PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a band I might like

brains?
2007-06-05, 04:53 AM
Right, so I'm really not switched on to what genres go where and whose in them, nor do I get much in the way of music news besides whats either a) very mainstream b) word-of-mouthed c) featured on UltimateGuitar or d) tabbed in Total Guitar.

As you can imagine, this does not do much to educate me in the way of what I might like. Here's a list of some bands I like. I was hoping someone might feel like, y'know suggesting some bands that are maybe ones I've not already heard.

Metallica
Tool
Megadeth
Slayer
Atreyu
Dashboard Confessional
Iron Maiden
Trivium (but only really ascendancy, the new one kinda sucks)
Bob Marley
Sum41
Misfits
Rancid
Less Than Jake
The Flaming Lips
Jimi Hendrix
Dillinger 4
Mastadon
RHCP
Funeral for a Friend (but, again, only their first two albums)
Minor Threat
Black Flag
Strike Anywhere
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Op Ivy
Arctic Monkeys
Clapton
BBKing
Dead Kennedys
Jeff Buckley
Transplants
Bad Religion
System of a Down
Bullets and Octane
Billy Bragg
Black Label Soceity
Stiff Little Fingers
Gallows
Suicidal Tendencies
NoFX
Pantera
Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies
Flogging Molly
Rise Against
Reel Big Fish
John Coltrane
Aphex Twin

Okay, i realise this is asking a lot but, hey, i find myself possesed of musical ennui.

Lucky
2007-06-05, 05:03 AM
Well, as far as the punk rock section of your list goes, I'm noticing a distinct lack the Ramones, Dropkick Murphys, and Pennywise.

As for the metal, with names like Atreyu, you might try Avenged Sevenfold. Also, to add some variety into your metal, you could pick up some power metal bands link Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica, and Iced Earth. If you enjoy them, I've got plenty more where that came from, as far as power metal goes.

brains?
2007-06-05, 05:15 AM
Oooh I do have some DKs and I can't believed I miss the Ramones. Ill check out Pennywise & the power metal bands though. Not a massive fan of Ax7

Jorkens
2007-06-05, 05:58 AM
You haven't got much UK punk on there - maybe try The Clash, Buzzcocks, The Undertones, the Sex Pistols, Siouxsie...

If you like Bob Marley, you should try some more roots reggae - Peter Tosh, Max Romeo, Lee Perry, The Congos, Burning Spear, Culture... a lot of them are more heavily reggae sounding and less adapted for rock / pop audiences than Marley, and imo they're the better for it.

Which Aphex Twin stuff do you like?

Oh, and a general tip is that the allmusic guide (www.allmusic.com) is pretty handy for figuring out which are the best albums to start with when people have recommended a band to you.

Iron_Mouse
2007-06-05, 06:22 AM
German metal all the way. Try Die Apokalyptischen Reiter for a start.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=688247431

Jack Squat
2007-06-05, 08:55 AM
Well after seeing Clapton and BB King, I'm going to suggest Little Feat, Allman Brothers, and Johnny Lang. All have a kind of bluesy feel to them.

Kitya
2007-06-05, 11:22 AM
What bout bigband type stuff? If you like that style at all, try Big Rude Jake... he's modern Big Band/jazz/blues. Not so mainstream in the States tho... it's a canadian group.

And I can't believe, with the eclectic nature of your music that you don't have Jimmy Buffet anywhere in there! *grin*

And if you just want totally weird to make youre friends think you're insane, get Arrogant Worms, and Captain Tractor. Both are Canadian groups, but insanely hilarious... Arrogant Worms have songs like "Carrot Juice is Murder" and "I am Cow" that one starts out as "I am cow, hear me moo, I weigh twice as much as you, and I taste great on the BBQ!" ummm yeah... a lil weird... but FUNNY!!! :smallbiggrin:

Vespe Ratavo
2007-06-05, 11:29 AM
I second Blind Guardian. Blind Guardian is awesome.

Amotis
2007-06-05, 11:41 AM
You might dig some Post-Metal stuff; Pelican, Isis, Red Sparrows, etc.

Iono, do you want more stuff that sounds like the ones you have? Same genre?

BlackStaticWolf
2007-06-05, 11:52 AM
Hmm...

Since you like Flogging Molly, you might also like the Dropkick Murphies.

Jorkens
2007-06-05, 12:10 PM
Hmm...

Oh, I forgot to mention: if you like Flogging Molly you should almost certainly get the Pogues' If I Should Fall From Grace With God and / or Rum, Sodomy and the Lash.

Mephibosheth
2007-06-05, 12:25 PM
I noticed you included Coltrane in the mix (good call by the way). I'm sure we could spend all of eternity suggesting awesome jazz musicians for you to listen to, but I suggest checking out a guy named Toots Thielemans (http://www.tootsthielemans.com/), a jazz guitarist and harmonica player from Belgium. He's often credited with introducing the chromatic harmonica to jazz, and is truly an awesome musician. In the blues/jazz vein, I also really like Charlie Musselwhite (a blues harmonica player) and Dave Brubeck (a jazz pianist and composer).

Hope that helps!

Mephibosheth

Penguinsushi
2007-06-05, 12:40 PM
Hmm...

I guess... I mean, I too like them both, but I think they're pretty different. Despite the fact that both have a distinct scotch/irish flair, their styles diverge significantly. The Dropkick Murphys have a more polished 'rock' sound, where Flogging Molly's style is significantly crunchier, but is, i think, a bit more authentic to its roots.

As for other bands...I'm not familiar with all of the bands you mentioned, but here are a few in my playlist that haven't been mentioned yet (I don't *think*) and that wouldn't jive too badly as far as I know. Some of them are pretty well known - so you may have heard of them, but oh well...

Alkaline Trio
Boy Sets Fire
The Get Up Kids (maybe?)
The Impossibles
My Chemical Romance
Story of the Year
Strung Out
Taking Back Sunday
Thrice

For your mellower side, might i suggest Guster and Voltaire...

And, when recommending stuff to Oots-goers, one shouldn't fail to mention the Brobdingnagian Bards...

:smallwink:

~PS

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-05, 02:15 PM
You sound like you might like Muse's rockier stuff. Their slower stuff ain't really that hot, but once they cut the crap and get their funk on, they're quite awesome. Same for MCR.

Some of Saliva's stuff might take your fancy. I reccomend Twister, Ladies and Gentlemen, and Black Sheep, as they're pretty heavy.

waspsmakejam
2007-06-05, 04:49 PM
The Clash - because you have Billy Bragg in your list.

Rincewind
2007-06-05, 04:57 PM
Metallica
Tool
Megadeth
Slayer
Atreyu
Dashboard Confessional
Iron Maiden
Trivium (but only really ascendancy, the new one kinda sucks)
Bob Marley
Sum41
Misfits
Rancid
Less Than Jake
The Flaming Lips
Jimi Hendrix
Dillinger 4
Mastadon
RHCP
Funeral for a Friend (but, again, only their first two albums)
Minor Threat
Black Flag
Strike Anywhere
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Op Ivy
Arctic Monkeys
Clapton
BBKing
Dead Kennedys
Jeff Buckley
Transplants
Bad Religion
System of a Down
Bullets and Octane
Billy Bragg
Black Label Soceity
Stiff Little Fingers
Gallows
Suicidal Tendencies
NoFX
Pantera
Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies
Flogging Molly
Rise Against
Reel Big Fish
John Coltrane
Aphex Twin

ahh... well...
:frown:

Stagger Lee
2007-06-05, 05:40 PM
The Circle Jerks are good.
So are The Germs.
And Minor Threat.
You might like X-Ray Spex. I strongly suggest The Clash, and My Bloody Valentine. The Pogues are great as well.
They're a bit posey, but The Exploited have some good crap. Although someone who likes My Chemical Romance and Sum41 probably doesn't care about authenticity. No offense intended.

FdL
2007-06-05, 08:30 PM
As I usually recommend, go for the "unknown" classics, trace the influences of the bands you like to discover the undiluted source of their style.

BTW, nice bunch of bands you threw there, Stagger Lee.

If I have to make a recommendation today, I'd say Gang of Four's "Entertainment". That's a record that doesn't get old! Been blasting it in my car and it rules so much.
Is it still out of print?????? That would be a crime, especially with all those imitators lately.

zeratul
2007-06-05, 09:17 PM
Check out the bands "Sparta", and "Nirvana" you might like 'em.

brains?
2007-06-06, 02:24 AM
@Stagger Lee: At no point did I say I liked MCR. And I think "autheniticity" is for people who like to use music tastes to lord over other people :smalltongue: And Minor Threat is on there.

Rykaj
2007-06-06, 04:12 AM
Two obvious well known bands are Deftones and Perfect Circle. Otherwise Audrey Horne might fit in as well.

And of course you have to listen Pink Floyd as well.

Oh and maybe Porcupine Tree might fit in there as well. Good luck, I think you got loads of suggestions already. Should keep you occupied for a month at least :smallwink:

Dr._Weird
2007-06-06, 09:17 AM

The Beatles, man. Everyone likes the Beatles.

Stagger Lee
2007-06-06, 12:33 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. Read something wrong.
Also, you might want to check out The Fall. And The Stranglers.

doliemaster
2007-06-06, 12:39 PM
I would say from personal expirence-
Linkin park and Queen are both great bands.

Gaelbert
2007-06-11, 01:19 AM
I like Dropkick Murphys newer stuff, although I do like Drink and Fight. Interesting song.:smallbiggrin:

Amotis
2007-06-11, 01:36 AM
I like Dropkick Murphys newer stuff, although I do like Drink and Fight. Interesting song.:smallbiggrin:

I don't even listen to those guys that much and I know that song. :smallamused:

"And we'll drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and fight! Hey!"

MoelVermillion
2007-06-11, 02:00 AM
Everybody loves Black Sabbath. Okay maybe not, however many of the bands you listed are enjoyed by my friends who happen to also love Black Sabbath so might be worth looking at.

Qooroo
2007-06-12, 03:44 PM
Second the recommendations for Queen & Pink Floyd. Everyone needs more of those.

Also, given the metal you recommended, go check out Dream Theater. Right now. I recommend Images & Words. Good sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNp4tMcpM10

FdL
2007-06-12, 07:19 PM
I don't even listen to those guys that much and I know that song. :smallamused:

"And we'll drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and drink and fight! Hey!"

Subtle, intellectual stuff. Soo my cup of tea...

Sewer_Bandito
2007-06-12, 08:35 PM
Well, I see Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake in there, so I may as well throw in some of my favorite, more obscure ska bands.

Suburban Legends, Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto (you'll probly really like these guys judging by what's on there) The Planet Smashers, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones-start with The Impression That I Get, Five Iron Frenzy, and The Aquabats.

EDIT- I can't beleive I forgot these guys. The Forces of Evil is like the RBF that no one knows about. They have the Reel Big Fish's lead singer (which also means lead guitarist) as well as few other members from RBF, they're pretty much a ska superband. But they have an album out that is pretty much s Reel Big Fish album no one's ever heard of :smallbiggrin:

God_of_Luck
2007-06-12, 09:17 PM
You are missing Kreator.

Catch
2007-06-12, 09:23 PM
I see a bunch of good punk and ska bands in your list, but I don't see The Bouncing Souls or Social Distortion. This could change. Also, I recommend The Unseen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14iog5RVII) and The International Noise Conspiracy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRYwnqzAUSw).

Mr Horse
2007-06-30, 05:30 AM
If you like Aphex Twin, check out

Amon Tobin
Venetian Snares
Detritus
Black Lung
Keef Baker
Bong-Ra
Haujobb
Drop The Lime
Autechre
Displacer
Gridlock
Kid 606
Xabec
Coil
Silk Saw
Architect
Evol Intent
Axiome / Kirdec
Duncan Avoid
Iszoloscope
Henrik Nordvargr Björkk
Hecate
Scrap.Edx
Tarmvred
Velapene Screen
Dead Hollywood Stars
Xingu Hill

And if you like Mastodon, also check out

The Dillinger Escape Plan
Neurosis
Red Sparrowes
Jesu
Pig Destroyer
Old Man Gloom
The End
Godflesh
Dälek
Ion Dissonance
Crowpath

Edivad
2007-06-30, 05:47 AM
If you like power metal - especially the Nordic kind - you really should try and listen to some Turisas. I also suggest Blind Guardian.

Lucky
2007-06-30, 06:01 AM
If you like power metal - especially the Nordic kind - you really should try and listen to some Turisas. I also suggest Blind Guardian.Turisas eh? I might check them out, a rare power metal band I have not heard of.

Edit: I'll second Turisas, pretty good stuff.

Indon
2007-07-01, 11:52 AM
Iron Maiden

Extrapolating from _just_ this band (heh), I'd recommend bands like Rush, Symphony X, Iced Earth, and Rhapsody. I know Blind Guardian's been mentioned, but I'll echo that they're good too.

Pyro
2007-07-01, 04:16 PM
How has no one said Bob Dylan, The Eagles, or U2. I'm ashamed of you people.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-07-01, 04:33 PM
Agalloch.

A sort of folky doomy black metal band, they are awesome.

I love them.

Mr the Geoff
2007-07-01, 05:32 PM
So far no-one has mentioned

Machine Head
Rammstein
Pitchshifter
Korn

faerwain
2007-07-01, 05:47 PM
Agalloch.

A sort of folky doomy black metal band, they are awesome.

I love them.

Went to their page and listened to one song, liked it very much.

I will always and to everyone recommend Vintersorg, especially Till Fjälls and Odemarkens Son.

Oh, and Pagalguenna are fantastic*whistle*

Sundog
2007-07-01, 11:19 PM
I'll add my recommendation for the Clash to the many already placed. There are a few Aussie Hard-Rock bands you might like, AC-DC and Cold Chisel. Icehouse is also very good.

Vaynor
2007-07-02, 03:57 AM
Less Than Jake
Dead Kennedys
Reel Big Fish

Dead Kennedy's are quite similar (or so I'm told) to Mustard Plug, awesome band, check them out.

Well, I see Reel Big Fish and Less Than Jake in there, so I may as well throw in some of my favorite, more obscure ska bands.

Suburban Legends, Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto (you'll probly really like these guys judging by what's on there) The Planet Smashers, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones-start with The Impression That I Get, Five Iron Frenzy, and The Aquabats.

I was JUST about to suggest all of the bolded bands. *grrr*

Here's a few more you might like:
Buck-O-Nine
The Fratellis
Mad Caddies
Madness
MU330

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-02, 09:36 AM
If it's ultimate guitar you want to hear: Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps!
It's rock 'n roll like every punkrocker loves to hear, fast paced and simple at first glance... :)

TruenuffTrey
2007-07-11, 02:39 PM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Pandora.

It's an online radio tool, in which you enter in songs and artists that you like, and it recommends and plays similar songs based on the qualities of the song.

check it out:
http://www.pandora.com

bigbaddragon
2007-07-11, 07:08 PM
Darkseed - album "Diving Into Darkness" for instance,
The Darkness
Falconer (pay attention to the song "Lament Of A Minstrel")
Green Carnation
Helloween (if you like Iron Maiden you should try them too)
INXS
Kamelot
Sabaton
Kiss
Lake Of Tears
Loreena McKennitt
Dire Straits
Mark Knopfler
Rainbow
Deep Purple
Pink Floyd
The 69 Eyes
Whitesnake
Paradise Lost (album "One Second" - heres one song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4mbGBYDRA))
Pegasus
Sinergy
Sirenia
Children Of Bodom
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Suidakra
To Die For
Angel Dust
Gamma Ray
Iced Earth
Iron Savior
AFI

danzig777
2007-08-01, 08:29 PM
alright so due to the metal i am going to suggest two progressive metal bands you might like.
first off is Dream Theatre. check out their Train of Thought album and images and words album.

the second is Queensryche. you should check out their albums "Operation: Mindcrime" and "Empires"

also i see you like the misfits so i have to say Danzig cause of the obvious connection there and the pure fact that glenn Danzig is a god. his self titled is good so is Danzig II Lucifuge, and How The Gods Kill

EntilZha
2007-08-01, 09:15 PM
As the Official Metalhead of the I Hate Miko Club, permit me to recommend the following bands:

Virgin Steele
Manowar
Nevermore
Siebenburgen
Symphony X
Cradle of Filth
Kittie
Gamma Ray
Nightwish
Edenbridge
Lacuna Coil
Midnattsol
Hammerfall
Scar Symmetry
Steel Attack
Stratovarius

I agree with Danzig777 about Dream Theater, I recommend them highly as well. Along the prog line, I suggest The Mars Volta, check out "De-Loused in the Comatorium" first.

I don't know how you feel about psychobilly rock, but The Cramps are an awesome band in that late 70's/early 80's neo-punk vibe.