rum is awesome.
Because it's 1000 gp a shot, the rum is always gone.:smallwink: Although I honestly can't fathom why you would make a sea-based world and then ban Profession(sailor), unless ships don't exist in your world for some reason. Like the title of the thread says, Stormwrack doesn't have enough items.

Kyace
2007-06-03, 01:09 AM
Rum of Luck
Actually a potent, and often faked, magical elixer, this coveted beverage gives the drinker an extra luck reroll for the day. The luck reroll fades when normal luck rerolls are gained, and is used first before normal luck rerolls. A character may only benefit from rum of luck once per day.
Moderate transmutation; CL 11th; Craft Wonderous Item, any luck feat; Price 1,000 gp.
Shouldn't you brew rum? You might consider making it use Brew Potion instead of Craft Wonderous Item.

Winged One
2007-06-03, 02:05 AM
Rum of Luck uses the rules for elixers, such as Elixer of Fire Breath (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#elixirofFireBreath). It's just rum...well, it's rum because I felt like it being rum, that's why.

Icewalker
2007-06-03, 02:10 AM
Because it's 1000 gp a shot, the rum is always gone.:smallwink: Although I honestly can't fathom why you would make a sea-based world and then ban Profession(sailor), unless ships don't exist in your world for some reason. Like the title of the thread says, Stormwrack doesn't have enough items.

Well, basically I am removing Profession (Sailor) and replacing it with a Sailor class, and two new feats, Sail Work and Cannon Work.

And writing up a massive new and unique system for ship-to-ship combat.

Winged One
2007-06-03, 03:31 AM
Update: I changed the helm of disguise to make it cheaper and more prone to failure(okay, it's a transparent way to allow the DM to force the PCs to get out of a port if they're passengers on a ship that needs it), and added a reliable version(a lot more expensive, but it won't fail from anything short of true seeing). I also noted how I priced everything. You'll note that I just guessed about the third eye shipmind(it pretty much exists to give the wearer something to roleplay, or to let them recieve a plot hook from the ship, but there are a few insidious ways to use it). I'm also considering reducing the costs of the helms of disguise, as a RAW disguise ship spell can affect any ship, and these items only work on the ships that they are installed on. Any thoughts about that? Also, I'll take suggestions on any new seafaring items if you have them. Oh, and if you see an abuse, tell me so that I can prevent it(if you've seen one of my other homebrew items that an abuse exists for, you know how I'll do it).