PDA

View Full Version : [M&M 3e, Solo] Stoneguard

Drakeburn
2015-11-23, 03:52 PM
From the mountaintop, you cannot help but to enjoy the beautiful view you have over the whole area. A small village sits on a beautiful field of green grass and pine trees at the feet of the white mountains where you're at. The only company you have up here is a mountain goat standing a few yards from where you are. It looks towards your direction for a moment before moving on. With only a couple white clouds lazily floating in the blue sky, it looks like a perfect day.

So what brings you to this spot on such a beautiful day?

Kapow
2015-11-23, 04:50 PM
Sometimes Karl just needed to get away from it all.

Before he was investigating some cases of illegal chemical waste disposal in a valley in nearby Austria, where he managed to convince some mafiosi to develop an ecologic consciousness and donate an adequate sum to "Global 2000 (https://www.global2000.at/)", shortly before visiting the local hospital.

Now he needed some space and silence.
Meditating on top of a mountain, becoming one with his protegee, becoming one with Earth.

Smiling in the sun, Karl thought to himself, that the old saying was true: "Save the world, and it will repay you for it, everyday for the rest of your life"

First: Thank you for doing this.

And then: I hope my english sufficient. Sometimes I have to really think about just how to express my intentions/ideas adequately. :smallwink:

Oh, and I am no member or such of "Global 2000", just wanted to add some realism and info about this :smallbiggrin:

Drakeburn
2015-11-24, 05:21 PM
Apparently, you're not alone up in the mountains.

Not too far from where you are, a woman in a white flowing dress stands on top of another mountain. Looking down at the village as her brown hair flows in the breeze, she turns her gaze towards you and offers a gentle smile. You know immediately who this woman is: Gaia herself.

Just as she fades away, you suddenly hear an explosion. Turning to where the sound came from, you find a stream of smoke coming out from one of the other mountains in a far distance away.

Kapow
2015-11-25, 04:30 AM
To tell the truth, if Karl would have had the time, he'd be stunned by the appearance of Gaia.
She was awe-inspiring and he hadn't seen her face to face, since the day she imbued him with this powers and made him her guard.
(And he wasn't to sure if this had been real, or just his mind making up a Story for what had happened to him)

But as it was, this explosion took priority.
Without further delay, he started taking the fastest way to the site of the column of smoke.

There he placed himself out of sight, a short way above the supposed point of the disruption, watching the scene carefully.

Well how I get there, depends on the circumstances (and mechanics).
You said it was a far distance away, I'm not faster then a normal human, although the terrain won't impede me I believe, due to "One with Earth" -> "Earthwalk".
So, if it is reasonable, I would move through the mountains to get there.
If it is to far away for this, I'd look for another possibility to get there faster (car perhaps, I didn't even specify if Karl can drive :smallamused:)

Or, if it were the single best possibility I would use an extra effort for either additional Speed or a Power Stunt off of "Eartwalk" to use Teleport 4 [Accurate (or Easy, if I don't need Accurate), Extended only, Medium (Earth/Stone) -> That should be 16 miles]

And if I read it correctly, I'm fatigued (and dazed if I need Accurate to teleport there - in which case I would use either a Hero Point, if I have one, or a recovery action, to remove the daze at least :smallamused:)

I'm not sure if it works that way. But that's why I wanted a Mentor :smallwink:

Skill checks if needed:
Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Drakeburn
2015-11-25, 05:00 PM
Let's just stick with Earthwalk at the moment.

At the manmade cavern in the mountain, you see six people go inside. Five of them appear to be wearing body armor, and armed with assault rifles. Among them is one person who is dressed in heavy winter clothing. The man seems to be searching around the cave while his guards keep watch, not noticing you.

Kapow
2015-11-25, 07:00 PM
Now those don't look like doing a military exercise

Karl moved through the mountain, to bypass the group unnoticed. Those guards shouldn't be a problem, but he liked to keep the element of surprise and he wanted to know what they were up to.
The mountain was moaning to him, the cavern an open wound in his side.

Get them, old boy! pushed Karl him gently to stop his assailants, before he started to clad himself in the meanwhile familiar second skin, made of granite.

Okay, this is what I mean to do:
First I want to move past the group inside the mountain (I really don't expect them to perceive me there, but as I want to know what they do, I'll have to look out of the wall - so Stealth(?) [roll0])
After this I want to use Earth Tentacles on as many of them as I can.
And if I then have still a move Action (or rather if there is still no initiative order) I'd activate Stone Armor

By the way I realized that all my Grab-Advantages are really rather stupid, without a strength-bonus, aren't they?

Kapow
2015-11-25, 07:02 PM
Messed the roll up somehow
[roll0]
Edit: He really isn't stealthy :smallannoyed:

Drakeburn
2015-11-25, 11:01 PM
The guards don't appear to notice you, but upon a closer look you notice that the person without the armor is wearing safety goggles, like the kind that are worn in science labs, rather than ski goggles.
Another thing you notice is that the man with the safety goggles is looking around with some kind of small device.
The device gives off an odd sound when he points is to the cavern floor. Looking excited, he pulls out a hammer and a chisel and starts digging at the exact spot. After a moment, he stopped digging and pulled something out. It is too small to see what it is that he pulled out.

"I've heard a lot about you, Stoneguard, but I've never actually seen you in person before." The man calls out, having his guards alert but confused.

Don't worry. The guards failed their perception checks as well.

Kapow
2015-11-26, 04:14 AM
Imagine geological movement in time lapse, imagine the ground creeping up your feets and legs, stalagtites made of rock instead of soft limestone grabbing at your head, the walls stretching out with tendrils for your arms.

And then, the from the darkness of the cave, a rocky shape steps out of the wall. And talks in a growling voice: "If you heard about me, what made you think you'd get away with THIS?"

This time I actually thought about describing the effect of the Eart Tentacles-Power (DC 20 Dodge, or 1st: Hindered, 2nd Immobile) It's a 30 cft. shapeable effect, so I hope I'll get some of them, mostly the guards by the way.
I know, that this is not wise from a tactical lookout, as well as talking to the villain, but Karl is still very confident with his powers.

Oh, and I try to intimidate (demoralize) the goggles-guy [roll0] (or must this be trained? Either way, I don't expect this to work)

Drakeburn
2015-11-28, 03:02 PM
Three of the guards become restrained by your earth tentacles, while two of them manage to avoid being grabbed.

The man with the goggles however, simply gives off a light laugh.

"You really want to know how I can get away with this? Very well. I am Dr. Marcus Reginald, and this rare mineral," He shows to you a small shard of some kind of mineral giving off a dim white glow.
"Is what all I need to get away with this." With his other hand, he pulls out some kind ray gun like device.

Roll for initiative!

Sorry to take so long. That sort of thing tends to happen around the holidays.

So, do you know how to roll for initiative?

Name: Karl Rodenbaum; Hero: Stoneguard
Age: 26; Height: 6'1“; Weight: 170 lbs.; Eyes: brown/grey; Hair: light-brown

Backstory: Karl Rodenbaum was born as the second child of three into a family of civil servants in the town of St. Antönien in the swiss alpes.
His sister is three years older than him and he has a brother about two years younger.
His childhood was pretty sheltered and normal. He never was the most popular kid, but he wasn't an outsider either.
He always liked to play outside and explore the mountains of his homeland. Hiking and climbing just came natural to him.
In school he struggled with being locked in, but otherwise he did okay.
Later Karl became kind of a loner, he liked hiking through the mountains on his own, even as a teenager staying in mountainhuts or even caves for weeks if he found the time.
At this time he started being interested in environmental protection. As it is often the case with teenagers, this theme defined most of his doings and he became outright annoying at times, e.g. lecturing his family on the badness of using planes and fossil fuel in the whole.
So it was no surprise, that he became sort of a mountain ranger to protect his beloved mountains.

One day he followed a lead about a corporation trying to exploit the ressources in a protected landscape.
While following the exploration teams, they (unintentionally) startet a landslide and he got buried in it.

Where he should have died, he had a mystic awakening experience. Earth/Gaia spoke to him. She needed a guardian and due to his willingness to fight for her, she chose him.

Karl then could simply move through the earth and stone, as if it wasn't more than air.
He took some time to learn how to manipulate the element earth to utilize it for his new duty. He didn't return to his old job, although he stays in sporadic contact to his former colleagues. Instead he started to live of the land, studying the mystic art of elementalism.
Mostly he tries to disturb projects that, in his view of things, will prove harmful to the environment.
This has made him or at least his „Stoneguard“ identity an enemy to many corporations.
He even became some sort of "guru" for some radical enviromentalists.

His family remains critical about Karls endeavours. While his parents are concerned about the consequences, mainly the legal part, his sister believes he is kind of a smart aleck, forcing his view of things on others. His little brother though, think it's totally cool to have a superhero as big brother.

Protect the Earth (Motivation: Responsibility)
Gaia chose me to protect her. I will do what ever I have to, to live up to this responsibility.
And even if she hadn't, it is simply the right thing to do, protecting earth. After all, we only got one...

Servant of Gaia (Weakness)
Karl has his powers bestowed on him by the incarnation of planet Earth. If he would fail to live up to this, or somehow be separated from her powers, his powers could very possibly weaken or even fade to nothing.

Wrong Crowd (Reputation/Fame)
Yes, there is such a thing as militant environmentalists. Some of them worship „Stoneguard“ as „their“ hero. Sometimes that's useful, more often it is a problem as they tend to be ruthless about the well-being of themselves and others.

Ecoterrorist! (Reputation/Enemy)
Hitting the mighty where it hurts isn't something you should do, if you can't stand the heat.
„Stoneguard“ is frequently branded as an ecoterrorist and it may be, that some of those corporations even put a prize on his head.

Leave them alone (Relationship)
Aforementioned enemies could target Karls family, if they knew about them.
And Karl was never very guarded about his identity...

Power Level: 10 (150/150 points)

ABILITIES (10 points)
Str 0; Agl 0; Fgt 5/0; Awe 0; Sta 5 (10PP); Dex 0; Int 0; Pre
DEFENSE (25 points)
Dodge 10/5 (5PP); Parry 10 (5PP); Fortitude 10 (5PP); Toughness 10; Will 10 (10PP)

SKILLS (20 points)
Close Combat (Stone Armor) +10 (2,5PP), Expertise (elementalism/magic) +10 (5PP), Expertise (stonesculpting) +10 (5PP), Expertise (survival) +5 (2,5PP), Perception +5 (2,5PP), Persuasion +5 (2,5PP), Stealth +10/+0

ADVANTAGES (2 points)
Favored Environment: Mountains; Additional Language: English
(Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Interpose, Power Attack, Weapon Bind, Weapon Break)

POWERS (89 points)
Earth Elementalist
(Bestowed, Earth, Stone, Elemental, Mystic)

Earth Awareness (Senses 2) (3PP)
Awareness: Earth/Stone, Radius: Earth Awareness (Personal - Permanent)

Earth Control
-Move Earth (Move Object 10) (20PP)
25 tons DC25; Damaging; Activation: move action, diminished Range, Limited Material: Earth/Stone (Standard – 100/250/500 ft.) - Sustained)
-Earth Tentacle (Shapeable Area Affliction 10) (alternate)
1st degree: Hindered, 2nd degree: Immobile, DC 20; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Sapeable Area: 30 cft., DC 20, Indirect: fixed point, directed away; Activation: move action, Limited Degree, Source: Earth/Stone (Standard – Close - Instant)
-Stoneshape (Transform 6) (alternate)
Affects: 1 Thing > Broad – Earth/Stone, Transforms 3200 lbs, DC 16; Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Mass 6; Activation 2: standard action, Check Required 4: DC 13 – Expertise: Stonesculpting, Distracting (Standard – Close - Continuous)

One with Earth (17PP)
-As Earth (Enhanced Trait 11) (6PP)
Traits: Stealth +10 (+10), Dodge +5 (+10), Advantages: Hide in Plain Sight; Limited: Earth/Stone Environment (Free – Personal - Sustained)
-Earthwalk (Movement 5) (8PP)
Permeate 3: full speed, Wall-crawling 2: full speed; Increased Duration: continuous [3 ranks „Permeate“ only]; Limited: Earth/Stone (Free – Personal - Continuous)
-Earth Ward (Immunity 3) (3PP)
Suffocation: Under Earth/Stone, Uncommon Descriptor: Earth/Stone (Personal – Permanent)

Earth Armor (35PP)
-Hard Limbs: (Enhanced Trait 10) (3PP)
Trait: Fighting+5 (+5), Activation: move action, Noticeable: Stoneskin, Source: Earth/Stone (Free – Personal - Sustained)
-Rockhard (Defense) (10PP)
Saving Throw: Toughness; Impervious (Reaction – Personal - Permanent)
-Stonefists (Damage 10) (9PP)
DC 25; Multiattack; Activation: move action, Noticeable: Stonefists, Source: Earth/Stone (Standard – Close – Instant)
-Stone Spike (Damage 8) (alternate)
DC 23; Penetrating 4, Reach (melee): 5 ft.; Activation: move action, Noticeable: Stone Spike, Source: Earth/Stone (Standard – Close 5 ft. – Instant)
-Stone Skin (Protection 5) (13PP)
+5 Toughness, Advantages: Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Interpose, Power Attack, Weapon Bind, Weapon Break; Impervious; Activation: move action, Noticeable: Stone Skin, Source: Earth/Stone (Personal - Permanent)

-Stone Walls (Protection 10) (18PP)
+10 Toughness; Affects Others Only, Increased Duration: continuous, Increased Range: ranged; Activation: move action, Noticeable: Stone Spike, Source: Earth/Stone (Ranged, 250/500/1000 ft. - Permanent)

Kapow
2015-11-28, 05:36 PM
That was EXACTLY what was wrong with those type of "human" beings. For such a little piece of material destroying such a mass of the environment.

"Oh, it won't be enough, Doctor! Not nearly..."

Karl's rocky stature towered over the man, enraged by his casualness, he layed it on him with massive fists of granite.

No sweat about the time, I'm pretty busy myself with work, Family and holidays coming.

I think I know how to roll ...
Inititative: [roll0]

For speeding it up, I'll (try to) roll an attack with my stonefists with Multiattack, with Favored Environment put to attack...
Stone Fist: [roll1]

Kapow
2015-11-28, 05:37 PM
Rerolls, due to my inability (I think it's the preview function?!)

Initiative: [roll0]

Stone Fist: [roll1] :smalleek: If I have a Hero Point I'd like to reroll this one

Drakeburn
2015-12-01, 03:50 PM
As Dr. Reginald loads the crystal-like mineral into his ray gun, his two guards raise their assault rifles and start firing at you.

Rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]

If you'd like to roll again for your stone fist, you can spend a hero point for that.

Here is the initiative order:

Guards: 13
Dr. Reginald: 10
Stoneguard: 5

The guards have already gone, and Dr. Reginald is skipping his turn, so if they've made rolls that match your Dodge defense or higher, you're gonna have roll to make a toughness resistance check to see how much damage Stoneguard can handle (DC 20)

Kapow
2015-12-01, 06:03 PM
Stoneguard, simply ignoring the bullets, bouncing off of his rocky skin, focusses solely on the doctor with the strange gun.

I think with Impervious Toughness (5), Assault Rifles can't do anything to me. But just to be sure, the checks:
Toughness 1: [roll0]
Toughness 2: [roll1]

And I'll reroll my attack as above (Stonefists with Multiattack, with Favored Environment put to attack)
[roll]1d20+7

Kapow
2015-12-01, 06:05 PM
I'll learn to format this correctly, I swear :smallsigh:
Attack: [roll0]

And I'd really like a roll above 10 sometimes - please

Oh! Wow...a crit
Well, how do I calculate the DC?
Damage Rank (10) + Crit (5) + 15 (+ perhaps Multiattack 0/2/5)= Toughness DC 30 (or 32/35)
right?