View Full Version : [Empire 2!] Dr. Dranzel’s Spectacular Travelling Troupe

Dracolon
2015-11-24, 01:51 AM
Dr. Dranzel’s Spectacular Travelling Troupe ~ Fall of 106 by the Aenic Calendar

The fraud investigation committee weaved its way through the tents and wagons of the traveling caravan. The five members ringed by just under a dozen guards of mixed role had a hard time fitting in some of the narrower walkways that had been established in the minor chaos the had filled the slim mountain pass almost wall to wall. Finally they reached a clearing around a large tent which some of the troupe’s members had indicated a leader of sorts might be found. The procession paused at the edge of the clearing the five members inspecting one another and holding a council of sorts before continuing.

The Arch-Druid Nahuel stood tallest, and was the only ceratogaulus of the group. His orange-red horns matched the dots riddling his ash gray fur. The accent color reminding some of the autumn leaves that covered the region during this time of the year. As with most ceratogaulus he wore only a pair of baggy fur shorts, the engraved staff of his office used more to aid in his steps then the show it was meant for.

The shamans were represented by two elder spotted nitent’oculis called Ezekiel and Maddox. It was hard to tell them apart beneath their deer bone masks and thick fur robes, but they were actually husband and wife and enjoyed that sort of confusion on their identities. The robes chosen for today were painted with tribal patterns depicting the King’s hunt in Elacervus’ Run the sky blue markings standing out on the brown cow fur.

The two nobles the trio of religious folk had been working with over the years were sisters, Tamika and Tilly Proudclaw. Tuft-eared ladies that had been entrusted with the position by their father Garth, the lord over the Northern parts of the region. Naturally this meant most of the guards watching them were from the Proudclaw’s family barracks and wore heavy leather armor common for the region which was stamped and painted with the family crest. The ladies themselves were wearing the popular fashion of the time, tanned leather hinting skirts and tight archer’s vests covered with a thick fur cloak. Each wore a hunting knife on their belt and looked the part of the noble hunters the leadership of the land was seen as.

Tamika spoke first in the local tongue which sounded to outsiders like a series of growls, groans, and soft yowls, ^Elder Nahuel, you will take the lead on this one, your mastery of the trade tongue may prove invaluable.^ Her younger sister Tilly added more just to make her presence known, ^And make sure to ask about the taxes. Sure fraud on the gullible commoner kittens is a tragedy but fraud to the crown is another matter entirely.^

The two shamans merely nodded their consent to the plan. So far the day had started out like any other investigation day, a starting dose of the two sisters playing on their nobility with each trying to prove their leadership skill while the pair of shamans practiced hiding which was which through silence and matching attire.

Nahuel took a deep slow bow before responding, ^I will do my best to make you noble ladies proud. Might I note that we are here to see what might be learned of this witch’s methods should they prove useful as well? Knowledge is an invaluable commodity as well and might garner a greater reward then a few extra coins.^ The shamans let out a chuff in agreement to his words and the sisters mulled on the advice for a moment before Tilly’s young inpatient nature took hold, ^I am sure you’ll do fine. Let us get this over with quickly I don’t want to be stuck in the pass after dark.^

Suppressing a chuckle Nahuel nodded and turned tapping the sergeant lightly the sign to break open the defensive formation. The ring of guards parted after the command was passed along and the five spread out like a wing of birds, arch druid at the head, noble ladies to his left and right, with shamans at the flanks, the quintuple’s backs well protected by the now half circle of guards.

Speaking clearly towards the tent the Nahuel spoke in the common trade tongue, “Greetings, is Dr. Dranzel or one of his representatives in. The crown sends it greetings and regards, and we the King’s voice from the Commerce Council of Elacervus’ Run are here to discuss matters of the realm with you.”

QuintonBeck
2015-11-24, 03:07 PM
The crowd, a mix of patrons from Western Aladar and Conlarbores and the traveling entertainers of the troupe kept a healthy distance from the circle of officials. More than a few of the troupe's entertainers had a history with local law, likely nothing that would have them hung or even recognized by this much more high rank appearing squad but none of them wished to test that theory. Locals likewise seemed to prefer hurrying past the circle onto another part of the carnival. The voice of the Arch-Druid carried over the din of so many people in the pass and the opening to the tent rustled for a moment and a peek seemed to be had to look on who was outside and a moment later a human man came bursting out of the tent, throwing his arms wide open in a sign of goodwill.

He was a middle aged gentleman whose top of his head was covered in a square cloth purple hat hung with golden tassles. A thick black beard tied in the knots and patters worn by Drimma and many humans in Western Aladar hung from his chin and mingled with the black curly hairs of his chest, exposed by the plunging neckline of his purple and gold baggy shirt. He wore loose baggy pants of black and gold striping tucked into tall boots with a severe heel that gave him an additional three inches easily.

"Greetings! Greetings! Welcome to Dr. Dranzel's Spectacular Traveling Troupe! What can Dr. Dranzel do for you fine representatives of the King today?"

The man's voice was loud and bombastic, something that would be expected from the host and leader of a band of traveling entertainers. But there was something in his smile and practiced charm that made him seem dishonest. Whether this was a dishonesty to cover a particular lie or a general persona to cover a lifetime of them was difficult to tell.

Dracolon
2015-11-25, 06:28 AM
Nahuel apprised the man as he stepped out, in the recent past the five members of the committee had encountered all sorts of liars and scam artists and this man that had come before them tickled the hairs on the back of his neck and set him on his guard.

Sure the short exchange was no reason to judge him as con on his tone alone but he could hear the subtle shifting in the shamans behind him as they picked up on the same unsettling feeling. Reminding him of the honest carpenter who was working hard to turn his life around that they had investigated in the spring before and how his voice had set them on edge much the same he dismissed most of his gut instinct and continued on as was his duty.

“Dr. Dranzel, we have been sent by the local lord to discuss some complaints that have reached his ears. I am sorry we could not meet under kinder circumstances but our work keeps us busy in the Run, much as it has brought us here on this fine day.” Pausing to retrieve a scroll from his belt mounted case he cleared his throat softly, the rustle of rolled parchment followed as he orated the official dispatch penned in Tilly’s careful hand.

“The Commerce Committee has been sent to the Blackspire Pass in all haste to discern the state of the encampment setup there. The noble house of Proudclaw has offered this assistance after a report of fraud from a local land holder. During preliminary investigations with locals who have attended the event it was found most patrons were pleased with their experiences, however a common feeling that prices may be set overly high was noted. Taxes have not yet been received for use of lands owned by Lord Proudclaw, however payment is not due until the caravan has moved on or the turning of the year, whichever occurs first. The claim of most concern is that originally reported to his lordship, a young leatherworker injured in a tanning accident last year was promised the return of his mangled limb to its original state. His claim stated that a well-known member of the traveling troupe known as ‘The Witch’ was paid a sum equal to almost two years of his income for the restoration. At the time of preliminary investigations the Commerce Committee can confirm the limb was not in any notable fashion repaired but not the sum paid or the contract agreed upon. The committee has traveled to receive the ‘Witches’ statement on the events, and inspect her craft for signs of fraud against the people of Conlarbores.”

Rolling the parchment back before placing the decree in his case the Arch-Druid returned his gaze to the doctor. He tried to give the man a soft smile, but humans often had a hard time reading ceratogaulus, “Once we get this small issue cleared up I am sure you will have no reason to attract further attention from the crown.”

QuintonBeck
2015-11-25, 10:25 PM
The man's eyes sparked with the light of a pupil who knew the answer to a teacher's question at mention of taxes and he seemed prepared to interject but the Arch Druid continued and his enthusiasm turned dour. At the mention of the witch he drew up, casting a glance over the left shoulder of the Arch Druid towards another part of the carnival.

"Ah, heh heh, yes, of course, the witch..." Dranzel smiled with practiced ease, "I am afraid I am the mere representative of my employees. Certainly I manage a few, but the witch you speak of is a private contractor, recently acquired in eastern Western Aladar. A strange description of a location, yes? Heh heh. So you see, I cannot speak for her behalf nor for any contracts made by her, yes? However! I can take you to her tent that you might speak with her directly? If this would be agreeable I can show you the way."

((Assuming they agree))

As the group walked Dranzel gave smiling nods to concerned looking performers, or those who simply raised a quizzical eye at the ringleader's new associates.

"I started this circus only three years ago, you know? I traveled with another circus before, I am a fire eater and a sword swallower, you see. But the owner ended up suffering a nasty fall. Balancing on two barrels of ale as he was, and the circus looked to be falling apart. Well, I had my savings and my fellows were in need of work so I started my own troupe, yes? We've been growing ever since, only just now of any great prominence. The witch actually came to us, did you know? She came right to me and asked to sign. Of course! I said, because I know better than to refuse a witch, even over the objections of Mertra, my wife you see? She said witches were bad luck but we've only prospered since she came along. Of course, I may be returning to an upset wife, yes? But let us hope not, neither of us wants trouble here I hope?"

As he finished and before the Arch Druid could answer the group stepped out into a clearing centered around a single squat tent. It didn't look large enough to fit four people and was made of a drab gray cloth that set it apart from the wonderous colors of other tents and the clothing of the performers.

"Well here she is, yes? I will go in and ask she speaks with you. She is a might temperamental I should advise heh heh."

With a wink Dranzel scurried over to the tent and stepped inside. A full minute passed before the flap turned outward and a frail looking woman, or at least, what was presumably a woman stepped out. She was covered head to toe in gray rags that covered any features. Her race was unidentifiable as was her exact age though she walked with a cane and a shaky step that suggested great age.

"I don't sign contracts, now go away," a haggard voice emitted from the bundle of rags and the form turned to head back into the tent.

Dracolon
2015-11-26, 02:22 AM
Nahuel nodded with a short acceptance of the offer and they were soon off using the presence of the group to part the crowd quickly they made their way towards the witches abode with subtle haste. As they group walked towards the witches tent, Nahuel could hear the two sisters exchanging soft inaudible whispers to each other while the shamans were maintaining the act of silent observers in their masks. Nahuel did not worry that the doctor seemed intent on a one sided conversation, after all as the only member of the committee that was ceratogaulus he was used to listening more than speaking.

He had desired to mention that if taxes were paid on time that he was sure there would be no trouble at all for the entertainers since the people had been enjoying the festivities so much. The opportunity lost as the doctor pulled away to retrieve the witch. As the old woman exited the tent the five silently apprised her, normally their work involved younger people trying to earn too much too quickly. The woman would be an honored elder in a ceratogaulus family, one the arch-druid would be ashamed to question even if duty demanded it.

He almost let those feeling lead his actions as the woman turned to leave he could not bring himself to speak until the shamans cleared their throats in unison. Stirred from his reverence of the elder he managed to speak before she had taken more than a step or two back towards the tent.

“Honored Elder, I am sorry to disturb you this fine day, I must however demand a little more of your time on this. Without a contract to prove either side, it will be up to the five of us to debate your future. If you could provide us with insight on the procedure or ritual you preformed for the young man, it may help sway our discussion.”

Tilly tapped her crossed arms impatiently behind him, unhappy words just loud enough for him to hear spilled from her young mouth, the question directed towards her sister, ^Why does he show her such respect? She looks like a mongrel.^ Tamika nearly hissed her quick reply through clenched teeth, ^It is the ceratogulus way. Also they may speak our tongue so hush.^

Nahuel did his best to ignore the sisters, especially since now was not the time for a lesson on proper conduct but rather a display of it. He opened his hands in front of him palms towards he witch displaying his lack of weapons, it was the respectful way to greet someone in Hortis culture and doubled as a declaration of peaceful intent. “I implore you honored elder, will you help us to clear up this misunderstanding?”

QuintonBeck
2015-11-27, 10:10 PM
The woman turned around and turned to look at the Doctor who offered only a shrug and sheepish smile.

"You said they'd come about a broken contract Dranzel," the raspy voice of the old woman hissed out in a loud whisper, "Now they want a free service?"
"
"Madame, please, I do not wish to have bad blood, yes? This is bad for busin-"

"Bah! Ignorant buffoon!" with a wave of her free hand the Dr. was silenced and the haggard form turned towards the ceratogulus, "Only one," she held up a gnarled and crooked finger, wrapped in dirty gauze, "One may enter and see the ritual. Only one, and payment must be rendered. It is the way."

She stood there expectantly and Dranzel turned to give the group a sideways look but remained silence.

Dracolon
2015-12-08, 04:10 AM
Nahuel pondered the situation, only one would be allowed in. Given the Nobles reactions he did not expect them to make a good judgement, and the shamans were unlikely to separate for any length of time. It looked as though the task fell to him, besides as head of this investigation the responsibility was already present.

“Honored Elder, I will go. We can discuss the cost inside yes?” With his words he took a step towards the tent. The sergeant made a move to join him but Nahuel did not want to argue with the witch more and waved the boy off. Almost to the witch he gave her the best gentle smile he could muster and waited for her gesture and motion.

Nahuel followed her in to the tent and stopped just inside as the heavy flap closed behind him with a muted slap. As his eyes adjusted to the dim lights he took in his surroundings before asking further questions, “Elder, what is this ritual intended to do? And, what kind of payment do you need, Hortis coin or otherwise?”