PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Runecaster[PEACH]

MoleMage
2015-11-23, 09:18 PM
Hey gang, I have started work on this for the 5E base class contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?457600-Base-Class-Contest-I-5E). Give me your thoughts, ideas for Runelore abilities (I'll attribute your screen name in the text), etc!

Googledoc hosted here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uDylG3Hz6s__YxK5pkm1jwmG8a3LxggndLcifkiPXVM/pub).

If you like it, when voting opens, vote for me! Or don't, if you like one of the other entries better. Honorable mention?

MoleMage
2015-11-23, 10:35 PM
EDIT: No longer WIP! The class is, for the most part, complete. I may still add the odd Runelore ability, but aside from alphabetizing the Runelore abilities it's ready for review!

Ivellius
2015-12-01, 01:15 PM
I like the concept and think it looks pretty cool. It's a bit more gated in some ways than the Warlock with the Rune Points; on the other hand, it's similar to a Warlock with *more* options, so that's probably a bad thing. I wonder if having those refresh on a short rest is the best thing for the class; if not, then you'd have to really choose between empowering spells and using your other features. The archetypes also seem a bit fuzzy and indistinct. I like the concept of marking and empowering spells, but juggling three different resources (spell slots, marks, and rune points) might be too much. Might be better served to just convert RPs into spells like the Way of the Elements Monk? Just thinking.

A few thoughts about some of the archetypes / runelores.

Arcane Edge needs a cap on its damage dice.

Battlefield Mage seems really good, though at least it's once per day.

Isn't Dual Arcane Mark already something the class chassis gets at 9th level?

Points of Power also seems really good and should probably cap the spell at 5th level.

Mark of Storing might ought to have a time limit? Seems like it should expire at some point.

There's an argument to be made that Runic Recovery should only be once per day. Warlocks don't get healing spells because they can refresh spell slots so easily.

As another note, things like Malign Mark and Sheltering Mark are fairly strong because marking is relatively easy and doesn't require resources in itself. I like the interaction with marks, but I think overall there's a bit too much going on with this class.