PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude Improved Unarmed Strike...

Rubik
2015-11-25, 02:25 AM
If you apply the aptitude weapon property to a monk's unarmed strike (flurry, decisive strike, or flailing strike), and you already have a lot of reach via Inhuman Reach (+5'), Extended Reach (+5'), and Willing Deformity: Tall (+5'), as well as the Throw Anything feat to count it as a throwing weapon, what feats go especially well with it? Normally, you want to use unarmed strike-only feats on other aptitude weapons, but there have to be some that have a lot of utility on an unarmed strike that is a regular weapon, a reach weapon, and a throwing weapon.

The only one I can think of is the Long Reach feat, from Unapproachable East, which usually applies only to spears and shortspears to give +10' and +5', respectively, but only on your turn.

Metahuman1
2015-11-25, 02:57 AM
flailing strike? What is that from?

Rubik
2015-11-25, 03:04 AM
flailing strike? What is that from?Dragon issue #335. Must be chaotic. Trade in flurry of blows for flailing strike, which starts out by giving you 1d4-1 extra attacks in addition to a full attack for a -2 penalty. It scales up as you increase in levels, capping out at +1d6 attacks at no penalty. Chaos monk also replaces a few other abilities, but flailing strike is the big one.

Also, I think the Versatile Combatant and Tormtor School feats would combine well on throwing aptitude unarmed strikes. The first gives you TWF for free and prevents ranged AoOs, and the second gives you a free ranged attack within 30' every time you make a melee attack as a swift action.

Uncle Pine
2015-11-25, 03:05 AM
You can't use aptitude weapons with Monk's flurry, as it's not a feat. You can, however, use aptitude weapon with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat to... Deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option. Fancy.

Rubik
2015-11-25, 03:17 AM
You can't use aptitude weapons with Monk's flurry, as it's not a feat. You can, however, use aptitude weapon with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat to... Deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option. Fancy.Yes, that's what I'm doing. Aptitude unarmed strikes, as I said. And if you don't think unarmed strikes are the best weapons in the game, I beg to differ. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863)

Uncle Pine
2015-11-25, 04:07 AM
Yes, that's what I'm doing. Aptitude unarmed strikes, as I said. And if you don't think unarmed strikes are the best weapons in the game, I beg to differ. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863)
Oh... I read it the other way around, sorry. I should learn to read posts later in the morning. :smallredface:
And yes, Tippy's trial was an amazing reading.

ben-zayb
2015-11-25, 04:40 AM
Boomerang Ricochet could be fun. Heck, one could even argue that projectile displacement in d&d is Instantaneous, which means all sorts of fun could be had with Sun School, especially when combined with the aforementioned feat.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-25, 07:40 AM
Boomerang Daze leaps out, especially given how many attacks you can land each round.