PDA

View Full Version : Help me with an Effigy Rust Monster

Fixer
2007-06-05, 08:49 AM
I am not near my books and anyone with a Complete Arcane should be able to answer this one:

Can you make an effigy of a rust monster which retains its rusting touch using the RAW? Thinking of giving one to a construct-specializing wizard BBEG to use against the PCs.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-05, 09:14 AM
Sure you could. Just integrate an item of Rusting Grasp into its antennae.

You can give any construct any ability you like if you give it use-activated magical items!

Swooper
2007-06-05, 09:15 AM
If this is even possible (I'd check, but I'm at work), it's worth throwing at the folks at wizards.com for inclusion in their wussname-templated-monsters-that-don't-make-sense column. Yes, the one with the half-dragon dragons and stuff.

An effigy rust monster that retains it's rusting grasp ability is all kinds of silly :smallbiggrin: My hat off to you sir, for thinking of it!

Fixer
2007-06-05, 09:30 AM
If you take a rust monster (Small Aberration) and add the Effigy template to it (the effects I do not have handy), will it retain its (Ex) Rusting Grasp ability or does the template take it away?

Fixer
2007-06-05, 10:31 AM
Done now.

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Templates.pdf

Nope, no Rust Monster Effigy with Rust Touch "naturally". :(

And here I was hoping I'd found a way of having a completely controllable "rust monster".

OzymandiasVolt
2007-06-05, 12:12 PM
Constructs are pretty terrible anyway. You pay massive amounts of gold and experience to gain a minion when you could get much better ones for a small amount of gold and a necromancy spell.

Fixer
2007-06-05, 12:29 PM
Constructs are pretty terrible anyway. You pay massive amounts of gold and experience to gain a minion when you could get much better ones for a small amount of gold and a necromancy spell.

Yeah, it just doesn't fit the theme of the BBEG. Necromancers are cliche BBEG. An artificer BBEG was far more interesting.

Although I suppose letting him have a minion with Animate Dead on a rust monster body would suffice too, but then the matter of controlling it comes up. :/

kpenguin
2007-06-05, 12:29 PM
True, but you won't find as many people objecting to constructs as undead. You've got paladins, good clerics, and druids coming down on you for your little skeleton friend. Nobody finds fault with an effigy (except maybe a very strict druid)

Fixer
2007-06-06, 06:52 AM
True, but you won't find as many people objecting to constructs as undead. You've got paladins, good clerics, and druids coming down on you for your little skeleton friend. Nobody finds fault with an effigy (except maybe a very strict druid)

Actually, that was what made this BBEG so bad. The Law didn't consider him a threat so the PCs would have to 'take him on alone' without the assistance of the Law as well as trying to avoid breaking the Law as well.