PDA

View Full Version : Help me chose a class

SITB
2007-06-04, 07:18 AM
Hello. I'm starting a campaign with my friends and I need help to decide on which character to make.We are 5 players
-Barb/figther
-Duskblade
-Batman Wizard
-???(He doesn't know himself)
I wanna do the big damage but it's important to have a variety of options (in battle and roleplay), I just don't want to get bored like last time I played as a sorcerer(evoker)

Please help me pick a class and build.
Books
-All the complete books
-PHB II
-All books without too much new content(AKA Psionics)

factotum
2007-06-04, 07:21 AM
You seem a bit short of healing or lock-opening characters there...you can't have EVERYONE in the team be a massive damage dealer, unless the DM is providing some sort of NPC healer.

Person_Man
2007-06-04, 07:32 AM
A Druid or Cleric seems to be in order. With the right build you could easily be the best tank in the game, and still provide healing and toolbox utility from your spells.

Your group also could use a Skill Monkey. I've found that Beguilers are extremely versatile and fun to play, and with UMD you can also be the heal-bot for the party, as long as they're willing to chip in for wands.

Droodle
2007-06-04, 07:32 AM
You seem a bit short of healing or lock-opening characters there...you can't have EVERYONE in the team be a massive damage dealer, unless the DM is providing some sort of NPC healer.He's right. I'd go with either a Bard with a level of feat rogue and the able learner feat (so he can buy up on rogue skills) who takes a good bit of his spells from the healing tree or a Priest/Rogue multiclass that enters the Divine Trickster PrC (preferable). Either way, you'll be filling a pretty big hole in your current team dynamic.

kaik25
2007-06-04, 07:42 AM
Hello. I'm starting a campaign with my friends and I need help to decide on which character to make.We are 5 players
-Barb/figther
-Duskblade
-Batman Wizard
-???(He doesn't know himself)
I wanna do the big damage but it's important to have a variety of options (in battle and roleplay), I just don't want to get bored like last time I played as a sorcerer(evoker)

Please help me pick a class and build.
Books
-All the complete books
-PHB II
-All books without too much new content(AKA Psionics)

Amm, Hi again, I'd like to ask something, what about prestige classes? Anything worth looking in to, because I looked into Binders and it's a mess... so something like it but a bit simpler would be in order...

P.s
I'm the guy who opened this thread, with my friends user...

Thanks all

Swooper
2007-06-04, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you need a rogue-ish type in there. I've got a fairly nice damage dealing build for you, modify as needed. Use a rapier(or scimitar if your DM lets you use it for finesse, doesn't matter though) and a kukri. Upgrade those to Keen as soon as possible, then maybe get some enchantments which deal extra damage on crits (iirc the Flaming/Freezing/shocking Burst ones do that).

Level 1: Rogue, Telling Blow feat(PH2 - sneak attack damage on crits), TWF if human.
Level 2: Swashbuckler, gain Weapon Finesse.
Level 3: Swashbuckler. Take TWF if non-human, else WF: Rapier or something. Dodge ->Mobility ->Spring Attack ->Two-Weapon Pounce maybe?
Level 4: Swashbuckler, gain int bonus to damage.
Level 5-X: Rogue, for more sneak attack on those crits.
Level X+1-Y: Some nice PrC. Dervish, for uberness maybe. No wait, that's slashing only, right?

As written, this thing lets you deal pretty solid critical hits pretty often. The downside is, you will suck against things which are immune to criticals.

I think there's something out there that let's you apply weapon specific feats on your other weapon when TWF-ing. I can't remember what it was or where, though. This should set you on the right track though, for a build. Or not, if you don't like it. Whatever.

Bagera
2007-06-05, 08:31 AM
You might want to try an Artificer from the Eberron Campaign Setting, they can fill pretty much all the roles your party lacks.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-06-05, 09:01 AM
Yes, but not only are Artificers setting-specific, they also stink of cheese.
Won't work.

Telonius
2007-06-05, 09:02 AM
If your DM isn't allergic to homebrew, you could try this PrC that my DM and I cooked up: Deus ex Machina (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2364497). Cleric/Artificer mix, can be pretty powerful. Scroll down to Kitrack's post, his version is quite a bit better.

Fronko
2007-06-05, 09:06 AM
I think there's something out there that let's you apply weapon specific feats on your other weapon when TWF-ing. I can't remember what it was or where, though.

Tempest PrC, Complete Adventurer.

SITB
2007-06-05, 10:10 AM
How about this:
1.Rouge(Dodge,Mobility(human))
2.Rouge
3.Rouge(WF.Scimitar)
4.Swashbuckler
5.Swashbuckler
6.Swashbuckler(Combat Expertise)
7.Fighter(TWF)
8.Devrish
9.Devrish/Rouge(Telling Blow)

Fighting with two scimitars(one of them+1keen.) The GM says that because Devrish cannot concentrate while dancing he can't sneak attack(Maybe except the 1st strike)

We start the campaign at the 8th level.

JaronK
2007-06-05, 10:37 AM
You need healing, and you want to deal damage. Druid.

Also, you can disarm traps by summoning critters on to them, no problem.

JaronK