PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Details about the dragon's secret game?

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-11-22, 09:09 PM
Hello again,

I remember something about a secret game of one-up-manship played by dragons. But now I cannot find any of the details. Does anyone remember where I can find it?

Thanks in Advance!

Tvtyrant
2015-11-22, 09:16 PM
Hello again,

I remember something about a secret game of one-up-manship played by dragons. But now I cannot find any of the details. Does anyone remember where I can find it?

Thanks in Advance!

Monster Manual V, the game between Dragons.

Draconium
2015-11-22, 10:48 PM
I actually just looked this up. It's called Xorvintaal, and it acts mechanically as a template that trades things such as a dragon's spellcasting and SR for certain new abilities and control over their "pawns." In other news, I need to introduce this into one of my games...

Maxrim
2015-11-22, 11:13 PM
I've actually worked out a draft of the rules, and intend to start up a campaign with it, 3-4 groups of 2-4 players, each group controlling a Dragon and its Exarchs.

Makkel
2016-01-06, 12:37 PM
For experienced players, who are used to dragons being sorcerers stuck in a dragons body, a Xorvintaal dragon is more along the lines of a Fighter or Ranger, so it makes a surprise encounter as it acts very differently than "normal".

Also, the hole Exarch and Pawn thing gives the GM an excuse to fill the dragons lair with all sorts of monsters. If you have acces to the Monster Manual V, the Xorvintaal dragons or "Dragons of the Great Game" is a good read that can make for an interesting campaign.

To Maxrim: That sounds awesome! Any chance for a copy of that draft?

Crazysaneman
2016-01-06, 12:45 PM
I never ran a Xorvintaal campaign where the players were the dragons, however I did run a Faerun campaign where the players were pawns in the great game. Each of the players had a destiny shaped by a dragon, each tending towards one of the alignment extremes. The players turned out to be the end bosses of the campaign for each other. It was pretty neat.