PDA

View Full Version : Monster Manual 5

Jimp
2007-06-05, 06:33 AM
I just saw it in the Next Month column of the wizards site.
So, anyone thinking of buying it?
I'm going to give it a miss. I've only ever used 1 creature out of MM 2-4 and 2 from Fiend Folio. My shelves are cluttered enough as it is.

Darkflame
2007-06-05, 06:39 AM
I can certainly cope without anymore Monster Manuals.

I liked the various books that focussed on specific Monster types (Draconomicon and Libris Mortis, for example), but generic Monster Manuals don't do it for me.

Chris

Rahdjan
2007-06-05, 07:04 AM
I don't even own the first Monster Manual.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-05, 07:06 AM
Everyone knows I love me creepy crawlies and fanged beasts, but the new format has totally put me off my appetite. Not only that, but the MM IV was so utterly dull and filled with so much needless filler that I don't have high hopes for future publications.

Charity
2007-06-05, 07:12 AM
I thought you were the monster manual 5 ^

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-05, 07:19 AM
I don't even own the first Monster Manual.

I'm in the same boat as this guy. MMs never appealed to me, because I don't see a reason to buy one when 99% of my villains are human-like in nature. With a human-like villain, I know how to make him that much more of an evil, conniving, little ********. A monster? Most of them are just following their innate biological callings, others have alien-minds that are incomprehensible from the outside anyway, and still more are just recklessly Chaotic Stupid rather than true villain material.

The White Knight
2007-06-05, 07:34 AM

Hahaha, awesome. But really though - VT's concoctions are, at the very least, far more interesting than some of the haphazard creations presented in the MMs. I'd rather buy a book of his than another WotC MM.

Penguinsushi
2007-06-05, 08:03 AM
Everyone knows I love me creepy crawlies and fanged beasts, but the new format has totally put me off my appetite. Not only that, but the MM IV was so utterly dull and filled with so much needless filler that I don't have high hopes for future publications.

That is almost me exactly as well. The only reason I own a MMIV, is because I got it for about half price...

As for the V, I'll probably give it a look and then decide. If there's anything I think is cool in it, there's about a 50/50 chance i'll end up with it...

I'm in the same boat as this guy. MMs never appealed to me, because I don't see a reason to buy one when 99% of my villains are human-like in nature. With a human-like villain, I know how to make him that much more of an evil, conniving, little ********. A monster? Most of them are just following their innate biological callings, others have alien-minds that are incomprehensible from the outside anyway, and still more are just recklessly Chaotic Stupid rather than true villain material.

Actually, that's not true. Most of the critters in the MM's are completely sentient - and quite a few, in fact, are smarter (on average) than the humanoid races. I haven't done the math, but I'd guess that less than 1/3 of the published monsters have only an animalistic intelligence. There are very few who's minds are completely alien - most with inhuman psychological makeups are at least comprehensible by the world around them (if a bit deviant), otherwise interaction would be too random to make sense. As for the others being 'chaotic stupid', I think that just depends on how you play them.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with your approach of using humanish villains. Sometimes that's the best way to go. I'm just saying that I'm betting almost all of your human-like villains' personalities could easily be plausible as monstrous creatures as well - so it's really more an issue of style and taste.

~PS

Fako
2007-06-05, 08:16 AM
Hahaha, awesome. But really though - VT's concoctions are, at the very least, far more interesting than some of the haphazard creations presented in the MMs. I'd rather buy a book of his than another WotC MM.

I second this one...I'd love to get my mitts on a VT MM.

Charity
2007-06-05, 08:25 AM

VT's e-book of e-vil will be hitting a forum near you any day now... Or at least it should if there is any justice.

Dark Knight Renee
2007-06-05, 08:47 AM
I didn't bother with the MM4, and from the looks of it won't be bothering with ths one, either. It promises to have few new monsters, inevitably fewer useful ones, and lots of space wasted on stuff like Gnolls with Class Levels. No, thanks.

Renegade Paladin
2007-06-05, 10:30 AM
As a lazy DM who's in a constant arms race with his players, I'll give it a look, but it's not an automatic buy. If I don't like what I see in the store, it stays on the shelf.

As for not owning the original MM, most of my villains are humanoid too... but those humanoids include those of the "savage" variety, and there's nothing like a polymorphed dragon to mix things up a bit in an intrigue-based campaign arc. :smallamused:

Skyserpent
2007-06-05, 12:45 PM
Xern were cool...

Rincewind
2007-06-05, 02:16 PM
I've read and will be reading each and every D&D 3rd - 3.5 edition rule, errata book ever published.

There's only one, ONE, 1, I, uno monster book that I can suggest. Buy it. Read it.

"The Lords of Madness"

Probably the best book D&d dudes have ever written.

Morty
2007-06-05, 02:22 PM
Since many monsters in first M&M look like offspring of octopus and bicycle, I don't even imagine what's in next ones. So, no, thanks.

Dhavaer
2007-06-05, 02:30 PM
I'll buy it if and only if every monster in there is a grick that's either advanced or has some kind of template, each with at least a page of backstory. And there should be a long discussion on the grick psyche and ecology.

Gricks don't get enough love.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-05, 02:38 PM
I'll look at it and keep a copy if I can get it free, but it isn't something I have any real interest in.

I do like the Shadesteel Golems from the MM3 though.

Rincewind
2007-06-05, 02:40 PM
"Lords of Madness" is made of Aboleths, Beholders, Illithids, Neogi, Grell and Tsochar... Sod most of them...

I cried man tears of joy as I read the chapters about the Mind Flayers, Tsochars and the Aboleths...

Just mentioning this books brings tears to my eyes... It's so beautiful...

Oh man... Roy, why did you die????...

:frown:

Jimp
2007-06-05, 03:15 PM
Lords of Madness was fantastic alright. I'd tend to put it in the same category as Draconomicon and such though, rather than a monster manual.

bosssmiley
2007-06-05, 04:53 PM

The Hivemind commands that this eggy drone adds its' "+1" to the consensus.

Unless the MM5 has VT's meatworld name adorning the credits section, I will not be spending my hard-earned £££s on it. That man gives us more monsterish goodness in one post than was contained in the entire MM4!

Open message to WOTC: hire Vorpal Tribble as a contributing author on the next D&D monster book. His sheer "this is now it should be done-ness" needs the widest audience possible.

Damionte
2007-06-05, 05:07 PM
I always pick up the monster manuals. Even the monster manuals from other sources. The more monsters I have to pull from the better. Most players don't pick up or study all of the monster manuals. so the more variety Ihave the better. My play group is made up of players with 15-30 years of D&D play time a piece. and it's an 8 person play group so you have to work hard to find monsters they're not intimately familiar with.

Charity
2007-06-05, 05:10 PM

Shhhh are you mad, don't tell the Americans about the hivemind! (they've been looking for a lost brain for years now)

Fax Celestis
2007-06-05, 05:12 PM
Open message to WOTC: hire Vorpal Tribble as a contributing author on the next D&D monster book. His sheer "this is now it should be done-ness" needs the widest audience possible.

I keep trying to get VT to do a book with me, but he keeps turning me down. :smallfrown:

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-06-05, 06:19 PM
Need 1, 2 was ok, 3 was amazing.

4 sucked, didn't buy it.

5 looks a lot like 4.

Lords of Madness- 2nd Favorite splat-book ever.

Jack Mann
2007-06-05, 06:39 PM
Lords of Madness plus Heroes of Horror plus a comprehensive review of Vorpal's creations equals joy in my black, dungeon master heart.

Orzel
2007-06-05, 06:56 PM
I fill my dungeons with very high level fighters, evil sandwiches, basic wizards, pack animals, and vermn with too many HD.

I don't buy MMs. Too much things I never use because I only CoDM.

de-trick
2007-06-05, 07:05 PM
id get none cause why have 3 million monsters that u use once or zero times

Icewalker
2007-06-05, 07:39 PM
I don't have any. I make all my own monsters.

May get 1 from my friend though, he stopped playing and has it.

Valdyr
2007-06-05, 08:56 PM
I'm still waiting for one of these monster manuals to have either a Mauve or a Puce Dragon.

I'll buy that one.

Sundog
2007-06-05, 09:07 PM
I get a lot of use out of 1, a little out of 2, quite a bit from 3 (as I mostly play Eberron games) and a fair bit from the Fiend Folio. 4 I didn't (and won't) buy because it has nothing new. This looks the same.

Lords of Madness is quite useful. So is the Libris Mortis.

OzymandiasVolt
2007-06-05, 10:04 PM
I'm going to wait until after I've read it to judge its content.

Rincewind
2007-06-06, 02:26 AM
Lords of Madness plus Heroes of Horror plus a comprehensive review of Vorpal's creations equals joy in my black, dungeon master heart.

I hear you brother...

chaosbrand
2007-06-06, 04:46 AM
I bought MMIV just for some reading. Disappointing, though, so MMV probably won't be worth the cash if it's similarly built.

Alveanerle
2007-06-06, 04:54 AM

Oh my, maybe someone should post a sticky thread referencing all VT creations?

Charity
2007-06-06, 05:38 AM
I'm going to wait until after I've read it to judge its content.

What kind of woolly thinking is this?
This is the internet! Get with the program, everything must be prejudged and found wanting, haven't you read your 'Bile venting on the net guide'?

I'm not a big buyer of books, I tend to find there are alternative methods of getting your hands on the info, if needs be. Though I have access to MM 2, 3 and whatnot, I almost never use any of them anyhow.

Fax you should make VT an offer he can't refuse. (Just imagine the head that he'd wake up next to!)

bosssmiley
2007-06-07, 02:15 PM
I fill my dungeons with very high level fighters, evil sandwiches, basic wizards, pack animals, and vermn with too many HD.

These malignant foodstuffs intrigue me, and I wish to know more. :smallconfused:

RTGoodman
2007-06-07, 03:09 PM
At some point, I'm gonna have a whole campaign with nothing but the monsters in the MM1 that are silly and/or I've never seen anyone use. Achaierai, Athachs, Ettercaps, Magmin, Phasms, Sea Cats, Shocker Lizards, Will O' Wisps, Yrthaks, and all the rest. In general, though, I like MM1.

My gaming group has MMII, and there are only few things in it I'd ever use. Like Yak-Folk. And Cadaver Collectors. I would say Razor Boars, but they're apparently OGC, so they're in the SRD. On the other hand, I love MMIII. It has some of the coolest monsters (Boneclaw, anyone?) in the series, and some pretty cool races that I would consider using in a homebrew world (Kenkus, those Goat-folk things, etc.). I thought MMIV seemed like a waste - I have no need for templated or otherwise "upgraded" regular monsters, and the only thing I'd consider using are the Spawn of Tiamat (and that's only because I'm currently running Red Hand of Doom).

As far as MMV, if it looks anything like MMIV, I'll probably not buy it. But if there's enough stuff in it to warrant spending the money, I may (or wait until I can get it cheap on Amazon).

DraPrime
2007-06-07, 07:06 PM
The only reason why I'd ever buy this is because one of the players I DM for has an unbelievable amount of D&D books. I'm constantly trying to stay ahead of him. Then again I have the internet, so screw MM5. Fiend Folio, MM, MM3, and the all the books that have a small chapter devoted to monsters put together, have all the monsters I need.

EvilElitest
2007-06-07, 07:41 PM
Since many monsters in first M&M look like offspring of octopus and bicycle, I don't even imagine what's in next ones. So, no, thanks.

WOTC keeps a small prison under their main office building, where they torture insane people so they come up with these monsters
from,
EE

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-07, 07:44 PM
blah balh Yak-Folk.*snip*

That creation-nay, the premise of that race in and of itself is enough to salvage ANYTHING from being horrible.

EvilElitest
2007-06-07, 07:47 PM
Shhhh are you mad, don't tell the Americans about the hivemind! (they've been looking for a lost brain for years now)

We found it, the English had it all along, and they sold it to switerland who then gave it to canada, who have hidden in in the heart of the free health care office, and so to obtain it we would have to give our country free health care and we can't do that.

In american
from,
EE

DraPrime
2007-06-07, 08:45 PM
WOTC keeps a small prison under their main office building, where they torture insane people so they come up with these monsters
from,
EE

It's not that bad for us. Every Thursday they let us fool around on the internet.

Fax Celestis
2007-06-07, 09:01 PM
It's not that bad for us. Every Thursday they let us fool around on the internet.

And there are those of us that manage to escape.

geez3r
2007-06-07, 09:05 PM
I've only got MM2 (or 3 can't remember) and the SRD. In MM2/3, there were some good monsters, not great ones but good ones. I don't know, it just seemed a little over done. I mean seriously, how many of these critters can be wandering about before you start questioning how anything is still alive. There can only be a few alpha predators that eat a small town/week before the ecosystem starts to crumble

Korias
2007-06-07, 09:08 PM
I second this one...I'd love to get my mitts on a VT MM.

I full heartedly agree. Now I must make a Compendium for VT.

As for MMV, no. I refuse to get anything past MM3.

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-07, 10:45 PM

Unless the MM5 has VT's meatworld name adorning the credits section, I will not be spending my hard-earned £££s on it. That man gives us more monsterish goodness in one post than was contained in the entire MM4!

+1'd!

I full heartedly agree. Now I must make a Compendium for VT.

...you have been to his, uh, compendium (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=831058), right?

Rob Knotts
2007-06-07, 11:56 PM
From an initerview posted over on EN World (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=196154) in April:
Any word on either the were-flamingo or an anthromorphic flamingo?

2008 is pretty much the Year of the Flamingo. Look for about 1,500 pages over 5 books directed toward their exploration and development.

It all ties into our new line of D&D mascara.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-06-08, 04:48 PM
Heh... Puce dragons...

The world is doomed.

Korias
2007-06-08, 05:16 PM
...you have been to his, uh, compendium (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=831058), right?

Nope. I never go to the Wizards boards.

Tough_Tonka
2007-06-08, 09:13 PM
I'll buy it if and only if every monster in there is a grick that's either advanced or has some kind of template, each with at least a page of backstory. And there should be a long discussion on the grick psyche and ecology.

Gricks don't get enough love.

That's because they haven't earned any!!!:smallfurious:

But I might just be saying that do to a one spell boss kill from a level 2 Wizard that occured only time I used one as a DM.