PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about multiple weapon enhancements..

dehro
2015-11-25, 01:21 PM
specifically, magebane and bane.
each of them adds +2 to the weapon enhancement against arcane magic users and a specific subtype of enemies, respectively.
for example, let's say I have a +1 magebane, bane (vs evil outsiders), sword. which, give or take, costs like a +3 weapon if I am correct.
I'm trying to hit an evil thiefling mage... does my weapon become a +3 or a +5 weapon?
do I deal +4d6 or +2d6 additional damage?

Curmudgeon
2015-11-25, 02:11 PM
These both provide enhancement bonuses. Bonuses of the same type overlap rather than stack.

Douglas
2015-11-25, 02:25 PM
These both provide enhancement bonuses.
No, they do not. If they did, they wouldn't stack with the base enhancement either.

Both Bane and Magebane set the weapon's enhancement bonus to "+2 better than its normal enhancement bonus". As both refer to the base number, this part does not stack. The weapon is +3 against this opponent.

Both Bane and Magebane deal "extra 2d6 damage". This is not a bonus, in the technical sense the stacking rules care about, and thus stacks. You deal +4d6 total extra damage.

dehro
2015-11-25, 02:30 PM
I like Douglas' version better :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2015-11-25, 02:44 PM
No, they do not. If they did, they wouldn't stack with the base enhancement either.

Both Bane and Magebane set the weapon's enhancement bonus to "+2 better than its normal enhancement bonus".
You've explicitly stated that they provide an enhancement bonus of +2 better than normal, after denying that these weapon properties provide an enhancement bonus. :smallconfused:

They stack with the normal enhancement bonus because they say they do, right in your quote.

Genth
2015-11-25, 02:55 PM
I think there's a difference between providing an enhancement bonus and modifying the enhancement bonus that already exists. In this case, it's the latter, both 'modify' the enhancement bonus to 2 higher than normal. I'd say RAW they don't stack, as they're both setting it to the same amount, but the damage does. (Though since shaky rules, and since you're paying the extra cost anyway, as a GM I'd allow them to stack)

Aleolus
2015-11-25, 04:24 PM
I seem to remember reading it stated that if you have the Bane property against multiple creature types and more than one of them applies then they all apply. For instance if you had a weapon that was Bane (Outsider: Evil) and Bane (Outsider: Lawful) and you attacked a Devil with it it would improve the enhancement bonus by 4 and deal 4d6 extra damage

dehro
2015-11-25, 04:28 PM
I'm thinking I should just go magebane+holy rather than magebane+bane.

but yeah, it looks like I'll have to ask the DM whether the enhancement is +2 or +4

Douglas
2015-11-25, 04:39 PM
You've explicitly stated that they provide an enhancement bonus of +2 better than normal, after denying that these weapon properties provide an enhancement bonus. :smallconfused:

They stack with the normal enhancement bonus because they say they do, right in your quote.
Looks like Genth already typed up my rebuttal:

I think there's a difference between providing an enhancement bonus and modifying the enhancement bonus that already exists. In this case, it's the latter, both 'modify' the enhancement bonus to 2 higher than normal. I'd say RAW they don't stack, as they're both setting it to the same amount, but the damage does. (Though since shaky rules, and since you're paying the extra cost anyway, as a GM I'd allow them to stack)

Curmudgeon
2015-11-26, 12:29 AM
I think there's a difference between providing an enhancement bonus and modifying the enhancement bonus that already exists.
Sure, there's a difference; it's relative rather than absolute. However, more of an enhancement bonus is still an enhancement bonus.

OldTrees1
2015-11-26, 01:42 PM
Sure, there's a difference; it's relative rather than absolute. However, more of an enhancement bonus is still an enhancement bonus.

Eh, depends on if it is changing the existing variable(the weapon's enhancement bonus) or adding to the existing variable. Both are relative rather than absolute but the first uses only 1 variable while the second uses multiple.

Int weaponEnhancementBonus = 1;

Function Bane
{
If(baneCondition == True)
{
weaponEnhancementBonus = weaponEnhancementBonus +2;
}
}

Function Magebane
{
If(magebaneCondition == True)
{
weaponEnhancementBonus = weaponEnhancementBonus +2;
}
}

Int weaponEnhancementBonus = 1;
Int baneBonus = 0;
Int magebaneBonus = 0;

Function Bane
{
If(baneCondition == True)
{
baneBonus = 2;
}
}

Function Magebane
{
If(magebaneCondition == True)
{
magebaneBonus = 2;
}
}

Glimbur
2015-11-26, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking I should just go magebane+holy rather than magebane+bane.

but yeah, it looks like I'll have to ask the DM whether the enhancement is +2 or +4

It's also worth noting that Mage Bane was nerfed by MiC. Complete Arcane has a much broader list of what it applies against, but the Magic Item Compendium restricts it to things that (in my opinion) are more reasonably called mages.