PDA

View Full Version : 10 foot pole: How to use(uses)/usefulness

The Shadowdove
2015-11-25, 02:27 AM
Hey everyone,

I have made this thread as a result of having read SO many times that players, certainly more clever than myself, have gotten a lot of mileage out of this item.

Unfortunately, its made few appearances in my campaigns over the last decade+ and I would like to know/inform others of what they're missing out on.

PLEASE tell the community:

1) What things can a 10 foot pole be used for?

2) Why is it worth carrying that thing around?!

3) Tell us some stories/a story about how the 10 foot pole was used at your table!

Thank you in advance. The creativity of my fellow gamers never fails to impress, amuse, and inspire me.

I cannot wait to see the answers!

-Dove

Ninja_Prawn
2015-11-25, 03:09 AM
There was a "101 uses for a 10 foot pole" thread a little while ago. Give me a minute and I'll look up the link...

Edit: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?431480-101-Uses-for-a-10-pole) we are. Pretty fun!

The Shadowdove
2015-11-25, 03:17 AM
hah, that's perfect!

Of course someone here had already created a thread dedicated to the usefulness of an underestimated mundane item.

*Hat is off*

Arc-Royal
2015-11-25, 06:30 PM
Depending on how comfortable your DM is with breaking physical laws, there's the peasant railgun, too.

SharkForce
2015-11-25, 10:19 PM
interestingly enough, the linked post starts with discussion of how to transport the pole. in 5th edition, mending is a cantrip and can be used at-will. carrying the standard issue 10' pole (and repairing it after it is destroyed by certain uses) has never been easier :)

(note: mending repairs a single break or tear at a time, but can be used to repair an object broken into many pieces as well, so long as you mend it one piece at a time. so, for example, a pole cut into one-foot lengths takes 9 rounds to assemble back to full length, but can be reused after being turned into rollers or similar).

Gignere
2015-11-25, 10:28 PM
interestingly enough, the linked post starts with discussion of how to transport the pole. in 5th edition, mending is a cantrip and can be used at-will. carrying the standard issue 10' pole (and repairing it after it is destroyed by certain uses) has never been easier :)

(note: mending repairs a single break or tear at a time, but can be used to repair an object broken into many pieces as well, so long as you mend it one piece at a time. so, for example, a pole cut into one-foot lengths takes 9 rounds to assemble back to full length, but can be reused after being turned into rollers or similar).

It isn't 9 rounds, mend is a 1 minute cast. So 10 minutes to assemble the 10 foot pole.

SharkForce
2015-11-25, 10:31 PM
It isn't 9 rounds, mend is a 1 minute cast. So 10 minutes to assemble the 10 foot pole.

fair enough, still not bad. you can even do it while on the move (but not while concentrating on another spell).