View Full Version : Pathfinder Can someone explain monk attacks to me?

90sMusic
2015-11-21, 10:18 PM
Using the d20pfsrd website on the Monk class page. I tried posting a link to it but the forum sassed me and said I can't post links.

I'm trying to understand where the extra monk attacks are coming from.
You get an extra attack once you get 6 BAB, then another attack when you get to 11 BAB. So that's 3.

Flurry of Blows explicitly states you get one extra attack at level one, you get another extra attack at level 8, and another extra attack at level 15.

So combining them all you get 6.
So from what i'm reading it seems you should get two attacks until level 8 where it jumps to 4 attacks until level 15 where it jumps to 6 attacks.

But the table has completely different information on it under flurry of blows. It has a third attack starting at level 6 (where did this come from?). Jumps to 4 attacks at level 8 (which it should), 5 attacks at level 11 (where did this come from?), 6 attacks at level 15 (which it should), but then it gains a 7th attack at 16.

It's almost as if flurry of blows is adding an extra hit every 5 levels beyond level 1 instead of one extra at 8 and one extra at 15 like it says further down the page. But you do gain the extra hit from the BAB at 8 and 15. Also it says those extra hits should be taking a penalty as if using the various two weapon fighting feats. Like -2 and -5 and -10. But the listed attack bonus for each hit implies you only get a -1 penalty at level 1 and at level 5 you get 0 penalty, and at level 9 you get +1, and at 13 you get +2, and at level 18 you get +3.

I don't get it. :/

The table does not match up with anything else written on that page at all. Can someone explain this nonsense to me?

Genth
2015-11-21, 10:22 PM
This is the part you've overlooked:

For the purpose of these attacks, the monk's base attack bonus from his monk class levels is equal to his monk level. For all other purposes, such as qualifying for a feat or a prestige class, the monk uses his normal base attack bonus.

So for flurry of blows purposes, you get +6 BAB at level 6, and so on.

90sMusic
2015-11-21, 10:27 PM
Ok that actually clears up everything. I guess I just didn't understand that when I read it the first time.

That explains it all though, thanks. :)

Psyren
2015-11-22, 03:50 PM
The Unchained Monk's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/monk-unchained) flurry is even easier. They just have full BAB all the time, so there's none of that "changing BAB" to wrap your head around anymore. (They also don't need the Defensive Combat Training feat tax.)