PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Combat Prone

SangoProduction
2015-11-22, 03:38 PM
From what I understand, you get a bonus to AC vs ranged, and a penalty vs melee while prone. You also can't (normally) get up, move, and attack in one round - so if you get charged, you're kinda boned if you were prone. I think there's a skill trick which gets you to do it as a swift action.

But, is there any penalty to attack while prone? (Doesn't really make sense to have one, but this is D&D...if we exclude bows from this argument.)

So, assuming there was no threat of melee getting to you, then should you just get prone to make it so the ranged guys have a harder time hitting you?

stanprollyright
2015-11-22, 03:42 PM
I was always under the impression that prone crossbow sniping was an effective tactic, but I could be wrong. Your DM could pull out the "high ground" rules since you're technically below everyone else.

SangoProduction
2015-11-22, 04:02 PM
I was always under the impression that prone crossbow sniping was an effective tactic, but I could be wrong. Your DM could pull out the "high ground" rules since you're technically below everyone else.

lol. That'd be a really odd ruling.

Diarmuid
2015-11-22, 05:11 PM
There are penalties for attacking while prone and restrictions on making ranged attacks......and they're clearly stated in the SRD.

Prone

The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.

Standing up is a move-equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-22, 05:32 PM
This will work as you described if there's open terrain. Most of the time you'll have rocks, bushes, and whatnot which will provide cover in various directions, limiting your target choices to enemies who don't have cover from you.

SangoProduction
2015-11-22, 06:44 PM
There are penalties for attacking while prone and restrictions on making ranged attacks......and they're clearly stated in the SRD.

Thanks for that quote. Spells and powers don't count, right?

This will work as you described if there's open terrain. Most of the time you'll have rocks, bushes, and whatnot which will provide cover in various directions, limiting your target choices to enemies who don't have cover from you.

Oddly enough, most DMs I've seen never thinks it important to mention bushes and rocks. But I'll remember to ask if there are bushes to hide behind next session.

torrasque666
2015-11-22, 08:06 PM
Hmmm.... is it ever mentioned that you can't move while prone?

SangoProduction
2015-11-22, 08:12 PM

I made an assumption based on what I remembered. But it kinda made sense that you couldn't move (at least as fast) if you were prone. Especially if that prone-ness was inflicted by some knock-down maneuver.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-22, 08:16 PM
Actually, no; you can move while prone.
Crawling
You can crawl 5 feet as a move action. Crawling incurs attacks of opportunity from any attackers who threaten you at any point of your crawl.

PallentisLunam
2015-11-22, 08:18 PM
I seem to remember that you can move 5 ft. as a..... standard action(?) while prone. But I can't find it.

Edit: Ninja'd with the actual information too

SangoProduction
2015-11-22, 08:23 PM
Actually, no; you can move while prone.

Thanks again for the quote.

Is there a like partial-prone, like "crouched"?

Psyren
2015-11-22, 08:25 PM
Thanks again for the quote.

You could probably fluff fighting defensively that way.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-22, 08:26 PM
The rules list kneeling and sitting, as you can see on the table here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#tableArmorClassModifiers). There's no movement listed for sitting or kneeling, though.

SangoProduction
2015-11-22, 08:40 PM
The rules list kneeling and sitting, as you can see on the table here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#tableArmorClassModifiers). There's no movement listed for sitting or kneeling, though.

That's really nice.

stanprollyright
2015-11-23, 08:28 AM

How exactly would you be moving while kneeling or sitting?

TIPOT
2015-11-23, 08:31 AM

Some sort of magic chair with wheels? We could call it a wheelchair. :smalltongue:

SangoProduction
2015-11-23, 08:32 AM

Kneeling/sitting is just an analogue for "you aren't standing up tall, but aren't lying prone either." It's rather common for soldiers to move while crouched to keep the amount of area they expose to fire to a minimum.

ericgrau
2015-11-23, 08:34 AM
Crouch walking I suppose. Though if you're kneeling with one leg on the ground that's not really crouching. You would have to get up first. So you either spend a move action to stand, then start walking, or a free action to drop prone, then start crawling.

I don't think it's in the SRD but d20 star wars or saga or some such says that standing up from kneeling is a move action that doesn't provoke. Similar to standing up from prone, except that does provoke. Even if that's not RAW, if you can't find any other rule in 3.5 then it sounds good to me to play with this one.

SangoProduction
2015-11-23, 08:38 AM
Crouch walking I suppose. Though if you're kneeling with one leg on the ground that's not really crouching. You would have to get up first. So you either spend a move action to stand, then start walking, or a free action to drop prone, then start crawling.

I don't think it's in the SRD but d20 star wars or saga or some such says that standing up from kneeling is a move action that doesn't provoke. Similar to standing up from prone, except that does provoke. Even if that's not RAW, if you can't find any other rule in 3.5 then it sounds good to me to play with this one.

It doesn't take much effort to stand or crouch from a kneeling position. Why would it take as much effort as walking 30 feet?

If you want to add an action to standing from a crouched position, make it a swift action.

ericgrau
2015-11-23, 09:03 AM
Just going by the Star Wars rules since that's all I found way back when.

It still takes a couple seconds, maybe 1 if you're quite quick. If anything you might make it consume X feet of movement if a move action seemed like too much. A couple seconds is pretty close to a move action though. I suppose the third second is spent moving carefully enough to watch your enemy and not get stabbed in the meantime. And there is an acrobatic feat or skill trick or something to make it a swift.

Moving 30 feet in 3 seconds is about a 7 mph jog btw, almost running.

stanprollyright
2015-11-23, 09:08 AM
Kneeling/sitting is just an analogue for "you aren't standing up tall, but aren't lying prone either." It's rather common for soldiers to move while crouched to keep the amount of area they expose to fire to a minimum.

That's not kneeling or sitting, that's crouching. That would just be a regular move.

Crake
2015-11-23, 09:09 AM
It doesn't take much effort to stand or crouch from a kneeling position. Why would it take as much effort as walking 30 feet?

If you want to add an action to standing from a crouched position, make it a swift action.

Considering runners begin their sprints crouched, i would say that moving from a crouched position would not be an action at all, and that going back to a crouched position, just like dropping prone, would be a free action.

ericgrau
2015-11-23, 09:14 AM
Considering runners begin their sprints crouched, i would say that moving from a crouched position would not be an action at all, and that going back to a crouched position, just like dropping prone, would be a free action.
That's crouching not kneeling.

It's seeming more and more that crouching is not significantly different from standing and that's probably why there are no rules for it.

That's not kneeling or sitting, that's crouching. That would just be a regular move.
Yeah, this.

SangoProduction
2015-11-23, 09:20 AM

Moving no more than your movement speed in a round is defined as walking in D&D. But yes, it is quite fast, for the span of time you walk within that round. All the more reason why standing shouldn't take an equivalent amount of time as that.

stanprollyright
2015-11-23, 09:29 AM

I always considered a move action to be somewhat simultaneous with your other actions (since you can do other things while walking), and would therefore actually represent more like 5 seconds of movement. Considering a charge (where you're definitely running) or a full-out sprint are twice or 4 times your move speed in 6 seconds, this makes sense to me. It doesn't take 3 seconds to swing a sword, but it's more or less assumed that you did more than just make a single swing.

Psyren
2015-11-23, 10:02 AM
The time for a move action (and a standard for that matter) is pretty abstracted - all we can say for sure is that it takes less than 6 seconds. We can't definitively conclude that that means 3, 4, or 5.

Platymus Pus
2015-11-23, 10:18 AM
I always considered a move action to be somewhat simultaneous with your other actions (since you can do other things while walking), and would therefore actually represent more like 5 seconds of movement. Considering a charge (where you're definitely running) or a full-out sprint are twice or 4 times your move speed in 6 seconds, this makes sense to me. It doesn't take 3 seconds to swing a sword, but it's more or less assumed that you did more than just make a single swing.

It may be a single roll but it's more than one swing, it's just what connects.

SangoProduction
2015-11-23, 10:19 AM
It may be a single roll but it's more than one swing, it's just what connects.

Unless you miss.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-23, 08:16 PM
It takes a move action because that's the D&D default for movement. Skip Williams states that you avoid the "stand from prone" AoO when you instead "stand from kneeling"; so that's a significant benefit. Of course, that's in a "Rules of the Game" article (see here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040618a)), wherein there's often a mix of official rules and Skip's house rules. However, in this case I think Skip's on the side of the actual rules. You're not standing from prone, and you're not leaving a threatened square; consequently, you're not doing anything which provokes an attack of opportunity.