PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rolling Thunder! Requesting help on a Mammoth Rider Build!

SMac8988
2015-11-24, 11:10 AM
Hello all, a friend and I are joining new campaign. We are going to run two dwarf brothers from the frozen north, and I have been wanting to try a mounted character for a long time. Through bouncing around I found the Mammoth Rider and instantly felt that NEED creep into me.

So here is my build idea so far, and I am REALLY hoping I can get some awesome people's advice. We haven't been told our starting level, so I am going to just outline everything and go from there.

Name - Brynjar Gravelheart
Classes - 10 Mounted Fury/10 Mammoth Rider

STR - 17
DEX - 10
CON - 16
INT - 12
WIS - 14
CHA - 6
(20 point buy in)

Feats:
These are the feats I feel I need, but don't really have an order planned yet. I know I am over my number, so I will be dropping a few, sadly.

Mounted Combat
Trick Riding
Mounted Skirmisher
Trample
Mounted Onslaught
Indomitable Mount
Ride By Attack
Spirited Charge

Power Attack
Improved Overrun
Greater Overrun

Shield Focus

Boon Companion

Rage Powers:
Beast Totem; Lesser - Level 2
Beast Totem - Level 6
Beast Totem; Greater - Level 10
Ferocious Mount - Level 4
Ferocious Mount; Greater - Level 8

For gear I am planning a Lance and Shield while on my mounts back, and either a axe or long sword for when dismounted. Probably an axe due to dwarven-ness.

My Mount plan is a Wolly-Rhino, and getting him full plate as well.

Thanks in advance All!!! Can't wait for feed back!

Geddy2112
2015-11-24, 12:20 PM
I think you would be better off dipping cavalier to gain heavy armor, getting an order boost, challenge, and a mount/full druid level from that. Saves you the feat and gets you some extra stuff, keeping full BAB and the like.

I am personally not a fan of the trample/overrun feats, and if you are not going to have a companion that tramples skip these anyways. Just charge/murder a thing each turn and call it good, or ride by and hit multiples. If you are going to be wearing heavy armor, I don't think the trick riding feat is worth it just for an extra chance at mounted combat.

Keep in mind this archetype is a very poor choice if your party/game is going to feature a lot of dungeons/urban areas/ other places where large animals will have difficulty or be unable to move around in.

SMac8988
2015-11-24, 01:16 PM
I like the idea of the Mounted Fury because I can give my rhino pounce, hell of a large damage spike with two full attacks between Me and my mount. Also I have always enjoyed the barbarian, and going into a rage during lower levels will help keep me alive.

The Overrun I was on the fence about. But I needed to read over it all again to be sure. Why are you against it?

I also didn't read trick ride all the way through. I may stay with Med armor though, go for a agile breast plate or something wondrous.

My goal is to also try and get a weasel belt so my mount can come with me into caves and what not. One of the other players is also playing something that can buff the hell out of me. That way even if we are in the mines, with rage and all I can still be effective.

Elricaltovilla
2015-11-24, 01:21 PM
I like the idea of the Mounted Fury because I can give my rhino pounce, hell of a large damage spike with two full attacks between Me and my mount. Also I have always enjoyed the barbarian, and going into a rage during lower levels will help keep me alive.

The Overrun I was on the fence about. But I needed to read over it all again to be sure. Why are you against it?

I also didn't read trick ride all the way through. I may stay with Med armor though, go for a agile breast plate or something wondrous.

My goal is to also try and get a weasel belt so my mount can come with me into caves and what not. One of the other players is also playing something that can buff the hell out of me. That way even if we are in the mines, with rage and all I can still be effective.

Pounce only matters if you have multiple attacks. As far as I can tell, rhinoceros only have one attack and so wouldn't benefit from pounce at all. Natural Weapons don't use the Iterative Attack rules, you only get 1 attack with each natural weapon you have.

SMac8988
2015-11-24, 01:25 PM
Pounce only matters if you have multiple attacks. As far as I can tell, rhinoceros only have one attack and so wouldn't benefit from pounce at all. Natural Weapons don't use the Iterative Attack rules, you only get 1 attack with each natural weapon you have.

Rhino will get claws from Lesser Beast Totem. So Gore with horn and 2 claw attacks.

Build so far starting at level 1:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=629821

Geddy2112
2015-11-24, 03:16 PM

I am not saying go cavalier instead of mounted fury barbarian, I am saying take a level in cavalier to get heavy armor and some other goodies. If you are going to stay in light/med armor then you don't need it, but you gain far more from a level in cavalier than wasting a feat on armor proficiency.

You have to take multiple feats just to get damage out of overrun, and most enemies you fight won't be easy to overrun anyways, be it due to size, or just high CMD. A fair larger amount can't be tripped, so it has little use against solo baddies. Again, on an open field where there is a horde of goblins, mounted onslaught and trample become amazing. Also, you could just get a mount that has the trample ability if you wanted to do that and not have to worry about feats. If you have a party member who has combat reflexes, then the greater overrun gains some merit, but I would spend my feats elsewhere.

You can also get a hosteling item to keep your megafauna safe during dungeon crawls, or have a spellcaster know the spell carry companion, to make them into a nice pocket token.

SMac8988
2015-11-24, 04:10 PM
I am not saying go cavalier instead of mounted fury barbarian, I am saying take a level in cavalier to get heavy armor and some other goodies. If you are going to stay in light/med armor then you don't need it, but you gain far more from a level in cavalier than wasting a feat on armor proficiency.

You have to take multiple feats just to get damage out of overrun, and most enemies you fight won't be easy to overrun anyways, be it due to size, or just high CMD. A fair larger amount can't be tripped, so it has little use against solo baddies. Again, on an open field where there is a horde of goblins, mounted onslaught and trample become amazing. Also, you could just get a mount that has the trample ability if you wanted to do that and not have to worry about feats. If you have a party member who has combat reflexes, then the greater overrun gains some merit, but I would spend my feats elsewhere.

You can also get a hosteling item to keep your megafauna safe during dungeon crawls, or have a spellcaster know the spell carry companion, to make them into a nice pocket token.

I thought of the Cavalier level, but I need the rage skills, so I sadly can not with this current build. And I think the problem with Hosteling is that I am only in medium armor, which means I could only store a Med Mount, and anything I could ride is going to be large or huge in size.

I didn't think of the CMD issue with Overrun. Figured it would be helpful, but If I do manage to get a rhino, like I said before that is my goal, he will be huge or larger in size and has trample so no real need for it. Thank you for the advice, may free up some feats now.