PDA

View Full Version : It'd Be Darude Not to Ask

Maerok
2007-06-03, 08:47 AM
What does everyone think about the Sandstorm book? I really like the Sand Shaper and the Walker in the Wastes, and I've always had a liking for the desert (over the sea for Stormwrack, or really cold places for Frostburn); if I were to buy one of the triplets, I'd get Sandstorm. But I've heard that these three, despite the nice 224 pages, are not worth it. As a DM and a player, I'd use it either way so the DM/player focus isn't the matter. I'm just not sure if what I see is quality stuff or not.

Right now, the only books on my 'list' are possibly Sandstorm, and Heroes of Battle, with a possible Tome of Battle on the side (but I'm more of a caster sort of guy, so maybe I'll go with Tome of Magic for some new flavors).

Khoran
2007-06-03, 08:58 AM
I liked Sandstorm. It's got nice info for desert based campaign, I'm working on a Desert based setting and I'm liking the informatino that Sandstorm gives me. However, I can see why someone might say it's not worth the money. The stuff is rather specific and if you're not basing your game in the desert it can quickly become useless. It's akward, I wouldn't say you need to buy it, but I'd also say that it's a good thing to have around. Basically, the best way to put my feelings that if downloading it wasn't illegal, I'd recomend that (However, it is and you shouldn't do it.)

Also, I'd recomend ToB over ToM, but then again, I'm mostly about the melee.

kjones
2007-06-03, 08:59 AM
I have no opinion on the books but the titular pun of this thread is TERRIBLE.

Maerok
2007-06-03, 09:01 AM
I have no opinion on the books but the titular pun of this thread is TERRIBLE.

That's what I'm here for. :smallbiggrin:

MisterSaturnine
2007-06-03, 10:19 AM
Please note I'm new to the game. Really, really new. I played once. The DM had never DMed before (though he still did a pretty good job).

But I bought meself Sandstorm, and I rather like it. I also really liked Walker in the Waste and Sandshaper myself, and I also think some of the weapons in there are cool--specifically, the fingerblade and eagle's claw.

Because I'm new, my knowledge of functionality is pretty limited to "wizards super-powerful," "fighters get weak," and "bards are silly (but awesome)." The stuff in the book does seem really cool though, and in the end, isn't that what matters? The sheer level of awesome your character exudes?

Plus, I'd personally enjoy taking part in a campaign in the waste.

Well...forcing my character to. While sitting on a couch. With something to eat. With the AC on.

Leon
2007-06-03, 10:53 AM
Listening to the song as i type :)

I like it, aside from its specific aim which only allows for more detail to the topic i can forsee it getting a lot of use im the campagin i just joined - DarkSun Both from a DM and Player point of view

I'd rate it better than frostburn but about par with Stormwrack (stormwrack holds more interest for me with the ship combat rules among other things)

ToB is a good read even if you dont err to the martial but i have no idea what the other books are like

Maerok
2007-06-03, 03:08 PM
Any Druid variants? A 'Desert' Druid/Walker in the Waste would be cool.

Koji
2007-06-03, 03:11 PM
Stormwrack was incredible, and sandstorm and frostburn are both kinda meh. Useful if you want to use that setting, but utterly pointless if you don't.

One thing it comes in handy for is extraplanar settings, where even high-level adventurers are in danger from the climate.

Talya
2007-06-03, 03:24 PM
I'm making heavy use of both books in my current evil swashbuckling campaign. It's set in FR, but the party is mostly based out of Calimshan/Calimport when not at sea.