PDA

View Full Version : Bladelock vs Bladesinger: Majority melee gish

Rajah
2015-11-23, 09:26 AM
For another game I'm joining, I'm playing one of these two. Here is the table situation:

-heavy RP
-have fun is the rule, meaning I can use my spells to buff myself if I choose. We can be selfish without alienating the table.
-optimization not required, of course.

Which would you say is more fun to play? And actually better at melee combat? I will be in melee almost all the time with spell casting where needed. Spell slots will be liberally used to keep myself alive by whatever means necessary.

They both fit my character concept. I considered eldritch knight as well, but this character concept is more cast-oriented, so I wanted more spell slots.

Which do you guys prefer? Which do you suggest?

Daehron
2015-11-23, 10:45 AM
They both fit my character concept. I considered eldritch knight as well, but this character concept is more cast-oriented, so I wanted more spell slots.

Personally, I have always held a low estimation the Bladelock. So I am a bit prejudiced.

Here is my take:

More spell slots means Bladesinger. Heck I think the EK has more spell slots than a Bladelock.

Warlock's benefit will be the invocations. Both the Bladelock and the Bladesinger get the extra attack, and casting stat to weapon damage.

Bladelock will be reliably doing more ranged damage with EB+AB.

Bladesinger has a broader selection of spells, more spell slots, better ritual casting spell list, while Bladesinging they have a better AC, and a bonus on concentration checks.

EvilAnagram
2015-11-23, 11:26 AM
If you want to be a Dex elf, go Bladsinger. If you don't, go Bladelock.

Or, if your DM doesn't care about that, ask yourself how you want to play. Early levels of Bladelocks typically have an easier time casting since their slots regenerate on a rest. They also get a wider variety of weapons to play with, and the Warlock patrons add fun RP potential. On the other hand, Bladsingers are nearly untouchable, and have access to a wide variety of spells.

Vogonjeltz
2015-11-24, 12:23 AM
For another game I'm joining, I'm playing one of these two. Here is the table situation:

-heavy RP
-have fun is the rule, meaning I can use my spells to buff myself if I choose. We can be selfish without alienating the table.
-optimization not required, of course.

Which would you say is more fun to play? And actually better at melee combat? I will be in melee almost all the time with spell casting where needed. Spell slots will be liberally used to keep myself alive by whatever means necessary.

Which do you guys prefer? Which do you suggest?

Warlock has more hit points
Wizard has more spells
Wizard would get extra attack at 6th as part of their subclass option, Warlock has to spend an invocation to get it, but can get it at 5th level as per normal.
Wizard gets casting stat to damage while bladesong is active (so not always), Warlock has to spend an invocation to do the same, but can do it two levels earlier.
Wizard gets a one-handed weapon of their choice, Warlock can make it any melee weapon.

So it appears to me that the Warlock has the edge on everything except for number of spells, but even that gap is closed if the party manages to take two additional short rests (beyond the 2 minimum that are expected). If for some reason your DM doesn't adhere to the guidelines to provide even the minimum number, then Wizard would probably be the better option in terms of spells.

Rajah
2015-11-24, 08:16 AM
The warlock spell list seems a lot worse than the wizard list.

Joe the Rat
2015-11-24, 10:34 AM
Warlock also makes for a decent Robilar from level 2: Armor of Agathys + Hellish Rebuke. You want to get hit once in a while. The downside is that you can only go full in on this 1/ SR. Fiend pact gives you some extras here (extend AoA with carefully applied fiendish resilience, killsteal for thp once AoA runs out), or take the false life invocation for when you need to fill in the gap (or are fighting something ice-proof). For the most part, you can't Nova a Bladelock - and nowhere near as far as you can with a higher level BS. This makes it easier to play as a caster (no fear of burning down to cantrips for the day in one go), but potentially more complex as a meleer (attack focus over defense, temp hp buffer vs. crazy AC).