PDA

View Full Version : The Worms thread

Lord Magtok
2007-06-03, 06:26 PM
I looked everywhere, and I couldn't find a thread about this wonderful videogame series. So here it is. Here we can discuss the various oddball weapons, exchange links to Worms-related flash movies, and sing various Boggy B songs.

Icewalker
2007-06-03, 06:30 PM
Yay for Worms. Excellent game.

I have Armageddon, so at least that is an excellent game, can't speak for the rest.

Fun stuff.

Logic
2007-06-03, 06:33 PM
As soon as Worms became available on X-Box 360 arcade, I downloaded it.
I love the Worms series, and there is nothing better than blow-torching a foe off of a cliff.

I did not care for worms 3D, but I understand some liked it. I think it lost somethnig in the translation.

Meeeeebit
2007-06-03, 07:38 PM
Mmmm worms,
Sooo many happy hours of holy hand grenades, kamakazies, shotguns and other alsorted random weapons to be used on other worms.:smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2007-06-03, 07:50 PM
I have happy memories of setting miniguns, super sheep and super banana bombs to 'infinite' and playing on a perfectly flat map. Damn that was weird, but so much fun.

Lord Magtok
2007-06-03, 07:58 PM
Here are some fun worms related links.

Ever wanted to create your own Worms character? Well now you can, with the Sigworminator 6000! (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/231585)

A wonderful Worms/Max Payne spoof. (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/326806)

More coming when I find 'em.

Perducci
2007-06-03, 08:04 PM
Favorite weapon- Aquatic Sheep. It can fly, it can swim, and most importantly...its a sheep that explodes. Getting it in a rapidly flooding game can be a life-saver, especially when you don't have access to higher ground.

It's also fun to watch.

Maxymiuk
2007-06-03, 08:40 PM
I liked Worms 2 the most. It had the best customizability options. Accuracy, damage, explosion radius, timer... you could change any variable! Armageddon was a step back in comparison.

Lord Magtok
2007-06-03, 09:06 PM
My favorite weapon was Prod. I can still remember the look on my younger brother's face as his favorite worm was dropped into the briny deep with the game's weakest weapon. :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2007-06-03, 10:15 PM
I love Worms, though I've only played armageddon.

My favorite weapons were:

Bungee: Not a weapon, but they sounded hilarious when they'd say it.

Ninja Rope: Again, not a weapon, just fun.

Holy Hand Grenade:
1. The "Halleluah" part. (I realize I spelled that wrong, it's hard to spell, and I'm lazy).
2. Monty Python Reference
3. The fun of creating a sudden giant hole in the map :smallbiggrin:

Super Banana Bomb: Sheer Carnage :smallcool:

Icewalker
2007-06-04, 12:35 AM
One thing I would do is go to the level editor, fill it, then create a few random tunnels with the tunnel button. Then play with banana bombs and like 15 worms in the game.

Usually 4-5 deaths first move.

Other fun story:

Once somebody got TWO double damage utility crates. Then dumped a holy hand grenade onto two worms.

Did you know that double damage actually increases the invisible shockwave? Almost all exploding weapons have a shockwave outside of the explosion that destroys crates, making them napalm. When this holy hand grenade went off in the middle of the map, every crate on the screen exploded. And the worms inside the explosion took about 500 damage.

Setra
2007-06-04, 12:42 AM
One thing I would do is go to the level editor, fill it, then create a few random tunnels with the tunnel button. Then play with banana bombs and like 15 worms in the game.

Usually 4-5 deaths first move.

Other fun story:

Once somebody got TWO double damage utility crates. Then dumped a holy hand grenade onto two worms.

Did you know that double damage actually increases the invisible shockwave? Almost all exploding weapons have a shockwave outside of the explosion that destroys crates, making them napalm. When this holy hand grenade went off in the middle of the map, every crate on the screen exploded. And the worms inside the explosion took about 500 damage.
AWESOME :smallbiggrin:

Assasinater
2007-06-04, 05:30 AM
Once we edited the minigun and air strike in Worms II to maximize all its properties. The minigun was especially funny, taking out half the map with one burst (imagine every bullet coming out of the minigun having the effect of a holy hand grenade or such).

Rincewind
2007-06-04, 05:35 AM
I've been playing Worms since I was 13, and I have to say... It's the best damn game ever. And I have won 4 tournaments in my time... But no tournaments are being held anymore... And none of my friends play with me anymore, since I beat the crap out of them on a 4 vs 1 game... :smallfrown:

Anyhow, any questions about teh Worms.. Ask me.

Worms 2... Nice
Worms Armageddon - Best one of the series evar...
Worms World Party - To much stuff :smalltongue:
Worms 3D - Hmm... Meh. Integration problems...
Worms Forts - A different game, but really fun actually..
Worms 4 - The regular worms is BACK, but in 3D... And HATS!!! OMIGOSH, HATS!

Markusdragon
2007-06-04, 05:47 AM
Two words.

Concrete. Donkey.

Ethdred
2007-06-04, 05:48 AM
Well done on starting this thread. Fantastic game - many happy post-pub hours on that one. I bought a load of the games cheap but only one of them would work on my PC - I think the others were in DOS or something. Probably the problem was between the keyboard and the seat.

Have now got my nephews into worms, so have a new generation of people to play with!

Sephiroth
2007-06-04, 06:09 AM
worms for life can't wait for worms 5 :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2007-06-04, 06:14 AM
Wedging a Priceless Ming Vase between a worm and a hard place produces a very interesting effect. I'm pretty sure that worm broke the sound barrier.

Dr. Bath
2007-06-05, 02:13 PM
None of you have mentioned worms united, thefirst game. That was so awesome, none of you fancy 'holy hand grenades' but a whole lot of super cools maps, like the the desktop, where you swing from the paint icon to the recycle bin, or space, where you stand on a star and if you try and move you die.

It may have had pixels the size of hams, but for me it's the best of them all.

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-05, 02:23 PM
You will rue the day you play me at worms, and rue it hard. I tend to win a lo. Except on cavern levels against my brother. He's like frakkin' spiderman with that ninja rope.

Dhavaer
2007-06-05, 02:44 PM
Can anyone tell me how the Magic Bullet secret weapon works? It's not exactly intuitive, and it's so rare that it's impossible to practise with.

NEO|Phyte
2007-06-05, 02:59 PM
Can anyone tell me how the Magic Bullet secret weapon works? It's not exactly intuitive, and it's so rare that it's impossible to practise with.

Patsy's magic bullet? Homing pidgeon on crack IIRC, its been a while since I've Worm'd it up.

Dhavaer
2007-06-05, 03:04 PM
Patsy's magic bullet? Homing pidgeon on crack IIRC, its been a while since I've Worm'd it up.

It seems too random for that, but not so random as the homing missile.

Eldpollard
2007-06-05, 04:31 PM
I love the worms games. Except the 3d ones. We should have an oots online game of worms. Anyone fancy it?

Perducci
2007-06-05, 06:32 PM
Ha, speaking of crazy-rope skills...

I was playing a Worms Armaggedon Tournament with some buddies on time. Due to the fact I could move anywhere on the map with ropes and they couldn't, I was banned from using them after the first round. I'm not sure my Scot-worms should have used ninja ropes anyway. Doesn't seem right.

As for the Magic Bullet, the only experience I have with it was two shots. I hit myself one time with it. It will go right around obstacles and things, just try to make sure your worms aren't blocking the path into the cave/hole.

Prod-a fun move even when you are just pushing them down for a tad bit of fall damage.

Concrete Donkey-good times. I didn't know it would have such a huge area of effect the first time I used it though. Still fun.

Petrol Bombs-fun way to keep enemy worms from moving into better position.

Long bow-when you just need to go all Robin Hood on someone.

Kamikaze-don't give them the satisfaction of killing your worms.

Worms Armaggedon is my favorite of the series. I refuse to play any 3-d Worm game. It's not right. Worms Armaggedon for Gameboy was Ok. My little brother plays it a lot now.(When he isn't going nuts over Pokemon that is)

Maxymiuk
2007-06-05, 07:21 PM
It seems too random for that, but not so random as the homing missile.

It's a homing projectile alright, but it needs a lot of space, since it tends to move so fast. But NEO has it right otherwise.

Lord Magtok
2007-06-05, 09:04 PM
It's a homing projectile alright, but it needs a lot of space, since it tends to move so fast. But NEO has it right otherwise.

From Wikipedia:

Patsy's Magic Bullet
An extremely intelligent homing weapon. It rarely collides with land, is capable of making sharp turns in mid-flight, and can go through very narrow gaps and tunnels. The name is likely a reference to the single bullet theory of the John F. Kennedy assassination, where one bullet was claimed to have caused all of the non-fatal wounds in President John F. Kennedy and Texas Governor John Connally. Also, Lee Harvey Oswald called himself "just a patsy" in an interview. The game description even reads "Not a conspiracy after all."

Eldpollard
2007-06-06, 10:50 AM
If anyone ever wants to play online then post. I played worms for the first time in ages. Lost horribly online.

Krade
2007-06-06, 11:41 AM
I only have Worms: Open Warfare for the DS, but I have played Worms 2 and Armageddon.

The best part of customizability in Worms 2: The Homing Cluster Grenade. Max out the stats on that, Throw it it straight up, and watch 5 or 6 Holy Hand Grenade powered bombs devastate entire landmasses with pinpoint accuracy.

Man, I really need to get some of these games for my PC...

Eldpollard
2007-06-06, 12:53 PM
Man, I really need to get some of these games for my PC...

You do. It won't cost you much. It's a fiver over here. Which is about $10.00 ish.

Leon
2007-06-07, 05:34 AM
Two words.

Concrete. Donkey.

Drat, iv been beaten to it :smallsmile:

Dhavaer
2007-06-08, 02:16 AM
I've noticed there doesn't seem to be a 'super-bazooka' weapon. The grenade has the holy hand grenade, the handgun has the minigun and the cluster bomb has the super banana bomb, but nothing seems to match up to the bazooka.

Rincewind
2007-06-08, 03:01 AM
I've noticed there doesn't seem to be a 'super-bazooka' weapon. The grenade has the holy hand grenade, the handgun has the minigun and the cluster bomb has the super banana bomb, but nothing seems to match up to the bazooka.

Well there was the Magic Bullet someone mentioned. That guy deals 75 damage, has a middle explosion area, but throws the worms a great deal away :)

Dhavaer
2007-06-08, 07:56 AM
Patsy's Magic Bullet is more like the Homing Missile than the Bazooka.

Rincewind
2007-06-08, 10:56 AM
They are all located under the bazooka tab, and it's the SUPER weapon, so of course it's going to be homing... Who would want his super weapon to be effected from wind... Or to have short range? :/

Eldpollard
2007-06-08, 01:49 PM
You're right, but what could you really do to make the bazooka better? Except bigger explosion perhaps.

Dhavaer
2007-06-08, 06:21 PM
You're right, but what could you really do to make the bazooka better? Except bigger explosion perhaps.

That's what I'm looking for. Something HHG-esque.

Timberwolf
2007-06-08, 06:41 PM
I've played Worms Armageddon a lot

Send for... the PIGEON !!!!!!

Eldpollard
2007-06-09, 12:06 PM
Ah the pigeon. That always goes well, it never kills your own team.

TheOOB
2007-06-09, 11:51 PM
The sheep launcher is essentially your super bazooka, it works just the same except its remote detonated, deals more damage, and can move after it lands if you so desire.

Setra
2007-06-10, 02:25 AM
I was playing around on a Worms Game..

I just remembered.. my favorite weapon.

The Super Sheep :smallcool:

Dhavaer
2007-06-10, 03:47 AM
What's the most enemy worms you've killed in one shot? I just got 5.