PDA

View Full Version : Optimization S.P.I.D.E.R: Let's jump really well.

Inevitability
2015-11-24, 02:58 AM
Skipping Peerless Innovative Druidicism-Enhanced Ripper

Just some idea I came up with, and I thought would be nice to share.

If you have a second-level Moon druid (or 8th-level Land druid, I guess), you can Wildshape into a female Steeder. For those who don't have OotA on hand, imagine a giant tarantula with an acidic bite and legs covered in adhesive.

What's really interesting about Steeders, though, is their ability to jump 90 ft. in any direction by expending all of their movement. This is nice to have, especially when you realize you can still attack afterwards. However, we can do better.

By casting Jump on yourself before wildshaping, you triple your jump distance for 1 minute. See where this is going?

We now have a giant spider who can jump 270 ft. and attack in the same turn, and can land on or jump from walls and ceilings.

Anyone with any ideas on how to improve this?

E’Tallitnics
2015-11-24, 05:23 AM
Remember that movement costs speed. The Jump spell increases your movement. The Dash Action increases your speed. You can only move up to your speed.

ShikomeKidoMi
2015-11-24, 05:51 AM
Remember that movement costs speed. The Jump spell increases your movement. The Dash Action increases your speed. You can only move up to your speed.

Normally, but the spider's ability that the original poster is discussing pretty clearly breaks that rule, unless you think they usually take more than one round to finish jumping. Six seconds seems like a bit too much hang-time to me.

On the other hand, since it is a special ability with a built-in rules exemption, I'm not sure how it interacts with the Jump spell. It's possible Jump would only affect your normal jumps and not that power.

Inevitability
2015-11-24, 08:51 AM
Normally, but the spider's ability that the original poster is discussing pretty clearly breaks that rule, unless you think they usually take more than one round to finish jumping. Six seconds seems like a bit too much hang-time to me.

On the other hand, since it is a special ability with a built-in rules exemption, I'm not sure how it interacts with the Jump spell. It's possible Jump would only affect your normal jumps and not that power.

I admit it's a bit ambiguous. However, Jump says:

You touch a creature. The creature’s jump distance is tripled until the spell ends.

'Jump distance' is not a rigidly defined term. It might very well mean 'the distance of any jump you make'. At least, it seems logical to me to rule that.

tieren
2015-11-24, 09:02 AM
Monk class ability "step of the wind" can double your jump distance for the turn. Assuming you can use that in wildshape you could be up to 540 foot jump.

PoeticDwarf
2015-11-24, 12:37 PM
Spells as haste and monk features (or other ones) (as mentioned) can make you jump even further.
But why is S.P.I.D.E.R. at the end Wonder, I don't see a W here

Edit: See you changed it

Inevitability
2015-11-24, 12:39 PM
But why is S.P.I.D.E.R. at the end Wonder, I don't see a W here

I'm sorry, what are you talking about?

RickAllison
2016-03-13, 12:03 PM
I know it's dependent on GM fiat, but for theory-crafting you could add in Boots of Springing and Striding to triple the distance further. That gets the theoretical build to 1620 feet.

Drackolus
2016-03-13, 12:17 PM
I was going to say dash gives you another move, but it only increases your movespeed. Increasing your move won't interact with this ability. That means Haste won't help either. The Champion's remarkable athlete and Thieve's Second Story Work specify running long jumps, so those won't work here either. Step of the wind and Jump seem like the only non-magic item that will help.

Spectre9000
2016-03-13, 02:06 PM
You can get the Charger feat to also use a dash action and attack. Conversely you could go with a 2 level dip in rogue and get cunning action to dash as a bonus action and still take your full attack.

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-13, 02:37 PM
You can get the Charger feat to also use a dash action and attack. Conversely you could go with a 2 level dip in rogue and get cunning action to dash as a bonus action and still take your full attack.

You can full attack with this combo already

Coffee_Dragon
2016-03-13, 02:41 PM
Increasing your move won't interact with this ability.

On the contrary, this works only to the extent that you increase your move speed.

Or I guess not, if the wording of the ability is taken to suspend the normal movement rules? The exercise seems to hinge on applying a multiplier effect to only one of two implicitly but not explicitly linked constants in an ability that was apparently not written with this eventuality in mind.

RickAllison
2016-03-13, 03:16 PM
Alright, theory-craft on the way. With a lenient DM, Goliath race, 1000 gp, and three levels of Druid we can get a creature traveling 92 miles per hour. 90 feet / 6 seconds * 3 from the At-will Jump ring * 3 from Boots of Striding and Springing * 3600 seconds per hour / 5280 feet per mile gives 92 mph, but we multiply that by 0.9 to compensate for having to spend every tenth action casting Jump for a sustained 82.8 mph. With Goliath trait, large size, and the 16 (AFB) strength of the steeder, we get a carrying capacity of 960 pounds or 1920 pounds with Enhance Ability. He becomes a one-man freighter!

PoeticDwarf
2016-03-14, 01:28 AM
Alright, theory-craft on the way. With a lenient DM, Goliath race, 1000 gp, and three levels of Druid we can get a creature traveling 92 miles per hour. 90 feet / 6 seconds * 3 from the At-will Jump ring * 3 from Boots of Striding and Springing * 3600 seconds per hour / 5280 feet per mile gives 92 mph, but we multiply that by 0.9 to compensate for having to spend every tenth action casting Jump for a sustained 82.8 mph. With Goliath trait, large size, and the 16 (AFB) strength of the steeder, we get a carrying capacity of 960 pounds or 1920 pounds with Enhance Ability. He becomes a one-man freighter!

I'd allow this but then there is the druid/other abilities part that most DMs don't allow (where is the powerful build if you changw your build etc.)

But still really nice idea

Dimcair
2016-03-14, 02:08 AM
Even if you'd stack it, wouldn't the multiplication of the jump distance only apply to the base jump range? Rather than climbing exponentially..... until you jump towards infinity.

RickAllison
2016-03-14, 10:33 AM
Even if you'd stack it, wouldn't the multiplication of the jump distance only apply to the base jump range? Rather than climbing exponentially..... until you jump towards infinity.

Going off the text in the PHB, I heartily disagree with your claim. Both Step of the Wind and Jump multiply your jumping distance, not your base jump. If they intended it to only be usable to augment basic jumping ability, then they would have included some clause. The better question would be whether it interacts with the special ability.

As for Goliath and being a druid, he can still reach half a ton without needing the racial trait. It still allows him to cart around half as much as an airship with ten times the speed.