PDA

View Full Version : Tourist [Class]

Clamps
2007-06-04, 01:53 AM
The Tourist - Discoverer of the Unknown
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Features|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Camera, Fearless, Point Blank Shot|
1|
0|
0|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
Bad Translator|
2|
0|
0|
0|
0|

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Far Shot|
3|
1|
0|
0|
0|

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|---|
4|
2|
0|
0|
0|

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|
Garish Shirt|
5|
3|
0|
0|
0|

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|---|
6|
4|
1|
0|
0|

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|---|
6|
5|
2|
0|
0|

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6|Luck of the Magoo|
6|
6|
3|
0|
0|

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6|---|
6|
6|
4|
1|
0|

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Luggage|
6|
|5|
2|
0|

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|---|
6|
6|
6|
3|
0|

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|---|
6|
6|
6|
4|
1|

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|---|
6|
6|
6|
5|
2|

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|---|
6|
6|
6|
6|
3|

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Platinum Yendorian Express Card|
6|
6|
6|
6|
4|

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|---|
6|
6|
6|
6|
5|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|---|
6|
6|
6|
6|
6|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|---|
7|
6|
6|
6|
6|

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|---|
7|
7|
6|
6|
6|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|---|
7|
7|
7|
6|
6|

[/table]

Alignment: Any nonevil
Hit Die: 1d6
Class Skills:
Appraise (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (Architecture and engineering) (Int), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Ride (Dex), Speak Language (None), Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

The world, it is big. It is big and full of things. Things that need to be seen to believed. While most adventurers are obsessed with finding adventure, the Tourist seeks only to go new places. Coming from his foreign land, the Tourist is a complete stranger to the ways of his vacation paradise. A Tourist therefore is often getting into trouble.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Tourist is proficient with all simple weapons and thrown weapons.

Abilities: Tourists abilities take the form of items the tourist can use. A tourist obtains a package from his homeland containing the item whenever he obtains the proper level and goes into a town. Non-tourists attempting to use the item must make a DC 30 Use Magic Item check.

Camera: The most important item a Tourist has. This magical device lets the tourist take pictures of all the strange wildlife he encounters. Taking a picture of a monster is a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The flash functions as a Daze spell, so the enemy photographed takes no damage. Unlike a Daze spell, it works on nonhumanoids, provided they can see. A camera can be used three times a day, but after being used, it can not be used again for 6 rounds, as the photo needs to develop.

Fearless: A Tourist is immune to all magical fear effects.

Bad Translator: A Tourist can speak any language he does not know by using small guide books of dubious quality, however must succeed on a DC 25 Charisma check to do speak it properly. Failure causes a negative Attitude shift in one being spoken too. The Tourist must succeed on a DC: 30 Intelligence check to properly comprehend a language in either written or spoken form.

Luck of the Magoo: A tourist has the power of good fortune, which is usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows you to reroll one roll that you have just made before the game master declares whether the roll results in success or failure. You must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll.

Garish Shirt: This shirt is something only a foreigner would think is cool. It's so ugly, so tacky, so...garish, that anyone who so much as looks at it can do nothing but stare dumbfounded. Any enemy who sees a tourist in a garish shirt must make a DC 15 + The Tourist's Charisma Bonus Will save or be Fascinated as the effect for 1d4 rounds. A garish shirt will only affect someone once per day. Making the Savings Throw makes you immune to the effects...but it's still weird. A Garish Shirt can not be worn over armor, and gives no AC bonus.

The shirt becomes part of the Tourist's tacky soul. If lost or destroyed, he will find a new one in 2d6 days. It'll just "be" where he's looking.

Luggage: A tourist's luggage contains all of his personal belongings. Unfortunately, the travel service lost it, and couldn't find it until he reached level 10. The Luggage is a small chest with four legs, which functions as a bag of holding IV. It is capable of casting teleport and planar shift to follow the Tourist wherever he goes. It also functions as his protector, and fights at his side

Size/Type: Medium Luggage
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+15
Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+10)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d8+10)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: ---
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Hide +0, Listen +7, Move Silently +4, Spot +7, Survival +2*
Feats: Alertness, Run, TrackB, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Whever his Tourist is
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: 500 GP
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: ---
Level Adjustment: —

If killed, a Luggage will get better and return to the tourist in 2d6 days.

Platinum Yendorian Express Card: This small metal card is filled with strange and foreign magics. Once a day, the Tourist can either use metamagic without paying a cost (i.e., without raising the spell level) or recharge a charged magic item at a cost of 100XP per use recharged.

Spells: A tourist casts spells based of Charisma, like a sorcerer. He uses spells from the Tourist Spell List.

Level 1
Create Water
Cure Minor Wounds
Detect Animals or Plants
Detect Magic
Endure Elements
Ghost Sound
Light
Longstrider
Mending
Mount
Open/Close
Read Magic
Sanctuary

Level 2
Alarm
Detect Animals
Detect Plants
Detect Secret Doors
Detect Snares and Pits
Detect Undead
Entropic Shield
Feather Fall
Floating Disc
Identify
Jump
Pass without Trace
Spider Climb
Tree Shape

Level 3
Glitterdust
Knock
Locate Object
See Invisibilty
Water Breathing

Level 4
Arcane Sight
Daylight
Phantom Steed
Repel Vermin
Transmute Mud to Rock
Tiny Hut

Level 5
Find the Path
Legend Lore
Moment of Prescience
Secure Shelter
Secret Chest
Sending
Shadow Walk
Seeming.

Needs filling out of the spell list, maybe some more power. Thoughts?

Setra
2007-06-04, 01:59 AM
Funny class idea.

Also, you put Weapon and Armor Proficiency as .. Lightsmith? o.O

[b]Weapon and Armor Proficiency:[/b[ A Lightsmith is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor and shields except tower shields.

TheOOB
2007-06-04, 02:15 AM
Any paticular reason tourists can't be evil? As an employee in a service oriented job I can say that tourists are often some of the most evil people I come across ;P

Hazkali
2007-06-05, 07:51 AM
I love it! It's a weak class, but I still love it!

However, I have one gripe...the Luggage, only CR 3?

DeathQuaker
2007-06-05, 07:58 AM
Since this appears to be inspired by the Nethack Class, the Tourist should have some kind of Combat Style focus on thrown weapons (tourists are always good at playing darts, etc.). Either a bonus to hit and damage, or just the rapid-shot tree.

Also at 15th level, he needs to gain the Platinum Express. It "charges" any magic devices he can use, etc.

I'd also say Use Magic Device would be a good skill for a Tourist. Similar classes have the skill, and tourists are always picking up strange "souvenirs" and mucking with them for all kinds of interesting effects.

Clamps
2007-06-05, 01:10 PM
Funny class idea.

Also, you put Weapon and Armor Proficiency as .. Lightsmith? o.O

Whoops. I copied the Lightsmith page because I didn't know how to do a table, and forgot to change that part. Fixed.

However, I have one gripe...the Luggage, only CR 3?

The stats are the same as a Dire Wolf. Or do you mean luggage should be tougher? I don't want to make the Tourist a really good class. Remember, CR is for a PARTY.

Also at 15th level, he needs to gain the Platinum Express. It "charges" any magic devices he can use, etc.

I'd also say Use Magic Device would be a good skill for a Tourist. Similar classes have the skill, and tourists are always picking up strange "souvenirs" and mucking with them for all kinds of interesting effects.

Added.

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-05, 01:23 PM
I thought this was a NetHack reference. But its a Discworld reference, so I'll let you off.

Clamps
2007-06-05, 02:18 PM
I thought this was a NetHack reference. But its a Discworld reference, so I'll let you off.

Um...thanks?

DracoDei
2007-06-05, 02:32 PM
What specific grade of bag of holding does the luggage act as?
What are the rules for replacing a garish shirt if it is lost or destroyed?

I would strongly consider giving them Endure Elements so they can use their Garish Shirt even in cold conditions.... because Garish Parka just doesn't sound quite right and the idea of someone beating their way through hip-deep snow in a tie-dye monstrosity of a t-shirt just strikes a good note of humor. Perhaps even some spell like "Improved Endure Elements" which allows them to take the hottest (excepting volcanoes) and coldest nature can dish out.

The spells per day for class level 4 should be 4/2/1 NOT 1/4/2 I think... and 2 3rd level spells at class level 5.

Class Skill of Survival? Or are they supposed to be forever hapless?

Seems kinda odd to give them Detect Magic but no Spellcraft to go with it...

Use Magic Device might make sense... love tourists showing off their soveneers (sp).

Other concepts for spells they should have:
Cure Minor Wounds (perhaps as a first level) The well prepared tourist takes along a small first aid kit, but it isn't much help in a really serious situation.... or maybe just give them the Heal skill...

Comprehend Languages and Tongues seem like no-brainers.

Water Breathing... hey gotta have the SCUBA diving

Pass without Trace (perhaps as a 2nd level spell rather than a first) because a TRUE tourist leaves nature in good condition so others can continue to enjoy it... of course this may be the exact opposite of what you are going for.

Protection from Light What is a tourist without their sunscreen and sunglasses? Prevents blinding from bright light including magical effects (note that Blindness and Power Word Blind don't use light) including the Prismatic effects. Prevents sunburn even in the brightest desert and provides energy resistance 5 versus Searing Light, Sunbeam, Sunburst, the light rays of a Lantern Archon and other such spells and effects. Level: 2 Range: Personal? Touch? Duration: 1 hour per level (so at lower levels you have to remember to re-apply... maybe even cut it to 1 hour per 2 levels).

Repel Vermin Gotta have the bug-spray... Hmmm.... on second though might want to make it something like Insect Repellant which works the same way, but only effects insects of less than 1 HD (including swarms whose individual members are less than that), and has a duration of 1 hour per level (1 hour per 2 levels?)

Sending in place of postcards...

Maybe Stone Tell but it only relates events that happened more than 10 years ago and maybe only works on stone that was once worked... "If only these walls could speak, what stories they could tell".

Create Water because should NEVER trust the local water when traveling...

Mount since you gave them Phantom Steed

Detect Animals or Plants to find that rare species to get a photo of.

Long Strider see more sights in a day.

Travel As per Teleport except that casting time is one hour, range is 400 miles per caster level, amount that may be taken with you is 100 lbs per caster level plus living creatures within the original limit (but what they are carrying counts against the weigh limit for the spell, and you may bring along anything you like within 20’ that is not attended by another or part of a larger object, any place you have read about or studied multiple pictures of for at least 8 cumulative hours counts as “Seen Casually”, and each intelligent creature that is not a familiar or special mount or animal companion you bring along costs you 100 XP (cost of an additional passenger).

Exotic Travel as per Plane Shift Except with the same casting time, XP cost, and loading limits as Travel.

I would drop Identify since it seems the sort of thing a tourist would be to impatient to spend the 8 hours to do themselves... although I guess for non-mobile objects it might make sense to have... bump to second level???

Spider Climb seems more appropriate than Jump to me, rock-climbing is something one does on vacation, also it is less spectacular looking and better for easily getting into places you shouldn't and then NOT being able to get out again quickly. :smalltongue:

Pet Souvenir as Reduce Animal but 1 hour casting time, Permanent Duration and requires a bejeweled sweater worn by the animal worth at least 1,000 GP as a material component.

To pamper the local wildlife (feeding junk-food to the colorful birds etc) and go where only an idiot local would I recommend the following:
Animal Trance, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Hide from Animals, Hide from Undead (“Well I want to see the tomb… I will just make sure to not disturb the rest of those in their, they won’t even know I was there”), Hold Animal, Halt Undead, and Speak with Animals.

Well... this is enough brainstorming for one message I think....

Clamps
2007-06-05, 05:43 PM
What specific grade of bag of holding does the luggage act as?

Type IV, but can't be pierced.

What are the rules for replacing a garish shirt if it is lost or destroyed?

Comes back after 2d6 days. The shirt is part of the Tourist, like a Shinigami's Soul Slayer in Bleach.

Added some of your spells. Couldn't find info on a lot of them, but I'll probably add the rest soon. Except travel/teleport (defeats the purpose) and maybe a few others.

DracoDei
2007-06-05, 06:15 PM
Well a lot of them I made up, in which cases I gave enough info to adapt them from a similar spell.

Try www.d20srd.com (http://www.d20srd.com) for a spell list, all of them should be on there (are you using a 3rd edition book or something?).

DracoDei
2007-06-05, 06:25 PM
Why "Transmute Mud to Stone"? So they can make a dry place to camp in a swamp?

DeathQuaker
2007-06-06, 11:20 AM

Actually, the Nethack class itself is a Discworld reference, so it works either way. :smallsmile:

Clamps, some ideas for 5th level spells since you've only a few: Secret Chest (sure, the Luggage might carry everything, but it never hurts to have a safety deposit box somewhere with an emergency stash), Sending, Shadow Walk, Seeming. Overland Flight maybe, too, if that's not deemed too powerful.

Clamps
2007-06-06, 12:01 PM
Actually, the Nethack class itself is a Discworld reference, so it works either way. :smallsmile:

Clamps, some ideas for 5th level spells since you've only a few: Secret Chest (sure, the Luggage might carry everything, but it never hurts to have a safety deposit box somewhere with an emergency stash), Sending, Shadow Walk, Seeming. Overland Flight maybe, too, if that's not deemed too powerful.

Added, but for Overland Flight. The Tourist wouldn't use spells that allow him to skip a journey. The journey is part of the experience, after all.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-06, 02:51 PM
Any paticular reason tourists can't be evil? As an employee in a service oriented job I can say that tourists are often some of the most evil people I come across ;P

Evil requires Malice, tourists have only stupidity.

Not that Thog hasn't already proved you can have both.

mauslin
2007-06-06, 03:52 PM
Personally, I think that the tourist should get a "cheerfully oblivious" ability.

Just basing this on Twoflower from Discworld, who had an amazing ability to get out of trouble simply by being cheerfully oblivious to danger, and so doing something completely unexpected (i.e. instead of diving for cover during a bar fight, he watched it excitedly, and talked about getting autographs. When facing an elder demon of absolute evil and darkness, he took its picture).

This is different then being fearless, it's more like doing something so wierd and stupid that it causes opponents to pause and try to figure out what's going on.

I personally would treat this as bonus to AC equal to your cha bonus. This would help compensate for the tourist's inablity to wear armour.

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-06, 03:58 PM
Equal to CHA bonus...or equal to INT penalty? Or WIS penalty, as that seems to be common sense as opposed to academic knowledge.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-06, 04:16 PM
The tourist needs a few more abilities I think. Something like

Bad Translator: A Tourist can speak any language he does not know by using small guide books of dubious quality, however must succeed on a DC 25 Charisma check to do speak it properly. Failure causes a negative Attitude shift in one being spoken too. The Tourist must succeed on a DC: 30 Intelligence check to properly comprehend a language in either written or spoken form.

Clamps
2007-06-06, 05:49 PM
The tourist needs a few more abilities I think. Something like

Approved.

Added some new spells and abilities, too.

aaron_the_cow
2007-06-06, 06:17 PM
this is way to cool....
as for new abilities...
culture idot you may at any time with a "native", roll a d20.+chirisma motifyer
1:you say such a lude comment that try they stone you to death or kill you in a simmiler matter.
2-5: they run you out of town because you say somthing so stupid.
6-14: nothing happens...no realy
15-19: you clame to be a royal prince without knowing it and get 1,000 g.p. in gifts.
20+:you are considered a god and also have as much mony as the towns have and prity much all the magic items