PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewing Across The Net: An Observation

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-03, 12:29 PM
I tend to frequent three boards.

Giant In the Playground
Wizards of the Coast
and ENWorld.

These boards I gotta say have some of the nicest commenters of stuff. Y'all may not agree sometimes, but it's all friendly stuff 99% of the time and its like batting around an idea between enthusiastic friends.

Wizards of the Coast has alot of cranks mixed into its nice folk. You tend to debate stuff more than here, and sometimes get into full-fledged arguments, but for the most part it's all good.

Then there is ENWorld. I think the only reason I really post stuff there is because I KNOW not a soul will pull a punch. However, the folks there tend to go absolutely overboard. I have yet to post a single creation that a single soul seemed to meet with approval. There might be one or two folks who'll like it and suggest something.

For the most part however every one acts as if they are full against it and will argue for hours over the most nitpicky thing and if you disagree with them you "don't want your creation critiqued, you just want a pat on the head!". You cannot debate with them, you must bow your head and say, 'As you will my master'.

I've eventually conceded some points and probably have a better creation for it, but for the most part the critic there are psycho.

So to put it in a nutshell...

Giant in the Playground critics use well aimed pillows.
Wizards of the Coast critics like to pop you with paint guns.
ENWorld critics... daisycutters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_siJJWYFs0).

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-03, 12:44 PM
From my own observations, the venom of the critics seems to be inversely proportional to how strictly the anti-flaming rules of a particular board are enforced.

Basically, all critics are, deep down, absolutely evil. However, most don't want to get banned for flaming, so they coat everything with a liberal helping of sugar.

Also: I have a sudden desire to make a pillow cannon. Damn you, VT.

YPU
2007-06-03, 12:46 PM
I was wondering if you posted something along the same lines on the other two boards? But you are right, the OoTS forum is by far one of the most friendly I know, that is why I come here so often.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-03, 12:54 PM
I was wondering if you posted something along the same lines on the other two boards? But you are right, the OoTS forum is by far one of the most friendly I know, that is why I come here so often.
Two! Two repeat posts! Wuhahahaha!

*lightening flashes*

Anyways, I'm definitely tempted :smallwink:

jindra34
2007-06-03, 12:56 PM

*lightening flashes*

Go for it...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-03, 01:07 PM
Those are very kind words, VT. I myself frequent these forums and WotC, now and then lurking around a couple others, and I must say these are indeed the nicest. I always tell myself: 'WotC may have lots of stuff, but it just doesn't have the same soul as GitP.

YPU
2007-06-03, 01:43 PM

*lightening flashes*

I wonder how many people are getting that one, but nice one.
anyway if you post something similar on the others kick us a link, so we can see if you are right.

Triaxx
2007-06-03, 01:44 PM
Exactly. We're hear because we enjoy the largely light-hearted nature of OoTS. So we're bound not to be such... hard cases.

Besides, we like to pick apart and improve, rather than to tear down.

YPU
2007-06-03, 01:53 PM
Exactly. We're hear because we enjoy the largely light-hearted nature of OoTS. So we're bound not to be such... hard cases.

Besides, we like to pick apart and improve, rather than to tear down.
That probably is the reason, most of us were here for the comic first and later for the forum. That is sort of a selection trail that breeds a very relaxed type of board.

Poppatomus
2007-06-03, 01:55 PM
That probably is the reason, most of us were here for the comic first and later for the forum. That is sort of a selection trail that breeds a very relaxed type of board.

My thoughts exactly. Even in the case of those that come here from other boards first, the very fact that they appreciate OOTS suggests that they take a somewhat less rigid (read: more fun), if no less serious, approach to the game and its mechanics.

Matthew
2007-06-03, 02:03 PM
I wonder how much has to do with reputation, though (not post frequency reputation, but actual reputation). A lot of folk here are simply very familiar with your work and rather like you. They may be inclined to go easier and be more forgiving as a result. I don't know what your reputation is like on the Wizards or ENworld boards, but they have a much greater frequency of loonies on Wizards than they do here. If you have ever frequented the Oriental Adventures Board on Wizards, you may be acquainted with the 'territorial' posters.

The advice that goes out from these Forums, by and large, seems to me very similar to that which goes out from the Wizards Forums, the phraseology is just much more polite and friendly.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-03, 02:21 PM
Ok, posted this on Wizards :smallwink:
Homebrewing Across the Net (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=12594052#post12594052)

I wonder how much has to do with reputation, though (not post frequency reputation, but actual reputation). A lot of folk here are simply very familiar with your work and rather like you. They may be inclined to go easier and be more forgiving as a result. I don't know what your reputation is like on the Wizards or ENworld boards, but they have a much greater frequency of loonies on Wizards than they do here. If you have ever frequented the Oriental Adventures Board on Wizards, you may be acquainted with the 'territorial' posters.
I'm decently well known on the Wizards boards, particularly in the Monsters and Psionics section.

ENWorld I've only visited off an on.

So you may have a point. However, everyone was friendly the first thing I posted here.

Icewalker
2007-06-03, 03:24 PM
That's...quite an impressive bomb.

But yeah, that's what I've heard as well. GitP Forums = teh best.

Demented
2007-06-03, 04:14 PM
I think that it's more related to the size of the regular community than how the rules themselves are enforced. Smaller communities tend to get downright exophobic, because the regular members become so tightly-knit that they develop unofficial social rules. (Pointing out stickies to newcomers almost becomes a favorite pasttime.)

On the other hand, it's a working theory. I've no idea how big the ENworld community is. Not to mention, with GitP's infraction system, the more fiesty regulars tend to accumulate infraction points, keeping the common denominator low, so that's at least a point for the rules-factor.

Oh, and you know why they call it the MOAB, right?

Because it steers like yo momma!

Helgraf
2007-06-04, 12:41 AM

*lightening flashes*

The Count just can't stop counting...

YPU
2007-06-04, 06:19 AM
One other point also got mentioned. On other boards as well as here, people often flame you when you say something good about wizards. They do have a lot of commercial junk mixed in but they do publish a very good game, and face it the designers over at wizards really aren’t the bad ones. They just make what the management thinks will sell best. And face it, most of those critics would scream yes if they were offered a job at wizards design and development for d20.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-04, 06:57 AM
Heh, try and mention that you like d20 Modern on a Shadowrun or Vampire the Masquerade Forum.

Am I correct that this site is one of the few places with a proper Homebrew subsection?

Haruspex
2007-06-05, 05:52 AM
VT, did you post this question on ENWorld as well? I wonder how they'd react...:smallwink:

puppyavenger
2007-06-05, 06:19 AM
(jumps into fallout shelter)

SilverClawShift
2007-06-05, 08:01 PM
I usually feel that D&D players are overly critical of new material (ANY new material, for any reason). It seems like there are some people who just aren't happy unless they have something to be unhappy about.

Me and my friends love making new content for game sessions. We help each other out and playtest bits of it to make sure they work right and such. Right now we're working on a whole little world, a full out fantasy world with a little western twist (currently called the Dustlands :smallbiggrin: )

But I'm always terrified of showing any material to anyone, because the stuff I see them saying about everyone work (except their own of course) is just DEPRESSING. This is the first forum I've thought I might be comfortable showing some of our stuff off to.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-06, 11:38 AM
On ENWorld:

Me - ...etc,while some just want a more lax response.

Not only are folks brutally honest here, but out of all the forums I've frequented, ENWorld has more obnoxiously vicious critics than I've ever seen. Goes way overboard the opposite way.

Poster - "Etc." has a period at the end. Please fix your top paragraph.

I bit him.

Korias
2007-06-06, 11:49 AM
On ENWorld:

Me - ...etc,while some just want a more lax response.

Not only are folks brutally honest here, but out of all the forums I've frequented, ENWorld has more obnoxiously vicious critics than I've ever seen. Goes way overboard the opposite way.

Poster - "Etc." has a period at the end. Please fix your top paragraph.

I bit him.

Thats what I call a "Grammer Nazi".

Now I know not to go to ENWorld.

aaron_the_cow
2007-06-06, 04:57 PM
whoooooooooo!!!!!!!
the only serious post-bord i'm in is "Teh Best" Yea!