PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted 3rd] BATTLEFORGED ASCENSION homebrew Shaping Ritual P.E.A.C.H.

ArchangelAzrael
2015-11-22, 07:59 AM
Hello playground! I am in the process of making my first Exalted character in the 3rd edition and I decided to homebrew some areas of the character (such as artifacts and Shaping Ritual). I did a small internet search to see what was out there (and I shamelessly borrowed heavily from one (enlightenment of the Imperfect lotus)) but none was close to what I envisioned from my char, so I combined many ideas and made a new one myself. Please critic and find any problems/solutions. Would you allow it in one of your games?

BATTLEFORGED ASCENSION

Life is a continuous battle, existence is a continuous battle. Furthermore it doesn’t matter if you won or lost; what matters is that you fought, learned and survived. This is the first truth one has to comprehend upon which his eyes open to new horizons and his initiation to sorcery can begin. Yours is a sorcery rooted on the enlightenment of the Dao of battle.

Shaping Rituals

The most challenging enemy is always oneself. The sorcerer knows that he would rather conquer his self that win a thousand battles. Once per day the Sorcerer may enter a deep brief meditation lasting 15 minutes. During this meditation he enters an imaginary battle with himself. The outcome isn’t important but the enlightenment gained is. He may roll (Wits + Occult) and gain one sorcerous mote per success. These motes last until the next time she sleeps, and can be spent towards any spell she casts. If the sorcerer spends only sorcerous motes granted by the meditation casting her control spell, each counts as two motes towards meeting the spell’s cost.

The sorcerer finds hidden meaning and a chance to improve himself in any battle as he struggles to bring success against all odds. Whenever the sorcerer strikes with a withering attack he may opt to covert the initiative he would have gained into half as many (round up) sorcerous motes instead. Sorcerous motes gained through this ritual fade at the battle’s end (when the combatants leave Initiative).

All Battleforged sorcerers know that when facing death it’s the moment they most feel alive. The pure instinct to survive, the adrenaline from evading a death blow, the surge of essence as they try to endure a strike, they all become a source of power for them. Whenever the sorcerer successfully dodge, block or completely soaks an attack from a non-trivial opponent he gains 1 sorcerous mote .If the sorcerer spends only sorcerous motes granted by avoiding or successfully absorbing an attack, casting her control spell, each counts as two motes towards meeting the spell’s cost. Sorcerous motes gained through this ritual fade at the battle’s end (when the combatants leave Initiative).

Other Benefits

Tame Ones Fears (Merit ••••): The sorcerer has learned to battle his fears and instead of numbing his thoughts and action it helps his fuel them. Rather that becoming immune to fear instill actions the sorcerer overcomes them despite being frighten. If an opponent has succeeded in a fear instill action, roll (Wits + Integrity) against a difficulty set by the opponents essence. If you succeed it counts as if you had spent willpower to negate the effect. Furthermore you gain the opponents success on the attempt as sorcerous motes or essence motes your choice.

Loyal Armament Endowment (Merit •••••): The sorcerer has fought many battles together with his loyal artifacts overcoming the boundaries of the self and becoming one with them. Whenever he wants to activate an evocation of an artifact he owns and has used for at least a story he may pay part or the whole essence cost with sorcerous motes instead.

Sith_Happens
2015-11-25, 03:08 PM
I like it, my only problems are with Tame One's Fears. It just seems kind of kludgy and possibly a bit imbalanced, I'll have to get back to you on how to fix or improve it though.

ArchangelAzrael
2015-11-26, 03:52 AM
I like it, my only problems are with Tame One's Fears. It just seems kind of kludgy and possibly a bit imbalanced, I'll have to get back to you on how to fix or improve it though.

Thanks you for taking time to take a look into this.

Tame One's Fears basically was my way of not having the character run out of combat (since he wants to be in combat to have the rituals work). I mean you would not see a bloodknight or a peaceful warrior archetype character run from a fight due to fear. So I didn't want to have a blanket immunity to fear, but rather the ability to overcome it.