PDA

View Full Version : AVB - Fiendish Climb

planswalker
2015-11-22, 02:38 AM
As you make your way to the Mage's Quarter, you notice that the level of wealth on display doesn't overtly increase, per say, but the number of magical effects seen does. While the houses don't get any fancier than the ones in Midtown, everburning effects appear near most street corners. The closer you get to the center of the quarter, the more these effects accumulate until glowing illusory script flickers through intricate advertisements on storefronts as homonculi tend to cleaning the streets.

Visible from anywhere in the quarter is a single spire that pierces above the other buildings in the whole city.

Debatra
2015-11-22, 03:15 AM
While impressed by some of the sights, and probably taking a few moments to appreciate some of them, Aeirthir nonetheless heads straight for the Spire unless something happens along the way.

planswalker
2015-11-22, 05:25 AM
You arrive to find yourself in the base of the tower, located in the center of the Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica. A small crowd has gathered around the base of the tower, which somehow appears shorter than it did in the distance, only seven stories high and only about twice the height of the next-tallest building. Definitely not the impossibly-high spire you saw from a distance. There appears to be only one door at the base of the spire, and a woman sits behind a booth in front of it. Several people approach her as you watch. All but one of them are turned away. The one who wasn't, a goliath male with a rather strange gait to one leg, hands over a sack to the woman. She opens the bag, nods her head, and lets him in through the spire.

Debatra
2015-11-22, 09:55 AM
I walk over to the booth. "Good morning, ma'am. Would this be the place to sign up for the University's climbing event?"

Did he take the sack with him, or does she still have it?

planswalker
2015-11-22, 01:42 PM
she still has it. It was his entry fee

"Yep. 250 gold to climb. No flight or teleportation allowed, no magic once you reach the tower. After last week's incident, we've erected the outer shell to protect entrants from interference from the ground. Once you get to the 7th floor, you'll find a portal to the Tallest Spire. The other side is a dead magic zone. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

Debatra
2015-11-23, 05:46 AM
I take a moment to consider. "And are those the only rules? What about interference from other climbers?"

Also, how does paying from a bank account work in Aldhaven? Checks? Magical debit card?

planswalker
2015-11-24, 01:16 AM
"Other climbers are allowed to interfere with each others' paths once they've made it through the portal, but no one is allowed to interfere with gaining entrance to the tower."

I... don't know what would be period to our renaissance-era piece. For now, you can authorize them to charge to your account. Riz likely knows more and we should discuss it in our thread.

Debatra
2015-11-24, 09:12 AM
"And what sort of 'fabulous prizes' would I be looking at if I won?"

Taking ten for 19 on Knowledge (Local) to see if I know what "last week's incident" was.

planswalker
2015-11-24, 08:12 PM
The "incident" was where someone tried to snipe a competitor off the ledge after they paid their entry fee but before reaching the portal. The person fell 30 feet and nearly died.

"Well, the very climb itself is an achievement which will leave you stronger than when you began. There is also a 1,000 gold prize and the title of this year's 'Spire Hawk'. Most merchants in the city will offer you a 10% discount as well for as long as you hold the title."

it's also worth about double the xp you get from the encounters along the way.

Debatra
2015-11-25, 05:57 AM
I take a moment to consider the cost and potential risks versus the reward for victory. Then, ultimately deciding it's worth a try: "Alright then, sign me up. I don't have the cash on-hand, but I'll authorize a withdrawal from my account at the Bank of Aldhaven.* If I win, you can put the prize money in there, too."

I pull a pen from one of my pockets, ready to sign whatever is needed. After thoroughly reading it, of course.

*Or whatever it's actually called.

planswalker
2015-11-25, 02:47 PM
banking in Aldhaven is privatized and there are several firms. Johan's and Sons is one. You can use that one if you want or just make up something that sounds good.

She hands you a form to fill out and sign authorizing the university to charge the account 250 gold as a one-time fee for entry into the contest and to deposit any winnings into the same account if successful.

Assuming you sign, she says, "Well, congratulations and welcome to the climb! Step on in when you're ready."

Debatra
2015-11-25, 03:48 PM
I sign them, hand them over and walk a few steps behind her. Before going in, I take the time to change my Vestment of Many Styles to resemble its natural state: that of a simple yet well-made red tunic. Then I go in.

planswalker
2015-11-25, 05:55 PM
Inside the tower's walls is... another tower! This one has no door or other entrance. Merely a sign saying "Climbing contest: 10th floor" and an arrow indicating "up".

Debatra
2015-11-25, 07:50 PM
I take a moment to look it over for some good handholds and footholds, then start to climb; taking ten for 22.

planswalker
2015-11-25, 10:54 PM
You find the wall trivially easy to scale for your level of skill. You arrive at the top unimpeded.

Debatra
2015-11-26, 06:31 AM
I step into the portal.

planswalker
2015-11-26, 02:50 PM
You find yourself on a ledge 5ft wide surrounding a circular tower that appears to be about 200 feet thick. The ground is about 200 feet below you, and you see a sign that reads simply: "The top: 15,750 feet" The brick masonry provides only the barest of handholds.

Debatra
2015-11-26, 03:51 PM
I jump as high as I can, then run up the next thirty feet of the wall, leap upwards at the end of it and climb whatever distance I can cover in the rest of the round.

Jump 1: [roll0]
Jump 2: [roll1]
Climb: [roll2]

Using Leaping Climber (which explicitly doesn't require a running start), then Wall Walker, then using that as a running start for another jump.

EDIT: Hmm... Would it be possible to use some of my Wall Walker movement from the next round to catch myself?

planswalker
2015-11-26, 04:21 PM
that doesn't work.

First of all, you can only use skill tricks once per encounter (since this is an encounter albeit not a combat one, you can only use this once.) Nothing is allowing you to use it twice, and certainly not twice in the same round.

Second, the Wall Walker feat requires you to make a climb check at the end of the walking climb movement. You don't get to interrupt it with a jump check just because you feel like it.

Third, using Wall Walker =/= a running start to a jump check. Furthermore, it makes no logical sense to be able to some how jump off a wall and achieve vertical movement from it. If you were wanting to jump away from the wall, sure. But a vertical jump off of a vertical surface that somehow stays parallel to the vertical surface makes no sense.

You Jump up onto the wall and use your superhuman athletics to turn that momentum into walking up another 30 feet of the wall before needing to stop and catch yourself.

Unfortunately, all your fancy maneuvering catches you up and you end up falling back down and take [roll0] damage.

I do suggest you take 10 on this portion of the climb while you can, since there is nothing trying to rush or threaten you.

Debatra
2015-11-27, 06:18 AM
I wasn't trying to use LC twice. I was just trying to make something out of the upward momentum I would've had from running up the wall. If that doesn't work, then oh well. At least I tried.

Also, Tumble to reduce fall damage. I can't fail the DC15 check to reduce the effective distance fallen by 10' and treat the next 10' as nonlethal.

I alternate between running up the wall and taking ten on Climb checks until I run into something interesting. Or someone.

Didn't think a 22 would make it. Oh well.

planswalker
2015-11-27, 11:39 AM
okay, I understand a bit better now. Still doesn't work, but I understand what you were trying to do a little better. I'd recommend you stick with this run-climb combo you have. You're now ascending at three times the speed of our last climber who won the previous time. The dc for this part is 20. Keep in mind that you're looking at an over 15,000 foot climb. Steady reliability is kinda necessary if you're going to win

as for the tumbling, okay, so let me do a rollv for damage. You mitigate the last of the dice rolls. [roll0]

About ten minutes into your climb (4,000 feet), you come across a halfling using climbing gear to scale the wall. He seems to be progressing much slower than you are.

Debatra
2015-11-27, 02:16 PM
About how far away is he?

planswalker
2015-11-28, 02:28 AM
Based on your spot skill versus his size, about 90 feet

Debatra
2015-11-28, 09:22 AM
I continue upwards until either I reach him or he addresses me. If the former; I stop short ten feet below him, ready a Stunning Fist (or foot, or elbow, or whatever is appropriate) for if he attacks or otherwise tries to impede me, then run up the wall past him, intentionally moving into and out of his reach but not getting in his way.

Readied Attack: [roll0], Fortitude DC 19 vs Stun
[roll1], plus an extra [roll2] if he's Good-aligned.
Free Trip attempt if the attack does at least ten damage.
Trip: [roll3]

planswalker
2015-11-28, 03:37 PM
As you get within 10 feet, the halfling calls out "Why, hello there, fellow climber! Is not today a good day to discover Truth?" he takes no hostile action but neither does he stop climbing.

Debatra
2015-11-28, 05:00 PM
"Yes, I believe it is." I continue to run and climb.

planswalker
2015-11-28, 08:19 PM
He says, "My, you're a fast one, aren't you?" as you speed past.

Debatra
2015-11-29, 12:13 AM
I ignore him and continue.

planswalker
2015-11-29, 12:37 AM
You manage to evade him. Four minutes later, you see a ring of signs along the tower that reads "10,000 feet to go. Beware the residents."

Debatra
2015-11-29, 12:52 AM
I take a moment to look around. If I see nothing, I proceed as I've been.

planswalker
2015-11-29, 12:54 AM
spot check please

Debatra
2015-11-29, 01:00 AM
Sorry. I figured Perception and the like would be kept secret so I wouldn't know if I rolled poorly.

[roll0]

planswalker
2015-11-29, 01:20 AM
I do it for sense motive, but when you're actively looking, that's different than if I'm rolling your spot to see if you notice the goblin sneaking up on you.

As you are looking, you notice a winged form approaching from a distance.

Debatra
2015-11-29, 02:02 AM
My trained Knowledge skills are Arcana (+11), Local (+9) and Religion (+11).

[roll0]

Do I have any idea what it is?

planswalker
2015-11-29, 03:52 AM
You're pretty sure it's (the planes) that applies

Debatra
2015-11-29, 04:38 AM
I continue until it gets to about thirty feel away, then stop, pull out a tanglefoot bag and ready an action to throw if the thing attacks.

Ranged Touch: [roll0] Reflex DC15

planswalker
2015-11-29, 07:20 PM
As the gigantic eagle approaches, you throw the tanglefoot bag at it. Unfortunately, the bird seems rather agile and it manages to avoid becoming entangled. It gives a single swipe your way as it flies by. You easily dodge this first blow.

Debatra
2015-11-30, 12:36 PM
I continue to run, now keeping a Stunning Fist ready for the next time it comes into range.

[roll0], Fort DC19
[roll1], +[roll2] if Good

Knockdown: [roll3]

Debatra
2015-11-30, 12:38 PM
Critical Confirmation:

[roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2015-11-30, 01:14 PM
You strike the creature as it comes around for another pass and stun it. It spirals away in an uncontrolled downward descent.

Debatra
2015-12-01, 12:30 AM
I take the opportunity to run and climb while I can, staying alert for potential threats.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

planswalker
2015-12-01, 12:39 AM
when you reach the 7,500 ft mark, the conspicuous sign says, "danger: 5,000 feet until repairs stop, 7,000 to reach the live zone. 7,500 feet to the top. Climb safely."

Debatra
2015-12-01, 02:53 PM
I continue as I've been until I notice some difference in the Spire.

planswalker
2015-12-01, 03:19 PM
At the 5,000 foot mark, there is a ledge 10' wide. You did not realize the ledge was there until you reached up and realized that your hand was grasping a flat surface. Five other people are waiting there, resting and recovering.

"Welcome to the One Rest." says a being whose upper half is a gorilla and the lower half is an enormous tarantula. It is large.

The other four resters are: A human woman with a masterwork set of climbing tools, an elven man wearing nothing but a simple tunic, a lizardfolk in mithril chain armor, and what you swear is the same halfling you passed earlier.

Debatra
2015-12-03, 03:05 PM
I look them all over, trying not to let my gaze linger on the Halfling. I then sit down for a few moments, trying to gauge the difficulty of the climb above us.

planswalker
2015-12-03, 03:26 PM
The gorilla-spider creature looks at you for a moment as you completely ignore his greeting to instead stare at the other climbers on the ledge. It seems that everyone is taking a moment to either sit or stand and rest. They all seem to be keeping to themselves.

"We are all taking a moment to rest before continuing on so that fatigue doesn't set in. Will you be joining us?" He continues.

Debatra
2015-12-03, 06:11 PM
"Hmm... I think I might." I consider not only the climb above me, but also myself. If I started climbing again now, how far do I think I could go before fatigue might set in?

planswalker
2015-12-03, 11:45 PM
Considering that you're already about two miles up and your particular, unique method of climbing is very physically taxing, you think that you'd likely stat suffering from fatigue within a minute of going on. Now that you've given your muscles a moment to relax, you realize that you're already beginning to feel the effects of your exertions.

The gorilla-spider nods his head and says, "We move in an hour together as one in order to avoid any unfair advantages. Feel free to move before this if you want, but none of us promise to not impede your path if you do. We have made an agreement not to attack each other until the rest is over."

Debatra
2015-12-04, 02:30 AM
I lean on the Spire, letting out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. "Have any of you come across a Goliath man along your way? He was right in front of me back on the ground, but I haven't seen him since."

planswalker
2015-12-04, 02:35 AM
"You're talking about Perry, the man who won last year's climb? He continued on without even pausing for breath. I suspect he'll be falling back down any time now."

Debatra
2015-12-04, 03:27 AM
Knowledge (Local) [roll0] - Have I heard of this guy?

planswalker
2015-12-04, 04:08 AM
In fact, you have. In addition to being last Year's Spire Hawk, Perry has made a name for himself as a detective in the City Watch. He was one of the members of a task force that took out the Jacks, one of the most powerful criminal gangs in the history of Aldhaven. He has a reputation for being a bit of a wild card, often running off on his own leads without consulting with the Watch first. He is a known associate of one Hagan Erbauer, and the two are believed to be good friends. In addition, it is said that he is a very powerful combatant.

Debatra
2015-12-05, 03:05 AM
I look up, not really expecting to see him at that moment, plummeting to his death or otherwise. "Hmm, and about how long ago was that?"

I most likely won't be able to post this Sunday.

planswalker
2015-12-05, 08:19 PM
"He rested here for only a minute or two before continuing on his way. That was only about a minute ago, by my reckoning. I guess he feels that the fatigue won't bother him too badly before he reaches the top. That and he feels cocky enough this year to go toe-to-toe with the dragon at the top. He only won last year because he left me to fight the dragon while he sneaked around and grabbed the trophy."

Debatra
2015-12-06, 01:05 AM
I sit in silence for about ten minutes (unless someone speaks up). I also try to get a Hunch about the Halfling.

planswalker
2015-12-06, 01:24 AM
is "Hunch" some technical in-game term I'm not familiar with or are you just wanting me to give you something more on the halfling because you asked for it?

Ten minutes pass in silence.

Debatra
2015-12-06, 01:38 AM
It's a Sense Motive (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/senseMotive.htm) thing.

It's active, but it's also the kind of thing where false information from a bad roll could potentially come into play.

planswalker
2015-12-06, 09:38 AM
You get the feeling that a conversation with that halfling would be... strange. There's something odd about that one.

Debatra
2015-12-08, 06:54 PM
I stand and stretch for a few moments, then sit back down.

Unless something happens, I do roughly the same thing ten minutes later. And then again at the half-hour mark.

planswalker
2015-12-08, 08:45 PM
Other than a killoren female joining the group about 15 minutes later, nothing changes. As she ascends to the ledge, the spider gorilla greets her in much the same manner he did you except with a revised report on when y'all would be departing to reflect the passage of time. She nods an acceptance of these terms and doesn't speak with anyone else or even make eye contact.

Debatra
2015-12-09, 12:19 AM
About how big around is the Spire?

planswalker
2015-12-10, 12:40 AM
it's a good 200 feet across

Debatra
2015-12-10, 05:59 AM
Across? So that would mean... a little under 630' around, right?

planswalker
2015-12-10, 04:48 PM
yep, about. The 200' is an estimate to 1 significant figure, but yes, it's likely to be 600 feet or more in circumference.

Debatra
2015-12-11, 03:57 PM
After the half-hour stretch, I walk a lap around the Spire.

planswalker
2015-12-11, 04:49 PM
Your lap around goes undisturbed, provided you stick to the outer half of the ledge. The six other climbers are hugging the inner half of the ledge where they are and would likely take exception to being run over.

The face of the tower seems rather worn and rough all over. There is a mild breeze this high up with a moderate chill to it in the rarefied air.

Debatra
2015-12-12, 07:35 AM
I give the others the space they require, and proceed with a second lap. Or I appear to. Soon after the others are out of sight, I start the climb again as I was before.

I also use Leaping Climber if able. [roll0]

planswalker
2015-12-12, 07:16 PM
by my understandings, you're saving yourself ~ 10 minutes doing this, yes?

It doesn't appear that anyone notices your departure immediately.

Debatra
2015-12-13, 08:41 AM
I did the lap at the half-hour mark. It should only take a little over a minute for the full lap, and a lot less for the partial to get out of sight.

planswalker
2015-12-13, 05:49 PM
... yes, yes you're right. My math was off.

still, no one notices your departure immediately.

Debatra
2015-12-14, 08:56 AM
I continue as I've been until I notice some difference in the wall. I also occasionally look up, down and around for anything moving.

Listen: [roll1]

planswalker
2015-12-14, 05:40 PM
Six minutes and another 2,500 feet into your climb, the side of the tower begins to show signs of disrepair. A hundred or so feet above you, you see the goliath who had started the climb just before you clinging to the rock face as he kicks at a spider that is climbing along the side of the tower.

Debatra
2015-12-16, 09:41 AM
I experimentally grab one of the bricks above me, giving it a few sharp tugs.

Trying to gauge how much longer I can safely take ten (for 22).

Also, does it look like I can avoid the disrepair for some time without going out of my way?

planswalker
2015-12-16, 10:21 PM
[roll0]

It appears that the particular brick you've grabbed is still secure, but there will definitely be more treacherous footholds from here on out. You find that you'll likely have to start planning out your bursts of wall-running more carefully or risk ending a round in a spot with bad footing.

you'll need to plan out your runs a little more carefully or you'll have a chance of landing in a spot that'll have a dc 25 climb check to keep your grip on. (or more).

also, in celebration of my birthday, have 100 xp!

Debatra
2015-12-18, 11:32 AM
Happy Birthday!

I look slightly ahead, and off to the sides, now running only to places I'm sure I can hold on and barely moving between bursts of running.

And for whatever it might be worth, taking ten on an untrained Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) check.

planswalker
2015-12-18, 06:37 PM
um... make search and/or spot checks to try and figure out where on the path ahead would make for good spots to end your run.

Debatra
2015-12-19, 12:06 AM

planswalker
2015-12-19, 02:14 AM
You make it 25 feet up, but the spot you picked to end the jaunt turns out to be loose and you slide down another 5 feet before you make progress.

The Goliath is now 80 feet up, and it seems he and that spider and currently jabbing back and forth without daring to quite get close enough to each other to be in reach.

Debatra
2015-12-20, 12:29 PM
I take ten (19) on the next Spot check.

planswalker
2015-12-20, 09:12 PM
You manage to make feet of progress that round, and can count on making similar kinds of progress each following round that you take 10 on climb and spot checks at this venture.

The goliath delivers a solid kick to the spider and its body is crushed as little bits of detrius drop below and to your left. He climbs 10 feet higher up carefully and is now a net of 70 feet above you.

use [roll]2d4x5 to determine how much progress you make each round.

Debatra
2015-12-21, 03:52 AM
I continue as I've been, until I'm about ten feet away from him. (unless of course something happens)

[roll0]

[roll1]

planswalker
2015-12-21, 12:54 PM
Upon seeing you below him, the goliath calls out, "Well, looks like we're in a good, old-fashioned foot race!" as he himself carefully makes his way forward 20 feet per round. Judging from his movements, you're guessing that he'd be able to go at nearly twice that speed if he weren't have to carefully pick his handholds just like you were.

After two rounds, you've closed the gap to 60 feet.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Another minute in, and you have been racing him back and forth, sometimes getting as close as 30 feet to him, at one point you had a couple of bad rounds and fell up to 55 feet behind.

That next minute ends with you 35 feet behind him.

planswalker
2015-12-21, 01:00 PM
The race continues...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Another 5 rounds in, you finally catch up to within 5 feet of the goliath.[roll5][roll6][roll7][roll8][roll9]

Debatra
2015-12-21, 04:34 PM
I ready a Stunning Fist if he attacks or otherwise tries to impede me, or if I manage to get above him. I then attempt to move only ten feet up to gain the high ground for the attack.

[roll0] (and an extra +1 if I get above him)
[roll1], plus an extra [roll2] if he's Good-aligned.
Fort DC19 vs Stun, and I get a free Trip attempt if I deal at least 10 damage

[roll3]

Uh, he's not wearing any armor so he's not weighted down, right? :smallwink:

planswalker
2016-01-11, 10:00 PM
He makes no move to attack you as you climb past, having devoted himself to keeping his own grip. However, your own strike misses. He is not wearing any armor that you recognize as such, but he is wearing thick clothing that could hide a decent amount of bulk without being obvious.

On his turn, he says, "Oh, you want to play that game? Fine with me."

He then proceeds to climb 10 feet ahead and position himself right above you, moving with enough agility to avoid leaving himself open. He then sends a single solid stomp downward at your head.

You manage to duck the shot by the barest of margins.

Debatra
2016-01-12, 09:39 AM
Instead of another strike, I attempt to reach up and pull him off the wall.

Improved Trip, so no AoO.
Touch Attack: [roll0]
Trip: [roll1]

If successful, I get a free attack.
[roll2]
[roll3], +[roll4] if he's Good

If I trip him, he'll most likely provoke an AoO by falling out of my threatened area.
[roll5]
[roll6], +[roll7] if he's Good

Waiting on results of Trip before completing my turn.

planswalker
2016-01-12, 12:18 PM
Unfortunately, it seems your grip on the rock face is a bit off which throws off your center of gravity and you in fact don't manage to trip him.

Debatra
2016-01-12, 01:10 PM
I try to find a good handhold at least ten feet away from (and preferably but not necessarily above) him, then run to it.

Tumble to avoid AoO: [roll1]
Taking ten on Climb for 22.

planswalker
2016-01-12, 01:29 PM
You manage to find a spot 10 feet to the side that will hold you and get away without leaving yourself open, at which point the goliath says, "In that case..." and proceeds to continue climbing upward, making the gap between you two out to another 25 feet.

Debatra
2016-01-12, 02:07 PM
1) Taking ten for 19 to examine the space right below him.

2) Can I use my Wall Running to make a charge?

planswalker
2016-01-13, 03:16 AM
you think the spade is safe, but you're not 100% sure...

Um, I'm gonna say that your wall running can be used in a charge, provided you're running in a straight line. However, you'll have to make the climb check before resolving the attack roll.

Debatra
2016-01-13, 09:57 AM
I continue more or less straight up as I've been, taking ten on Spot and Climb checks. I also take ten on Spot checks for spaces surrounding the Goliath at the ends of his turn only if I'm able to do so without sacrificing my own footing.

planswalker
2016-01-13, 10:43 AM
You begin the next leg of your race with the goliath with 25 feet separating the two of you...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Another 5 rounds of climbing has you pulling right alongside him, once more within reach for an attack if you so desire.590

Debatra
2016-01-16, 01:05 PM
I continue as I've been, more or less straight up (unless of course something happens). I also try to take note of roughly how fast the Goliath is going.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

planswalker
2016-01-17, 06:24 AM
The goliath's natural climbing ability has him going along steadily at 20 feet per round as he carefully picks each handhold and foothold before placing his weight on it.

Unfortunately, the next few rounds have you falling a total of 30 feet behind his steady pace as he climbs on but you reach a patch where it's difficult to make out the next safe spot until you're nearly upon them.660

Debatra
2016-01-18, 03:45 PM
Rolling the next Spot check instead of taking ten. [roll0]

planswalker
2016-01-19, 08:38 AM
You spot a great set of footholds and handholds that enable you to go your full 40 feet of movement this turn, racing you 10 feet past the goliath. On his turn, he climbs another 20 feet higher, placing him once more 10 feet ahead of you.

"That looks like an awfully dangerous way to climb." he comments as he climbs past once more. 700

Debatra
2016-01-25, 07:24 AM
While tempted to attempt another strike; I remain silent, focusing on the Spire. 'I'm not letting him distract me anymore.'

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

planswalker
2016-01-25, 12:06 PM
You pull ahead in a great burst of speed, and even with a few slowdowns, you end up 30 feet ahead of him as you continue the race.830

at this point, unless you plan on changing things up, feel free to give me about 45 rolls or so to reach the next "action point"

Debatra
2016-01-25, 03:36 PM
Unless the Goliath decides he wants to get even for my earlier attempt at attacking or what-have-you, I proceed up the Spire.

45 rolls? Okay then...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]
[roll28]
[roll29]
[roll30]
[roll31]
[roll32]
[roll33]
[roll34]
[roll35]
[roll36]
[roll37]
[roll38]
[roll39]
[roll40]
[roll41]
[roll42]
[roll43]
[roll44]

EDIT: And I belatedly realize I probably could've shortened it by having something like five sets of 2d4x45, or one set of 2d4x225.

Looks like 1140 feet over the next four minutes and thirty seconds.

planswalker
2016-01-25, 03:50 PM
Your pace leaves the goliath's more methodical routine steadily behind. He's about 250 feet behind you when you reach the top of the spire and the walls begin to gradually slant inward towards a point about 500 feet up. 1975

Debatra
2016-01-25, 04:23 PM
I continue towards that point.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

planswalker
2016-01-25, 07:27 PM
After the first round, when you reach exactly 2,000 feet up from the rest ledge, you spot a pair of blue wings in the sky come rushing out of the clouds towards you. The dragon they come attached to looks to be young. It gives a shriek of glee at seeing you, a tasty-looking morsel, and begins to fly towards you, electricity crackling in its jaws. You predict that it will arrive at your location round after next.

Debatra
2016-01-28, 11:06 PM
[roll0]

I continue climbing for one of those rounds, then ready a Stunning Fist.

[roll1]
[roll2], +[roll3] if Good (not sure if "Always X Alignment" applies in Aldhaven)
Fort 19

Knock-Down - [roll4]

Debatra
2016-01-28, 11:08 PM
Crit Confirmation

[roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2016-01-29, 02:16 AM
It lashes out at you with a line of lightning before landing with a crunch right in front of you, where you promptly deliver a stunning critical fist. Like a boss.475

You take [roll0] electricity from the breath weapon.

yes, that's right, magic works again. That's what that sign a while back meant: for the last 500 feet, magic works.

Debatra
2016-01-29, 02:34 AM
[roll0]

I just had to trade in Evasion, didn't I? :smallwink:

Also, what do you mean by "it lands"? Aren't I still climbing a wall?

planswalker
2016-01-29, 03:05 AM
yes, it landed on the slanted wall.

No, typical blue dragons can't. This one can.

well, you got scorched by the full blast of lighting, but you did stun the thing, so it's entirely possible for you to just avoid it for now.

also, since this is now a combat thing, you can now consider yourself "threatened" and unable to take 10.

Debatra
2016-01-29, 11:36 AM
Knowledge (Arcana) to try and determine how strong it might be (and anything else I might get from it) : [roll0]

EDIT: Also, how much of a slant are we on?

planswalker
2016-01-30, 01:32 AM
with 90 degrees, being straight vertical, it's about a 75 degree slant.

and, while knowledge (arcana) can tell you lore about blue dragons and what their general level of power typically is, it's actually a sense motive check. to diagnose an individual's cr relative to your own.

You know that Blue Dragons are neither the weakest nor the strongest of the chromatic dragons, falling somewhere in the middle. Even young dragons of this species are known to be able to hunt basically any animal that's of an appropriate size to be a meal. This one appears to be young for its species.

Debatra
2016-01-30, 04:38 PM
I know that. I got exactly what I was looking for.

I lash out with a TWF Flury of Blows.

[roll0]
[roll1], [roll2] if Good

KD - [roll3]
---
[roll4]
[roll5], [roll6] if Good

KD - [roll7]
---
[roll8]
[roll9], [roll10] if Good

KD - [roll11]

planswalker
2016-01-30, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately, none of your blows penetrate its thick scales, and you do not harm the creature.

It in turn retaliates with a rain of blows from its jaws, claws, and wings. While you manage to dodge the majority of the attacks, it catches you in the arm with its jaws and one of the wings strikes you in the chest.

you take [roll0] and [roll1] damage.

Debatra
2016-01-31, 02:50 PM
Unless I misjudged what you said before, my crit confirmed (meaning its AC is no higher than 20) and then it was stunned (which gives a -2 to AC in addition to losing Dex to AC) for my turn this round?

planswalker
2016-01-31, 04:51 PM
I apologize. I had just responded to the latest post in your thread and had forgotten that you had stunned it as a readied action on its turn last round. You are correct, it should have 18 ac this round and be stunned so it's not doing anything to you this round.

Ignore the above post and treat this as what happens this round:

You strike at the creature with a flurry of blows, landing two solid hits while its defenses are down from the stunning blow you delivered to it.

For its turn, it recovers from your stunning barrage.

Debatra
2016-01-31, 05:35 PM
It's alright. These things happen.

...Although, now I'm going to err on the side of caution and ask if you've said nothing about my trip attempts (instead of some variation of 'it failed') because they've done nothing or because something else was missed or misunderstood.

planswalker
2016-01-31, 06:28 PM
I didn't know what your "KD" stood for, took a guess that it was Knowledge Devotion, and went with that.

If "KD" stands for "I'm making a free trip attempt with each attack", you'll need to clearly and explicitly outline this to me ahead of time each time we start combat. You're one of 4-5 character threads I'm running in AVB and I do apologize, but I do my best to keep up with the PLOTS of each thread. The details of what your character's feats and class features are I trust you to keep track of. Please feel free to remind me of what you can do if you ever think I've overlooked something. I won't take offense.

Rolled for them and it didn't didn't work out this time.

Unfortunately, this dragon's quadrupedal nature combined with its humanoid size and draconic strength does not make it easy to trip. Neither of your trip attempts succeed.

Debatra
2016-01-31, 08:35 PM
Yeah, it figures this would happen the one combat I don't spell it out. Well; every time I deal at least ten damage in a single melee attack, the Knock-Down feat gives me a free Trip attempt against that target. Didn't expect this particular one to be easy, but I also rolled pretty well for it. *shrug*

Hmm... I've just noticed an oddity in the rules that's probably going to be relevant here. I'm going to post it in the DM Discussion thread when the post timer runs out.

Also, if it looks like my AC just went up, that's because it did. I forgot to re-add the +1 from my Headband of Intellect when I was putting back the magic effects.

planswalker
2016-01-31, 08:47 PM
yeah, sorry about that. Unfortunately, it's just part and parcel to me taking on 4 pc's who have 4 semi-independent plotlines running at once.

I await your question in the DM discussion thread.

Debatra
2016-02-02, 04:37 PM
I attempt a Stunning Fist. If the Dragon is either stunned or tripped, I wall-run around it, stopping when I'm exactly ten feet above and taking ten on the Climb check. If not, I attack again.

[roll0]
[roll1], +[roll2] if the Dragon is Good-aligned
DC19 Fort vs Stun

If attack does at least 10 damage, free Trip attempt: [roll3]

Second attack if not stunned or tripped
[roll4]
[roll5], +[roll6] if the Dragon is Good-aligned

If attack does at least 10 damage, free Trip attempt: [roll7]

Debatra
2016-02-02, 04:38 PM
Two stun attempts, two crits to confirm!

[roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2016-02-02, 05:13 PM
Your first strike hits solidly, but it resists the stun this time. Your second attempt to stun it fails to penetrate its hide.

On its turn, the dragon retaliates with a rain of blows of its own. It catches you with its jaws and both claws, though it strikes with its wings glance off you harmlessly.

You take [roll0], [roll1], and [roll2] damage.

"This is my territory! Get back!" the dragon screams at you in Common.

Debatra
2016-02-02, 08:58 PM
And she's dead (or maybe unconscious and falling very, very far). Well, at least I had fun with her. :smallbiggrin:

If it's all the same to you, I'm going to roll stats for a new character right here. I might even try for a "phenomenal" Gnome-justifying backstory (assuming Rizban wasn't being sarcastic when he said that).

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

first five non-ones

planswalker
2016-02-02, 09:16 PM
Yeah, sorry about that, the players are supposed to let one of the other climbers fight the dragon while they scuttle around on the other side or otherwise find a way to avoid the fight, not do the climbing equivalent of "I run up and punch it in the face!"

Still, you did remarkably well in that fight.

Riz isn't being sarcastic about gnomes. Part of the issue with playing gnomes is that the local den of kobolds consider gnomes a delicacy and kill them on sight to eat them. The only district they don't dare try that in is the Nobles' Quarter. That's why almost every gnome who visits Aldhaven is a visiting dignitary who stays there. It's also part of the reason why relations between the gnomish kingdom and Aldhaven are so strained.

All this may or may not be related to the million gold bounty on the gnomish ambassador's head.

Debatra
2016-02-02, 09:20 PM
I meant sarcastic about being able to play one if your background is good enough, not the general ban.

planswalker
2016-02-02, 09:21 PM
And I meant that he's not sarcastic about that bit.