PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Artificer: Why is this a PC class?

Endarire
2015-11-25, 03:19 AM
I get that Artificers (from Eberron Campaign Setting) are basically single class Rogue/Wizards who specialize in item creation. Still, that's their shtick. They make items, cast the occasional buff infusion, and sometimes go on the offensive with melee or/and ranged attacks. It's kinda like being a magical gadgeteer as a PC class.

Still, considering that making magic items on the cheap is basically the only reason to play this class, why is an Artificer a PC class? Other classes do the magic thing better (like Wizards for casting), the martial thing better (Rangers, martial adepts...), and the skill thing better (Rogue1/WizardX with maxed Search/Disable Device has a lot of overlap with Artificer.)

avr
2015-11-25, 03:26 AM
It's kinda like being a magical gadgeteer as a PC class.
This is the reason. People wanted this! The implementation has several problems, but the class exists to fill the gadgeteer concept, as well as the in-universe explanation of where all these magic items you're buying or looting come from.

Deophaun
2015-11-25, 06:20 AM
Other classes do the magic thing better (like Wizards for casting)
Artificers have access to every spell list, they gain access two levels earlier than any class, and they have a level 1 infusion that lets them spontaneously cast any spell they have access to up to level 4. I don't think there's any class that can do magic better. Easier, yes. Better, no.

LudicSavant
2015-11-25, 07:29 AM
It's kinda like being a magical gadgeteer as a PC class. Well, that's the answer right there.

Still, considering that making magic items on the cheap is basically the only reason to play this class

Don't we actually have a guide on this forum about playing Artificers that don't craft much?

Ah, found it: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427628-Disregard-Money-Acquire-Buff-Spells-Artificers-without-the-Artifice

Artificer infusions are actually pretty great. For example, if I cast the 2nd level infusion "Armor Enhancement," I can give an ally Greater Healing Armor. That means at level 3 you are handing an ally the ability to cure 3d8+15 hp as a swift action (or even a non-action if they get knocked unconscious), twice, at a level where that's basically all of their HP (For example, a level 3 Fighter with 14 Constitution has an average of 27hp; greater healing armor heals an average of 28.5hp. If said Fighter gets knocked out, he automatically pops back up with full or near-full hp). That's 6d8+30hp of healing from a 2nd level Infusion, delivered in an action-efficient way.

Artificers also have access to every spell list and a good set of Skills. They can also be built to be good at a wide variety of things... minions, melee, wands, all kinds of stuff.

Âmesang
2015-11-25, 09:16 AM
I enjoy the concept of the artificer and the flavor surrounding the class… but it's name has given me no loss of confusion when it comes to a material called "red steel":

An artificer who crafts a magic weapon or armor from red steel pays only 75% of the normal XP cost.
So this was from a January issue, and Eberron was released in June of the same year, no? :smalltongue: So I can't tell if that line is referring to artificer the class, or "artificer" as in "anyone who crafts (magic) items." Bleah.