PDA

View Full Version : Ways to reduce acp

FocusWolf413
2015-11-25, 01:51 PM
How can I a mithral breastplate with zero acp? That -1 acp is really annoying me. The least expensive permanent fix is the best.

Beheld
2015-11-25, 02:06 PM
Well... technically it says that the masterworks costs are included in the description of the mithral special ability, but it doesn't say that the mithral armor modifications are included, so arguably mithril -3 + masterwork -1 equals -4.

Curmudgeon
2015-11-25, 02:49 PM
Well... technically it says that the masterworks costs are included in the description of the mithral special ability, but it doesn't say that the mithral armor modifications are included, so arguably mithril -3 + masterwork -1 equals -4.
What you propose is impossible: that there's a non-masterwork version of mithral which can be enhanced by masterwork construction.
Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.
It's not just the cost that's included.

Beheld
2015-11-25, 03:02 PM
What you propose is impossible: that there's a non-masterwork version of mithral which can be enhanced by masterwork construction.
It's not just the cost that's included.

My entire point was that it specifically says that 1) "all mithril is masterwork" 2) "the cost is included above."

Since it doesn't say that the benefits of masterwork is included, maybe you add the benefits together. It doesn't matter if there is or isn't non masterwork mithril. There is no such thing as a Flaming Sword without a +1, but the flaming sword bonus description doesn't include the +1 to hit in it's entry. It's a purely technical argument, but some people like those.

Aleolus
2015-11-25, 03:28 PM
If your DM is willing to permit this particular source, then there is the feat Armor Focus from AEG's book Feats. +1 Competence bonus to AC when wearing selected category of armor (Light, Medium, Heavy), and acp is reduced by 1. You can also further improve it by taking Armor Specialization and Armor Mastery from the same book, that will make the competence bonus go up to a 6. Won't get any more help with the acp, but still

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-25, 03:46 PM
There's an armor enhancement in MIC. Nimble or Nimbleness or something like that (AFB at the moment). It's a +1 bonus though, so it isn't really worth the cost for a measly -1 ACP. There's also the Halfweight enhancement in Underdark but i can't remember if it just made all armor light or also included lessened ACP. Either way, it has the same problems.

There's the item of reknown/fame/legend from War of the Lance (a Dragonlance sourcebook), which is probably the cheapest option if you can get it allowed. It's third party and relatively obscure though.

The Hellforged template (DMG2) reduces ACP by 1 iirc, in exchange for a lower dex bonus and more ASF. It costs 1000gp iirc, making it the cheapest option in an official source.

Or you could just wear a mithral chain shirt + masterwork dastana for the same AC, no acp and more pieces to enhance.

Crake
2015-11-26, 02:07 AM
There's an armor enhancement in MIC. Nimble or Nimbleness or something like that (AFB at the moment). It's a +1 bonus though, so it isn't really worth the cost for a measly -1 ACP.

It actually reduces the acp by 2, but it also ups the max dex by 1, so if your dex is high enough, or you forsee it getting high enough (if you're a dex warrior or something) then it would kinda be like a +1 enhancement in addition to a reduced ACP (who doesn't like fullplate with a +4 max dex and -1 ACP?).

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-26, 03:26 AM
It actually reduces the acp by 2, but it also ups the max dex by 1, so if your dex is high enough, or you forsee it getting high enough (if you're a dex warrior or something) then it would kinda be like a +1 enhancement in addition to a reduced ACP (who doesn't like fullplate with a +4 max dex and -1 ACP?).

I actually avoid full plate (or anything above light armor) because of the speed reduction. ACP is generally easy enough to deal with, but "you can't move far enough to attack X this round" is just annoying, along with all the other problems low speed can cause. (Non-touch) AC just isn't that valuable imo.

Crake
2015-11-26, 04:15 AM
I actually avoid full plate (or anything above light armor) because of the speed reduction. ACP is generally easy enough to deal with, but "you can't move far enough to attack X this round" is just annoying, along with all the other problems low speed can cause. (Non-touch) AC just isn't that valuable imo.

That's what being a dwarf barbarian is for :smalltongue: (or really just get some boots of striding and springing)