PDA

View Full Version : Gnomy Mcbludgeon (battle sorcerer build)

InaVegt
2007-06-03, 10:15 AM
Disclaimer: This built isn't meant to be the most effective battle sorcerer build, merely a build very effective at melee fighting.

I was looking through my books lately (specifically, UA and RotD) and saw some things giving me a hunch an arcane fullcaster as a capable melee combatant should be very possible.

gnome battle sorcerer 20

Feats
Battle caster
Arcane strike
Two weapon fighting
Improved two weapon fighting
Greater two weapon fighting
Two weapon defense
Improved toughness

Abilities 28 point buy
Str: 14 (20 with magic items)
Dex: 12 (16 with magic items)
Con: 16 (22 with magic items)
Int: 8
Wis: 8
Cha: 20 (30 with magic items [including tome])

Weapons
+1 flaming burst shocking burst cold brilliant energy light mace
+1 flaming burst shocking burst cold brilliant energy warhammer

HP: 233 (average, rounded down)

Important spells known
Greater mighty wallop
Great magic weapon

Strategy
At the start of the day Gnomy mcbludgeon casts greater magic weapon and greater mighty wallop at both of his weapons (spending 4 of his 3rd level spell slots), as well as activating all his weapons magical properties, this creates a grand total of 7d6+10 damage on a normal hit for his light mace and 9d6+10 damage on a normal hit for his warhammer. After this he uses a spell slot to improve his damage and to hit he has an average attack bonus of +25 (assuming 7th level spell slot spent) and deals 7d4 additional damage on each attack.

Against a creature with AC 35 (excluding armor bonus) we deal an average damage of 180.945/turn (including criticals), higher level spell slots spent increase the amount of damage dealt while lower level slots decrease that amount.

Stagger Lee
2007-06-03, 10:48 AM
Few things I've noticed here. Gnomes are small creatures, and Monkey Grip isn't worth it. Small light maces do 1d4 damage. Likewise, a small warhammer does 1d6. Maybe Greater Might Wallop changes that. I've never seen the spell.
Secondly, why are you using a gnome? A melee based character would do well to have 2 more in strength over 2 less in constitution.

InaVegt
2007-06-03, 12:40 PM
Few things I've noticed here. Gnomes are small creatures, and Monkey Grip isn't worth it. Small light maces do 1d4 damage. Likewise, a small warhammer does 1d6. Maybe Greater Might Wallop changes that. I've never seen the spell.
Secondly, why are you using a gnome? A melee based character would do well to have 2 more in strength over 2 less in constitution.

It doesn't use monkey grip, greater mighty wallop changes these weapons to collosal for damage purposes (at CL 20), I'm using a gnome because the build is most effective for small sized creatures as collosal is the limit. (you deal 1 less damage than a medium sized creature in exchange for a con boost)

Droodle
2007-06-03, 04:31 PM
Personally, I think your wasting a feat on Battle Caster. As a Battle Sorcerer you already have the ability to cast in light armor and you don't have proficiency with medium or heavy armor at all, so it's going to take you two feats to get any benefit from Battle Caster. A mithril medium breastplate already won't require you to blow a feat to use or cast in it. Beyond that, your dex isn't even high enough to take the two weapon fighting tree.....even with your magical enhancements. Two weapon fighting requires a dex of 15 (which means you won't be able to do it until you can afford a dex enhancing item), improved TWF requires a dex of 17, and greater TWF needs a dex of 19. Put simply, this is going to have to be a dex build. Move some points over to dexterity from other stats and take weapon finesse instead of Battle Caster. You should also dump improved toughness (because it doesn't really help you and you'll have to blow a feat on toughness to get it) and you probably shouldn't waste your time with two weapon defense either (instead, you should rely on buffs to make yourself harder to hit). Beyond that, you should really consider taking 4 or 5 levels of Abjurant champion whenever you can get it. Not only will it improve your buffs, but it will also give you full BAB progression.

Gnome King
2007-06-03, 04:36 PM

Whatchoo got against gnomes?

Skyserpent
2007-06-03, 11:16 PM
Whatchoo got against gnomes?

heheh... Gnome King is a Halfling in the Playground...

It'll be funny when he's an Ogre...

Dhavaer
2007-06-03, 11:25 PM
Arcane Strike would work better with a double weapon, as it only affects one weapon with each use.

Droodle
2007-06-04, 05:24 AM
Arcane Strike would work better with a double weapon, as it only affects one weapon with each use.In this case, he gets an outstanding double weapon for free. He can just use a hooked hammer and be done with it.