PDA

View Full Version : Player Help a bardlock questiom

spartan_ah
2015-11-22, 11:36 AM
I am a 3/2 lore bardlock... on my way to 4/2.
my DM allowed me to change my cantrips as a warlock from SCAG. so I'm still gonna stick to Eldritch blast but I can pick 1 cantrip from SCAG.
my question is booming blade or green flame blade?
I want a melee cantrip more for a panic "special occasions". I have no plan to stick to melee as I'm more of a blast spammer and battlefield control and buffing debuffing.
GFB will give me an attack on 2 enemies and booming blade is with enemy lockdown.
what are your thoughts?
I have a fochlucan bandore, so I have a charisma shillelagh. but my AC is 15 for the time.

MightyDog16
2015-11-22, 02:22 PM
I am a 3/2 lore bardlock... on my way to 4/2.
my DM allowed me to change my cantrips as a warlock from SCAG. so I'm still gonna stick to Eldritch blast but I can pick 1 cantrip from SCAG.
my question is booming blade or green flame blade?
I want a melee cantrip more for a panic "special occasions". I have no plan to stick to melee as I'm more of a blast spammer and battlefield control and buffing debuffing.
GFB will give me an attack on 2 enemies and booming blade is with enemy lockdown.
what are your thoughts?
I have a fochlucan bandore, so I have a charisma shillelagh. but my AC is 15 for the time.

From the description of your character, I'd say Booming Blade fits better. It plays along well with the "battlefield control" that you mentioned whereas GFB is more straight damage. Mechanically it makes sense, too- with 15ac you're probably not going to want to stand in melee for too long so being able to hit something and give them a good reason not to move, or at least not move back to you, is pretty cool.

Tanarii
2015-11-22, 02:33 PM
The problem with booming blade is it's really a tank cantrip, not a defensive cantrip. If you hit a target with it then try to move away, you're going to get hit by an OA, especially with a 15 AC. If you use it then don't move, the enemy just has even more incentive to attack you as opposed to someone else.

What you really want is shocking grasp. Unfortunately not a Warlock cantrip though.

spartan_ah
2015-11-22, 03:16 PM
I can always hit and run, that's what I usually do.
with cutting words i can evade OAs.
the melee spell is more of a panic button, a way to hit when I'm surrounded or need a way out.
on the paper GFB looks better, it's an immediate damage with a cover for 2 foes, on the other hand fire damage is pretty common while thunder damage is less likely to be resistant.
and booming blade doesn't require 2 adjacent foes. and also, as ultimate panic button I always have fey presence.

Daehron
2015-11-24, 11:09 AM
Thing is, for the stated purposes you are describing, none of the SCAG cantrips beats Shocking Grasp.

If you hit with it, they loose their reaction and you can move away w/o the attack of opportunity.

techsamurai5000
2015-11-24, 11:13 AM
Thing is, for the stated purposes you are describing, none of the SCAG cantrips beats Shocking Grasp.

If you hit with it, they loose their reaction and you can move away w/o the attack of opportunity.

And you get advantage on your attack roll if they're wearing metal armor.

spartan_ah
2015-11-24, 12:38 PM
but ut's not a warlock cantrip :smallannoyed: