PDA

View Full Version : OOTS 2016 Villains Calendar and 2015 Holiday Ornament

The Giant
2015-11-24, 12:03 PM
It's that magical time of year when I push a bunch of merch out there and hope everyone buys it so I can pay my health insurance! Woooo!

This year, we've got the 2016 wall calendar, featuring the villains, along with the regular holiday ornaments and a selection of new t-shirts. Let's look at the cover of the calendar first:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/FrontCover2016_thread.png

And how about a sneak preview of what will be on your wall a year from today:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/Calendar2016_Thread.png

The calendar is on sale at Ookoodook right now (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/OOTCal16.shtml). It's a pre-order again, which means there are a few caveats but we'll go over them at the end of this post. For now, let's move on to the stuff from CafePress. First, the ornaments:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/Christmas2015_Ornament_thread.png

NPC League hockey heats up with the Cliffport Pirates vs. the Western Conference Lizards!

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/BattleOrnament2015_thread.png

Look, they're evil fiends from beyond the world of mortals—rhyming isn't their strong suit.

Now, some t-shirt designs:
http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/BadassRoy_thread.png
http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/BadassRoy_Green_thread.png

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/Advantage_thread.png

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/SolarPower_thread.png

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/NewOOTS_thread.png

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/WealOrWoe_thread.png

We also have some new kid-oriented designs:

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/Kids_Bandana_thread.png http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/Kids_MitD_thread.png

http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/Kids_Redcloak_thread.png http://www.GiantITP.com/Images/CafePress2015/Kids_Blackwing_thread.png

The ornaments and shirts are on sale from CafePress (http://www.cafepress.com/orderofthestick) as always; you can order them today and they will ship in, like 2-3 days, tops.

Let's get some Almost Certainly to Be Asked Anyway Despite Me Answering Them Now Questions (ACTBAADMATNQs):

Q: Wait, the calendar is on sale from one place and the ornaments are on sale at another?
A: Yes. The calendars are printed by us through our regular channels that we use to print the books, while the shirts and ornaments are both produced and shipped by CafePress.

Q: Does that mean I have to pay shipping twice if I want both?
A: Yes. There's no viable way for us to offer the two products shipping from the same location, since we never touch the CafePress stuff—it goes right from the printer to you.

Q: Does CafePress have shipping locations in other countries?
A: Yes! If you're outside the US, you can switch to CafePress in Canada, the UK, or Australia and they should have all of the same stuff. I can't verify this because every time I try it redirects me to the US site, but it's supposed to work.

Q: Hey, I have this great idea for how you can offer both the calendar and the shirts for one shipping price!
A: It's great that you're trying to help, but it's almost certainly not financially viable or realistic for us. Ookoodook is a very small company and can't afford to open a warehouse in Europe or negotiate shipping deals with CafePress or what have you.

Q: Why are the overseas shipping costs from Ookoodook so high?
A: See previous answer—because Ookoodook is a very small company that is bringing these to the post office, and that's what the US Postal Service charges for an international package that can be tracked these days. Yes, Amazon charges less for shipping. Ookoodook is not Amazon.

Q: Is there a bulk shipping deal for reduced shipping on the calendar like there was last year?
A: No. There were problems with that shipment transpiring in a timely fashion, and we got a lot of complaints, so we're not doing it again this year. Besides, the shipping costs only even went down for orders that included the then-new book (which was very heavy) and the calendar. With just a calendar as the only new product, there would be no savings anyway.

Q: Is the calendar order a pre-order?
A: Yes. We hope for the calendar to start shipping around December 11th, which should be plenty of time for it to arrive before Christmas (much less the new year). However, we've had stuff go wrong before, and that date is not a hard and fast date. To be perfectly clear: We in no way can promise that the calendars will ship by December 11th, or that you will receive them in time for Christmas. We can only tell you that our current production schedule looks like those will be the shipping dates. If we miss those dates, please don't come here and yell at me that I implied a promise to deliver it on time. There are no promises given regarding the exact timing.

Q: Will CafePress be having any sales or coupons for the OOTS stuff?
A: I hope so, but probably not. In years past, they were very generous with coupons that gave out stuff like free shipping, but they haven't had one for three or four years now. Or rather, they have lots of coupons but they only ever work in their "Marketplace," which is the part of their site where they control prices and actively mess with designs (i.e. putting them on whatever products they feel like rather than just the ones that look right). If they issue a coupon that says it works for Shops like mine, I will post it here immediately, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Q: Do you have any tips for ordering from CafePress?
A: Yes! There are a lot of different garment options from CafePress—that's one of the reasons we still use them—but some of them print better than others. In particular, the white shirts and products print much better than the dark ones; that's why some designs that require the art to look right are only offered on white. If you want a dark shirt, your best bet is to pick one of the "one-color" designs, like the all-green version of Roy. The full-color dark shirts will print, but the designs tend to be more faded in color (which might not bother you at all, but I felt I had to mention it).

Q: I still have money leftover; do you have any other new OOTS products you haven't mentioned?
A: Yes! While they came out a month or two ago, Morland Miniatures is now offering gaming minis of three new OOTS characters: Nale, Sabine, and Thog. You can get them here (http://morlandstudios.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9).

Q: These are great and all, but what I really wanted was the PDF of the next OOTS books.
A: Well, good news: I am definitely going to release No Cure for the Paladin Blues in PDF format. Not before Christmas, though. Maybe right after it, or maybe at the start of the new year, or maybe a few weeks in—we'll see how long it takes me to convert all the files. But it's definitely happening.

Q: All I care about is the comic. Is there a new one yet?
A: Yes, in a little while, after I get all this promo stuff in place.

OK, that's everything I can think of. If any of you bring up any new questions, I'll answer them and add them to this post.

Peelee
2015-11-24, 12:11 PM
I just need to note that Redcloak looks unbelievably badass.

EDIT: Also,
Q: I still have money leftover; do you have any other new OOTS products you haven't mentioned?
A: Yes! While they came out a month or two ago, Morland Miniatures is now offering gaming minis of three new OOTS characters: Nale, Sabine, and Thog. You can get them here.

I imagine that "here" is supposed to be hyperlinked? It's not.

Filippo
2015-11-24, 12:14 PM
OMG sneak peak on Readcloak "new Art" design! (X seems almost the same^^)

Well..Wow, shame I'm in Italy and poor^^;

factotum
2015-11-24, 12:23 PM
Hah! Sangwaan got her prediction wrong, I didn't Google "Weal"! I used dictionary.com instead.

War-Wren
2015-11-24, 12:31 PM
Shut up and take my money!!

... oh, wait... I have no money :smallfrown:

Gasp! :smallcool: I get paid tomorrow!! Wait right there till midnight, and then shut up and take my money! :smalltongue:

ReleaseTheBees
2015-11-24, 12:33 PM
Very happy to see a preview of HD Xykon and Redcloak. Never gave a thought to how skinny X would be, or that Redcloak would wear such fetching boots!

Murk
2015-11-24, 12:35 PM
Redcloaks feet sure looks like they can kill just as easily as any Divine magic. I like.

I like it all!!

The Giant
2015-11-24, 12:40 PM
It took me a while to figure out what the proper interpretation of the goblin stick figure feet would be in the upgraded style. In last year's calendar, I had him barefoot with the old-style three-toe foot, just in green. And it looked weak and unthreatening, and I didn't like it. When I started working on the O-Chul story, I came up with new goblin footwear for the enemy soldiers in that story, and I liked it enough to bring it over to Redcloak.

So starting now, armored goblin-types get nice heavy boots instead.

SaintRidley
2015-11-24, 12:40 PM
Villain's calendar. Yes!

CoffeeIncluded
2015-11-24, 12:46 PM
It took me a while to figure out what the proper interpretation of the goblin stick figure feet would be in the upgraded style. In last year's calendar, I had him barefoot with the old-style three-toe foot, just in green. And it looked weak and unthreatening, and I didn't like it. When I started working on the O-Chul story, I came up with new goblin footwear for the enemy soldiers in that story, and I liked it enough to bring it over to Redcloak.

Sweet! I agree, this new foot design looks fantastic. I shall definitely be preordering this with money I borrowed from the federal government temporarily have.

hroþila
2015-11-24, 01:02 PM
I always assumed them goblinoids were barefoot even before seeing last year's new art, but it did look a bit weird. Those sabatons will also get some getting used to, though.

(I mean, they look like sabatons rather than heavy boots to me)

Perhaps more interestingly: red archfiend flesh!

Grey Watcher
2015-11-24, 01:02 PM

So it's a two-for-one art preview? Nice.

I, too, think it's awesome.

Keltest
2015-11-24, 01:11 PM
I understand and accept the disclaimer that you cant guarantee the arrival date of the calendars. Having said that, do you have any better understanding of what went on last year and/or how to prevent it from happening this year? While I am willing to wait however long it takes, delays included, last year's delay was so... out there, that I feel the need to ask.

Gift Jeraff
2015-11-24, 01:11 PM
Aw, I was hoping Xykon would get October since he's a spooky scary skeleton.

Peelee
2015-11-24, 01:13 PM

Some things are scarier. Like the (a?) tax man, who is clearly getting October.

Bonus point to whoever gets the Corner Gas reference.

Bedinsis
2015-11-24, 01:29 PM
I don't normally browse the store, but is the Alignments theme finished/abandoned? I ask because Law never got a symbol from what I could see.

The Giant
2015-11-24, 01:35 PM
I understand and accept the disclaimer that you cant guarantee the arrival date of the calendars. Having said that, do you have any better understanding of what went on last year and/or how to prevent it from happening this year? While I am willing to wait however long it takes, delays included, last year's delay was so... out there, that I feel the need to ask.

The main thing that happened last year (if memory serves) was that the company Ookoodook picked for the bulk shipping option completely dropped the ball and had to be replaced at the last minute...and then that new company got stuff stuck in customs, for the international customers. Since we're not doing bulk shipping at all this year, that shouldn't be an issue. There still could be a problem with the printer—see the previous year, when they sent me a proof about half the size it was supposed to be—but I feel better about this year then previous because I'm not waiting for to see order numbers before placing the print run order; I'm just basing it on the sales from the past two years.

So the calendar will go to the printer on Monday morning (I have to finish the back cover today, and they're closed tomorrow through Sunday), it should take 2 days to get the proof, and if there are no problems, 5 days to print and 2 to ship from the printer to Ookoodook. Hence, the 11th. (That last step is also prone to delays, by the way; freight shipping seems to be a very sketchy industry in that way.) I also have the option of paying for a rush delivery, if need be, though that will be very pricey and I'll probably only do that if sales spike way above what I'm expecting and Ookoodook needs extra time to pack boxes.

So, the 11th is the projected date, and the 13th is probably the because-something-always-goes-wrong date. Either way, US customers should have their calendar in time for the holidays.

It's a villain calendar. Everybody's spooky. I think a vampire got October.

The Giant
2015-11-24, 01:38 PM
I don't normally browse the store, but is the Alignments theme finished/abandoned? I ask because Lawful(or Order) never got a symbol from what I could see.

I don't really have any Lawful characters who don't skew heavily toward either Good or Evil, so it's been put on hold. I don't want to put out a Law shirt with, say, Malack or Roy or someone on it because that will skew the perception of Lawfulness. The best I have right now are the lawyers, and they're more of a gag than a true representation of Law. But new characters pop up all the time, so when I have one, that's the year that the Law shirt will come out.

ti'esar
2015-11-24, 01:51 PM
Wow, these might be worth it for the villains with upgraded art all by themselves! Redcloak looks awesome.

...so does that mean the archfiends actually have physical forms under those cloaks? I always wondered.

Keltest
2015-11-24, 02:20 PM
Wow, these might be worth it for the villains with upgraded art all by themselves! Redcloak looks awesome.

...so does that mean the archfiends actually have physical forms under those cloaks? I always wondered.

At least two of them have red-ish (don't give me that, im colorblind) hands and arms coming out from their robes. Im going out on a limb and saying yes, they do have physical bodies.

Joerg
2015-11-24, 02:25 PM
I have to agree, Redcloak looks great.

Have you considered offering the calendar as a PDF?

SaintRidley
2015-11-24, 02:44 PM
Also, new style Redcloak is absolutely baller.

Basement Cat
2015-11-24, 02:46 PM
wrong thread

Peelee
2015-11-24, 02:48 PM
So much for V coming to the rescue. :smallannoyed:

Time for the lizard to go T Rex on the vampire.

Wrong thread.

And it's an Allosaurus.

Vargtass
2015-11-24, 04:07 PM
I don't really have any Lawful characters who don't skew heavily toward either Good or Evil, so it's been put on hold. I don't want to put out a Law shirt with, say, Malack or Roy or someone on it because that will skew the perception of Lawfulness. The best I have right now are the lawyers, and they're more of a gag than a true representation of Law. But new characters pop up all the time, so when I have one, that's the year that the Law shirt will come out.

Celia? At least in her major appearance so far (escape from AC to Greysky City and battle vs the Thieves guild) she comes off as pretty Lawful.

But of course you may very well have something better planned down the road, knowing the story and all ...

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-11-24, 04:08 PM
Wow, this calendar looks pretty sweet! Love how the villain designs look!

Grey Watcher
2015-11-24, 05:17 PM

Well, to be fair, you didn't feel the need to stick with Neutral Evil for the Evil shirt (I'd call Xykon Chaotic Evil, but I suppose there's room for interpretation) or Neutral Good for the Good shirt (as a 3.5 edition Paladin in good standing, O-Chul HAS to be Lawful Good). Granted, in the case of the former, it's because he was the one used for the in-strip gag, but still...

Though to refute my own argument, I suppose you could argue that Xykon and O-Chul are Evil and Good first, and Chaotic and Lawful second, and I'm hard pressed to remember a character who's Lawful first, and Good or Evil second.* (Julio is a fine example of Chaotic first and... Good-ish? second.)

*No, the shoulder-modron doesn't count.

Cizak
2015-11-24, 05:48 PM
It's hard to tell, but there might be an art mistake with Nale's arm on the calendar?

+1 to Redcloak looking awesome. I'll definitely pick this calendar up. Maybe not in time for christmas, but soon-ish.

The Giant
2015-11-24, 06:20 PM
It's hard to tell, but there might be an art mistake with Nale's arm on the calendar?.

Yeah, you're right. That's only on the image I posted here though, it's not on the original which uses the Illustrator file. I'll make a new image for the thread when I get a chance.

Porthos
2015-11-24, 06:28 PM
Annnnnnd, ordered. :smallcool:

Idiotic_Bird
2015-11-24, 06:33 PM
Oh my gods i love the new designs hey look epic... i think Redcloak looks epic in his improved outfit... I would buy it if i could, but my mum won't let me :smallfrown:

The Succubus
2015-11-25, 09:32 AM
When did the symbolism-free Vaarsuvius vs Troll image appear? I really like it for its refreshing straightforwardness.

Cirin
2015-11-25, 10:32 AM

Celia.

I always figured Celia was the character for the "Law" shirt.

Yeah, she's a lawyer, but she's more than a one-joke character like Mr. Jones & Mr. Rodriguez, she's adventured with the Order for a while and helped rescue Roy's body, she's dating Roy and had serious philosophical discussions, that means she's definitely beyond being a gag character.

She's the non-joke character who seems to best exemplify lawfulness in the strip.

littlebum2002
2015-11-25, 11:51 AM
There was a small increase in the amount of people who Googled the word "Weal (http://www.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US&q=weal&date=now+7-d&cmpt=q&tz=Etc/GMT%2B7&tz=Etc/GMT%2B7&content=1 #googletrendsexplore)" yesterday. I wonder why...

Unregistered
2015-11-25, 05:00 PM
Calendar ordered! The previous calendars were all great. Nad next year, I might need to buy a T-Shirt with the Order marching across...

Gift Jeraff
2015-11-25, 05:17 PM
I wonder if Miko's in the villains calendar.

Keltest
2015-11-25, 05:23 PM

Miko is an antagonist, but not a villain. I doubt it.

Porthos
2015-11-25, 07:31 PM

Miko is an antagonist, but not a villain. I doubt it.

Or she could be in the calendar with the characters at the bottom bringing up that very objection. :smallwink:

Room for even more interplay if Redcloak gripes about her being in this calendar followed the roaches making a side comment like "I thought she was a villian to you, Red".

Pyro
2015-11-26, 01:41 AM
Redcloak's new design is sick. I can't wait to see the rest of Team Evil. Speaking of which, they've been absent since Girard's pyramid exploded. I hope when everything with the Godsmoot is wrapped up, we'll see what they've been up to.

Since we're talking about merchandise, are there any plans to sell posters? I've bought the calendars the past two years going on a third solely for the art, and I'm always bummed to put them away when the year is over. (I've never wanted to undo the binding to post the pages individually since it would separate them from the character commentary.) The new artwork is brilliant, and I would definitely be in the market for a poster in the ultra HD style.

Corian
2015-11-26, 08:42 AM
I don't really have any Lawful characters who don't skew heavily toward either Good or Evil, so it's been put on hold.

Not to contradict you, but wouldn't you say that this is what Miko was about in the end?

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-26, 09:28 AM
There was a small increase in the amount of people who Googled the word "Weal (http://www.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US&q=weal&date=now+7-d&cmpt=q&tz=Etc/GMT%2B7&tz=Etc/GMT%2B7&content=1 #googletrendsexplore)" yesterday. I wonder why...

Sadly, I actually knew what it meant. :smalleek:

I read "The Worm Ouroboros" by E.R. Eddison when I was 12, and it contains part of the Ballad of Thomas the Rhymer at the beginning, which features the lines:

‘Betide me weal, betide me woe,
That weird shall never daunton me;’

So, I knew that pre-Google, back in the hoary days of dead tree dictionaries. An old friend, you might say. :smallbiggrin:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway ...

Wow, so that's what Redcloak is going to look like next time we see him? I almost forgot the three-toe look anyway; it certainly makes him look a bit more alien, I must say.

Aeliren
2015-11-26, 04:14 PM
I have to say, Xykon and Redcloak look incredibly awesome in the new style. Especially Redcloak, with his new sabatons.

The Recreator
2015-11-26, 07:35 PM
Celia.

I always figured Celia was the character for the "Law" shirt.

Yeah, she's a lawyer, but she's more than a one-joke character like Mr. Jones & Mr. Rodriguez, she's adventured with the Order for a while and helped rescue Roy's body, she's dating Roy and had serious philosophical discussions, that means she's definitely beyond being a gag character.

She's the non-joke character who seems to best exemplify lawfulness in the strip.

Celia's also certainly a Good character, to a fault. She goes out of her way to avoid harming other creatures, even when harming creatures would save more lives in the long run.

Not to contradict you, but wouldn't you say that this is what Miko was about in the end?

I'd argue that taking due process into your own hands and killing a defenseless octogenarian skews a little away from Lawful. There's also the part where she destroyed a cornerstone of space-time (and weakened the fabric of reality in the process) based on a hunch…

Anyhow, to keep things on topic… Xykon's got a brow ridge now? Nice.

The Derp Potato
2015-11-30, 07:33 PM
Wooo! We finally get to see :thog:, :sabine:, :nale:, :xykon:, :redcloak: and :mitd: in the latest art update
Will we see the lawyers as well?

ESPECIALLY liking the look of Badass Redcloak at the moment. That's why he's one of my favourite villains!

Simons Mith
2015-11-30, 07:42 PM
...When I started working on the O-Chul story, I came up with new goblin footwear for the enemy soldiers in that story, and I liked it enough to bring it over to Redcloak.

Combat boots with individual weird toes? Yeah, that definitely IS evil.

Cirin
2015-12-01, 05:53 PM
Celia's also certainly a Good character, to a fault. She goes out of her way to avoid harming other creatures, even when harming creatures would save more lives in the long run.

O'Chul is a Lawful Good character, defintiely lawful, but he was Good enough to be the character for the "Good" shirt.

Xykon is incredibly chaotic, but he was the character for "Evil" and not "Chaos".

Being NG, NE, LN or NE doesn't seem to be what the point is.

Yeah, Celia is Good, but it seems more that she's extraordinarily lawful. She doesn't want to kill, but that seems just as much for the fact she sees it as being against the law, not just the written law, but the natural order of things, as in what she perceives as how the universe works, in a lawful fashion.

Think in Greysky City, when she's cornered by the Thieves Guild and she goes into a rage. . .and she wants to begin contract negotiations.

. . .that's the act of an incredibly Lawful character. Modrons would look at that reaction with approval.

Grey Watcher
2015-12-02, 01:46 PM
O'Chul is a Lawful Good character, defintiely lawful, but he was Good enough to be the character for the "Good" shirt.

Xykon is incredibly chaotic, but he was the character for "Evil" and not "Chaos".

Being NG, NE, LN or NE doesn't seem to be what the point is.

Yeah, Celia is Good, but it seems more that she's extraordinarily lawful. She doesn't want to kill, but that seems just as much for the fact she sees it as being against the law, not just the written law, but the natural order of things, as in what she perceives as how the universe works, in a lawful fashion.

Think in Greysky City, when she's cornered by the Thieves Guild and she goes into a rage. . .and she wants to begin contract negotiations.

. . .that's the act of an incredibly Lawful character. Modrons would look at that reaction with approval.

I dunno, Celia's pacifism seems to me to stem from her Good side: she doesn't want to see anyone hurt, even people she, personally, doesn't like. Her unwillingness to break or even bend that rule (ie she refuses even to use non-lethal violence in self-defense) is Lawful, but her Lawfulness is backing up her Goodness, not the other way around. (At least as I read it; as someone once said to me, D&D alignments are so vaguely defined that any action can be argued to fit under any alignment.)

Throknor
2015-12-03, 10:12 PM

Miko was Lawful Good. She also happened to a) be wrong and b) have 'not thinking I could be wrong' as a fatal flaw.

She knew Roy was responsible for destroying a Gate. Roy claimed to have also destroyed a lich she later encountered leading a goblinoid army against Azure City. The possibility that Roy was in league with the lich was a real one. Her mistake was taking it as an absolute given and trying to fit everything else (including learning of Shojo's deception) along side it. Even after her 'fall', destroying the sapphire was what O-Chul (unquestionably LG) had already decided to do. Of course, once she made up her mind to do so she didn't look around to see it no longer needed to be done, but that's a logical flaw - not an alignment one.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-12-03, 11:51 PM
Calendar ordered.

And I figured out how you can give everyone free shipping, Rich.

1. Read this list
2. ?????
3. Assume control over the world
4. Order the postal service to provide free shipping on people's mandatory purchase and enjoyment of OOTS
5. PROFIT!!

Admittedly, that second step is a bit of a doozy.

Yendor
2015-12-13, 08:18 PM
Is Redcloak crossing his fingers behind his back?

The Giant
2015-12-14, 11:10 AM
Just wanted to update you all on the calendar status.

They're running a few days behind—because apparently nobody can print things around the holidays on the schedule they claim they can—but the calendar will leave the printer tomorrow morning. So they should be in Ookoodook's hands on the 17th, and everything should be shipped out by the following Monday at the latest (and I wouldn't be shocked if they got them all shipped by the end of the 18th, since there are a lot less orders than last year when there was a new book out at the same time). If you're a US customer, I would say there is virtually no chance of you not getting it before the 24th. I suppose if the USPS loses your package, specifically, but that's why tracking numbers exist.

Spoomeister
2015-12-14, 11:55 AM

They're running a few days behind—because apparently nobody can print things around the holidays on the schedule they claim they can—but the calendar will leave the printer tomorrow morning. So they should be in Ookoodook's hands on the 17th, and everything should be shipped out by the following Monday at the latest (and I wouldn't be shocked if they got them all shipped by the end of the 18th, since there are a lot less orders than last year when there was a new book out at the same time). If you're a US customer, I would say there is virtually no chance of you not getting it before the 24th. I suppose if the USPS loses your package, specifically, but that's why tracking numbers exist.

You know, with all the hassles and mishaps and extra administration needed around Christmas shipping every year, I for one would not blame you in the slightest if you decided to change it up next year. I.e. decided that from now on your holiday calendars and branded items were created and sent for printing in early November, with a goal of delivery by Thanksgiving. Just so that by the time your printers and partners collectively had their act together it'd still be in time for Christmas. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the updates, and your efforts each year to provide some fun variations on your characters.

The Giant
2015-12-14, 12:02 PM
You know, with all the hassles and mishaps and extra administration needed around Christmas shipping every year, I for one would not blame you in the slightest if you decided to change it up next year. I.e. decided that from now on your holiday calendars and branded items were created and sent for printing in early November, with a goal of delivery by Thanksgiving. Just so that by the time your printers and partners collectively had their act together it'd still be in time for Christmas. :smallbiggrin:

That would require me getting the art for the calendars done in early October, and I have no reason to believe that is a thing I will ever be able to make happen—based largely on the fact that I have attempted to make it happen every year I have done a calendar and have not successfully managed it yet.

CoffeeIncluded
2015-12-14, 12:25 PM

Sweet, thanks! Now I just have to hope the mail delivery comes in before I leave for my flight.

By the way have I thanked you for the monster mini kickstarted rewards yet? If not, then THANK YOU. I've ised them in every single game I've played or ran and I've used the included templates to make custom minis for all my players and PCs and for other players in other games on request. They are amazing.

Grey Watcher
2015-12-14, 05:29 PM
Sweet, thanks! Now I just have to hope the mail delivery comes in before I leave for my flight.

By the way have I thanked you for the monster mini kickstarted rewards yet? If not, then THANK YOU. I've ised them in every single game I've played or ran and I've used the included templates to make custom minis for all my players and PCs and for other players in other games on request. They are amazing.

Indeed. I was able to use the blank template (and some art generously provided by a forumite) to have a custom mini for the All Wizards, All the Time campaign we were running. And I've been trying to pull together the resources to run something, so I'm sure the rest will see lots of use!

Reddish Mage
2015-12-15, 01:38 AM

What about Kilkil and Mr. Jones and Rodriguez?

Porthos
2015-12-15, 02:47 AM
What about <SNIP> Mr. Jones and Rodriguez?

*cough*

The best I have right now are the lawyers, and they're more of a gag than a true representation of Law.

:smallsmile:

factotum
2015-12-15, 03:45 AM
As for Kilkil, he's an incredibly minor character who seems to be perfectly happy to pervert the law of the land in order to follow Tarquin's instructions (e.g. the trickery used to ensure that Enor and Ganji got imprisoned). While it's certainly arguable that he's doing that out of fear, someone who will betray his principles out of fear doesn't scream Lawful to me.

The Giant
2015-12-16, 01:42 AM
Update: I just found out that the calendars still have not left the printer, with no explanation listed. I am furious. I will be calling them the moment their customer service hours open and yelling at them, demanding that they ship them overnight to Ookoodook on their dime. We'll see how that goes.

The Giant
2015-12-16, 01:54 PM
Update to the Update: I have "persuaded" the printer to upgrade my freight to 2-day shipping for free, so calendars are back on schedule to arrive at Ookoodook either late on the 17th or 7:00 AM on the 18th. That still fits in with my previous belief that Ook would get them all in the mail before next Monday, so we should be all good.

Throknor
2015-12-16, 02:42 PM
Update to the Update: I have "persuaded" the printer to upgrade my freight to 2-day shipping for free, so calendars are back on schedule to arrive at Ookoodook either late on the 17th or 7:00 AM on the 18th. That still fits in with my previous belief that Ook would get them all in the mail before next Monday, so we should be all good.

Since things sound back on track, I can post my first thought on the update without being over-snarky: Everyone knows plans only work if you keep them secret first (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html).

Sorry; I could only resist so long. :elan: Looking forward to getting it; whenever that turns out to be.

Peelee
2015-12-16, 02:46 PM
I'd just like to say that your efforts to go to bat for your customers are very appreciated.

The Giant
2015-12-19, 07:52 AM
Three boxes of calendars showed up on Friday.

There were supposed to be thirteen.

I have no idea what is going on at this point, since everyone is closed for the weekend, but at least 23% of customers will get their calendars.

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-12-19, 09:38 AM
Three boxes of calendars showed up on Friday.

There were supposed to be thirteen.

I have no idea what is going on at this point, since everyone is closed for the weekend, but at least 23% of customers will get their calendars.

I... do not envy you for having to pick which customers end up in the 23%. But in the likely case I am in the 77% group, I am glad you kept us up to date so it will not come as a surprise.

Yours,

Grey Wolf

The Giant
2015-12-19, 09:50 AM
It looks like the shipping company's tracking data says that the boxes were rescheduled to arrive on Monday; it doesn't look like they even realize that three of them showed up. Hopefully, this means the other ten boxes arrive Monday without further problems, at which time they can be packed and shipped out.

I'm told that the three boxes are actually enough to fulfill about one-third of the orders so far, which is more than I would have thought but makes sense since we haven't sold out yet. It will actually be Ookoodook making the decision as to who to pack up first; I imagine they will probably prioritize those that could potentially get where they're going before Christmas if shipped today, but I don't know.

Lord Torath
2015-12-22, 03:42 PM
Just received my Shipping notice from APE Games/Ookoodook! I can hardly wait!

Thanks, Giant!

Porthos
2015-12-22, 05:13 PM
Just got my shipping notice as well! http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/BuckGodot/Icons/thumbsup_zps4d77a316.gif~original

Here's hoping for a Festivus miracle! :smallcool:

2.5 cats
2015-12-23, 11:08 PM
Got my calendar! :smallbiggrin:

Favorite parts are the commentary on October and the MiTD main page!

The demon roach close up...yeah. :smallyuk:

CoffeeIncluded
2015-12-24, 07:27 AM
Sadly I was unable to get my calendar before flying home for the holidays (I'm on the bus to the airport right now). But I suppose this means I'll have a pleasant gift to look forward to when I get back!

SaintRidley
2015-12-24, 01:48 PM
My calendar arrived today. Delightfully dastardly.

Porthos
2015-12-24, 02:55 PM
Who's got two thumbs and the best 2016 calendar celebrating villainous stick figure art?

This guy. :smallcool:

EDIT:::

YES!

"Dark Lord Mandolin" makes an appearance! :smallbiggrin:

Sarcasticles
2015-12-24, 04:30 PM
Got mine today as well. I'd completely forgotten that I ordered it, so it was a nice Christmas Eve present. Unfortunately the post office thought it was okay to just set the package on the ground while it was snowing/raining :smallannoyed:

The water damage wasn't too distressing, though. The art is lovely and I laughed at the last page.

Rogar Demonblud
2015-12-25, 01:47 AM
And that's the reason I always include handling instructions on my orders. But that package was from Noble Knight, and I'm pretty sure the way Aaron does it the box could survive a meteor strike.

Peelee
2015-12-25, 10:00 AM
Got mine today as well. I'd completely forgotten that I ordered it, so it was a nice Christmas Eve present. Unfortunately the post office thought it was okay to just set the package on the ground while it was snowing/raining :smallannoyed:

The water damage wasn't too distressing, though. The art is lovely and I laughed at the last page.

What's this "snow" you speak of?

Keltest
2015-12-25, 10:37 AM
What's this "snow" you speak of?

I have no idea. Its 70 degrees here in PA.

Rich, did you accidentally open some sort of rift above Philly, by chance?

DaggerPen
2015-12-25, 03:52 PM
My calendar just came in and oh it is gorgeous. I about died laughing at multiple points. Thank you so much, Giant.

Griffincat
2015-12-26, 11:31 AM
Mine is at my local post office, and hopefully will be delivered to me soon. I work in retail and had to work on Xmas eve and again today; I will need a pick me up.

infinityman
2015-12-26, 08:21 PM
Unwrapped mine yesterday in Michigan! Plus the Heroes calendar I missed last year.

Crusher
2015-12-27, 05:58 PM
Calendar arrived a couple days ago and its fantabulous!

Rogar Demonblud
2015-12-27, 08:12 PM
Well, I finally extracted mine from the nefarious clutches of the postal system. My favorite part might be that Tarquin's in the same month as Father's Day.

Griffincat
2015-12-28, 11:55 AM
Well, mine arrived, creased in half despite the "do not bend" sticker and water damaged over 1/3 to boot. Do I claim this to USPS, or do I need to contact Ookoodook to get this sorted?

Grey Watcher
2015-12-29, 09:26 AM
My ornament came in time to be given to me on Christmas, the calendar just (barely) in time for me to take back to NYC with me. :smallsmile:

Great artwork, and I especially love the banter on the last page. And Xykon and Redcloak's reaction to Tarquin. :smallbiggrin:

Griffincat
2015-12-29, 11:32 AM
Mischief managed--Kevin is a rock star. Thanks!

Peelee
2015-12-29, 11:45 AM
My ornament came in time to be given to my on Christmas

Your sounds awesome.:smalltongue:

Grey Watcher
2015-12-29, 12:41 PM
Your sounds awesome.:smalltongue:

Well thank you, for complimenting me, even if you didn't realize it.* :smallbiggrin:

*See the corrected post if you don't get it.

hamishspence
2015-12-30, 05:13 AM
Mine arrived today - was a fun read.

Ramien
2015-12-30, 03:31 PM
Just got mine today!

Can I say it's perfectly appropriate that Tarquin's scene is the only one where he's about to lose?

glowface
2015-12-31, 05:48 AM
Hah! My calendar was just handed to me by the postman 15 minutes ago. I didn't even know they worked on December 31st... perfect timing, tomorrow I can start using it! :)

Now comes the hard part (I managed it this year): not to flip through the calendar, but be surprised and delighted by the artwork and jokes each month! Glowface, be strong, you can do it...

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-12-31, 10:57 AM
Hah! My calendar was just handed to me by the postman 15 minutes ago. I didn't even know they worked on December 31st... perfect timing, tomorrow I can start using it! :)

Now comes the hard part (I managed it this year): not to flip through the calendar, but be surprised and delighted by the artwork and jokes each month! Glowface, be strong, you can do it...

I've managed it two years in a row, and I intend to try the same in the coming year. I'd rather have an extra OotS joke per month than 12 jokes right now.

GW

Rogar Demonblud
2015-12-31, 12:46 PM
See, this is the benefit of having a memory like a goldfish. I can enjoy the jokes now, and enjoy them later.

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-12-31, 03:00 PM
See, this is the benefit of having a memory like a goldfish. I can enjoy the jokes now, and enjoy them later.

Yes, my SO is like that as well. I like to think that my almost-perfect recall memory helps in other ways (like the MitD thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?347800-MitD-VIII-Everything-we-know-about-MITD-%28but-were-afraid-Tarrasque%29)), but I am quite jealous of how my SO can enjoy a film/book/comic over and over as if they had never seen it before.

GW

Griffincat
2016-01-01, 10:02 AM
For those of us who spoiled themselves by reading all the art, a question. What do the red letter inscriptions on April and June say? I'm not so good at parsing that font.

DaggerPen
2016-01-01, 01:44 PM
I just read it all at once and then put it back in the box to keep it protected, then use my phone calendar for the rest of the year.

... I'm probably not doing this right.

ChristianSt
2016-01-01, 02:44 PM
I just read it all at once and then put it back in the box to keep it protected, then use my phone calendar for the rest of the year.

... I'm probably not doing this right.

I did the exact same thing with the 2014/2015 calendars and honestly expect myself to do it again once the 2016 arrives. :smallwink: [+ once in a while doing a reread of them]

Toper
2016-01-02, 01:45 PM
I haven't received a shipping notification or calendar yet in Philadelphia, should I be worried?

Dr. Gamera
2016-01-04, 11:17 AM
For those of us who spoiled themselves by reading all the art, a question. What do the red letter inscriptions on April and June say? I'm not so good at parsing that font.

Can you be more specific about the inscriptions you want me to parse for you? I'm happy to do so.

thatSeniorGuy
2016-01-04, 07:50 PM
The calendars have finally arrived in Australia!

The MiTD and demon roach pages were my favourites, though Redcloak's and Xykon's commentary on Tarquin's page was great (though all the commentary is pretty much gold anyway).

Palthera
2016-01-05, 05:00 PM
Is anyone else having difficulty with the website for ordering the calendar? I didn't get it for Christmas so now I'm going to have to order it myself and I want to as soon as possible so it can get to the UK before March... :D

Armitage
2016-01-06, 08:55 AM
The old link doesn't work anymore. Guess Ook made some changes to their store links.
You can find the calendar here: http://ookoodook.myshopify.com/collections/new-stuff/products/order-of-the-stick-2016-villains-calendar

Palthera
2016-01-06, 03:48 PM
The old link doesn't work anymore. Guess Ook made some changes to their store links.
You can find the calendar here: http://ookoodook.myshopify.com/collections/new-stuff/products/order-of-the-stick-2016-villains-calendar

Marvellous, thank you! Ordered now, I shall await my calendar with baited breath...

Griffincat
2016-01-09, 02:35 PM
Can you be more specific about the inscriptions you want me to parse for you? I'm happy to do so.

What is written on the game console and on the ax.

ChristianSt
2016-01-09, 05:49 PM

It looks like the axe has the same inscription as in the comic, but I don't know what font it is or whether it has any meaning. Maybe it is just its name? (Soul-Muncher)

As for the console I don't know, but it isn't the font Dark Vaarsuvius uses, but something else.

Dr. Gamera
2016-01-11, 10:38 AM

Ah. The game console is a cryptogram in a script unfamiliar to me (certainly not the Roman alphabet). I haven't deciphered it yet.

Toper
2016-01-11, 04:21 PM
I haven't received a shipping notification or calendar yet in Philadelphia, should I be worried?
The post office thought they'd delivered it while I wasn't home, but somehow it never got to me. Ookoodook was kind enough to send a new one, and it looks terrific!

The Giant
2016-01-18, 09:33 AM
Going to unsticky this, since the calendar pre-orders have shipped. If you have any issues with your order, your best bet is to contact Ookoodook directly (rather than posting here) at this point.

Dr. Gamera
2016-01-23, 12:17 PM

With the help of the solved cryptogram in OOTS #1020 (Scroll Left) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1020.html), I have solved the cryptogram on the April 2016 calendar page.

The Monster in the Darkness isnota toaster. He is also nota very largeheirloom tomato. But he could be a colossal heirloom tomato!

Unregistered
2016-02-03, 05:22 PM
My calendar arrived today (in Germany) - shame that January is already over. Overall, I liked the hero calendar better (scenes depicted and jokes inside) but it still is comedy gold and looks great on the wall!

tommy123
2016-07-10, 10:23 AM
Thank you for your calendars.

mpclardy
2016-07-10, 10:25 AM
Thought this was a thread for OOTP, the baseball simulator... Sad now.

tmacdevitt
2016-07-29, 02:42 AM
Any chance of us able to buy PDF versions of old calendars?