PDA

View Full Version : What mundane gear should I make sure to start with for Pathfinder?

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-24, 02:56 AM
What's shakin, late night Giantitp?

I'm going to be starting a Kingmaker campaign on these very forums and I like to know what think would be smart to bring along to explore the Greenbelt.

If it matters the party contains a Swordlord Fighter, A Diva Bard, A Psychic, An Unchained Summoner, A Spirit Guide LOracle (me), an Unchained Rogue, and a Paladin.

avr
2015-11-24, 03:10 AM
Rope. You always want rope. And as you'll be exploring you need the means to carry a fair bit of food; if you're a caster oracle with a strength of 10 or so and you're first level that means you need a beast of burden along, possibly one shared with other party members.

There are a bunch of other things which may be useful, but how much actual starting cash do you have?

khadgar567
2015-11-24, 03:15 AM
agreed with above but also take some antidotes since you are ruling kingdom its always good to have some antidotes in quick reach

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-24, 03:16 AM
I've actually got 14 str and a masterwork backpack so I can hold a few thing on my person. I believe on of my part members has bout a mule though so its there if i need it.

Currently I've got a bed roll, a blanket, soap, a butterfly net, a compass, 50' silk rope, a waterskin, 5 days of trail rations, 2 bottles of wine and 15 gold.

I can, however, return some of my gear for its gold value as we haven't started yet.

I agree that rope is rad as hell though.

OH dang, no spoilers please please please btw.

Florian
2015-11-24, 03:44 AM
Packing a Trolls Slayers Kit is always gold well spent.

avr
2015-11-24, 04:32 AM
A 'fair bit of food' is a couple of weeks IMO; 5 days won't cut it. I don't think it's a spoiler to say the map's bigger than that.

It doesn't have to be you but someone in the party should have a grappling hook to go with their rope. As an oracle I hope you have a holy symbol of your favourite god to use as a divine focus. I usually try to keep a means of leaving a written message on hand, and at least one flask of something alchemical to help deal with swarms. Normally a bag of caltrops (later, some magical (http://archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Caltrop%20Bead Iron) or alchemical (http://archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Shard%20gel) substitute) too.

Alchemical remedies would be nice to have but they're out of your price range at the mo.

Spore
2015-11-24, 04:52 AM
As an oracle I hope you have a holy symbol of your favourite god to use as a divine focus.

Why would you say that?

Oracles do not need to provide a divine focus to cast spells that list divine focus (DF) as part of the components.

Carry fuel, like Lamp Oil. Survival needs shelter, possible warmth, also laying a giant fire is an effective way to shorten your 1-2 fights. Also swarms are immune to most things your group can offer. Keep in mind you are murderhobos adventurers. Setting things on fire is your third favorite pastime after looting and killing.

Âmesang
2015-11-24, 06:53 AM
Buy empty sacks. "You find 10,000 cp!" "Great! We take it!" "How?"

Depending on one's alignment you might consider filling a tiny sack with crushed glass to toss into a foe's eyes.

FocusWolf413
2015-11-24, 09:11 AM
You need more than 50' of rope. Try 300'.

Psyren
2015-11-24, 09:32 AM
Handy Haversack Pack (https://78462f86-a-abd8972e-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/geekindustrialcomplex.com/www/downloads/files-page/handyhaversackpackv1.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cp2v3LuX8 zLG5FkB9T_DLLtHm7Imk1hqqcKpUbbX-n3Zdk28us0GBOZ2LurdGaf-bAw2ljgxVSakLIONDF-LXQ3HqY20Nf89FGUbcmAZq-qut-4Tknr4cLrkuefgYf8cM_jKTLB7iLGbB6Wr-4X7LlJimXWiN2cDpJNpqTOlZxhFcG2XItpm5LwZrJPdB7-_Hc0jItrWm-SQwBEkE8scFRR61f6Zq9eZDvKFnVqVRIF8NyLeW59QsYccdodt 9y7Kw-58LE7&attredirects=1)

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-24, 11:22 AM
Awesome advice all around.

I've got darkvision (ifrit) so I figured a lantern would be unnecessary. I've got the spark cantrip so I figured starting fires ain't no thang.

I'm definitely taking more food if you guys think that 5 days is not enough.

I've got the mage hand cantrip so I thought that a grappling hook would be unnecessary. I think the group collectively has about 300' feet of rope.

Caltrops totally acquired.

Psyren, that's a great link, thanks for posting it.

Recherché
2015-11-24, 01:14 PM
So I'm playing the psychic in question but I will say that I'd consider grabbing a second tent so that wore than two people in the party are protected from the weather. Also possibility cold weather gear given that we are heading out an area that gets really snowy in the winter during the equivalent of February.

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-24, 03:04 PM
So I'm playing the psychic in question but I will say that I'd consider grabbing a second tent so that wore than two people in the party are protected from the weather. Also possibility cold weather gear given that we are heading out an area that gets really snowy in the winter during the equivalent of February.

Tent!

That makes so much sense that I feel like a dingus for not grabbing one to begin with.

Ok just just ran through the sheets and only Darvan (the rogue) has an appreciable Survival score...

Recherché
2015-11-24, 03:06 PM
That may screw us over a bit. Well at least we're all too pretty to die. But yeah we should probably grab extra rations since only one of us can live off the land with any degree of skill.

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-24, 03:13 PM
Hmmmmm. I may end up grabing Abstemiousness (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/abstemiousness).

Recherché
2015-11-24, 03:42 PM
Another possibility would be Purify Food and Drink. Its a cantrip so you can cast it as often as necessary and it lets us eat stuff that's normally poisonous, as well as drink bad water.

Troacctid
2015-11-24, 04:12 PM
You have a compass, but don't forget a map. Everyone always forgets that maps are a thing. A sextant doesn't hurt either, if your character knows how to use one.

1Freakinninja
2015-11-24, 05:14 PM
Shovels? For burying the literal thousands of people your going to be killing all across the kingdom! :)

But seriously, you never know when something good might be under ground, especially in a sea fairing campaign. Good to hide things not on your person, digging a hole can make a trench thus cover, as well as manually make a pitfall trap

We could also use some equipment for getting food, as well as cooking it. I could summon a dog to help. with the survival thing, it can sniff out the food and then we kill said food. Flint and steel I think everyone has... you know if worse comes to worse I could just.... summon.... food...

Oh! There are bear traps!

csmeek
2015-11-24, 07:18 PM
I'm the paladin, yeah I brought a mule and a fishing net and a folding ladder and whatever comes with the paladin's kit. Was wondering if I needed to trade anything out?

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-24, 07:40 PM
A Map! That is a damn fine idea.

I know Delci's got us covered in the shovel department.

Csmeek, do you think we'll need a folding ladder if we have rope and grappling hooks?

1Freakinninja
2015-11-24, 08:06 PM
*digs random holes with big smile* I'M HELPING! :)

FocusWolf413
2015-11-24, 09:16 PM
Instead of caltrops, get two 2×5 mats with nails sticking up out of one end, and cover it with a ghille material. They're more dangerous and reusable.

CockroachTeaParty
2015-11-24, 09:20 PM

I once ran a Kingmaker game and kept track of the weather and temperature. If you can get to the settlement-building part before winter, good, because it's actually quite dangerous to tromp around in the cold for long periods of time without magic such as Endure Elements.

My group wound up just staying home during the winter (and yes, the campaign will take place over the course of years).

1Freakinninja
2015-11-24, 09:24 PM
So, late game we might have to buy winter gear in bulk. Because who wants to be inside all the ti- OH MY GAWD THAT MEANS THERE MIGHT BE SANTA CLAUS THEMED ENCOUNTERS!!!!! MULTIPLE TIMES!!!!

csmeek
2015-11-24, 09:41 PM
Csmeek, do you think we'll need a folding ladder if we have rope and grappling hooks?

No, I don't think so, and with the gold that frees up I could get some extra rations, and if we find any rivers we could get the rogue to fish us up some stuff and dry for transport.

1Freakinninja
2015-11-24, 09:44 PM
In all honesty I am fully out of money, maybe I could get rid of my summoner kit to get some money

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-24, 09:56 PM
No, I don't think so, and with the gold that frees up I could get some extra rations, and if we find any rivers we could get the rogue to fish us up some stuff and dry for transport.

Oh man, we better be super nice to Darvan cause we're gonna be relying on that guy hardcore.

In all honesty I am fully out of money, maybe I could get rid of my summoner kit to get some money

Whats in the summoner's kit?

Recherché
2015-11-24, 10:02 PM
Lessee the summoners kit has "This kit includes a backpack, a bedroll, a belt pouch, a flint and steel, an iron pot, a mess kit, soap, torches (10), trail rations (5 days), and a waterskin."

You definitely need the backpack, bedroll, trail rations and waterskin. the belt pouch is nice but not necessary, other people have flint and steel and/or its cantrip equivalent, I have a pot, a mess kit would be nice but again not absolutely necessary, the soap might be appreciated by the rest of the party but is not strictly speeking necessary and I have light as a cantrip so you probably don't need the torches.

Edit: Also do you already have a spell component pouch?

1Freakinninja
2015-11-24, 10:09 PM
Lessee the summoners kit has "This kit includes a backpack, a bedroll, a belt pouch, a flint and steel, an iron pot, a mess kit, soap, torches (10), trail rations (5 days), and a waterskin."

You definitely need the backpack, bedroll, trail rations and waterskin. the belt pouch is nice but not necessary, other people have flint and steel and/or its cantrip equivalent, I have a pot, a mess kit would be nice but again not absolutely necessary, the soap might be appreciated by the rest of the party but is not strictly speeking necessary and I have light as a cantrip so you probably don't need the torches.

Edit: Also do you already have a spell component pouch?

... you are very.... very wise.... you know that? * runs off to get component pouch*

csmeek
2015-11-24, 10:17 PM
So by dropping the folding ladder I can pick up four days worth of trail rations, so before I edit that in, do we know for sure that someone's got a grappling hook?

EDIT: Or I can pick up a WHOLE bunch of wandermeal, but we can only eat that on it's own for about a week before getting sickened.

RE:EDIT: Link to the srd page (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/hunting-camping-survival-gear#TOC-Rations-Wandermeal)

1Freakinninja
2015-11-24, 10:43 PM
Alright... after everything is all Said and done, I have enough for 1 gold piece to my name.... I can either but more food.... or put it in that tantalizing slot machine.... so many pretty lights.... but yeah, I kinda would like soap.... but it's so expencive..... I might follow suit and buy some wander bread for everyone, it's until we can kill some stuff and get some money. Maybe we can skin some animals and sell it at that trading post?

kopout
2015-11-24, 10:53 PM
csmeek, (Un)Inspired, and I all have compasses. I don't think we need that many. If I trade mine in I can afford a fishing tackle, which it looks like we need if I'm going to be feeding you all.

1Freakinninja
2015-11-24, 11:34 PM
You could get some bear traps, catch some bigger game than just fish

(Un)Inspired
2015-11-24, 11:36 PM
csmeek, (Un)Inspired, and I all have compasses. I don't think we need that many. If I trade mine in I can afford a fishing tackle, which it looks like we need if I'm going to be feeding you all.

kopout, whatever magic Darvan needs from Howl he only needs to ask. I get the feeling you're gonna save our bacon many many times.

csmeek
2015-11-24, 11:53 PM
In-frickin-deed to that man, and will we need tackle at all? I brought a fishing net so I'm jist wondering.

1Freakinninja
2015-11-24, 11:56 PM
Our fate rest in the hands of the Rouge street thug wanted for murder.... nope, don't see any problems with that x)

Edit: exactly, one of us can cover fishing, getting the tackle, the net and electric zapper and combine it into a murderous death trap and the other can go hunting, I summon a dog to track the animal, the hunter kills said animal, we eat said animal. Everybody wins!

Recherché
2015-11-25, 12:45 AM
I do have soap if you need to borrow any. I know we can quest for a hot spring for all the pretty people to use as a spa!. More seriously I have 2 gp and change left over so I can grab some wandermeal.

csmeek
2015-11-25, 02:11 AM
Looks like we're startin' laddies, prepare for exploration and possible dwarf fortress class !!!FUN!!!