PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Guys I think it's Elan

Kesamijr
2015-11-21, 11:37 PM
I think Elan is the last demigod, for he is the highpriest of BANJO THE CLOWN!!!! I BELIEVE IN BANJO THE CLOWN!!!!!! That's why the other dwarf would be on board, to trick Elan into thinking he should vote yes, or to trick him in some way (which wouldn't be hard).

Domino Quartz
2015-11-21, 11:40 PM
You're wayyyyyyyyyyyyy late with that theory. It's already been put forward at least twice by now.

Lord Stoneheart
2015-11-21, 11:44 PM
I think Elan is the last demigod, for he is the highpriest of BANJO THE CLOWN!!!! I BELIEVE IN BANJO THE CLOWN!!!!!! That's why the other dwarf would be on board, to trick Elan into thinking he should vote yes, or to trick him in some way (which wouldn't be hard).

Banjo's not a member of the Northern Pantheon. Sorry. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html

Also even if he was, it wouldn't be Elan making the vote, it would be Banjo himself. Also the last demigod vote would be the demigod that the dwarf with the crown symbol on his hat is the high priest of. Whatever Lurky's backup plan is, it doesn't involve the voting because it's not really in his ability to influence how they vote. Hel attempted that with the demigods and it doesn't seem to have worked.

There. Now this is the end of the "Banjo will be the deciding vote" theory right?

Pyrous
2015-11-22, 12:11 AM
Banjo's not a member of the Northern Pantheon. Sorry. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0137.html

Also even if he was, it wouldn't be Elan making the vote, it would be Banjo himself. Also the last demigod vote would be the demigod that the dwarf with the crown symbol on his hat is the high priest of. Whatever Lurky's backup plan is, it doesn't involve the voting because it's not really in his ability to influence how they vote. Hel attempted that with the demigods and it doesn't seem to have worked.

There. Now this is the end of the "Banjo will be the deciding vote" theory right?

You forgot to say that being High Priest of a God is not the same thing as being a demigod. Of course, someone could say that being The Prophet of a god could make you a demigod.

Also the "Banjo will be the deciding vote" theory will not end even after the Godsmoot and we all know it.

I can already see it: ten strips after the godsmoot is over, someone will still be saying that it is not over yet, that there will be another godsmoot and this time all will hear the call... the Call of BANJULHU! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html)

And they will be arguing if the next godsmoot will be called because the last gate will be destroyed, or because of some made up godsmoot rule that was broken, invalidating the result of this one.

factotum
2015-11-22, 02:53 AM
You forgot to say that being High Priest of a God is not the same thing as being a demigod.

Er, isn't that covered sufficiently by this line? :smallconfused:

"Also even if he was, it wouldn't be Elan making the vote, it would be Banjo himself."

Pyrous
2015-11-22, 03:19 AM

"Also even if he was, it wouldn't be Elan making the vote, it would be Banjo himself."

The OP said he thinks Elan is the last demigod. If Elan was the last demigod, then he would get a vote (if he had a High Priest). That is not adressed in Lord Stoneheart's comment.

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-22, 09:23 AM
You're wayyyyyyyyyyyyy late with that theory. It's already been put forward at least twice by now.

At least 20,000 times, I'd say. ;)

Heck, I put it forward initially, and I hate the Banjo theory with a passion, too.

But, the last vote belongs with the priest of (probably) Forseti. Whatever Gontor is up to is the "Plan B" in case the vote went against Hel; it's not something to change the vote in her favor, it's a new thing entirely.

Lord Stoneheart
2015-11-22, 10:06 AM

Yeah, that was my point with that line. I assumed that the OP meant to say that Banjo was the last demigod. (I have no idea where they would get Elan being a demigod from). I was pointing out that if Elan was the high priest of Banjo, and Banjo was allowed a vote, tricking Elan wouldn't have any influence on Banjo's vote itself.

The OP said he thinks Elan is the last demigod. If Elan was the last demigod, then he would get a vote (if he had a High Priest). That is not adressed in Lord Stoneheart's comment.

Sorry for being unclear. The point of that line was to say that Elan is not a demigod, and he would not be able to make a vote himself. Though see above, I did assume that the OP meant to say that Banjo was the demigod in question.

137beth
2015-11-22, 10:39 AM
I'm half-hoping Elan will turn to the fourth wall and say
"I can't enter the Godsmoot, because Banjo isn't a god of the northern pantheon, and important conflicts won't be resolved by what was supposed to be a joke 900 strips ago."

But I doubt even that would stop the speculation.

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-22, 11:43 AM
"I can't enter the Godsmoot, because Banjo isn't a god of the northern pantheon, and important conflicts won't be resolved by what was supposed to be a joke 900 strips ago."

Yes, I think you're right; the Church of Banjo is just too strong on these forums. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2015-11-22, 12:48 PM

You must be new here.

Pyrous
2015-11-22, 03:44 PM
Yeah, that was my point with that line. I assumed that the OP meant to say that Banjo was the last demigod. (I have no idea where they would get Elan being a demigod from). I was pointing out that if Elan was the high priest of Banjo, and Banjo was allowed a vote, tricking Elan wouldn't have any influence on Banjo's vote itself.

Sorry for being unclear. The point of that line was to say that Elan is not a demigod, and he would not be able to make a vote himself. Though see above, I did assume that the OP meant to say that Banjo was the demigod in question.

In my opinion, you made a very good job of disproving the "Banjo has the deciding vote" theory. The only part that I think is unclear was stating that Elan is not a demigod. My post was inteded to make it clear (and to say that it doesn't matter how good of a job one does to disprove this, it will not end). I failed miserably. So let me focus on the second objective.

I agree with you that the OP probably meant to say that Banjo was the last demigod. But, as the comic only states that Banjo refused to be part of the Northern Pantheon, one could easily create something like this:

Elan is The Prophet of Banjo (who is a full-fledged god), so he could be considered a demigod, and he could have been accepted in the Northern Pantheon. The last high priest (the dwarf with the crown in his hat) is the High Priest of Elan. Hammerferatu is in the Mechane to trick Elan, demigod of tropes, into voting yes.

Yes, I know that this new theory has a lot of problems. The point is that it now exists. Sorry.

And while it wouldn't be Banjo casting the deciding vote, it's of the general "Elan will save the day because Banjo" kind. This kind of speculation won't go away until the Godsmoot is over. Maybe not even then.

Of course, I have no problems with Elan saving the day: I would really like to see him testing his new wand on the vampire.

Lord Stoneheart
2015-11-22, 06:26 PM
You must be new here.

It's my first day. :smallredface:

Umm, in seriousness I expect this to float around well after the next godsmoot scene which I think will resolve the vote. (I've lurked here for a while before starting to post. Like 2011 I think?).

Though now that I think about it, I think people are being tongue in cheek and I'm completely misreading them.

Domino Quartz
2015-11-22, 07:07 PM

Umm, in seriousness I expect this to float around well after the next godsmoot scene which I think will resolve the vote. (I've lurked here for a while before starting to post. Like 2011 I think?).

Though now that I think about it, I think people are being tongue in cheek and I'm completely misreading them.

I think you could be forgiven for thinking that this was serious. People on this board have proposed much crazier theories, and been serious about them.

DavidBV
2015-11-22, 07:36 PM
HPoH says one outstanding vote, not two.

And would be too implausible, all the banjo-thingie is a joke, I for one would feel unsatisfied to see anything of the sort resolve this climatic scene.

Kish
2015-11-23, 01:08 AM
"Elan is the last demigod" would indeed be a theory we haven't seen (if the next few words did not make it clear it's a misphrasing for the same old Banjo theory).

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-23, 03:16 AM

Well, I for one am so sick of the Banjo theorizing, that even if it was tongue in cheek, I'd treat it as serious and shoot it down, because I can't be bothered to try to judge if someone is saying the irritating, obnoxious theory seriously or not. And in any case, how can one tell, short of them using blue text? I approve of your response, sir or madam. :

I think you could be forgiven for thinking that this was serious. People on this board have proposed much crazier theories, and been serious about them.

And, as noted above, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between someone being serious with a crazy theory and someone joking about it. Because if the theory is crazy enough it looks like a joke, even if it's being proposed seriously. :smallbiggrin:

HPoH says one outstanding vote, not two.

And would be too implausible, all the banjo-thingie is a joke, I for one would feel unsatisfied to see anything of the sort resolve this climatic scene.

Agreed. I thought initially it was Banjo when I misread the comic in haste while preparing to work; but I hated the idea totally, and still do.

Luckily, Forseti's priest is still there, ready to vote. And if we don't hear a word about that detestable clown-puppet for the rest of the comic, I for one will be very pleased.

I used to like Elan, but the "OMGZZZZ, it's Banjo! Banjo will save the day!" chorus every 2 seconds with every comic is starting to make me hate the bard, also, and hope that he gets unmade by the Snarl.

Yes, I am feeling rather mean at the moment, why do you ask?

schmunzel
2015-11-23, 03:20 AM
Well, I for one am so sick of the Banjo theorizing, that even if it was tongue in cheek, I'd treat it as serious and shoot it down, because I can't be bothered to try to judge if someone is saying the irritating, obnoxious theory seriously or not. And in any case, how can one tell, short of them using blue text? I approve of your response, sir or madam. :

And, as noted above, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between someone being serious with a crazy theory and someone joking about it. Because if the theory is crazy enough it looks like a joke, even if it's being proposed seriously. :smallbiggrin:

Agreed. I thought initially it was Banjo when I misread the comic in haste while preparing to work; but I hated the idea totally, and still do.

Luckily, Forseti's priest is still there, ready to vote. And if we don't hear a word about that detestable clown-puppet for the rest of the comic, I for one will be very pleased.

I used to like Elan, but the "OMGZZZZ, it's Banjo! Banjo will save the day!" chorus every 2 seconds with every comic is starting to make me hate the bard, also, and hope that he gets unmade by the Snarl.

Yes, I am feeling rather mean at the moment, why do you ask?

Actually Im sure if Banjo would vote, that it would be in favor of world destruction, so that puppets get a better deal in world creation the next time around!

sch

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-23, 03:40 AM
Actually Im sure if Banjo would vote, that it would be in favor of world destruction, so that puppets get a better deal in world creation the next time around!

sch

Quite true! :smallbiggrin:

Being a googly-eyed clown, he's likely a malevolent little blighter, anyway. After all, our one sight of his "divine" power being exercised isn't healing or something, it's an attempt to smite Roy over a slight. Who knows what darkness lurks in the heart of clown puppets. :smallwink:

theasl
2015-11-23, 04:13 AM
sounds like a good drinking game - every time someone posts this theory here, take a shot.

Alent
2015-11-23, 05:07 AM
Quite true! :smallbiggrin:

Being a googly-eyed clown, he's likely a malevolent little blighter, anyway. After all, our one sight of his "divine" power being exercised isn't healing or something, it's an attempt to smite Roy over a slight. Who knows what darkness lurks in the heart of clown puppets. :smallwink:

I don't know why this thread caught my eye, but here's a fun epileptic tree for this one that is in absolutely no way serious:

Folseti abstains from voting while reminding everyone how he lost his hand, leading to a hung vote and the sudden invitation of an up and coming demigod to the Godsmoot... Chuckles and his Half orc orc high priest.

This leads to the sudden revelation that the dwarf vampire who's name I'm forgetting is actually there to warn Elan that he needs help to prevent the arrival of Chuckles, (who intends to vote yes) offering to save the world by becoming the high priest of Banjulu.

Inevitably, he betrays Elan, resulting in Elan being forced to become the high priest of Banjo, with the three puppet demigods voting 2-1 in favor of world destruction. Elan smacks himself on the forehead and says "I should have seen that sudden yet inevitable betrayal coming, it was so obvious I thought it was too obvious to actually happen."

Fortunately, Chuckles changes his mind and votes for punching Redcloak's niece. These are chaotic stupid puppets not bound by the original terms of the Godsmoot, after all.

(Quick, am I missing anything? Or did I hit the whole drinking game list?)

Southern Cross
2015-11-23, 05:14 AM
That would be one fast way to get roaring drunk....

Domino Quartz
2015-11-23, 05:38 AM
I don't know why this thread caught my eye, but here's a fun epileptic tree for this one that is in absolutely no way serious:

Folseti abstains from voting while reminding everyone how he lost his hand, leading to a hung vote and the sudden invitation of an up and coming demigod to the Godsmoot... Chuckles and his Half orc orc high priest.

This leads to the sudden revelation that the dwarf vampire who's name I'm forgetting is actually there to warn Elan that he needs help to prevent the arrival of Chuckles, (who intends to vote yes) offering to save the world by becoming the high priest of Banjulu.

Inevitably, he betrays Elan, resulting in Elan being forced to become the high priest of Banjo, with the three puppet demigods voting 2-1 in favor of world destruction. Elan smacks himself on the forehead and says "I should have seen that sudden yet inevitable betrayal coming, it was so obvious I thought it was too obvious to actually happen."

Fortunately, Chuckles changes his mind and votes for punching Redcloak's niece. These are chaotic stupid puppets not bound by the original terms of the Godsmoot, after all.

(Quick, am I missing anything? Or did I hit the whole drinking game list?)
Who's Chuckles?

Quild
2015-11-23, 05:59 AM

sch
Considering how thing works, Banjo wouldn't get many souls (he would get, like, one) and therefore wouldn't have much impact on next world. Maybe not even enough to actually have his own Church in that world

It's better for him to have Elan continue to try to get more people in the Church.

veti
2015-11-23, 06:09 AM
Who's Chuckles?

About 20 minutes after Elan left the orc island, the church of Giggles experienced its first schism.

Chuckles is simply the most powerful of the rival puppets now competing for that island; others include Chortles, Sniggers, Guffaws, Howls, Cackles, Hoots, Titters, Snorts and Tickles.

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-23, 07:06 AM
About 20 minutes after Elan left the orc island, the church of Giggles experienced its first schism.

Chuckles is simply the most powerful of the rival puppets now competing for that island; others include Chortles, Sniggers, Guffaws, Howls, Cackles, Hoots, Titters, Snorts and Tickles.

You officially started my day with a laugh. Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

BaronOfHell
2015-11-23, 08:10 AM
I subscribe to the Elan is a demigod theory. It'd explain so much. Especially if he's unaware of it.:smallbiggrin:

KorvinStarmast
2015-11-23, 11:42 AM
I subscribe to the Elan is a demigod theory. It'd explain so much. Especially if he's unaware of it.:smallbiggrin:This makes Haley ... what? Consort of a demigod? Leda the swan to his Zeus? Europa to his bull?

Sorry, not seeing it.

Khay
2015-11-23, 01:32 PM
How silly. It's clearly Trigak.

But first his heads will have to vote among themselves. The first two heads will disagree, then something will interrupt the tie-breaker's tie-breaker because that's how this sub-plot works.

Porthos
2015-11-23, 01:50 PM
I will say one thing. I won't be surprised at all if this gets some sort of Lampshade Hanging when all is said and done. Some sort of quick gag/comment from Elan about how Banjo could have staved off the whole thing off and everyone else just ignoring him and/or a sarcastic comment from one of the other people around him.

What exactly that comment would be and whether it would indicated a yes vote, a no vote, or a "your rules suck I reject your vote entirely" vote only Elan knows. :smallwink:

Alent
2015-11-24, 02:39 AM

Somehow, Giggles mutated to Chuckles in my memory, but I like this headcanon better. :smallbiggrin:

woweedd
2015-11-24, 07:58 AM

I want to Sig this.