PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Druid Circle - Circle of the Night (PEACH)

Kellendros95
2015-11-23, 07:14 PM
I have written several archetypes for my group. Now I'm going to gradually post them here. Let's start with Druid Circle of the Night, which should allow to create a stereotypical forest witch.
My English isn't very good, so I'm apologize for grammatical, spelling and stylistic mistakes and I hope you will tell me about them as well as about your opinion of the archetype.

Circle of the Night

One with Familiar
When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you learn find familiar spell. Your familiar, as well as you, when it is summoned, always has darkvision with at least 60ft range. You always have this spell prepared and it doesn't count against your number of spells you can prepare each day. If you use your wild shape while your familiar is summoned, you can dismiss it, transform to its exact copy and teleport to location where it used to be before dismissing, so creatures that saw it will not notice anything. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Circle Spells
At 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level you gain access to circle spells. Once you gain access to a circle spell, you always have it prepared, and it doesn't count against the number of spells you can prepare each day. If you gain access to a spell that doesn't appear on the druid spelllist, the spell is nonetheless a druid spell for you.

Druid level
Circle Spells

3rd
Hold person, Suggestion

5th
Conjure animals, Fear

7th
Polymorph, Phantasmal killer

9th
Insect plague, Dominate person

Dark Potions
At 6th level you gain an ability to brew the potions that store part of your magical power. You can choose a prepared druid spell that has self range and doesn't deal damage. If spell requires material components, you must provide it. You spend 1 hour for a level of a spell to create a potion. You can't create another potion until you finish a long rest. Later you can drink it as an action to cast a chosen spell without spending a spell slot and providing any components. If other creature drink your potion, it doesn't work. You can create number of potions equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1). If you create more potions, the oldest one loses its magic.

Children of the Night
Starting at 10th level, you, as well as all creatures summoned by you, make additional 1d8 necrotic damage with all melee attacks when aren't in direct sunlight.

Dreadful Gaze
At 14th level you gain the ability to strike fear into the hearts of your enemies just by looking at them. As an action, choose any number of creatures within 30th feet from you that can see you. Each of them must make a Charisma saving throw against your spell save DC. On fail, it becomes frightened until the start of your next turn and takes 4d10 psychic damage. On success, it takes half as much damage and doesn't become frightened. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Hipster Dixit
2015-11-24, 08:09 AM
Good job, the flavor is right, and seems balanced and fun. I'd say that so many hours to brew a potion are just too much, and need you either to make it at night or to slow your party... why not making minutes instead of hours? I don't think that will impact balance at all.

Another thing: a witch absolutely needs a cannibalism ability (even better, child-eating!)... it is just a suggestion of course, but you could add another 2nd level ability that lets you cook people to gain small buffs to spells, regain some health, or give other minor benefits.

Kellendros95
2015-11-24, 04:21 PM
Good job, the flavor is right, and seems balanced and fun. I'd say that so many hours to brew a potion are just too much, and need you either to make it at night or to slow your party... why not making minutes instead of hours? I don't think that will impact balance at all.

Another thing: a witch absolutely needs a cannibalism ability (even better, child-eating!)... it is just a suggestion of course, but you could add another 2nd level ability that lets you cook people to gain small buffs to spells, regain some health, or give other minor benefits.
How about that:

Dark Potions
At 6th level you gain an ability to brew the potions that store part of your magical power. You can choose a prepared druid spell of 5th level or less that has self or touch range and doesn't deal damage. You must spend 1 hour to create a potion. You must provide all material components required by spell and additional component - one pound of humanoid flesh. Flesh of one humanoid can be used only for one potion. You can't create another potion until you finish a long rest. Later you can drink it as an action to cast a chosen spell without spending a spell slot and providing any components. If spell has touch range you can cast it only targeting yourself. If other creature drink your potion, it doesn't work. You can create number of potions equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1). If you create more potions, the oldest one loses its magic.

Hipster Dixit
2015-11-25, 06:31 AM
How about that:

Dark Potions
At 6th level you gain an ability to brew the potions that store part of your magical power. You can choose a prepared druid spell of 5th level or less that has self or touch range and doesn't deal damage. You must spend 1 hour to create a potion. You must provide all material components required by spell and additional component - one pound of humanoid flesh. Flesh of one humanoid can be used only for one potion. You can't create another potion until you finish a long rest. Later you can drink it as an action to cast a chosen spell without spending a spell slot and providing any components. If spell has touch range you can cast it only targeting yourself. If other creature drink your potion, it doesn't work. You can create number of potions equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1). If you create more potions, the oldest one loses its magic.

Pretty nice... this makes the cut.

However, it seems that wording is not very clear on this feature. Here is what I understand: you can create WIS potions per long rest. For each potion, you need an hour and a piece of flesh. If you happen to create other potions later, the previous ones become inert. In any case, I think you might want to rewrite this.

To conclude, another suggestion that comes from the top of my head: why not make these potions accessible to others, but with a price? Like, for example, if another creature drinks the potion, it gains levels of exhaustion at the end of duration. I think it really fits the concept of a fairy tale hag.

Kellendros95
2015-11-25, 08:19 AM
Pretty nice... this makes the cut.

However, it seems that wording is not very clear on this feature. Here is what I understand: you can create WIS potions per long rest. For each potion, you need an hour and a piece of flesh. If you happen to create other potions later, the previous ones become inert. In any case, I think you might want to rewrite this.

To conclude, another suggestion that comes from the top of my head: why not make these potions accessible to others, but with a price? Like, for example, if another creature drinks the potion, it gains levels of exhaustion at the end of duration. I think it really fits the concept of a fairy tale hag.

No, you can create only one potion per long rest and WIS potions can exist at the same time. If you create WIS+1 potions, the oldest potion become iner. How it should be written? About other creatures - I think it's good idea.