PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers and casting spells

SylvanPrincess
2015-11-24, 02:38 PM
So, I'm in need of someone to confirm or deny what I'm readin about sorcerersome and casting. A cantrip doesn't need to be prepared, and can be cast indefinitely right? Like as a sorc/lock I can cast eldritch blast at will eh?

As for sorc spells, as long as I have a spell slot available I can cast any spell I know of that slot or lower right? No preparing certain spells for the day like a wizard right? I'm asking because it's been ages since I played a caster (and not in 5e) and I found myself on opening night of our first 5e game only using spells I selected prior to the night, not all my spells. Sorry if this is very basic rules stuff, I just want to make sure I have it right, thanks

Flashy
2015-11-24, 02:46 PM
So, I'm in need of someone to confirm or deny what I'm readin about sorcerersome and casting. A cantrip doesn't need to be prepared, and can be cast indefinitely right? Like as a sorc/lock I can cast eldritch blast at will eh?

As for sorc spells, as long as I have a spell slot available I can cast any spell I know of that slot or lower right? No preparing certain spells for the day like a wizard right? I'm asking because it's been ages since I played a caster (and not in 5e) and I found myself on opening night of our first 5e game only using spells I selected prior to the night, not all my spells. Sorry if this is very basic rules stuff, I just want to make sure I have it right, thanks

You are correct on both points! You can cast any spell you know through any slot and cantrips are at will.

SylvanPrincess
2015-11-24, 02:52 PM
You are correct on both points! You can cast any spell you know through any slot and cantrips are at will.

Thanks! And when I add my 2 levels of warlock to the mix I think I can interchange spell and sorcerers points with both classes spells?

Flashy
2015-11-24, 03:00 PM
Thanks! And when I add my 2 levels of warlock to the mix I think I can interchange spell and sorcerers points with both classes spells?

Sorcery points and spells known are for sure interchangeable. So you could cast warlock spells through sorcerer long rest slots or sorcerer spells through warlock short rest slots with any combination of metamagic you qualify for.

It's also worth mentioning that warlock is the only multiclass spellcaster that tracks its spell slot progression seperately. A sorcerer 2/bard 2 for example would have the same spell slots as a sorcerer or bard 4, but wouldn't know any spells of the highest available slot level. You may well have known this, but I thought it was worth being sure.

SylvanPrincess
2015-11-24, 05:46 PM
Sorcery points and spells known are for sure interchangeable. So you could cast warlock spells through sorcerer long rest slots or sorcerer spells through warlock short rest slots with any combination of metamagic you qualify for.

It's also worth mentioning that warlock is the only multiclass spellcaster that tracks its spell slot progression seperately. A sorcerer 2/bard 2 for example would have the same spell slots as a sorcerer or bard 4, but wouldn't know any spells of the highest available slot level. You may well have known this, but I thought it was worth being sure.

Thanks for the info! I did actually know that, but read the MC part on sorc lock when exhausted in bed- one of those moments when the book wakes you by falling on your face? Yeah lol

Safety Sword
2015-11-24, 10:43 PM
That's the pitfall of multiclassing. You have a lot of spell slots and only low level spells to throw them out with.