PDA

View Full Version : Non-elf Bladesinger in AL play?

Rajah
2015-11-23, 04:52 PM
Sword coast says only elves or half-elves but your DM can allow any race. Does AL force strict lore here, meaning only elven bladesingers?

Safety Sword
2015-11-23, 05:10 PM
If anyone is going to, it'll be AL...

rhouck
2015-11-23, 06:10 PM
http://dndadventurersleague.org/the-sword-coast-adventurers-guide-and-you/

Only elves and half-elves can become bladesingers. This is a clarification of the rules as written in the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide.

IIRC even the book itself says that the rule should exist in all games set in the FR (AL or otherwise), and that allowing non-elves as an exception is more of an "ask your DM if you don't play in the FR". Obviously the DM (in a non-AL game) can allow whatever he wants (including non-elf bladesingers in a FR game), but that is my recollection of what the book suggested (AFB right now).

DracoKnight
2015-11-23, 07:48 PM
http://dndadventurersleague.org/the-sword-coast-adventurers-guide-and-you/

IIRC even the book itself says that the rule should exist in all games set in the FR (AL or otherwise), and that allowing non-elves as an exception is more of an "ask your DM if you don't play in the FR". Obviously the DM (in a non-AL game) can allow whatever he wants (including non-elf bladesingers in a FR game), but that is my recollection of what the book suggested (AFB right now).

Your DM can allow whatever they want in their version of the Realms, is what the book says. But the AL rules are Elf/Half-elf only.

steppedonad4
2015-11-23, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't allow it outside of AL either. The human variant breaks the game as a bladesinger.

Seruvius
2015-11-24, 04:02 AM
In general AL follows the strict interpretations, though there are some exceptions (like how one could obtain a special permit to play a death domain cleric by DM-ing at certain events). Purely for balance reasons it is easiest for AL to go by the base rules. DM's and Players can swap out between sessions, so having a consistent set of rules for every one of the hundreds of PC characters is quite important.
In this specific case, AL does not allow non Elf/half-elf bladesingers and I believe also does not allow non-dwarven Battleragers.