PDA

View Full Version : V's Gender

Setra
2007-06-03, 11:20 PM
First things first, before you try to smite me.. read the following.

I was considering making a V's Gender thread, just for something resembling normalcy.

But I decided against being smote.

/devil

DO IIIT! DO IIIT!

As a warrior of the playground i promise to support any effort to bring back normality... including being a bodyguard...
Second, this is not a thread to prove anything, this is just a thread about what gender YOU think V is.

Personally, I see him as male.

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-03, 11:21 PM

Second, this is not a thread to prove anything, this is just a thread about what gender YOU think V is.

1. Male

2. /claim_soul

Albonor
2007-06-03, 11:23 PM
I always pictured V as female. If we include the players behind the PCs, then she's a female played by a male who doesn't really care about his character's feminity.

EDIT: Go normality!

fwiffo
2007-06-03, 11:24 PM
Oh, yeah?! Well, I double dog dare you to start Miko thread with a tie to V's gender, generous sprinkles of Belkar's alignment discussion, plus throw in a few speculations on Oracle's predictions.

dogmac
2007-06-03, 11:27 PM
Female.

Unless she is the Vaporising Flu turned into flesh.

Setra
2007-06-03, 11:27 PM
1. Male

2. /claim_soul
Ah ha! But I sold my soul for a Klondike bar!

Oh, yeah?! Well, I double dog dare you to start Miko thread with a tie to V's gender, generous sprinkles of Belkar's alignment discussion, plus throw in a few speculations on Oracle's predictions.
I would.... but I actually enjoy V's gender discussion, more than the others.

You could.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-03, 11:30 PM
If someone produces a single known female character without noticeable curves I will give V being female some credit. Until then I just advise people to watch more anime, since it teaches you how stretched "male" can become.

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-03, 11:30 PM
Ah ha! But I sold my soul for a Klondike bar!

I would.... but I actually enjoy V's gender discussion, more than the others.

You could.

Didn't I have something to do with that? I don't remeber. I remember buying someone's soul for a Klondike Bar.

If someone produces a single known female character without noticeable curves I will give V being female some credit. Until then I just advise people to watch more anime, since it teaches you how stretched "male" can become.

V has the same "model" as Zzit'dri or whatever, and we know he's male.

He looks nothing like Lirian, and we know she's female.

Setra
2007-06-03, 11:33 PM
Anime being the reason I see him as male.

Two reasons:
1. Haku is male.. so why not V?
2. If V is male, then I won't be attracted to him, if I thought V was female I might grow attracted to V, and feel ..er.. wrong afterwards.
Didn't I have something to do with that? I don't remeber. I remember buying someone's soul for a Klondike Bar.Nah, I sold my soul to Charon.

Gaelbert
2007-06-03, 11:36 PM

Here's an idea for that: Miko will turn into a blackguard after witnessing V's true gender, which is symbol of insanity. Belkar then falls in love with Miko, making the one person that truly loves Belkar (Durkon) jealous. Durkon then kills Miko, which makes one of the oracle's predictions come true, in that Belkar was responsible for Miko's death. Then Belkar, enraged by the death of his one true love, tries to kill Durkon. Durkon escapes and, now realizing that he isn't exactly lawful or good anymore, decides to ignore Thor's High Priest's demand that Durkon stay away from home. Durkon runs home, and as he is just about to cross the border back into his homeland, is crushed by a falling tree. Durkon rolls into his homeland posthumously, along with the tree. The tree sparks riots among the dwarven people, and lots of people die. I would form a thread about that, but I'm too scared.:smalleek:

Imrahil
2007-06-03, 11:36 PM
Let's hear it for the same old, same old!

Oh, and I think he's male (which is immediately redundant).

jindra34
2007-06-03, 11:37 PM
Female for setra's first reason.

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-03, 11:37 PM
Here's an idea for that: Miko will turn into a blackguard after witnessing V's true gender, which is symbol of insanity. Belkar then falls in love with Miko, making the one person that truly loves Belkar (Durkon) jealous. Durkon then kills Miko, which makes one of the oracle's predictions come true, in that Belkar was responsible for Miko's death. Then Belkar, enraged by the death of his one true love, tries to kill Durkon. Durkon escapes and, now realizing that he isn't exactly lawful or good anymore, decides to ignore Thor's High Priest's demand that Durkon stay away from home. Durkon runs home, and as he is just about to cross the border back into his homeland, is crushed by a falling tree. Durkon rolls into his homeland posthumously, along with the tree. The tree sparks riots among the dwarven people, and lots of people die. I would form a thread about that, but I'm too scared.:smalleek:

DO IIIT! DO IIIT!

Demented
2007-06-03, 11:38 PM
V has no dangling parts.

Whether or not this has any bearing on V's gender, or is simply an aspect of V's elven biology, is presently unknown.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-03, 11:38 PM
Anime being the reason I see him as male.

Two reasons:
1. Haku is male.. so why not V?
2. If V is male, then I won't be attracted to him, if I thought V was female I might grow attracted to V, and feel ..er.. wrong afterwards.Nah, I sold my soul to Charon.

Haku wears outright women's clothing, in another day and age he would have been gender-switched in the dub.

Robes on the other hand are long traditional piece of magery. Heck being red I always assumed V was supposed to be referencing another famous mage seeking arcane power.

Setra
2007-06-03, 11:40 PM
Haku wears outright women's clothing, in another day and age he would have been gender-switched in the dub.

Robes on the other hand are long traditional piece of magery. Heck being red I always assumed V was supposed to be referencing another famous mage seeking arcane power.
Another reason I see him as male.

Men tend to be more power hungry. Reminds me of a thread I made where I compared him to Raistlin.

Ps. Also, I don't think technically Haku was wearing female clothing, it was male's, just pink. I could be wrong though.

Imrahil
2007-06-03, 11:41 PM
Heck being red I always assumed V was supposed to be referencing another famous mage seeking arcane power.

That doesn't help any if you consider the Edwin/Edwina debacle.

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-03, 11:42 PM

Haku is probably one of the most effeminent characters ever.

And V is arguably of true neutral alignment...

Gavin Sage
2007-06-03, 11:44 PM
That doesn't help any if you consider the Edwin/Edwina debacle.

*faceplants* Not the mage I was thinking of, but yes I suppose that is true.....

Gaelbert
2007-06-03, 11:47 PM
DO IIIT! DO IIIT!

Your wish is my command.

Gaelbert
2007-06-03, 11:49 PM
Men tend to be more power hungry. Reminds me of a thread I made where I compared him to Raistlin.

Look at the bunnies V!
I can just imagine V trying to seduce Durkon to get through the gates.:smallbiggrin:

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-03, 11:50 PM
Quick! Someone summon Raistlin-umm-random-numbers-I-can't-remember!

This thread needs the obvious!

Setra
2007-06-03, 11:51 PM
Look at the bunnies V!
I can just imagine V trying to seduce Durkon to get through the gates.:smallbiggrin:
Actually at the time I had considered Miko.

She was still a Paladin then.

teratorn
2007-06-03, 11:52 PM
Well, we had to kill all those kittens seen in the pictures posted on Roland's #460 OOTs thread, so I'm ok with this. I used to think V was female (she shared rooms with Haley, and later even Miko suggested a room for the men and another for herself, Haley and V).

But then I found this picture:

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/tshirtbanner.gif

:elan: V has no boobies!

Gaelbert
2007-06-03, 11:53 PM
That doesn't always mean anything, though.

NeonRonin
2007-06-04, 12:01 AM
Out of curiosity, which Haku are people referring to? The only one that springs to my mind is the Haku from Miyazaki's Spirited Away, and he's fairly obviously male.

As for my personal opinion, I don't think I've ever imagined Vaarsuvius as female; never really crossed my mind until Belkar's line about 'ambiguously gendered pain in my ass' way back in the dungeon of Dorukan.

While it will never be revealed by the Giant, in my mind V is a guy.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-04, 12:04 AM
Out of curiosity, which Haku are people referring to? The only one that springs to my mind is the Haku from Miyazaki's Spirited Away, and he's fairly obviously male.

Your ignorance is extremely refreshing for all the wrong reasons.

This is who we are talking about. (http://hometown.aol.ca/cheriblossom101/images/haku.jpg) (of Naruto fame)

Sage in the Playground
2007-06-04, 12:05 AM

As for my personal opinion, I don't think I've ever imagined Vaarsuvius as female; never really crossed my mind until Belkar's line about 'ambiguously gendered pain in my ass' way back in the dungeon of Dorukan.

While it will never be revealed by the Giant, in my mind V is a guy.

Naruto's Haku.

teratorn
2007-06-04, 12:06 AM
That doesn't always mean anything, though.

Yes, but it shows that the ambiguity doesn't come from the robe. And V would be the only humanoid female lacking in that department in the OOTS universe.

Corwin Weber
2007-06-04, 12:16 AM
Well, we had to kill all those kittens seen in the pictures posted on Roland's #460 OOTs thread, so I'm ok with this. I used to think V was female (she shared rooms with Haley, and later even Miko suggested a room for the men and another for herself, Haley and V).

But then I found this picture:

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/tshirtbanner.gif

Traditionally elven women don't particularly.

Tolkien's elves were actually pretty androgynous too. Elves have less sexual dimorphism than humans do. (Which is more or less the basis of the joke.)

Busty Playboy fantasy hot wood elf chicks are a more modern creation. Everquest was notorious for them.

That having been said, I still sort of have to see V as male for some reason.... and I'm honestly not entirely sure why. Gut reaction I guess.

Vondre
2007-06-04, 12:20 AM
V is male, all the way.

The rooming argument? V rooms with Haley because the two of them are friends, and V is devoted enough to his mate (V's orientation is unspecified as well :smallwink:) to be celibate in his dealings with Haley. And because being in an enclosed space with any of the other party members for an entire night would end with Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion being cast. Repeatedly.

His monologues are all in step with a theatrically-inclined male. I myself have said things much like it. No, I'm not gay. I'm just verbose.

I'm not going to post a counter to every single instance of possible femininity here (is that even a word?), because it's late. And I can't think any more.

teratorn
2007-06-04, 12:21 AM
Traditionally elven women don't particularly.

Lirian is like all other OOTS women in that regard. Saying that I still tend to think of V as a she.

Demented
2007-06-04, 12:22 AM
Yet in that picture, V is wearing a sweater. Real men (and Elan) don't wear sweaters!

EdgarVerona
2007-06-04, 12:24 AM
I do lean toward V being male as well, but for me it's more intuition than any solid evidence... though your points are well made, and I'll gladly use them as well in defense of V being male in the future. ;)

You know though... I wonder if even Rich has decided what gender V is? I was thinking about this a couple strips ago. Perhaps V's schtick is so deeply the fact that he/she is androgenyous that Rich never bothered to come up with a gender for V in his mind.

EDIT: On a semi-related note, are the boards going out of synch or something? The second post in this thread seems to be replying to an earlier poster who's not there... I saw this a few times in some other threads today. Is the message board database becoming corrupted or something, or am I the only one experiencing this?

Setra
2007-06-04, 12:25 AM
I do lean toward V being male as well, but for me it's more intuition than any solid evidence... though your points are well made, and I'll gladly use them as well in defense of V being male in the future. ;)

You know though... I wonder if even Rich has decided what gender V is? I was thinking about this a couple strips ago. Perhaps V's schtick is so deeply the fact that he/she is androgenyous that Rich never bothered to come up with a gender for V in his mind.
Actually, V had originally intended to be male.. but people confused V for female.. and the rest is history.

I can't find proof, but I know it exists somewhere.

Demented
2007-06-04, 12:25 AM
V had a gender initially, and it was probably male. But the androgynity was just so appropriate to the character that the Giant stuck with it. Or so I hear.

EdgarVerona
2007-06-04, 12:28 AM
Actually, V had originally intended to be male.. but people confused V for female.. and the rest is history.

Ah, interesting! I didn't know about that. It's good to know =) Since I started thinking about that possibility, I'd pretty much convinced myself that Rich hadn't actually picked a gender, and perhaps he delighted in our conversations on the subject since V wouldn't really have a gender at all under that scenario. =) Good to know that he at least did have something in mind, at least at one point. =)

Icewalker
2007-06-04, 12:30 AM
I've always seen V as female, personally. I never actually realized there was any argument about it (as I hadn't been to the forums) until reading the comic in Azure City where some wizard calls V 'he'. Not too long after I was on the forums and found out about all this.

Just always felt V was female. Rooming with Haley was one thing, as well as the innuendo in that same discussion.

Gaelbert
2007-06-04, 12:30 AM
I always figured V was female. I never even noticed the ambiguity about it until I visited this forum. The thing that solidifies it for me is during V's rant in OtOotPC, V says that the only reason Roy picked V for the order is something to the effect of that his "masculine mind" required him to to make him feel better about himself or something like that. I can't find it right now, so I don't know the exact words, except for the "masculine mind" part.

Icewalker
2007-06-04, 12:31 AM

I can't find proof, but I know it exists somewhere.

Sorry bout this, but I've looked into it. From my findings, he never had any intention of giving V a gender. Using the wayback machine to look at the site shortly after the first OOTS, in the FAQ the 'what is V's gender' question is answered with something along the lines of "bwahahahah I will never tell".

Setra
2007-06-04, 12:32 AM
I've always seen V as female, personally. I never actually realized there was any argument about it (as I hadn't been to the forums) until reading the comic in Azure City where some wizard calls V 'he'. Not too long after I was on the forums and found out about all this.

Just always felt V was female. Rooming with Haley was one thing, as well as the innuendo in that same discussion.
I did not notice a thing about gender ambiguity until I visited the forums. This made a couple jokes a tad confusing (ie. :nale: He has a clearly established gender role! He really IS an evil opposite!)

V never did anything that struck me as particularly female.

Sorry bout this, but I've looked into it. From my findings, he never had any intention of giving V a gender. Using the wayback machine to look at the site shortly after the first OOTS, in the FAQ the 'what is V's gender' question is answered with something along the lines of "bwahahahah I will never tell".Well I do remember seeing a post where he stated that he had intended for V to be male... I never found it myself, it was quoted by someone else. So maybe it wasn't real.

Corwin Weber
2007-06-04, 12:34 AM
Lirian is like all other OOTS women in that regard. Saying that I still tend to think of V as a she.

Lirian is never shown wearing anything other than a belly shirt and skirt. Much more revealing than V's robes. Even at that she's not much more than an A cup, B at most. And this is for an elf who does have a clearly defined gender identity... in a fiction genre that gave us Boris Valljevo paintings. :)

SurlySeraph
2007-06-04, 12:38 AM
I've always thought V was female, mostly because s/he answers Sabine courteously when she asks "Why are all men such jerks?" Even a neutral-aligned man would get a bit angry there. Her explosive runes policy also strikes me as feminine; a man would just directly go up and blast people for annoying him, instead of tricking them into harming themselves in such a way that she can deny having done anything wrong. ("Technically, I just cast Explosive Runes on a series of inanimate objects.")

Setra
2007-06-04, 12:39 AM
I've always thought V was female, mostly because s/he answers Sabine courteously when she asks "Why are all men such jerks?" Even a neutral-aligned man would get a bit angry there. Her explosive runes policy also strikes me as feminine; a man would just directly go up and blast people for annoying him, instead of tricking them into harming themselves in such a way that she can deny having done anything wrong. ("Technically, I just cast Explosive Runes on a series of inanimate objects.")
Actually, I would have answered her as such

:sabine: Why are all men such jerks?
Me: We're born that way, it's a genetic problem.

Also, I find V's use of explosive runes more fun than simple blasting. And I always state technicalities.

teratorn
2007-06-04, 12:39 AM
A bit of history here. It all started on strip #9!!!! A V gender thread should be called "doing a Bogotter" in honor of the first person to pose the question, on 2003 November 3, 05:02 PM:

Originally posted by Bogotter
LOL! *Good comic. *Reminds me of when James Bull, the minotaur, was turned into a woman by one of those! *

Question though.....I've been thinking this whole time that Vaarsuvius was a female.....but in this last strip he/she was called V-man. *So Vaarsuvius is a guy?

The reply, one day later:

Originally posted by The Giant
I have no problem with Vaarsuvius' sex being ambiguous. He/she is an elf, after all.

All you can infer from the last strip is that *Roy* thinks Vaarsuvious is male. ;)

Gaelbert
2007-06-04, 12:44 AM
What exactly do V's gender threads kill? I know it was written down somewhere.

Setra
2007-06-04, 12:45 AM
What exactly do V's gender threads kill? I know it was written down somewhere.
Well it's probably not catgirls, bunnygirls, doggirls, foxgirls, dragongirls, or a few other things.

They're under my protection :smallcool:

Tulisin
2007-06-04, 12:47 AM
Always thought he was a male, I didn't even know there was a debate until I came to the forums.

Never changed my mind, mostly because the media has drummed into me: "ELVEN CHICKS ARE HAWT WITH BIG BOOBIES", which doesn't describe V at all. Also the power craving thing I see as more of a male wizard, thing, yeah.

EQ's mascot is a *real* female elf wizard:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/6a/EverQuest_Box_Art.jpg

= Not V.

Setra
2007-06-04, 12:51 AM
When I think female elf.. the first thing to pop into my mind is Deedlit.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-06-04, 01:00 AM
Deedlit, oh man haven't thought of lodoss war in a long time =P

Plus, why must it be black or white? Go Red! I say Intersexxed for V

Setra
2007-06-04, 01:02 AM
Deedlit, oh man haven't thought of lodoss war in a long time =P

Plus, why must it be black or white? Go Red! I say Intersexxed for V
Loved that anime.

Also, in another thread, I said V was from transylvania. If you don't get it.. I'll give you a hint :smalltongue:

Cpt. Sqweky
2007-06-04, 01:04 AM
I always figured V was a guy, but there's plenty of evidence to go both ways.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-06-04, 01:06 AM
let's see...

You could be referencing D, as he was pretty androgynous.

Not Alucard from hellsing....

never saw vamp princess myuu

as for elves, can't think of many tolkein anime outside of lodoss. so i go with D

Setra
2007-06-04, 01:09 AM
let's see...

You could be referencing D, as he was pretty androgynous.

Not Alucard from hellsing....

never saw vamp princess myuu

as for elves, can't think of many tolkein anime outside of lodoss. so i go with D
Try thinking about a song..

"I'm just a sweet.."

Corwin Weber
2007-06-04, 01:09 AM
Loved that anime.

Also, in another thread, I said V was from transylvania. If you don't get it.. I'll give you a hint :smalltongue:

I can't decide whether to ask where his whopping great sword and semi-robotic horse are....

Or to say 'So that's what he's wearing under those robes!!! Doesn't that chafe?'

:biggrin:

Froody
2007-06-04, 01:14 AM
I've always thought V was female, mostly because s/he answers Sabine courteously when she asks "Why are all men such jerks?" Even a neutral-aligned man would get a bit angry there.
I think a int-18 wizard is above getting angry because such a remark, especially since Sabine was drunk.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-06-04, 01:15 AM
Sorry, music is no where near my strong point. grrr....:smallamused:

Man, glad I have off tomorrow. Yeah insomnia!

Setra
2007-06-04, 01:17 AM
Sorry, music is no where near my strong point. grrr....:smallamused:

Man, glad I have off tomorrow. Yeah insomnia!
I can't quote the entire song, but here's the line.

"I'm just a sweet transvestite, from transexual transylvania"

If I remember it correctly.

Icewalker
2007-06-04, 01:19 AM
Also really just the trans- in there kinda implies it. I've never heard of this song.

Setra
2007-06-04, 01:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyh4lZtXEOU Here's a video with the song.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-06-04, 01:23 AM
/blink blink.

Oh wow. I'm no where near firing on all cylinders if I missed that word play.

/hangs his head in shame

Setra
2007-06-04, 01:25 AM
/blink blink.

Oh wow. I'm no where near firing on all cylinders if I missed that word play.

/hangs his head in shame
Try sleeping :smalltongue: I find it helps a lot. Or, Coffee.

RedScholarGypsy
2007-06-04, 01:29 AM
Sleep! bah! I don't need no stinkingsssssssssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz...

hehe seulatr

Corwin Weber
2007-06-04, 01:35 AM
Also really just the trans- in there kinda implies it. I've never heard of this song.

You're under 30 aren't you.

:eek:

Corwin Weber
2007-06-04, 01:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyh4lZtXEOU Here's a video with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyB_1wjbc_s

WARNING: THIS IS THE REAL ONE. PROBABLY NOT SAFE FOR WORK. I'M NOT KIDDING. WE'RE TALKING TIM CURRY IN LINGERIE HERE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

David Argall
2007-06-04, 01:47 AM
V's sex is indeterminate for very good story reasons, this threat being a minor one of them. But it gives us room for a vast array of jokes we would have trouble cramming into the comic otherwise. Therefore the sex is and will remain unclear.

Setra
2007-06-04, 01:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyB_1wjbc_s

WARNING: THIS IS THE REAL ONE. PROBABLY NOT SAFE FOR WORK. I'M NOT KIDDING. WE'RE TALKING TIM CURRY IN LINGERIE HERE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
I was trying to spare him :smalltongue:

Corwin Weber
2007-06-04, 01:55 AM
I was trying to spare him :smalltongue:

I've been working on Craft Disturbing Mental Image. :biggrin:

Yeril
2007-06-04, 02:21 AM
I originaly saw him as male and then after a few characters refered to him as female I changed my mind, but I was soon back at male again.

I mainly base my opinion on the fact that all the women in OOTS (spare the annis) have preety much the same body shape.

THATS what a female elf looks like.
V is male.

He'd hit that.

or maybee he already did, elves do live a long time and we don't know anything about V's spouse. :smallamused:

random speculation :smallbiggrin:

David Demola
2007-06-04, 02:28 AM

Wow. A Dragonlance reference? I haven't read those books since I was about 12.

Setra
2007-06-04, 02:32 AM
Wow. A Dragonlance reference? I haven't read those books since I was about 12.
You'll see them ocassionally.

I have one in the media section (Though not titled as such), but no one posted in the thread.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-06-04, 02:48 AM
I'm under 20, never seen the movie, and STILL caught the "Sweet transvestite" referance.

As for the explosive runes and technicality bit:
V is smart, belkar, not so. He enjoys the comedic value of less intelligent creatures looking at something he just wrote, and examining it closely. Its funny to him that he can repeatedly blast Belkar with the same spell in the same way over and over again.
When he uses it on others (See: Miko), its probably another attempt to establish superior intellect.

Technicalities:
"I didn't kill him, bullets and the fall killed him,"

<<EDIT: For my ranting, I forgot to mention that V, in fact, has a Y-chromosone>>

Rincewind
2007-06-04, 02:48 AM
V is male. He's a man. A chap, a cove, a cuss, a guy, herbert, johnny, a sod, a son of a gun... A DUDE.

Pagz
2007-06-04, 03:02 AM
I always assumed V was male, if only because in the first few strips Roy refers to V as "he". Although there was a point where i thought V was female, confusion!

Pagz
2007-06-04, 03:17 AM
Gah, double posted!

Markusdragon
2007-06-04, 03:49 AM
I think it's gender neutral.

Markusdragon
2007-06-04, 03:52 AM
Gah, double posted!

It would appear there's a lot of that going around...

PaladinFreak
2007-06-04, 04:50 AM
Female generally, just because of the whole "I room only with Miss Starshine" thing. But, for some reason, from the beginning, V struck me as female.

basilisk 89
2007-06-04, 05:42 AM
I imagined V as female from the first time I saw him/her, before I knew anything about the unknown gender things (s)he had going on. I will continue to believe V is femle until proven otherwise by Rich.

Rincewind
2007-06-04, 05:46 AM
V is male. I GUARANTEE IT.

evileeyore
2007-06-04, 06:47 AM
Second, this is not a thread to prove anything, this is just a thread about what gender YOU think V is.Vaarsuvius is an Elf.

Not a male.
Not a female.

An Elf.

As such Vaarsuvius transends your petty concepts of gender identity as all Elves do.

Just look at Leggylass...

When I think female elf.. the first thing to pop into my mind is Deedlit.

For me it's Dewshine (http://www.elfquest.com/pubs/bios/Wolfriders/Dewshine.html) or Moonshade (http://www.elfquest.com/pubs/bios/Wolfriders/Moonshade.html). For a more provactive look at Dewshine (http://www.elfquest.com/gallery/images/eq7.jpg)... (it is worksafe)

But then I grew up on the Elfquest...

Even a neutral-aligned man would get a bit angry there. Her explosive runes policy also strikes me as feminine; a man would just directly go up and blast people for annoying him, instead of tricking them into harming themselves in such a way that she can deny having done anything wrong.That you probably believe this makes me sad.

:frown:

What exactly do V's gender threads kill? I know it was written down somewhere.Braincells.

Welcome to advanced senility.

Finn Solomon
2007-06-04, 06:49 AM
V is female, because if V is male the Order of the Stick would resemble the Scissor Sisters, with 5 guys and 1 girl. And that is not a good thing.

NeonRonin
2007-06-04, 07:53 AM
Your ignorance is extremely refreshing for all the wrong reasons.

This is who we are talking about. (http://hometown.aol.ca/cheriblossom101/images/haku.jpg) (of Naruto fame)

You'll have to excuse me; I haven't been watching/reading/collecting Naruto for several reasons. One, I'm a bit selective when it comes to the anime I buy. Two, I have OTHER expenses besides my hobbies so I can't always AFFORD to be up to date on the 'latest fashions' in fandom. I am so very sorry my in-depth knowledge of select anime series isn't quite as extensive as that of some people around here. :mad:

Gavin Sage
2007-06-04, 08:12 AM
You'll have to excuse me; I haven't been watching/reading/collecting Naruto for several reasons. One, I'm a bit selective when it comes to the anime I buy. Two, I have OTHER expenses besides my hobbies so I can't always AFFORD to be up to date on the 'latest fashions' in fandom. I am so very sorry my in-depth knowledge of select anime series isn't quite as extensive as that of some people around here. :mad:

I mangled that sentence badly. That there are people who like anime but don't follow Naruto in detail is something that I find extremely refreshing since in my anime circles it tends to be the elephant in the room. It gives me hope that a lackluster series will eventually fade.

Sorry,:smallfrown:

Markusdragon
2007-06-04, 08:38 AM
V is female, because she is willing to talk about relationships... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0223.html)

Parasocrates
2007-06-04, 09:20 AM
Like many people, I did not realize there was any question about V's gender when I started reading the comic (I thought V was male). Since then, I have continued to think of V as male, because I identify with V and I am male.

For the sake of my gender identity, I have to believe...:smalleek:

titan_monarch
2007-06-04, 12:11 PM
V's Character Sheet:

Name: Vaarsuvius
Race: Elf
Alignment: Male

See, it was all just a simple mix-up at character creation.

ail
2007-06-05, 08:36 AM
Hi all,

this is actually my first post here, but since I've been following OOTS for a long time, it was bound to happen.

I've always seen V as female, and I always thought it was more interesting to me...

Although I still think of V as 'her', the giant clearly thinks otherwise, as you can see in the thread where he explains the battle between Miko and the OOTS.

I'm sorry but I couldn't find the link, but Rich consistently refers to Varsuvius with 'him' and 'his'. Not once does he use 'her'.

Alex

teratorn
2007-06-05, 08:43 AM
I'm sorry but I couldn't find the link, but Rich consistently refers to Varsuvius with 'him' and 'his'. Not once does he use 'her'.
Alex

Yes, but he also explained he did it for making things easier. It was either that or writing "the wizard" all the time.

Thormag
2007-06-05, 09:06 AM
Male.

Hmm... when I saw this picture I just knew the truth.

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6790/theproofyl7.jpg
That's a guy's expression wouldn't I know!

Nah, to tell the truth I've always believed in V as a male.

Lupus Major
2007-06-05, 09:21 AM
The guy is called Vaarsuvius, -us being the major male ending in (ancient) Latin. Sure, this isn't a Roman comic, so the evidence isn't decisive. Still, in the beginning, I was sure he was male, and only when people started making comments about hir (shudder) ambiguous gender, I realized there was something to talk about.

Actually, I think his behavior so far is entirely in keeping with him being male. OK, he shares room with Haley, but that may be due to organizational reasons: A 5-1 ratio is bad for ordering rooms, an he is the only one in a committed relationship, so he's unlikely to make a pass on her. Granted, Durkon is equally unlikely, but which self-respecting girl would want a smelly drinking dwarf in her room, especially one who keeps ROLLING 4s ALL NIGHT...

Additionally, he may be one of the unhappy "best friend"-kind of people. You know what I mean, right?

All the other remaining evidence that V might be female: I just don't see it. All the things he does could be done by any number of males I know (OK, that means they would be willing to do them if they could cast Explosive Runes).

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-05, 09:56 AM
I've always thought of V as male, and this is why:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s160/Tolkien_Freak/vvslirian.png

I've never actually figured out why since we've seen Lirian, people still think V is female. There's an obvious difference between him and the confirmed female.

And of course the name Vaarsuvius also says 'male' - if he was female, it'd be Vaarsuvia, androgynous would be Vaarsuvium.

Victor Thorian
2007-06-05, 09:58 AM
So, is Vaarsuvius a playa?

heh hah hoh. I was suprised that there were people who mistook him for a female though.

Basalock
2007-06-05, 10:17 AM
I'm under 20, never seen the movie, and STILL caught the "Sweet transvestite" referance.

basalock got it at 15 never saw(thank you god) the movie

Finn Solomon
2007-06-05, 10:40 AM
I've always thought of V as male, and this is why:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s160/Tolkien_Freak/vvslirian.png

I've never actually figured out why since we've seen Lirian, people still think V is female. There's an obvious difference between him and the confirmed female.

And of course the name Vaarsuvius also says 'male' - if he was female, it'd be Vaarsuvia, androgynous would be Vaarsuvium.

V could be wearing, like, really roomy robes that do not reveal the presence of boobs.

Grizzt
2007-06-05, 11:05 AM
Sorry, I am ignorant on how to quote, but who said "I didn't kill him, bullets and the fall killed him" and in what movie?

V is male and that's why:
Wizardy is generally manly
Hunger for Destruction ditto
Plus most DnD players I know are male and generally play male characters (or elves who try desperately not to be homosexual)

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-05, 11:06 AM
V could be wearing, like, really roomy robes that do not reveal the presence of boobs.

That would be... surprising at the least. You'd see SOMETHING.

dehro
2007-06-05, 11:07 AM
I agree with the tolkien freak...

but ...:smallfrown: :smalleek: this could mean that belkar is actually gay...and has inconsciously recognized the "maleness" of V.

oooooooh...disturrrrbing!

Tolkien_Freak
2007-06-05, 11:10 AM
I agree with the tolkien freak...

but ...:smallfrown: :smalleek: this could mean that belkar is actually gay...and has inconsciously recognized the "maleness" of V.

oooooooh...disturrrrbing!

He was drunk. People do strange things when they're drunk, especially THAT drunk.
Besides, V explained the whole phenomenon anyway. V switched from 'hate' in Belkar's mind, and the only place for him to go was 'lust'.

...hmm, is Belkar slightly retarded?

dehro
2007-06-05, 11:18 AM
He was drunk. People do strange things when they're drunk, especially THAT drunk.
Besides, V explained the whole phenomenon anyway. V switched from 'hate' in Belkar's mind, and the only place for him to go was 'lust'.

so you're actually putting your money on the insight of an androginous elf into the mind of a sex-crased, balding barbarian hobbit with a penchant for useless violence?

Spiryt
2007-06-05, 11:26 AM
That would be... surprising at the least. You'd see SOMETHING.

If he is she, she can just have small boobs. And robes often are realy roomy things check this (http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/mabs_robes_website_edit.jpg)

Spiryt
2007-06-05, 11:32 AM

Whole V theory is crap, developed beacuse he doesn't like Belkar ( wonder why :smallbiggrin:?).
Belkar kissed him beacuse he was drunk, and anyway has no idea (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0177.html) what gender is V.

Seriously i think that those topics are little tiring. I also think that V is rather guy than lady, but there is no proof.

Chronos
2007-06-05, 02:10 PM
The person in this comic most qualified on matters of humanoid sexuality can't even figure out what V's gender is. Back when the Linear Guild was looking for a new mage (252 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0252.html)), Sabine refers to em as "the elf dude", but when she's in the bar despondent over Nale "cheating" on her (358 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html)), she addresses em as "Sister". If even an evil incarnation of illicit sex can't tell whether Vaarsuvius is male or female, I think that's pretty good evidence that e's neither.

SurlySeraph
2007-06-05, 02:27 PM
That you probably believe this makes me sad.

Hey, women are almost always far more subtle about getting at people than men are. Explosive Runes is to Fireball as spreading a rumor is to strolling up to someone and punching him in the groin. Can men be subtle? Of course they can, I know a few who are. Can women be direct? Of course they can, I know a lot who are. But in general, girls try to harm people they dislike in ways that won't reflect badly on them or make them look crude and boys try to harm people they dislike in a way that shows off their strength. In fact, Vaarsuvius's frequent use of both subtle and direct methods (Mass Enlarge person at the very last second as subtle, all the Fireballs and Lightnigns s/he tosses around as direct) could be taken as further obfuscation of his/her gender.

evileeyore
2007-06-05, 02:42 PM
Hey, women are almost always far more subtle about getting at people than men are. Explosive Runes is to Fireball as spreading a rumor is to strolling up to someone and punching him in the groin. Can men be subtle? Of course they can, I know a few who are. Can women be direct? Of course they can, I know a lot who are. But in general, girls try to harm people they dislike in ways that won't reflect badly on them or make them look crude and boys try to harm people they dislike in a way that shows off their strength. In fact, Vaarsuvius's frequent use of both subtle and direct methods (Mass Enlarge person at the very last second as subtle, all the Fireballs and Lightnigns s/he tosses around as direct) could be taken as further obfuscation of his/her gender.First:
Stereotypes are bad.

Second:
Vaarsuvius is about as subtle as a ham-handed spellcaster could be.

1 - Make Belkar feel bad? Cast a spell to alter his feelings.
2 - Get back at Belkar for a momentary embarrassment? Explosive Runes all day long.
3 - Party acts in a manner you disaprove of? Vaguely threaten Party Leader with Disintegrate.

The casting of Enlarge Person at the last moment was not subtle. It was conservation of power. The spell only lasts so long. Also it makes the "low brow Warrior" trying to tell you how to do your job look like an ass.

Overpowered Special Effects and Destruction: Bat Guano and Sulphur
Making your foes and allies look foolish and weak: Priceless...

By 99% of Vaarsuvius' behavior I would join the "Vaarsuvius is a guy" crowd.

Granted I would figure V is either gay (hello? Elf.) or very, very, very secure in his masculinity and that Haley was very, very, very, trusting in her friend.

SurlySeraph
2007-06-05, 03:13 PM
Stereotypes are bad, yes, but men and women aren't identical. I'm noting how people I know tend to act, this doesn't apply to everyone.

1. I thought V was just trying to make Belkar be more sympathetic to Elan. This is, after all, about the only time Belkar expresses love to anyone.
2. This seems more vindictive than unsubtle, but point taken.
3. Point taken.

Overpowered Special Effects and Destruction: Bat Guano and Sulphur
Making your foes and allies look foolish and weak: Priceless...

Point very much taken

Okay, this thread has changed my mind. V is most likely male.

David Argall
2007-06-05, 03:15 PM
V is both or neither sex, depending on the need of the comic at the moment. The definite conclusion is inconclusive.

Zhrec
2007-06-05, 03:48 PM
At the begining I though that V is female, now I have no idea,

Alenida
2007-06-05, 07:19 PM
Yes, but it shows that the ambiguity doesn't come from the robe. And V would be the only humanoid female lacking in that department in the OOTS universe.

On the other hand, that t-shirt is kind of baggy. To be fair, I don't think that people should use visual clues, because I think if it were that obvious, then the party, at least, would be able to tell V's gender. Personally, I think V is actually neither male nor female, but instead some strange elven gender which exists only in OOTS-land! Well, not really, but I still can't make up my mind:smallwink: :smallwink:

Alenida
2007-06-05, 07:32 PM
Like many people, I did not realize there was any question about V's gender when I started reading the comic (I thought V was male). Since then, I have continued to think of V as male, because I identify with V and I am male.

For the sake of my gender identity, I have to believe...:smalleek:

Now that's interesting. Because I've just been thinking more about it and realized that I think of V as more female because I identify with her and I am female!:smallbiggrin:

Setra
2007-06-05, 07:41 PM
V is female, because she is willing to talk about relationships... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0223.html)
I'll have you know I talk about relationships all the time :smallmad:

With both males and females.

Spiryt
2007-06-05, 07:47 PM
Setra, you are evil man.
You brought this topic back to life.

I'll have you know I talk about relationships all the time

But you alreadu pay the price :smallbiggrin:
Stereotypes are flying around and hit everybody.

Spiryt
2007-06-05, 07:49 PM
Setra, you are evil man.

I'll have you know I talk about relationships all the time

Stereotypes are flying around and can hit everybody.

Setra
2007-06-05, 07:53 PM
Setra, you are evil man.

Stereotypes are flying around and hit everybody.
Check the original post. I was actually told to bring it back.

Spiryt
2007-06-05, 07:55 PM
Check the original post. I was actually told to bring it back.

Does this mean that Jindra will cut me down now :smallbiggrin: ?

dakiwiboid
2007-06-05, 09:43 PM

This still seems like thread necromancy to me. Sigh.

Setra
2007-06-05, 09:55 PM
This still seems like thread necromancy to me. Sigh.
Thread necromancy is posting in an old topic.

I made a new one.

Also, mine is not to prove one way or the other. Just to see what people think. As it is impossible to prove.