PDA

View Full Version : artificial sunlight vs vampires

BladeWing81
2015-11-24, 02:39 PM
do items like driftglobe or spells that emit sunlight supposedly don't affect a vampire, is this true or not?

Nishant
2015-11-24, 03:20 PM
I would say false... Think about spells like say, sunbeam; if it says it's sunlight, they likely added the detail with creatures with sensitivity and the like in mind. Now if you took them to a greenhouse with simulated sunlight, I dunno.

BladeWing81
2015-11-24, 03:54 PM
driftglobe can cast daylight, and daylight spell says:
"sphere of light spreads out from a point you choose within range. the sphere is bright light and sheds dim light for an additional 60 feet.
if any of this spell area overlaps with an area of darkness created by a spell of 3rd level or lower, the spell that created the darkness is dispelled."
I didn't put the whole spell for forum rules but it doesn't mention anything about counting as sunlight. The spell is just called daylight. so I'm not sure.

Is the're a light emitting spell that says it counts as sunlight for the purpose of vampire sensibility? I started this thread for this very reason, my DM basically said it doesn't work that way even if the spell is called daylight. vampires are reeeally hard encounters and I want to have SOME sort of advantage since vampires are not vulnerable to any type of damage they only has resistance to non magical damage.
there is an option for running water o sunlight so I need a good sunlight emitting spell.

rollingForInit
2015-11-24, 04:01 PM
The spell's name doesn't necessarily reflect the mechanics.

Some spells, like Sunburst, explicitly state that the light is sunlight. In those cases, it hurts vampires.

If a spell doesn't state that the light is sunlight or has the same effects as sunlight, it doesn't hurt vampires. In that case, it's just like that's as bright as daylight.

BladeWing81
2015-11-24, 04:19 PM
The spell's name doesn't necessarily reflect the mechanics.

Some spells, like Sunburst, explicitly state that the light is sunlight. In those cases, it hurts vampires.

If a spell doesn't state that the light is sunlight or has the same effects as sunlight, it doesn't hurt vampires. In that case, it's just like that's as bright as daylight.

Thanks! that helps a lot... checking the PHB and I only see sunburst and sunbeam that helps on this... which suck because my group is only lvl 7 and our sorcerer is barely 5 and need lvl 11 for this spell.... crap! anybody knows of another sunlight source? there is no vampire damage vulnerabilities so this is my only way to get ay kind of edge.

JackPhoenix
2015-11-24, 04:28 PM
Sunbeam and Sunburst cause undead (all of them, not just vampires) and oozes to save with disadvantage. Sunbeam causes 30' of bright light (specifically noted as sunlight) around the casters' hand as long as s/he's concentrating. Daylight never was sunlight, it's just a very bright light, the name doesn't mean anything.

In 3.5, Sunbeam was instakill on undead with light vulnerability if they failed thei saves, but I don't think there's anything like that in 5e

BladeWing81
2015-11-24, 04:41 PM
Sunbeam and Sunburst cause undead (all of them, not just vampires) and oozes to save with disadvantage. Sunbeam causes 30' of bright light (specifically noted as sunlight) around the casters' hand as long as s/he's concentrating. Daylight never was sunlight, it's just a very bright light, the name doesn't mean anything.

In 3.5, Sunbeam was instakill on undead with light vulnerability if they failed thei saves, but I don't think there's anything like that in 5e

I'm noticing that a lot in 5e there are almost no damage type vulnerabilities anymore which in previous editions was the main source for strategy, for undead get maces, for trolls get fire, etc. in 5e there only resistances except for veeeery little exceptions so basically the only strategy left is get a magic weapon...... awesome :smallmad:

MrStabby
2015-11-24, 05:21 PM
So if I remember correctly a vampire is CR13? If your part is level 5-7 you are in for a really tough fight. My advice is to run away, or treat the fight as a culmination of a quest. Take a sage in your party and use them to research where anti-vampire weapons are. Work out how to flood their layer with holy water. Get scrolls and limited use items for backup. Look for allies to fight them and basically use this as a quest to find ways of getting an advantage against these adversaries. (all assuming they are not happy to fight during daylight).

Flashy
2015-11-24, 05:32 PM
I'm noticing that a lot in 5e there are almost no damage type vulnerabilities anymore which in previous editions was the main source for strategy, for undead get maces, for trolls get fire, etc. in 5e there only resistances except for veeeery little exceptions so basically the only strategy left is get a magic weapon...... awesome :smallmad:

I mean, you still need fire for trolls and skeletons are still vulnerable to bludgeoning damage. The iconic monsters kept most of their iconic weaknesses. Silver still overcomes a moderate number of appropriate damage resistances, for example.

In fact, most of the traditional anti-vampire techniques work perfectly well for defeating a vampire, the game just isn't really interested in handing them to you pre-packaged in the form of a spell.

JackPhoenix
2015-11-24, 05:57 PM
Well, the most easily exploited vampiric vulnerability is that radiant damage negates their regeneration for a round... holy water or Sacred Flame should be enough for that (20 hp/round regeneration is nothing to sneeze at, especially if you don't have access to magical weapon to break through the resistances).

With GM cooperation, luring (or grapple-dragging) the vampire into the sunlight, redirecting a river into his lair or possibly evens staking him if he sleeps in his coffin during the day could be possible.

rollingForInit
2015-11-25, 02:25 AM
If you're a low level party you shouldn't fight a true vampire head on. That'll be suicide. Hopefully, the combat will come naturally when you're of an appropriate level. Trust that your DM won't force pretty surefire TPK on you.

Another option might be that you're supposed to trick it or weaken it first. In that case, your DM should give you the opportunity to to do so.

Alejandro
2015-11-25, 01:59 PM
Thanks! that helps a lot... checking the PHB and I only see sunburst and sunbeam that helps on this... which suck because my group is only lvl 7 and our sorcerer is barely 5 and need lvl 11 for this spell.... crap! anybody knows of another sunlight source? there is no vampire damage vulnerabilities so this is my only way to get ay kind of edge.

Shot in the dark (ha)

Are you playing in Hoard of the Dragon Queen?

ad_hoc
2015-11-25, 02:48 PM

The Sun is a great source of sunlight.

E’Tallitnics
2015-11-27, 11:04 AM
Your best bet is to find the vampires coffin. Once you have that, you have a lot more options to peruse.

BladeWing81
2015-11-27, 01:38 PM
Shot in the dark (ha)

Are you playing in Hoard of the Dragon Queen?

Yes, we know there's a vampire AND a white dragon, both are challenge 13. I have no idea how to beat any of them with a lvl 7 party.